Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

7 iron question

Go down 
+6
TourSwing
nutty88
chien
DGman
TheFocalPoint
renode
10 posters
AuthorMessage
renode
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
renode

7 iron question Empty
PostSubject: 7 iron question   7 iron question I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2012 10:05 am

Hi, I have a burning question about 7 iron and its causing me not to concertrate on my work...

Can an average build male with an average swing speed of 85-90 mph, swing a 7 iron (standard loft 35 deg and standard length) and get a carry distance of 140-145m?

I'm torn between yes and no. I'm guessing the answer depends on the swing and flight of ball itself?

Can anyone advise? Tks.
Back to top Go down
TheFocalPoint
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
TheFocalPoint

7 iron question Empty
PostSubject: Re: 7 iron question   7 iron question I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2012 10:08 am

Yes he can.

The answer lies in your angle of attack and how much you are compressing the ball on impact.
Trying to 'lift' the ball with your body, hands and hence club would most likely be the culprit.

Now go concentrate on your work Smile

Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

7 iron question Empty
PostSubject: Re: 7 iron question   7 iron question I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2012 10:17 am

the best stats and actual distance is a gentleman who is about 1.65, swings it at a constant 72 mph on his 7 iron and gets it 150 meter on indoor range and on the actual course. his smash factor for the 7 iron is constantly at 1.4 plus.

a low single and for the record his driver is fitted with a lady flex Sakura 45g. he knows he have to change shaft every 6 months for wear and tear but he his happy with his 240 meters drive. one of the smoothest swing to come by the Den. Driver swing speed is below 90 mph and he wants it that way.

Plus he is ang moh...with no ego about his equipment but he has a swing and game to die for.

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
chien
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
chien

7 iron question Empty
PostSubject: Re: 7 iron question   7 iron question I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2012 10:24 am

renode wrote:
Hi, I have a burning question about 7 iron and its causing me not to concertrate on my work...

Can an average build male with an average swing speed of 85-90 mph, swing a 7 iron (standard loft 35 deg and standard length) and get a carry distance of 140-145m?

I'm torn between yes and no. I'm guessing the answer depends on the swing and flight of ball itself?

Can anyone advise? Tks.

Don't think so..

But a small built man with average iron swing speed of 85 can hit his 7 iron 140-145m on his 7 year old tourstage graphite stock shaft iron.. cheers

Moral of story? Size doesn't always matter... It is how you arrive and finish.. Laughing

Now, go out there and play some golf mate !! Beer

Back to top Go down
renode
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
renode

7 iron question Empty
PostSubject: Re: 7 iron question   7 iron question I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2012 10:41 am

Thanks to everyone.

I need to see a swing coach after finishing my work. Wasted such a gd day not to golf!
Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
nutty88

7 iron question Empty
PostSubject: Re: 7 iron question   7 iron question I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2012 10:56 am

I am 1.67m short and weigh 55kg. I can hit my 7i (standard length, loft, grip with nspro) 140m on course. The only problem I have is that it doesn't go where I want it to go.
Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TourSwing

7 iron question Empty
PostSubject: Re: 7 iron question   7 iron question I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2012 11:13 am

Former Masters winner Ian Woosnam is 1.64m!
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

7 iron question Empty
PostSubject: Re: 7 iron question   7 iron question I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2012 11:27 am

this is making me feel embarassed.

my 7 iron is only comfortable for 120m carry.

I think I need to ask myself if i am even fit to play with such long power golfers ....

@ MC....I will call you soon.
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

7 iron question Empty
PostSubject: Re: 7 iron question   7 iron question I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2012 11:40 am

Bro, do not worry about far but worry about accurate. One might hit 160m with a 7i but you hit 120m near to the pin for birdies or par. I like to be your partner anytime man Very Happy
Back to top Go down
scottycollector
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
scottycollector

7 iron question Empty
PostSubject: Re: 7 iron question   7 iron question I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2012 11:49 am

Slicer51 wrote:
Bro, do not worry about far but worry about accurate. One might hit 160m with a 7i but you hit 120m near to the pin for birdies or par. I like to be your partner anytime man Very Happy

i agree to some extent. however, for someone who hits his 7iron consistently to 120m, what club will he then be using for a 160m shot? Say its a 3 iron or 3 hybrid. How accurate will his 3iron or 3hybrid be? It may well be as accurate as someone who hits his 7iron to 160m. I think 7 iron to 120m (including roll) may be on the short side.

but in Duval's case, his 7iron to 120m is only for carry, and does not include roll. 120m carry for a 7iron is perfectly fine.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

7 iron question Empty
PostSubject: Re: 7 iron question   7 iron question I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2012 11:59 am

aiyoh.....I am consistently inconsistent nowadays....(think I used up a lot of good shots the first half of the year). 120m carry is pathetic la....sometimes I lie to myself.....I put a 9 iron cover to cover my 7 iron....

for anything tht is 182m and above....I accept my inability and LOFT...so I layup
Back to top Go down
abadan
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
abadan

7 iron question Empty
PostSubject: Re: 7 iron question   7 iron question I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2012 12:16 pm

One has to come to terms with losing distance and having ur frens outdrive you on every whole. But u can get them back with accuracy. Guys here got the point. Accuracy is always better than distance.

I agree with bro SC. the shorter u hit the ball.. the harder the game becomes. think about it. For eg. 350m par 4. for long hitters.. Driver/wedge. for not so long hitters.. Driver, mid-iron. easier to hit wedge or 6 or 7 iron? Accuracy? Ball trajectory?

How about par 3's? What is a not so long hitter supposed to do for 200m par 3s when long hitters only need like a 5 or 4 iron? PGA players were hitting 7 iron for 200+ yard par 3's. That's a HUGE advantage. esp since u'd need some form of spin or higher trajectory to get the ball to stop as soon as it can on the green.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

7 iron question Empty
PostSubject: Re: 7 iron question   7 iron question I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2012 12:17 pm

thanks adaban.....I manage my ego and expectation well.....I strive to be a sub100 player.

so far, I had been an overachiever ....hahahaha
Back to top Go down
TheFocalPoint
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
TheFocalPoint

7 iron question Empty
PostSubject: Re: 7 iron question   7 iron question I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2012 12:18 pm

abadan wrote:
One has to come to terms with losing distance and having ur frens outdrive you on every whole. But u can get them back with accuracy. Guys here got the point. Accuracy is always better than distance.

I agree with bro SC. the shorter u hit the ball.. the harder the game becomes. think about it. For eg. 350m par 4. for long hitters.. Driver/wedge. for not so long hitters.. Driver, mid-iron. easier to hit wedge or 6 or 7 iron? Accuracy? Ball trajectory?

How about par 3's? What is a not so long hitter supposed to do for 200m par 3s when long hitters only need like a 5 or 4 iron? PGA players were hitting 7 iron for 200+ yard par 3's. That's a HUGE advantage. esp since u'd need some form of spin or higher trajectory to get the ball to stop as soon as it can on the green.

use driver lah! Have you been to Changi Golf Club and seeing those oldies get on the 1st green 194m Par 3 with their driver? And consistently too.

I really wish the folks here would stop talking about their distance (or the lack of it).. it's like damn stale. really starting to stink.
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

7 iron question Empty
PostSubject: Re: 7 iron question   7 iron question I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2012 12:24 pm

scottycollector wrote:
Slicer51 wrote:

i agree to some extent. however, for someone who hits his 7iron consistently to 120m, what club will he then be using for a 160m shot? Say its a 3 iron or 3 hybrid. How accurate will his 3iron or 3hybrid be? It may well be as accurate as someone who hits his 7iron to 160m. I think 7 iron to 120m (including roll) may be on the short side.

but in Duval's case, his 7iron to 120m is only for carry, and does not include roll. 120m carry for a 7iron is perfectly fine.

I agreed bro but my point was comparing far distance and accurate. As for me, accurate will be more important vs very far but without direction. My driver only can go about 210 to 230 m with roll but accurate would be important for me compare if I can drive 280m all over the place.

If one can hit his 7i of 120m accurately, it show that his swing of impact and squaring the club face is good and consistent. I expect his 3i or 3h can produce the same result.

I also understand the longer the club the lesser the % of accuracy. However, if one hit 160m with 7i and land 15 -20 m off target on each side compare to one hit 160m with 3H with only 5-10m on each side. I will go for accuracy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

7 iron question Empty
PostSubject: Re: 7 iron question   7 iron question I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

7 iron question
Page 1 of 1