Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Grip method

Go down 
+4
bkll
hoppie
duffader
Duval_S
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

Grip method Empty
PostSubject: Grip method   Grip method I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 9:03 am

I used to grip with my left hands gripping the club at the fingers.....

But past 3 games, I have gone back to gripping along my palm...and I am hitting my irons better...much better. As usual, I was undergoing my training last nite in front of TV watching 'Tips by Jack'...and he does the same thing too which gives me assurance that I am not the odd ball.

so ...WTF am I posting.??? ...just sharing my pursuit to the Top 1000 ranking in GR.
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

Grip method Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grip method   Grip method I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 9:17 am

Eh... using the palm? will it be awkward for the release?
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

Grip method Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grip method   Grip method I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 11:59 am

not palm palm per say

but fm the start of the trigger finger across to the 'fatty' part of the palm
Back to top Go down
hoppie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

Grip method Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grip method   Grip method I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 12:50 pm

I view this video to know the difference in placing the club near the fatty area and the finger area. I even draw on my hands to try it out Razz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYYYfFDTZrk
Back to top Go down
bkll
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
bkll

Grip method Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grip method   Grip method I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 1:19 pm

The trade-off will be less power due to less wrist-cock.

Do you find your drives shorter with this grip?
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

Grip method Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grip method   Grip method I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 3:46 pm

Quote :
bkll wrote:
The trade-off will be less power due to less wrist-cock.

Do you find your drives shorter with this grip?

I tot so too...but being a Seasoned beginner, I am getting better distance becos I am hitting it more on the sweet spot now...
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

Grip method Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grip method   Grip method I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 6:12 pm

using fingers (end of pinky, second last 'bend' of index) i slice or hook a lot (even my faults cannot be consistent Sad ) but when really hit one on the screws will go a long way. use to be 1-2 times a game, down to once every 3 game so now use the other method

maybe across the palm is for beginners and SB alike, more consistent but less potential distance
Back to top Go down
TheFocalPoint
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
TheFocalPoint

Grip method Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grip method   Grip method I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 6:21 pm

Classic example of paralysis by analysis.
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

Grip method Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grip method   Grip method I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 6:28 pm

TheFocalPoint wrote:
Classic example of paralysis by analysis.

that's is the trait of a beginner....that how golf company makes money.

golfWRX is a haven for all the theories, after reading all the post, sometimes one will start to believe...all beginners wants to believe they can easily hit 280-300 yards like the seasoned WRXers.

dont get me started on Ben Hogan's left hand grip......
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

Grip method Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grip method   Grip method I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 8:56 pm

Duval

Among all the weird and unique threads you start, I must say this is one of the more impt but often overlooked topic.

The grip is very very often, the most overlooked aspect of the golf game. When you neglect it, you will find that your ballstriking will inadvertently suffer too.

A good golf grip does not necessarily mean you will automatically own a good swing but a bad one is a sure way to guarantee compensations in your motion.

Different successful golfers have different methods of gripping the club. Moe Norman and Jack Nicklaus are 2 individuals that played the game holding the club in the left palm but majority of the golfers are taught to grip it in a more 'orthodox' way of running it diagonally across the palm.

I would think the focus should be slightly more in the orientation of the hand in relation to your set-up. Many ppl while gripping it in the fingers will tend to have a very 'weak' grip in that they only can see 1 knuckle of the left hand at address.

I have tried weak, strong, more in the palms, more in the fingers for the left hand grip and all will produce different ball flight tendencies and consistencies. If you have the time experiment, go for it. you will teach yourself more about the game.

What also is commonly neglected is the way the right hand grips the club. Very many ppl have it almost in their palms or too strong with it having it almost under the grip. This has more effect on your ballstriking than you can imagine.

A good coach will work with your grip 1st before anything else when you are starting out. Afterall, its the only part of the body connected to the golf club throughout the swing. However, I am still amazed at the countless times I have seen students at golf academies just wacking away at balls with the pro making no attempt at correcting that aspect of the game at all.

There will always be players who have their unque ways of gripping the club but the world has more ppl being successful in the game gripping it more conventionally.
Back to top Go down
ironhead
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Grip method Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grip method   Grip method I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 12:40 am

S70B wrote:
Duval

Among all the weird and unique threads you start, I must say this is one of the more impt but often overlooked topic.

The grip is very very often, the most overlooked aspect of the golf game. When you neglect it, you will find that your ballstriking will inadvertently suffer too.

A good golf grip does not necessarily mean you will automatically own a good swing but a bad one is a sure way to guarantee compensations in your motion.

Different successful golfers have different methods of gripping the club. Moe Norman and Jack Nicklaus are 2 individuals that played the game holding the club in the left palm but majority of the golfers are taught to grip it in a more 'orthodox' way of running it diagonally across the palm.

I would think the focus should be slightly more in the orientation of the hand in relation to your set-up. Many ppl while gripping it in the fingers will tend to have a very 'weak' grip in that they only can see 1 knuckle of the left hand at address.

I have tried weak, strong, more in the palms, more in the fingers for the left hand grip and all will produce different ball flight tendencies and consistencies. If you have the time experiment, go for it. you will teach yourself more about the game.

What also is commonly neglected is the way the right hand grips the club. Very many ppl have it almost in their palms or too strong with it having it almost under the grip. This has more effect on your ballstriking than you can imagine.

A good coach will work with your grip 1st before anything else when you are starting out. Afterall, its the only part of the body connected to the golf club throughout the swing. However, I am still amazed at the countless times I have seen students at golf academies just wacking away at balls with the pro making no attempt at correcting that aspect of the game at all.

There will always be players who have their unque ways of gripping the club but the world has more ppl being successful in the game gripping it more conventionally.

+1
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Grip method Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grip method   Grip method I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Grip method
Page 1 of 1