Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Are your clubs fitted properly (to you) ?

Go down 
+17
essentiale
shorthitter
jeffman88
IGT
eiji
Begbie
DRGjr72
Birdman
hoppie
scottycollector
audi
pushslice
BestofTheBest
Technospaz
nientsu
SigmaOne
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
SigmaOne
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
SigmaOne

Are your clubs fitted properly (to you) ? Empty
PostSubject: Are your clubs fitted properly (to you) ?   Are your clubs fitted properly (to you) ? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 12:24 pm

Many new or old golfers had buy new sets of irons off the rack, and didnt realize the grips are not in the right size (not suitable to them). Without correct gripping, bad habits can creep in, and the golfers will have a wrong impression of they got the wrong sets of clubs, or wrong specs. There are many ways to salvage a set of clubs if you are unhappy with them. Consult a custom fitting shop to look for options before u start the cycle again.

A correct grip can helps u yr best setup position, indirectly helping you to find yr own swing and stabilize it in the shortest possible time. Cheers

Last edited by SigmaOne on Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.SigmaGolfStudio.com
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

PostSubject: Re: Are your clubs fitted properly (to you) ?   Are your clubs fitted properly (to you) ? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 12:34 pm

Hi Sigma

Talking about gripping, care to share how to correctly grip a club?

I always got doubts on whether i am gripping correctly or not. When that happens, it just screws everythign up
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Are your clubs fitted properly (to you) ?   Are your clubs fitted properly (to you) ? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 12:37 pm

I have similar problems. I tend to overgrip my club which results in hooks and sometimes, swinging outside-in Sad
Back to top Go down
BestofTheBest
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
BestofTheBest

PostSubject: Re: Are your clubs fitted properly (to you) ?   Are your clubs fitted properly (to you) ? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 12:44 pm

i think he is referring to the Size of the grip that will affect the way we grip the club...

and also the weight of the grip with reference to the entire swing weight...

i had a friend who was playing well with his irons..

then he went to change grips and then his iron shots was disastrous...

after consulting club fitter, he discovered that the swing weight of his irons was a bit out...

Back to top Go down
SigmaOne
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
SigmaOne

PostSubject: Re: Are your clubs fitted properly (to you) ?   Are your clubs fitted properly (to you) ? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 12:52 pm

How to grip a club correctly: Consult a swing coach.
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Are your clubs fitted properly (to you) ?   Are your clubs fitted properly (to you) ? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 1:05 pm

what methods fitters use to determine the right grip size?

is it trial by error? i.e. having demo clubs with different grip size or is there a rule of thumb with a suggested range e.g. size 26 gloves should be around 1 layer or 2 layer etc

what would be the common effects of oversized grip? undersized grip? any signs that tell us of both (sore fingers, blister?)

many thanks!
Back to top Go down
audi
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
audi

PostSubject: Re: Are your clubs fitted properly (to you) ?   Are your clubs fitted properly (to you) ? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 1:29 pm

yes please advice. i got blisters too on my palm. my current grip is already 1 size bigger than my previous one, but still i got blisters.
Back to top Go down
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Are your clubs fitted properly (to you) ?   Are your clubs fitted properly (to you) ? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 2:21 pm

Any reason for variable thickness on left and right hand, ie 1 layer tape on left hand and 2 layer on right? Simply for feel or does it promote early/late closure of club face?
Back to top Go down
scottycollector
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
scottycollector

PostSubject: Re: Are your clubs fitted properly (to you) ?   Are your clubs fitted properly (to you) ? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 2:39 pm

i think grips have a profound effect on our swing, mainly cos it's the only direct connection between the club and our bodies.

- the weight of the grip will change the swingweight.

- the tackiness of the grip will literally affect how much grip you have. if it's too slippery, it will cause you to have to grip harder.

- the thickness will affect how quiet your hands / wrists will be. thicker grips are supposed to quieten your hands / wrists, very much like a thick putter grip would.

- the feel of the grip will affect your feel of the club

not sure what else...

anyway, i like lamkin crossline grips. for some reason i find them better than golfpride mc =)
Back to top Go down
hoppie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Are your clubs fitted properly (to you) ?   Are your clubs fitted properly (to you) ? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 6:37 pm

Hey Sigma, how do i determine my correct grip size? I was fitted by the Ping fitters so they measure based on my palm size but i feel it's abit too small to my comfort level.

On the other hand i tried putting 2 or 3 wraps on my new set of shaft but i feel that is abit thick, kind of sick of trial an error, is there a way to determine the correct grip size? Rather than fitting a set then go out and play, change again if don like.
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Are your clubs fitted properly (to you) ?   Are your clubs fitted properly (to you) ? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 8:17 pm

SigmaOne wrote:
Many new or old golfers had buy new sets of irons off the rack, and didnt realize the grips are not in the right size.

SigmaOne,

Your statement above is not very responsible considering that you are a clubfitter.

Please think through your statements before posting and using scare tactics to misinform golfers and drive them to a clubfitter, possibly yourself, since you do include your business address right under the very same post.

Your statement infers that golf manufacterers make and sell equipment that are ill-fitted for golfers. That being the case, would you care to elaborate how TaylorMade, Callaway, Titleist, Cleveland, Ping, and the like manage to fool golfers into buying their products that by your inferred statement, does not help them to play good golf?

How did they manage to grow their companies into the industry giants that they are selling bad equipment?

Off the rack golf sets are built to fit the average golfer, meaning the specs suit most people. Granted not all, but most. Some may need fine tuning for that perfect fit and that's where a clubfitter comes in, make that a good clubfitter. After all, who wants to spend money so they they come back with something worse than they had before?

Specific to grips, there is a possible percentage that may gain some improvement with the changing of grips, but not necessarily so.

Since you are so keen to help golfers here, why don't you tell everyone how to do a simple check at home to see if their grips are the right fit for them, before they rush down to change their grips based on the opening statement in your post?

Last edited by Birdman on Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DRGjr72
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
DRGjr72

PostSubject: Re: Are your clubs fitted properly (to you) ?   Are your clubs fitted properly (to you) ? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 8:44 pm

A static grip test can tell you what it "supposed" to be the right grip size for your hand. But this does not always provide the results as expected or promised (since now they are technically fitting properly according to the fitting chart) as there is an element of "feel" involved. Sometimes big grips for small hands or small grips for big hands produces better results.

Using me as an example. Technically when I use the typical fitting chart/methodologies for fitting or determining the grip size, I measure into some type of mid to jumbo size. But I use standard size grips because of how they feel to me. Actually early in my professional career I switched to mid size grips for a week and it was one of the worst striking episodes of my career. I soon switched back to the normal size grips and have never looked back.

If there are glaring issues with the grips relative to the performance of the golfer (causing issues with proper grip, release or things of that nature), or they like the feel of one size over another, then I would recommend a change and attempt to remedy it via the grip change.

More often than not, it will not be the size of the grip that is causing a majority of golfers to play poorly (at least in my 15 years of experience as a professional), but swing issues that don't necessarily stem from, or would be bothered, by that.
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Are your clubs fitted properly (to you) ?   Are your clubs fitted properly (to you) ? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 8:52 pm

Now we're getting somewhere with this thread. Very Happy

Great additional information that really helps Dan, especially from someone who's taken it to the highest level of the game. cheers
Back to top Go down
Begbie
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Are your clubs fitted properly (to you) ?   Are your clubs fitted properly (to you) ? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 8:59 pm

Yeah good one Dan, while we always try to search for the exact science we also learn its not entirely compounded without the element of feel and most important of all the soundness of the swing.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: Are your clubs fitted properly (to you) ?   Are your clubs fitted properly (to you) ? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 9:47 pm

For the record, Dan is a former PGA pro and coach, just so that its clear on his background.
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
IGT
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
IGT

PostSubject: Re: Are your clubs fitted properly (to you) ?   Are your clubs fitted properly (to you) ? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 10:28 pm

Technospaz wrote:
I have similar problems. I tend to overgrip my club which results in hooks and sometimes, swinging outside-in Sad

Bro, the topic here is about grip size. I tot I had replied here that better open another thread discussing "The Grip"; which I already did. Later get flamed if too much trash that off the topic. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Are your clubs fitted properly (to you) ?   Are your clubs fitted properly (to you) ? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 11:35 pm

IGT wrote:
Technospaz wrote:

Bro, the topic here is about grip size. I tot I had replied here that better open another thread discussing "The Grip"; which I already did. Later get flamed if too much trash that off the topic. Laughing

Yes, I've been made aware but thank you for the additional reminder. And my apologies to Seb for the mis-read.
Back to top Go down
DRGjr72
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
DRGjr72

PostSubject: Re: Are your clubs fitted properly (to you) ?   Are your clubs fitted properly (to you) ? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2012 12:25 am

Also I wanted to add that my previous post was in no way meant to disrespect any fitter or what they do. The knowledgable ones are great and provide a valuable service to the golfers they provide service to.

My reply was more of a personal response to what I have seen over the years and my experience with grips and how changing them can affect an individual, whether as a teacher who dealt with students or as a player who examined what the change did to my game.
Back to top Go down
jeffman88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jeffman88

PostSubject: Re: Are your clubs fitted properly (to you) ?   Are your clubs fitted properly (to you) ? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2012 12:52 am

Tom Wishon writes: In short, if a hand and finger measurement chart says the grip should be one size and the golfer prefers a different size because it is more comfortable, you go with the decision for comfort – regardless what the golfer’s handicap or playing ability might be. = its all intuitive! gut feel! rendeer
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

PostSubject: Re: Are your clubs fitted properly (to you) ?   Are your clubs fitted properly (to you) ? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2012 7:59 am

The best grips I tried were the reverse tapers, but R&A and USGA frown upon them. Mad
Back to top Go down
http://www.2telgolf.com
SigmaOne
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
SigmaOne

PostSubject: Re: Are your clubs fitted properly (to you) ?   Are your clubs fitted properly (to you) ? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2012 12:20 pm

Most clubs sell in standard grip sizes. They maybe recommended for the average golfers but not necessary suitable or comfortable to you. Some retailers may offer to change them to the right sizes for u if u know and if u ask for it . Do find out from yr coaches, or friends if u do not have a coach what will be the best.

Back to top Go down
essentiale
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Are your clubs fitted properly (to you) ?   Are your clubs fitted properly (to you) ? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2012 12:44 pm

the marshals here seem to read too much into everything Sigma says. What he says is correct, that off the shelf clubs may not suit everybody's grip size. to change the size of the grip by adding layers of tape is not a rocket science and most shops can do it. i myself got a new adams f11 fairway wood but the grip was a lady size.

to my knowledge, i think the effects of hitting a club with a grip too small relative to your "correct" size would lead to draws/hooks, and the opposite fades/slices.

The correct grip size to me is such that when you grip the club with your left hand, your fingers are just barely short of touching the fleshy part of your palm (below the thumb). please correct me if i'm wrong.

Sigma: btw i still can't get over how the miura 501 7I on the nspro 850 shaft flew so crazy long for me on the flightscope... thanks for fixing my nike driver shaft, and for educating on the spine flo technique. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Are your clubs fitted properly (to you) ?   Are your clubs fitted properly (to you) ? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2012 1:27 pm

so if i keep Hooking it, is it because my grip is too small or because my alignment or because i swing too much from the inside? How does a fitter tell?

Reckon yhe only way i can tell is to play two siimilar sets with different grip size...but thats difficult to find unless the shop offer demos in various sizes

I've tried one layer, two layers and three layers...so far, less is more comfortable and i can still grip it firm.

@essentiale: interesting note on flight scope reading. Do you get real distance gain on course?
Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
nutty88

PostSubject: Re: Are your clubs fitted properly (to you) ?   Are your clubs fitted properly (to you) ? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2012 3:23 pm

@essential, there are several factors that will yield a draw/hook and fade/slice. Grip size is just one of the factors. The others are lie angle, shaft flex, alignment, club face at impact, swing path, release of hands and the way one grips the club (strong vs. weak). By the way, if a golfer is proficient enough, he can still hit a hook without having the right size grip.

I guess the thread title should say "Do your clubs come with right size grips?" since Seb only mentioned grip size but of course he can use whatever title he deems fit since he is the thread starter. However, club fittings is really more than just grip size in my personal opinion.
Back to top Go down
IGT
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
IGT

PostSubject: Re: Are your clubs fitted properly (to you) ?   Are your clubs fitted properly (to you) ? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2012 3:26 pm

Just put 2 or 3 different sizes of grips and go heck the s**t out til we figure out what we are comfortable with. Not much difference from choosing the right pair of golf shoes I guess.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are your clubs fitted properly (to you) ?   Are your clubs fitted properly (to you) ? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Are your clubs fitted properly (to you) ?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next