Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Placing ball on fairway

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
aling
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Placing ball on fairway Empty
PostSubject: Placing ball on fairway   Placing ball on fairway I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 15, 2012 10:37 pm

I was watching the LPGA event on golf channel and saw 2 players getting balls from their caddies and placing them on the fairway for the shot. Thought not supposed to touch ball in play?
What circumstance can render that legal?
Back to top Go down
jhan18
Playing Professional
Playing Professional
jhan18

PostSubject: Re: Placing ball on fairway   Placing ball on fairway I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 15, 2012 10:52 pm

Lift clean and place(also known as preferred lie) is a rule that comes into play when the tournament director deems the closely mown areas of the golf course besides the greens or tee box(fairway, fringe) wet or muddy because of rainfall. This rule must be however enforced before the commencement of play.

When enforced, a player may Lift, clean and place his/her ball.The player is to mark his/her ball prior to lifting the ball. The ball may clean the ball and it may be placed in a preferred lie within a scorecard length of its original position.
Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
nutty88

PostSubject: Re: Placing ball on fairway   Placing ball on fairway I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 12:12 pm

I thought I saw a club length from its original position?
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Placing ball on fairway   Placing ball on fairway I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 12:19 pm

jhan18 wrote:
Lift clean and place(also known as preferred lie) is a rule that comes into play when the tournament director deems the closely mown areas of the golf course besides the greens or tee box(fairway, fringe) wet or muddy because of rainfall. This rule must be however enforced before the commencement of play.

When enforced, a player may Lift, clean and place his/her ball.The player is to mark his/her ball prior to lifting the ball. The ball may clean the ball and it may be placed in a preferred lie within a scorecard length of its original position.
Speaking of this preferred lie, I saw some holes had this sign, some don't in some courses. So do we applied this rules throughout or only for that few holes or not at all? Because normal playing no one said abt this before the start of game.
Back to top Go down
jhan18
Playing Professional
Playing Professional
jhan18

PostSubject: Re: Placing ball on fairway   Placing ball on fairway I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 2:45 pm

nutty88 wrote:
I thought I saw a club length from its original position?

Must have been really wet. I played in an event in Malaysia that allowed us to drop within 2 club lengths
Back to top Go down
jhan18
Playing Professional
Playing Professional
jhan18

PostSubject: Re: Placing ball on fairway   Placing ball on fairway I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 2:47 pm

enwee wrote:
jhan18 wrote:

Speaking of this preferred lie, I saw some holes had this sign, some don't in some courses. So do we applied this rules throughout or only for that few holes or not at all? Because normal playing no one said abt this before the start of game.

Only on the holes stated in that instance
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Placing ball on fairway   Placing ball on fairway I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 3:04 pm

jhan18 wrote:
enwee wrote:
jhan18 wrote:

Only on the holes stated in that instance
Thks...I would notice. Next time would know what to do.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Placing ball on fairway   Placing ball on fairway I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Placing ball on fairway
Page 1 of 1