Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Distance marker from Fairway to Flag

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
shawnyswsg
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Distance marker from Fairway to Flag Empty
PostSubject: Distance marker from Fairway to Flag   Distance marker from Fairway to Flag I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2012 2:47 pm

Hopefully, someone can advise me if the distance marker that is on the fairway ground, does it take into account of the dog-leg left and rights, hill and valleys (i.e. straight to flag) or is it a distance marker that follows the contours of the fairways.
Back to top Go down
costajos
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Distance marker from Fairway to Flag   Distance marker from Fairway to Flag I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2012 2:53 pm

if i'm not wrong its to centre of green. that's why there are different colour flags to indicate whether pin is closer, further, or centre.
Back to top Go down
costajos
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Distance marker from Fairway to Flag   Distance marker from Fairway to Flag I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2012 2:54 pm

costajos wrote:
if i'm not wrong its to centre of green. that's why there are different colour flags to indicate whether pin is closer, further, or centre.

oops and is following the fairway.
Back to top Go down
shawnyswsg
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Distance marker from Fairway to Flag   Distance marker from Fairway to Flag I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2012 3:05 pm

Ok Thanks. Which means if there is a valley inbetween, and the marker says 100m, it is actually less than that because the horizontal distance is less?
Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TourSwing

PostSubject: Re: Distance marker from Fairway to Flag   Distance marker from Fairway to Flag I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2012 3:15 pm

Logically speaking if you stand on a distance marker and use a rangefinder to get the distance to a center pin ... The numbers should be within a few yards of each other ... Hope that makes sense, and answers your question

However, the hole's total distance on the tee and scorecard, is not based on a direct line to the green ... and follows a more conventional approach to the green
Back to top Go down
freedrop
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
freedrop

PostSubject: Re: Distance marker from Fairway to Flag   Distance marker from Fairway to Flag I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2012 6:04 pm

shawnyswsg wrote:
Hopefully, someone can advise me if the distance marker that is on the fairway ground, does it take into account of the dog-leg left and rights, hill and valleys (i.e. straight to flag) or is it a distance marker that follows the contours of the fairways.

According to USGA Handicap Manual, the distances follows the contour of the fairways.

For dog- legged holes, the distance is measured from the tee box to the center of the fairways at the bend, called the pivot point. Then from there, it is measured to the center of the green.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Distance marker from Fairway to Flag   Distance marker from Fairway to Flag I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Distance marker from Fairway to Flag
Page 1 of 1