Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive)

Go down 
+18
Winston
scottycollector
nientsu
samuraiiii79
Suzuki
sywog
Jimbroni
Slicer51
ahnah
Sean76
shimizu.toruk
asahi
mloy
jeffman88
Technospaz
blee67
rps180sx
pocketace
22 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive) Empty
PostSubject: My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive)   My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive) I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 9:05 am

Folks

I recently had the privilege of playing 2 rounds at the Nirwana Bali Golf Club over the long (Ramadan) weekend. Here are some pictures and my review of the course.

(1) Course Layout
This is a Greg Norman aka The Shark designed course. He managed to beautifully carve out 18 holes out of a piece of land that has the Pan Pacific resort & owner occupied villas surrounding it. The holes along the dramatic coast overlook cliffs and crashing waves.
My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive) 050
The signature hole has the famed Tanah Lot Temple in the background. What a sight to behold!
My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive) 039

For some holes that are further inland, your will see stepped padi fields lining the fairways and some tee boxes.That by itself is quite a unique design. My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive) 031
Off the tee, it is quite straight forward. Greg Norman placed the fairway bunkers to intimidate you but you usually have options off the tee to hit over them or around them.
My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive) 185589_10151102234843470_625950838_n
Not much blind spots off the tee. The tricky part is to be in the right position for your 2nd shot. Quite a no. of holes have a stream or gully short of the green. Any hero shot that is poorly executed will find the watery grave. My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive) 020
Make sure you ask your caddy about hazards before the green. I will suggest laying up to get a putt for par, or walk off with a bogey if you find yourself in a spot of bother off the tee.

(2) Course Difficulty. It is a relatively open resort course. There are 4 tee boxes available for play to test players of all skill levels
(a) Black aka SHARK (6,805y / 6,223m) - Slope index (74.2/146)
(b) Blue aka CHAMP (6,308y / 5,767m) - Slope index (73.1 / 142)
(c) White aka RESORT (6,002y / 5,488m) - Slope index (70.7 / 134)
(d) Red aka FORWARD (5,157y / 4,716m) - Slope index (72.5 / 136)

I played off the Blue on both days. Although distance wise, it is not punishing, the slope index is higher than what I am used to. It is also very windy in this time of the year (evident by the numerous no. of kites in the sky; I was told it was the annual kite competition in Bali last month). The wind and slope factor made club selection rather tricky. A couple of tee shots along the coast require you to commit to a shot across a ravine or overhanging cliff in windy conditions. My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive) 029
That is quite heart stopping!

I'm a 16 hcp and I came back with a humbling 98 on day one despite managing 6 pars. Too many blow holes and lack of familiarity to the course being my excuse! I managed to salvage some pride with a 89 on day two, also with 6 pars. This time course knowledge helped a lot and my ability to tame the tricky greens contributed somewhat.My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive) 054

(3) Course Condition - this is my assessment, so take it with a pinch of salt
(a) Tee Box - 9/10
(b) Bunker - 9/10
(c) Fairway - 9/10
(d) Putting Green - 9/10
My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive) 034
On a whole, I have nothing but good things to say about the course condition. Only TMCC Gardens and Sentosa Serapong is 10/10 IMHO!

(4) Caddies / Golf Cart
My caddy is quite knowledgeable and quickly convert Yards to Meters (what I'm used to) to help me with club selection. Line reading is good but her ability to line the putts is inconsistent. Then again, the golfer is responsible for his own game, so, no complaints from my end! Caddy tip is recommended at 100k Ruppiah onwards. The caddies are very polite and helpful. We requested for our same caddies over the 2 days.
My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive) 028
Here are the caddies offering some 'eye power' while the Missus lines her putt up. In the background is also our lovely playing partners Frank and Mary from Australia paired with us in day one.

Golf cart is good, powerful to climb slopes and running on battery, unlike some of the lesser courses in the region who convert their golf carts to (smelly) desiel-engined ones. As each player must have a caddy, the golf cart has a proper stand behind each golf bag to let the caddy stand safely. Thumbs up to that!

(5) Summary
On the whole, if you enjoyed Ria Bintan Golf course, then you will definitely enjoy Nirwana Bali Golf course. It is on a higher level altogether, and the higher green fees justify the elevated status it enjoys. This golf course has won a slew of awards and deservingly so!
My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive) 027

I hope you enjoyed my review and the pictures. I would like to thank CIMB for making arrangements for us to play at Nirwana Bali Golf Club over the weekend... for free! This is part of the CIMB World Mastercard golf privileges program. Nothing in it for me (I work for another bank, for those who knows me!), just sharing cheers

One last pic My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive) 049
Back to top Go down
rps180sx
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive)   My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive) I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 9:11 am

Nice review and very nice photos!

Did you experience much wind on the signature hole?

Sounds like your caddy provided good service for 100K rupiah bro!
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive)   My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive) I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 9:11 am

The par 3 (11th Hole) is also very challenging.... I once have to go to the beach to hit the 2nd shot..... Embarassed
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive)   My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive) I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 9:30 am

rps180sx wrote:
Nice review and very nice photos!

Did you experience much wind on the signature hole?

Sounds like your caddy provided good service for 100K rupiah bro!

Thanks bro, yes it was pretty much windy throughout the round. I duffed my tee shot at day one onto the beach! Reloaded and left with a double bogey
Crying or Very sad
At another longish par 3, hit across the cliffs to a strong prevailing wind, only 150 ish meters, I had to pull out a 4 wood. Thankfully I nailed that onto the green and walked off with a par Razz
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive)   My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive) I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 9:41 am

Excellent photos and feedback. Thanks, pocketace. You make me wanna ditch my job and fly to Bali right now Smile
Back to top Go down
jeffman88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jeffman88

PostSubject: Re: My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive)   My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive) I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 9:45 am

Wow bro pocketace... fantastic report! thanks for sharing... now i wanna book flight to bali liao.... Smile
Back to top Go down
mloy
Caddy
Caddy
mloy

PostSubject: Re: My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive)   My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive) I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 9:46 am

Nirwana Bali Golf is a must play course. I played there many years ago and still remember their 2 signature holes.
Hope to go back there again and see I would fair this time. LOL.

Pictures taken beautifully. Beer

Last edited by mloy on Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive)   My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive) I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 9:48 am

Very very nice pics and course.

Thanks for sharing!
Back to top Go down
shimizu.toruk
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
shimizu.toruk

PostSubject: Re: My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive)   My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive) I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 10:59 am

Beautiful course and pictures. Echoing the comments of the other forummers here, but thanks for sharing!
Back to top Go down
Sean76
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Sean76

PostSubject: Re: My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive)   My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive) I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 11:37 am

Nice review of Nirwana Bali, another excuse to go Bali again.... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ahnah
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
ahnah

PostSubject: Re: My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive)   My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive) I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 11:46 am

Nice FR !
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive)   My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive) I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 1:02 pm

Bro Technospaz & Jeffman88,

If you really planned to be there. I will wait for you there at the Airport Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Jimbroni
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive)   My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive) I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 1:54 pm

Nice report bro!
Back to top Go down
sywog
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive)   My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive) I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 1:55 pm

nice pics and review.
Back to top Go down
Suzuki
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Suzuki

PostSubject: Re: My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive)   My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive) I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 2:00 pm

Nirwana Bali Golf Course

Mai tu leow, who want to go???

1)Suzuki
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)

Lets form 2 flight to go. heehee..... belly nicessi
Back to top Go down
samuraiiii79
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive)   My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive) I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 2:09 pm

Nice FR and the course looks fantastic! Hope it is suitable for average players (100-110)
Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

PostSubject: Re: My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive)   My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive) I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 2:10 pm

i am going. will be there for 9 days. End Oct to beginning nov.
Back to top Go down
scottycollector
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
scottycollector

PostSubject: Re: My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive)   My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive) I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 2:13 pm

i absolutely love this course. only managed to play once, and unfortunately i did so just before getting my CIMB card. But even then, this course is worth every penny. played at new Kuta on the 2nd day. if i could turn back time, i'd play twice at Nirwana Bali instead.
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive)   My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive) I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 2:25 pm

Suzuki wrote:
Nirwana Bali Golf Course

Mai tu leow, who want to go???

1)Suzuki
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)

Lets form 2 flight to go. heehee..... belly nicessi

When ?
Back to top Go down
Suzuki
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Suzuki

PostSubject: Re: My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive)   My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive) I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 2:42 pm

After Oct, nov anytime
Back to top Go down
Suzuki
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Suzuki

PostSubject: Re: My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive)   My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive) I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 3:01 pm

Bro Pocketace, may i know what is the damage to your pocket if to play and stay there for a week.
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive)   My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive) I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 3:51 pm

I only paid for my air tickets
My accommodation is a villa in Seminyak area, part of my vacation club, so it's basically sunk costs to me. Stayed 3 nights.

I did not spend any money for sightseeing, or souvenir shopping, done that in previous trips. Only spent on taxi, one spa session, food and drinks

I got a reliable local taxi driver, PM me if you want the details for his contact. Please read trip advisor for lots of useful details...
Back to top Go down
Suzuki
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Suzuki

PostSubject: Re: My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive)   My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive) I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 4:29 pm

Bro Pocketace, did you receive my PM?
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive)   My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive) I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 5:21 pm

Yes, got your PM. Easy Tiger! Easy.... Razz
Rather than reply your PM, In the interest of all who may be similarly interested with your ques, here goes:

(1) Please send me details and cost to play there, thanks
- we travel by budget airlines. AirAsia is about S$300 plus one way. JetStar is about S$200 plus one way. Depends on your luck on existing promotions
- taxi from Semninyak (depends on where you stay) to Golf course is bout S$10 one way
- taxi from Airport to Seminyak is fixed price IDR70k (refer to trip advisor)
- meals (really depends on what you order and where you eat) average is IDR100k (S$13 plus) per meal. Can be more or less really...
- golf only need to tip the caddy since I used CIMB card - average is IDR100k (S$13 plus) and above per caddy per round
- My villa in Seminyak is FOC, so you need to factor your own accommodation costs
Base on the above info you can do your math liao, clear as mud? Beer

(2) You went with your wife?
- she's my ex-gf... Go figure! scratch

(3) How is the weather there?
- weather was lovely first 2 days in mid to high 20s. Next 2 days Hot hot hot but not as humid as SG
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

PostSubject: Re: My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive)   My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive) I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 7:12 pm

pocketace wrote:

(2) You went with your wife?
- she's my ex-gf... Go figure! scratch

Razz Razz Laughing Laughing lol! lol! ROFL ROFL Beer Beer

Come up to HCMC and have a round with me!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive)   My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next