Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Beginner question on Shaft

Go down 
+14
enwee
jeffman88
raylowwl
shimizu.toruk
onime
Khorkar
chien
neowh
maslie
golfnut1980
Turbo
duffader
Ssquirrel
CityTypeZ
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
CityTypeZ
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
CityTypeZ

Beginner question on Shaft Empty
PostSubject: Beginner question on Shaft   Beginner question on Shaft I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 4:21 pm

I am a begineer that just gotten my PC.
I am currently using a Burner 1.0 iron with stiff steel shaft.
I feel that it is very heavy that I cannot bring it launch the ball far.
does it help if I change to regular staft?
will it be cheaper to change the shaft or change my iron set?
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

PostSubject: Re: Beginner question on Shaft   Beginner question on Shaft I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 4:23 pm

No offence intended, but cheaper and better to practice harder and hit more balls...
Back to top Go down
CityTypeZ
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
CityTypeZ

PostSubject: Re: Beginner question on Shaft   Beginner question on Shaft I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 4:27 pm

Ssquirrel wrote:
No offence intended, but cheaper and better to practice harder and hit more balls...

does that mean that I should have not problem handling the stiff shaft club giving more practise?
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: Beginner question on Shaft   Beginner question on Shaft I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 4:28 pm

CityTypeZ wrote:
Ssquirrel wrote:

does that mean that I should have not problem handling the stiff shaft club giving more practise?

Yeap.
Back to top Go down
CityTypeZ
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
CityTypeZ

PostSubject: Re: Beginner question on Shaft   Beginner question on Shaft I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 4:31 pm

duffader wrote:
CityTypeZ wrote:
Ssquirrel wrote:

Yeap.

thanks, will keep practising.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Beginner question on Shaft   Beginner question on Shaft I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 4:47 pm

CityTypeZ wrote:
duffader wrote:
CityTypeZ wrote:
Ssquirrel wrote:

Yeap.

thanks, will keep practising.
Perhaps you should hire a good swing coach. Unless your fundamentals are very strong, by practicing yourself u may master the wrong habits of a golf swing. My 2 cents' worth ...
Back to top Go down
golfnut1980
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
golfnut1980

PostSubject: Re: Beginner question on Shaft   Beginner question on Shaft I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 5:07 pm

Hi CityTypeZ,

I have similar iron set as you but mine is flex regular steel. So far, I have been hitting the ball reasonably ok except that I have to take care to raise the club high since after many swings, my backswing tends to flatten out more as I get more tired because of the heavier weight compared to grahite set (though it's only 20g heavier than the TM 1.0 graphite ver).

Also, I think for steel shaft the TM 1.0 is not that heavy compared to other similar brands in the same price category e.g. Callaway Diablo Edge (that's what the salesman at GD told me when I bought the clubs).

If you really have trouble with the weight after more practice, maybe shd consider changing to lighter graphites...

Good luck improving your game, I am struggling as well Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
CityTypeZ
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
CityTypeZ

PostSubject: Re: Beginner question on Shaft   Beginner question on Shaft I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 5:14 pm

golfnut1980 wrote:
Hi CityTypeZ,

I have similar iron set as you but mine is flex regular steel. So far, I have been hitting the ball reasonably ok except that I have to take care to raise the club high since after many swings, my backswing tends to flatten out more as I get more tired because of the heavier weight compared to grahite set (though it's only 20g heavier than the TM 1.0 graphite ver).

Also, I think for steel shaft the TM 1.0 is not that heavy compared to other similar brands in the same price category e.g. Callaway Diablo Edge (that's what the salesman at GD told me when I bought the clubs).

If you really have trouble with the weight after more practice, maybe shd consider changing to lighter graphites...

Good luck improving your game, I am struggling as well Crying or Very sad

I think I will just keep practising till i can handle this.
Back to top Go down
maslie
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
maslie

PostSubject: Re: Beginner question on Shaft   Beginner question on Shaft I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 8:43 pm

IMHO, instead changing club or shaft better for you to visit club fitter just to see if your club lenght - lie angle and grip are matches to your body. It will be easier to find your "natural swing path" and your hard practice become more efficient. again juz my 2cents mate.
Back to top Go down
neowh
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Beginner question on Shaft   Beginner question on Shaft I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2012 4:47 pm

Hi CityTypeZ,

I am also a beginner using TM graphite Asia spec. Perhaps we can meet at range to try each others set?
Back to top Go down
CityTypeZ
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
CityTypeZ

PostSubject: Re: Beginner question on Shaft   Beginner question on Shaft I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2012 6:47 pm

Sure. I usually go occ
Back to top Go down
chien
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
chien

PostSubject: Re: Beginner question on Shaft   Beginner question on Shaft I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2012 8:39 pm

Ssquirrel wrote:

No offence intended... I totally disagree...

I personally experienced the difference shafts could make to the swing n game... I don't know how big and strong you are, but if you are not strong built and you use say a steel 95g shaft, of course it's too heavy for you and not suitable... Also, to use a Stiff steel shaft means you must be very strong with pretty fast swing speed, uncommon among beginners i think...

Thus, as some bros here rightly recommended, either go to your coach, or see a fitter, both of which we have aplenty here in the forum...

Don't be a fool and spend hours in the range doing the wrong thing bro... A good coach can accelerate your learning curve... It is money well spent..

cheers

Feel free to post more questions bro.. I benefitted a lot from the brothers here too...
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: Beginner question on Shaft   Beginner question on Shaft I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2012 8:50 pm

chien wrote:
Ssquirrel wrote:

I personally experienced the difference shafts could make to the swing n game... I don't know how big and strong you are, but if you are not strong built and you use say a steel 95g shaft, of course it's too heavy for you and not suitable... Also, to use a Stiff steel shaft means you must be very strong with pretty fast swing speed, uncommon among beginners i think...

Thus, as some bros here rightly recommended, either go to your coach, or see a fitter, both of which we have aplenty here in the forum...

Don't be a fool and spend hours in the range doing the wrong thing bro... A good coach can accelerate your learning curve... It is money well spent..

cheers

Feel free to post more questions bro.. I benefitted a lot from the brothers here too...

If u have the right technique, u can hit all sorts of shafts, heavy or light. Just a matter of preference. In my opinion, changing equipment in search of miracle to becoming a better player will never work.
Back to top Go down
CityTypeZ
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
CityTypeZ

PostSubject: Re: Beginner question on Shaft   Beginner question on Shaft I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2012 8:59 pm

chien wrote:
Ssquirrel wrote:

cheers

My coach just causally told me taht should have gotten a regular. but also said still can be used. but now i finished my lesson. Actually is about time i go back to him on swing correction.
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: Beginner question on Shaft   Beginner question on Shaft I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2012 9:14 pm

CityTypeZ wrote:
chien wrote:
Ssquirrel wrote:

cheers

My coach just causally told me taht should have gotten a regular. but also said still can be used. but now i finished my lesson. Actually is about time i go back to him on swing correction.

The grands master TSS is right to suggest the comments that he made. Ssquirel is a very proficient golfer and he is right with what he speak of.

Back to top Go down
onime
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
onime

PostSubject: Re: Beginner question on Shaft   Beginner question on Shaft I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2012 10:02 pm

Find a club fitter to access your swing?
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: Beginner question on Shaft   Beginner question on Shaft I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2012 10:20 pm

Club fitter is to optimize ur equipment, although some of them plays good golf, but they might not have te right experience to spot the small errors in the swing. Whereas the pro is someone who having years of experience and looking at different swings, good and bad. They are around to compliment each other. Like a car racer, u give him a normal car, he will still go around the track faster than a normal driver in a super car.
Back to top Go down
shimizu.toruk
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
shimizu.toruk

PostSubject: Re: Beginner question on Shaft   Beginner question on Shaft I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2012 11:26 pm

CityTypeZ wrote:
chien wrote:
Ssquirrel wrote:

cheers

IMO, you won't really feel alot of difference until you're quite proficient in playing lahn I think practice more would help...and rather than just focusing on just your swing, I'd strongly suggest looking at your grip and stance as well. If your grip and stance is OK, ball will usually fly...at least that's what I'm experiencing now...
Back to top Go down
neowh
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Beginner question on Shaft   Beginner question on Shaft I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2012 11:50 pm

CityTypeZ wrote:
Sure. I usually go occ

I oso go OCC, but usually weekdays afternoon.. my contact: 81391779
Back to top Go down
raylowwl
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Beginner question on Shaft   Beginner question on Shaft I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 6:23 pm

I'm comsider as beginner......recently just bought a 2nd TM R9 Max with NSPro 950....have been using a regular Hoshin irons.....the difference at first....the weight make the TM R9 very difficult to handle.....but after 2 weeks of practice.....better distance.......but still a bit heavy....more practice require like senior said....hit more balls Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
jeffman88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jeffman88

PostSubject: Re: Beginner question on Shaft   Beginner question on Shaft I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 6:38 pm

raylowwl wrote:
I'm comsider as beginner......recently just bought a 2nd TM R9 Max with NSPro 950....have been using a regular Hoshin irons.....the difference at first....the weight make the TM R9 very difficult to handle.....but after 2 weeks of practice.....better distance.......but still a bit heavy....more practice require like senior said....hit more balls Very Happy Very Happy

might be good if u can join a grp of golfers here in GR eg SGG Seow Golf Group or SSN Starry Starry Night or PGA Punggol Golf Association and try out other clubs and shafts... or visit those fitters who has great presence here in GR eg Big Fish Golf, Sigma Golf etc.... Am sure they would be most helpful to u
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Beginner question on Shaft   Beginner question on Shaft I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 7:02 pm

CityTypeZ wrote:
I am a begineer that just gotten my PC.
I am currently using a Burner 1.0 iron with stiff steel shaft.
I feel that it is very heavy that I cannot bring it launch the ball far.
does it help if I change to regular staft?
will it be cheaper to change the shaft or change my iron set?
Seriously changing shaft can be quite costly unless you can get hold of second hand one. Stiff to reg? It does help but not to that extend. Why not just keep playing 1st and see how. If you want I can lend you mine NS Pro 950 R flex to try. I also practised in OCC on wkdays night. But I never play upstairs......scared will fall off. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
No-bogeys
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Beginner question on Shaft   Beginner question on Shaft I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 11:50 am

Build up your physiques or practice more is the cheaper option,IMO.
Going to gym and paying for more range balls definitely cost less than changing shafts.

You should slowly feel that your clubs are getting easier ,lighter ie you're improving. Then u start to think of getting better clubs :-).

If not, means you're not practicing enough. :-)
Back to top Go down
lszomb
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Beginner question on Shaft   Beginner question on Shaft I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 12:03 pm

I just start with project x 5.0 shaft. A bit heavy for beginner. However the feedback is so smooth (not sure that is also caused by the club face) when I hit the sweet spot. Hit it right with a good swing gave me much more self-satisfaction than just fly a ball with bad swing on previous "cash converter" forgiving club with light weight graphite shaft. Even I need to train harder to stabilize my swing.
Back to top Go down
siaokao
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
siaokao

PostSubject: Re: Beginner question on Shaft   Beginner question on Shaft I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 1:10 pm

As a newbie myself, I play reg flex for my irons. I have the opportunity of trying many different flexes and I do feel playing the correct flex is important to newbie. Too stiff a flex, your swing speed may drop, struggle to put enough spin and carry ball to a reasonable distance. Clubs will lack feel.. may feel like a stick instead.. But then again, stock stiff flex may not be really that stiff.. should be playable if you are of average build and your swing is more of less there. I've tried burner 1.0 reg flex before, its actually quiet soft.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Beginner question on Shaft   Beginner question on Shaft I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Beginner question on Shaft
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next