Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Different address positions for different clubs

Go down 
+6
shorthitter
pysimy
iluvcookies
kef529
Slicer51
DC73
10 posters
AuthorMessage
DC73
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
DC73

Different address positions for different clubs Empty
PostSubject: Different address positions for different clubs   Different address positions for different clubs I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2012 8:05 pm

Hi guys,

During my golf lessons many years back, i was told that 7-iron should be address at the center of both feets, 6-iron to 3-iron slightly to the left and 8-iron onward to the right of the center position.

Over these years, i realized there are different school of thoughts. E.g All Irons be address at the center position.

With the different lofts on clubs from i3 to SW etc. I find it more logical that the center position should be the address point for all irons. Reason being that the loft will be increase/decrease with the different address positions.

My questions are:
1) What is your views and address position for irons?
2) What is/are the reasons for the different school of thoughts? (If it differ from what my perceptions)

Appreciate if any pros / low handicappers out here can enlighten me on my doubt as above.
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: Different address positions for different clubs   Different address positions for different clubs I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2012 8:41 pm

Bro, you asked like that.Who will share if there are not pro or low HCP player ? lol! Beer
Back to top Go down
DC73
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
DC73

PostSubject: Re: Different address positions for different clubs   Different address positions for different clubs I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2012 9:12 pm

Sorry sorry! Paisei!

It would be great if everyone can contribute their opinions to the questions.

Back to top Go down
kef529
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
kef529

PostSubject: Re: Different address positions for different clubs   Different address positions for different clubs I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2012 11:03 pm

IMO, only you yourself knows which is the most suitable address position. Everyone swings differently.
Back to top Go down
iluvcookies
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Different address positions for different clubs   Different address positions for different clubs I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2012 2:57 am

i have. a one ball position from my wedges thru my 3 wood except my driver. My ball is always approx. 5 inches off my left heel. If im hitting a short iron i'll stand closer in with my right foot, but my left is always 5 inches off the ball. I find more consistency thru out my swing. I hope that helps.
Back to top Go down
pysimy
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Different address positions for different clubs   Different address positions for different clubs I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 12:35 pm

I started golf for about a year now. When I was learning thru' an instructor, he initially placed the ball position like you mentioned, i.e. ball in the middle of stance for 7 iron. But I was consistently hitting to the right. After correcting and observing my swing for a couple of lessons, he adjusted my ball position about a ball width forward, i.e. closer to left heel, and I was hitting straighter (I'm right handed). I believe every individual has his slightly unique swing from the ideal standard.

So like what Kef said, you might want to trial and error and find the ideal ball positions for yourself. Just make sure you have a consistent swing to start with.

Fyi, my driver ball position is aligned to my left toes instead of the "standard left heel". Happy golfing! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

PostSubject: Re: Different address positions for different clubs   Different address positions for different clubs I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 1:21 pm

The length of the club varies,(as you know). So if you have 5 iron ball position same as 9 iron ball position you will hit mostly fat shots that go right.
Back to top Go down
http://www.2telgolf.com
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: Different address positions for different clubs   Different address positions for different clubs I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 2:36 pm

Another way of positioning the ball vis a vis the length of club

http://www.golftoday.co.uk/proshop/features/consistent_ball_position.html

Basically left of center / inside left heel. As the club gets longer, move the right foot left further apart. Vice versa for shorter clubs, move the right foot closer

Many ways to skin a cat!
Back to top Go down
jeffman88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jeffman88

PostSubject: Re: Different address positions for different clubs   Different address positions for different clubs I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 3:30 pm

pocketace wrote:

Basically left of center / inside left heel. As the club gets longer, move the right foot left further apart. Vice versa for shorter clubs, move the right foot closer

Many ways to skin a cat!

good alternate way of positioning ball at address! learnt something new... Smile thanks for sharing.... pocketace!
Back to top Go down
DC73
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
DC73

PostSubject: Re: Different address positions for different clubs   Different address positions for different clubs I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 8:57 pm

pocketace wrote:

Many ways to skin a cat!

Thanks for the input ! This makes sense and answered my question definitely !
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: Different address positions for different clubs   Different address positions for different clubs I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 10:00 pm

Try this youtube video.

Hope it helps

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=5Ua6urTmOnU&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D5Ua6urTmOnU&gl=GB
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Different address positions for different clubs   Different address positions for different clubs I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 10:56 pm

The great Jack Nicklaus positions all his clubs (maybe except Driver) at about 2-3 inches off his left heel ...

Last edited by Turbo on Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:01 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Different address positions for different clubs   Different address positions for different clubs I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 11:00 pm

However, I personally position the ball like what the above video (posted by Denmeister) mentioned ...

Happy golfin'

cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Different address positions for different clubs   Different address positions for different clubs I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Different address positions for different clubs
Page 1 of 1