Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Flag in or out?

Go down 
+19
duffader
buweeza
Dan5
asahi
shorthitter
blee67
AC
Technospaz
mUAr_cHEe
hkhamateur
freedrop
Shanks!
peace2903
Birdman
chien
haragolfer
enwee
TourSwing
Duval_S
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

Flag in or out? Empty
PostSubject: Flag in or out?   Flag in or out? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 10:19 pm

What's the diff?
Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TourSwing

Flag in or out? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flag in or out?   Flag in or out? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 10:21 pm

No diff for me as ball wont even come close!!
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

Flag in or out? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flag in or out?   Flag in or out? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 10:23 pm

Doesn't matter, if it'll drop, it'll drop...doesn't matter in or out.
Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy
haragolfer

Flag in or out? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flag in or out?   Flag in or out? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 10:25 pm

always in, when possible.
Back to top Go down
chien
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
chien

Flag in or out? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flag in or out?   Flag in or out? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 11:26 pm

Duval_S wrote:
What's the diff?

Hi hi

Not sure what you looking for, but the responds are funnier... Haha...

Are you asking when should the flag be in and out? Or is it better to leave the flag in the hole..?

Happy to share once you explain further...
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

Flag in or out? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flag in or out?   Flag in or out? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 12:49 am

First, can chip on line or not?

If chips are left or right of pin consistently, then doesn't matter whether pin in or out lor...

If on line, then definitely pin in better (caveat is that the pin is sitting upright in the centre of the cup), since the pin acts as a backstop for an aggressive chip. There are some who contend that the pin in could deflect the ball away from the cup. Yet if the ball is deflected by the pin, then that would mean that the chip was too aggressive anyway, it would follow then that with the pin out, the ball would still just fly over the hole. So pin in is still the better choice IMO.

As for why some pros prefer the pin out, one reason I have heard is that the hole is bigger. But Dave Pelz once wrote an article in Golf Magazine that proved with numbers in an experiment with the pin both out and in, that pin in is the practical and better choice.

Last edited by Birdman on Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
peace2903
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

Flag in or out? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flag in or out?   Flag in or out? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 1:13 am

I thought whether flag in or out is governed by Rules of Golf.
Flag out only if hitting from green right (unless someone is tending to the flag fir identifying purpose), chipping from outside the green is flag in. Tatz what I understand reading ROG years back, not sure any chg in rules.... Smile
Back to top Go down
chien
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
chien

Flag in or out? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flag in or out?   Flag in or out? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 7:20 am

peace2903 wrote:
Flag out only if hitting from green right (unless someone is tending to the flag fir identifying purpose), chipping from outside the green is flag in. Tatz what I understand reading ROG years back, not sure any chg in rules.... Smile

As my questioned asked, makes no sense to continue comment on this thread if the issues at hand are not clear. You guys are just assuming what was asked.
Back to top Go down
Shanks!
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Shanks!

Flag in or out? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flag in or out?   Flag in or out? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 7:31 am

Though my chances of hitting the flag are pretty slim....

Typically in, with exception for up slope chips. I will hit it s bit more aggressive up slope and if it hits the pin and rolls downhill, I am looking at a long putt back up.

But for me usually I chilli-dip and it falls way short...
Back to top Go down
freedrop
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
freedrop

Flag in or out? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flag in or out?   Flag in or out? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 9:50 am

chien wrote:
peace2903 wrote:

As my questioned asked, makes no sense to continue comment on this thread if the issues at hand are not clear. You guys are just assuming what was asked.

I think most people will assume the question to be a case of chipping from outside the green.

When I chip uphill to the hole, I take the pin out. When chipping downhill, I leave the pin in to stop the ball's momentum.

Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
hkhamateur

Flag in or out? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flag in or out?   Flag in or out? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 10:24 am

Played along w e rules myself n kakis. Very Happy
Requested my flight mate to hold on pin in any case i ve god's luck if i m gonna chip or putt fm outside near. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

Flag in or out? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flag in or out?   Flag in or out? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 10:26 am

chien wrote:
peace2903 wrote:

If you know Duval, and we know Duval, the exact purpose of this thread is to invite comments, assumptions or not.

So why not add value to the thread when he's taken the effort to generate traffic on this forum, kudos to him.

Anywaysssss.....

From my limited understanding, when the ball is on the green, the pin has to be out, or there is a penalty when the ball hits the pin going into the hole.

Just off the green, it's player's choice to have the pin in or out.

Please feel free to add on or correct me. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

Flag in or out? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flag in or out?   Flag in or out? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 10:28 am

hubes... so what do u do on good friday?
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

Flag in or out? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flag in or out?   Flag in or out? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 10:33 am

mUAr_cHEe wrote:

Be good lor. geek
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

Flag in or out? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flag in or out?   Flag in or out? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 10:34 am

i should have called in this week... ben and jerrys voucher better... is there a time limit between wins?
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

Flag in or out? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flag in or out?   Flag in or out? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 10:35 am

No lah... morning still going on air to talk rubbish, but with a bit more respect, then rush off to play golf, that is, if the game is confirmed.

Must remember to wear green in honour of the Masters this week. Razz
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

Flag in or out? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flag in or out?   Flag in or out? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 10:37 am

mUAr_cHEe wrote:
i should have called in this week... ben and jerrys voucher better... is there a time limit between wins?

Last Topic OFF

Got, 6 weeks officially. Good luck

Sorry Duval.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

Flag in or out? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flag in or out?   Flag in or out? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 10:38 am

I've had several birdies and par-saves thanks to the flag being in the hole. If not the ball would run way past. So, for me, I'd like the flag in the hole Smile
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

Flag in or out? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flag in or out?   Flag in or out? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 10:44 am

Technospaz wrote:
I've had several birdies and par-saves thanks to the flag being in the hole. If not the ball would run way past. So, for me, I'd like the flag in the hole Smile

I second that.

I've even seen someone hit a shot that was supposed to sail way past, and the flag caught andwrapped itself around the ball like a baseball glove, the ball fell right beside the hole.

What luck!

Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

Flag in or out? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flag in or out?   Flag in or out? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 10:48 am

somehow i got more confidence with the flag out.
Back to top Go down
AC
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
AC

Flag in or out? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flag in or out?   Flag in or out? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 10:56 am

I like to take flag out and "nonchalantly" put it 20 inches behind the hole, perpendicular to my line of putt.

somehow, still 3 putt ....
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

Flag in or out? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flag in or out?   Flag in or out? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 11:00 am

AC wrote:
I like to take flag out and "nonchalantly" put it 20 inches behind the hole, perpendicular to my line of putt.

somehow, still 3 putt ....

Why? Because you hit the pin and got penalty stroke? ROFL
Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
hkhamateur

Flag in or out? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flag in or out?   Flag in or out? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 11:01 am

Birdman wrote:
Technospaz wrote:

I second that.

I've even seen someone hit a shot that was supposed to sail way past, and the flag caught andwrapped itself around the ball like a baseball glove, the ball fell right beside the hole.

What luck!

Hehehe...it happened fr me once. Laughing
Fm bunker shot somemore!! Very Happy
My flight mates declare playg level liao...kena makan lor!! silent
So nt worth.... Wink
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

Flag in or out? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flag in or out?   Flag in or out? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 11:03 am

Birdman wrote:
Technospaz wrote:

I second that.

What luck!

Birdy, that sounds familiar... Were we on the same flight then?
Back to top Go down
freedrop
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
freedrop

Flag in or out? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flag in or out?   Flag in or out? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 11:04 am

Birdman wrote:
mUAr_cHEe wrote:

Be good lor. geek

Good Friday is for crucifixion, ,how to be good when you are nailing down others?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Flag in or out? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flag in or out?   Flag in or out? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Flag in or out?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next