Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How hard you should grip?

Go down 
+6
ironstarz
costajos
scottycollector
enwee
Tokkokking
NikeN
10 posters
AuthorMessage
NikeN
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
NikeN

How hard you should grip? Empty
PostSubject: How hard you should grip?   How hard you should grip? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2012 2:46 pm

All golf text book first chapter will talk about gripping, and how much strength you should to put on your grip. Normally the advice is 50-60% of full strength.
As a newbie that always exploring, suddenly i have a different thought.

1. Should the gripping strength proportional to swing speed, instead of following general guideline - 50% of full strength grip?
2. Should we have solid/firm grip but relax our wrist, instead of relaxing on our gripping?

Appreciate advice from pro and bro here. Sorry if this is a stupid question. Razz
Back to top Go down
Tokkokking
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How hard you should grip?   How hard you should grip? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2012 2:51 pm

I think it should be very soft.
I heard coaches saying the softer the grip is, the faster the clubhead speed.
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: How hard you should grip?   How hard you should grip? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2012 2:53 pm

I try to grip as light as possible. But still the club head speed not so fast.
Back to top Go down
scottycollector
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
scottycollector

PostSubject: Re: How hard you should grip?   How hard you should grip? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2012 3:08 pm

hello bro,

1. Im not sure if I understand your question. Are you saying that the faster the swing speed, the tighter the grip? or the faster the swing speed, the lighter the grip? Generally speaking, a tighter grip in fact makes it harder to swing fast. a lighter grip promotes faster hands and hence faster swing speed
2. Its hard to have a firm grip, yet relax your wrists. The 2 are connected. The harder you grip, the tighter your wrists will be.

As to how hard you grip, i think once again, it's very much down to personal preference and what works. Some ppl find that they have more control when they grip tighter and make their swing less wristy. Personally i prefer a lighter grip that allows my wrists to stay lively.

Back to top Go down
costajos
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How hard you should grip?   How hard you should grip? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2012 3:10 pm

these advice should have come earlier... i used to grip so hard until got trigger finger Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: How hard you should grip?   How hard you should grip? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2012 3:12 pm

costajos wrote:
these advice should have come earlier... i used to grip so hard until got trigger finger Crying or Very sad
Actually someone told me before, the grip should be firm and not hard.
Back to top Go down
costajos
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How hard you should grip?   How hard you should grip? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2012 3:12 pm

enwee wrote:
costajos wrote:

what is the difference?
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: How hard you should grip?   How hard you should grip? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2012 3:19 pm

costajos wrote:
enwee wrote:
costajos wrote:

what is the difference?
firm as in the grip should be just enough for you to let go your club face and the club. Hard, I'm sure many of the people here seen before in range or on course, some people gripped it so tight that you can even see the veins of the arms.
Back to top Go down
ironstarz
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
ironstarz

PostSubject: Re: How hard you should grip?   How hard you should grip? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2012 3:44 pm

I heard that a gripping it hard does make it harder the wrist to rotate at release
Back to top Go down
abadan
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
abadan

PostSubject: Re: How hard you should grip?   How hard you should grip? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2012 3:55 pm

Grip for me is the hardest thing to change cus anything new just feel weird and feels like I dun have a firm enough grip of the club. After breaking my left pinky and ring finger, I've changed to a baseball grip and gripping quite tightly as I am afraid the club might just slip off my hands.

Alot of ppl emphasize on grip pressure. And it's also a proven fact that lighter grip pressure will give u faster clubhead speed and thus increase in distance.

A relaxed hand means relaxed forearm, upper arms and sboulders. Gripping it hard will make ur entire upper body tense up. This will hinder alot of things. Soft, supple muscles perform the best. Smile

Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

PostSubject: Re: How hard you should grip?   How hard you should grip? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2012 4:00 pm

enwee wrote:
costajos wrote:
enwee wrote:
costajos wrote:

what is the difference?
firm as in the grip should be just enough for you to let go your club face and the club. Hard, I'm sure many of the people here seen before in range or on course, some people gripped it so tight that you can even see the veins of the arms.
Hard is like you grip a tube of toothpaste and squeeze out all the toothpaste?
Firm is like you grip the tube and people are not able to snatch away the tube of toothpaste from you, but you don't squeeze out the toothpaste?

I got other bad analogies, but I think they are a bit "R/X" rated.... albino

Personally I think you need to grip it hard enough so that the clubface does not twist upon impact on off-centre hits or if it gets caught in the rough... then again.. i don't know much about golf.. so take it with a pinch of salt.
Back to top Go down
Tokkokking
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How hard you should grip?   How hard you should grip? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2012 4:29 pm

I used to grip it super hard and both arms are super tense. Until my fingers, palms got strange aches which hasnt gone away. And I was super inconsistent with my swings, sometimes 7i goes 120m, sometimes barely 70m.

Then went for trial lesson at stargolf. Paul (the instructor) asked me to relax, relax... kept saying too tense. I took 2 hrs to figure out how to relax after the end of the trial class. Ended up doing half-swings for 100balls for 7i which went abt 60m.

I wasnt too convinced with the soft grip.

Then I tried the next day, still only half swings for 50ball which went abt 60-70m. But I could feel the weight of the club-head taking over to sweep the ball off the mat. Really felt very effortless. I was able to get more than 70% of my balls straight and into the air.

I went for a third day, half swings for 15balls which went abt 60-70m again. Almost all the balls went into the air and straight. Then I back-side itchy and tried 3/4 swing. Initially, I thought I could get inconsistent and mishit the balls but I hit them all about 100m with +/- 5m dispersion. Then back side itchy, tried 6i 3/4 swing, went abt 110 or so with +/- 5m dispersion.

The sweep the ball off the mat feeling without much strength and more consistency was great feeling.

I'm so afraid to lose this nice feeling.

The soft grip really feels like the tube of toothpaste may come off my hands but it was enough to hold it in place. I think if we have the left palm wrapped nicely around the grip, dont have to worry about the club flying off.

Back to top Go down
costajos
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How hard you should grip?   How hard you should grip? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2012 4:32 pm

Ssquirrel wrote:
enwee wrote:
costajos wrote:
enwee wrote:
costajos wrote:

what is the difference?
Hard is like you grip a tube of toothpaste and squeeze out all the toothpaste?
Firm is like you grip the tube and people are not able to snatch away the tube of toothpaste from you, but you don't squeeze out the toothpaste?

I got other bad analogies, but I think they are a bit "R/X" rated.... albino

Personally I think you need to grip it hard enough so that the clubface does not twist upon impact on off-centre hits or if it gets caught in the rough... then again.. i don't know much about golf.. so take it with a pinch of salt.

more analogies will be useful - all in the name of better golf lol!
Back to top Go down
NikeN
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
NikeN

PostSubject: Re: How hard you should grip?   How hard you should grip? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2012 5:00 pm

scottycollector wrote:
hello bro,

1. Im not sure if I understand your question. Are you saying that the faster the swing speed, the tighter the grip? or the faster the swing speed, the lighter the grip? Generally speaking, a tighter grip in fact makes it harder to swing fast. a lighter grip promotes faster hands and hence faster swing speed
2. Its hard to have a firm grip, yet relax your wrists. The 2 are connected. The harder you grip, the tighter your wrists will be.

As to how hard you grip, i think once again, it's very much down to personal preference and what works. Some ppl find that they have more control when they grip tighter and make their swing less wristy. Personally i prefer a lighter grip that allows my wrists to stay lively.

Thx for all your inputs!!! Very Happy

1. Thought if one want to swing faster, he need to grip the club harder to make sure it dont slip.
2. Agree with the connection. Maybe i should put it this way, should we have dynamic strength on gripping throughout the swing?
Means during down swing grip it firm (harder), after contact with the ball, loosen the wrist(& grip) and arm to release the club.

Sorry costajos, i shouldn't used the word hard, firm is the more proper description. Hard grip is always wrong approach. Beer
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: How hard you should grip?   How hard you should grip? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2012 7:07 pm

kenkong79 wrote:

2. Agree with the connection. Maybe i should put it this way, should we have dynamic strength on gripping throughout the swing?
Means during down swing grip it firm (harder), after contact with the ball, loosen the wrist(& grip) and arm to release the club.

I believe you will screw up more on your swing if you do the above. Try to feel the weight of the club head .. the tighter you grip, the harder you feel the weight and the harder you can swing fast.

If you grip harder during down swing, you will eventually use more hand during down swing (more problem with the swing). I am sure you knew you do not use your hand when you want to swing fast ....
Back to top Go down
wilkang
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
wilkang

PostSubject: Re: How hard you should grip?   How hard you should grip? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2012 7:16 pm

http://www.golfrepublic.org/t6556-how-your-grip-can-screw-up-your-whole-game

A post some time back...you may find it useful..cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How hard you should grip?   How hard you should grip? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How hard you should grip?
Page 1 of 1