Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive)

Go down 
+22
Adriank
blee67
pushslice
dmateo
zhenxua
nientsu
golfool2009
simoner
InTheHole!
Shanks!
Roystonnn
hkhamateur
BigblackGoof
Cyrano
enwee
Denmeister
buzz1211
eiji
Khorkar
scottycollector
DGman
26 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) Empty
PostSubject: Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive)   Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) I_icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 12:26 pm

The 24 hour steak was created by Heston Blumenthal, a famous English Chef who use his knowledge of chemistry to great effects. his TV shows are the most interesting and he is everything but ordinary. he is the owner of the Fat Duck, a 3 star Michelin establishment. the amazing thing about Heston is his cooking skills were all self-taught and he has won many awards including best restaurant in the word. he apparently works with scientist to create dishes and this is a fine example of turning an ordinary into an extraordinary experience.

well this clubfitter by day sometimes yen to be a chef by the weekend and in a recent adventure, this was what was conjured up recently. for those who have been to my FB, you might have seen this, for the rest of the food lovers on GR, here's a glimpse of the proceedings......

a 3+ kg piece of ribeye - 300 days grain fed angus from Huber's Butchery...blow torch to seal the meat to ensure no bacterial invasion.

Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) 6984420328_37cb8fb974_z

make sure all sides are completely sealed...

Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) 7130503025_d55d8d721b_z

Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) 7130503779_c3d72728da_z

at this stage, nothing is cooked only the surface is sealed.

Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) 7130505773_70f01037d8_z

Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) 7130504265_45ea91d9eb_z

when everything is done, it goes in the oven at 50 degree Celsius for a full 24 hours. its best to leave a thermometer in the oven to ensure temperature hovers at 50 degree. too hot and the enzymes of the meat will not work, too low, the meat will turn rotten.

after a full 24 hours in the oven, the stab of meat will look like this....

Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) 6984425276_90384c8d4b_z

the 24 hour aging will do wonders to retain the juice and flavour of the meat. here's how the 1 inch steak looks like.

Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) 6984426450_5de685e2ff_z

steak colour is even, not cooked and there is no blood or juice splatter at all...

Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) 7130510515_712138a430_z

we get about 10 slices after triming off both ends. seasoned generously with sea salt and pepper.

Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) 6984427056_9af6d2ef43_z

smack this onto a very hot cast pan, lightly oiled...1 minute in each side for rare, 1 1/2 minutes on each side for medium rare, 2 minutes on each side for medium done. rest for 5 minutes before serving...this is important so that the meat will "relaxed".

Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) 6984428360_5e3f2765df_z

oh the side dish.....new potatoes, oinion, spring onion, mushrooms, dash of garlic and bacon bits.

Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) 6984422098_ceb7419256_z

bacon always adds a nice twist to flavour and onion feeds on bacon and garlic gives it an edge.

Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) 7130508425_068b0d83ae_z

pre-boiled new potatoes are added in, season with mixed herbs or thyme, salt and pepper.

Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) 7130508795_39164ab8dc_z

spring onions...yummy.

Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) 6984424710_b876e79312_z

here's how the dish and the steak looks like.....made a red wine mushroom sauce (with a hint of mustard) that leaves a lot of room to get the real taste of the beef

Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) 6984448120_26f035416b_z

VERDICT: the most juicy and tasty steak. the aging chemistry worked wonder. make sure you get a good piece of steak to start and i had to wake up several times in the night to check the temperature. most ovens start at 70 degrees so the thermometer helps to keep things in check.

Reservations anyone???

Have a great labour day holiday...

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
scottycollector
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
scottycollector

PostSubject: Re: Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive)   Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) I_icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 12:33 pm

Oh my goodness......that looks amazing.

i feel like having steak right now

DGman, i think it's time u start a cafe at the den
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive)   Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) I_icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 12:35 pm

Damn, I am hungry... Any leftovers?
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive)   Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) I_icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 12:35 pm

haiz...so hungry now. show wife the pictures, she asked me when am I going to do it. affraid
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
buzz1211
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
buzz1211

PostSubject: Re: Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive)   Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) I_icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 12:36 pm

Had a porterhouse at Morton's last night and swore off steak for a few weeks but then I saw your masterpiece. Gawd, now I have to go out and try your recipe! Good job!
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive)   Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) I_icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 12:37 pm

Andre Huber is going to try this recipe and he is going to cook one steak without the 24 hour aging just to taste the difference..i already know the difference in texture and flavour...haha

already so busy on most days, start a cafe sure die of exhaustion...

DGman
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive)   Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) I_icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 12:38 pm

I am a steak lover with a climbing uric acid level..... Reservation for two please! ! !
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive)   Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) I_icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 1:19 pm

buzz1211 wrote:
Had a porterhouse at Morton's last night and swore off steak for a few weeks but then I saw your masterpiece. Gawd, now I have to go out and try your recipe! Good job!
Morton's steak is nice but IMHO a bit overprice. So far I think Culina is great value for money except no BYO policy. Dying to try is CUT, many friends told me best steak in town but shame also no BYO. Huber's, hmmmmm maybe will try it out...btw recently found another place, ubin seafood in sin ming, the ribeye is quite good too come with fried rice, best of all can BYO and also the stemwares there great..... cheers
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive)   Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) I_icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 1:27 pm

enwee..Huber is a Butchery...?!?!

u cook yourself and you can have all the BYO you need plus you will save a ton on service charge. and you don't choose a restaurant because they have a BYO policy, just like you don't choose a car because of free servicing.

the meat was under $340 and it serves 10. i don't think you can get a 300 gram 300-day grain fed ribeye for under $120 in any respectable restaurant. if you eat out the rest of the money goes to rent, staff, ingredients and a funny tern call profit.

DGman
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive)   Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) I_icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 1:32 pm

DGman wrote:
enwee..Huber is a Butchery...?!?!

u cook yourself and you can have all the BYO you need plus you will save a ton on service charge. and you don't choose a restaurant because they have a BYO policy, just like you don't choose a car because of free servicing.

the meat was under $340 and it serves 10. i don't think you can get a 300 gram 300-day grain fed ribeye for under $120 in any respectable restaurant. if you eat out the rest of the money goes to rent, staff, ingredients and a funny tern call profit.

DGman
Eric,

Huber in Dempsey had something like a cafe. But they only opened for until abt 3. You can buy the meat and ask them to cook. Not sure how much they charges for cooking. Culina is abt $15
Back to top Go down
Cyrano
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive)   Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) I_icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 2:59 pm

wahhh.. master fitter in the office.. master chef at home.. u raise the bar so high boss.. hahahahahah
Back to top Go down
buzz1211
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
buzz1211

PostSubject: Re: Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive)   Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) I_icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 3:14 pm

Agreed Morton's overpriced. No choice, annual get together. Will try Cut. But MUST try DG's recipe.
Back to top Go down
BigblackGoof
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
BigblackGoof

PostSubject: Re: Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive)   Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) I_icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 3:59 pm

DGman wrote:
Andre Huber is going to try this recipe and he is going to cook one steak without the 24 hour aging just to taste the difference..i already know the difference in texture and flavour...haha

already so busy on most days, start a cafe sure die of exhaustion...

DGman

Fresh beef will never beat the taste of an aged beef... thanks for the recipe!
Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
hkhamateur

PostSubject: Re: Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive)   Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) I_icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 5:10 pm

Didnt knw it has to go this far to get e best taste! Amazing. Smile
It s to be delicious man! Very Happy
I m hungry fr steak nw too. afro
No choice as can oni afford Jack's place fr now. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Roystonnn
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive)   Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) I_icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 5:28 pm

Nice!!

Everytin is so poisonous frm boss... Even food. Diu..
Think i gona go for steak dinner tonite after seeing this leh.
Now my mind is oni full of steaks floatin ard...
Back to top Go down
Shanks!
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Shanks!

PostSubject: Re: Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive)   Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) I_icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 6:53 pm

Eric, it looks really good. Will try this out for next weekend's dinner with friends.

will the recipe work for half a slab at 1.5kg?

...need to check if my lousy oven can hover at 50deg.

Shanks!
Back to top Go down
InTheHole!
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive)   Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) I_icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 8:21 pm

DG, that looks great! If you are open for reservations (hint), I would love to partake with a bottle of Ch Cos d'Estournel or Ch Lynch Bages........
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive)   Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) I_icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 8:31 pm

InTheHole! wrote:
DG, that looks great! If you are open for reservations (hint), I would love to partake with a bottle of Ch Cos d'Estournel or Ch Lynch Bages........
Delicious...Lynch and Cos.....Can I bring a 89 bord?.........something else?
Back to top Go down
simoner
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
simoner

PostSubject: Re: Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive)   Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) I_icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 9:07 pm

DGMan
You are "poisonous"!

By day you "poison" us with equipments and shafts Very Happy
By nite (weekends), you "poison" us with such yummy-licious food! HELP

Beer
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive)   Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) I_icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 9:52 am

this was what was cooking yesterday.....lamb is good comfort food for my blood type...sleep the best after lamb meal.

its call Incredible Lam Shoulder Roast with smashed vegetables....by Jamie Oliver.

i just rubbed the meat with walt and pepper, used a bunch of rosemary with mexican garlic which are huge. tin foiled wrap and whacked in the oven at 170 to 180 degree.

Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) 6987925626_650020cdee_z

a bulb of swede with 2 types of vegetable and carrots...

Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) 7134009373_696503e577_z

Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) 7134010141_5e9df2d4c8_z

the ulitmate combi sea smoked salt, red black pepper, mixed herb shaker and its a tall one.

Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) 6987925032_93238d8198_z

oh finally the food.......you can slow cook this for 4 hours or 2 and half.....we had the shorter roast version last night. still tender and very juicy.

Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) 7134010045_ec99bd2a28_z

we had coke 2012 to pair with this.

enjoy.....DGman

DGman
Back to top Go down
golfool2009
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
golfool2009

PostSubject: Re: Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive)   Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) I_icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 10:04 am

Damn...you're making my mouth water.......
Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

PostSubject: Re: Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive)   Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) I_icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 10:11 am

Damn, this thread is super deadly for someone who is trying to lose weight
Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

PostSubject: Re: Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive)   Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) I_icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 10:54 am

Hey boss.

Can I ask a qn? Is it better to place the rosemary as it is on the lamb, or chop it up?
Back to top Go down
zhenxua
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
zhenxua

PostSubject: Re: Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive)   Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) I_icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 5:28 pm

DGman wrote:
The 24 hour steak was created by Heston Blumenthal, a famous English Chef who use his knowledge of chemistry to great effects. his TV shows are the most interesting and he is everything but ordinary. he is the owner of the Fat Duck, a 3 star Michelin establishment. the amazing thing about Heston is his cooking skills were all self-taught and he has won many awards including best restaurant in the word. he apparently works with scientist to create dishes and this is a fine example of turning an ordinary into an extraordinary experience.

well this clubfitter by day sometimes yen to be a chef by the weekend and in a recent adventure, this was what was conjured up recently. for those who have been to my FB, you might have seen this, for the rest of the food lovers on GR, here's a glimpse of the proceedings......

a 3+ kg piece of ribeye - 300 days grain fed angus from Huber's Butchery...blow torch to seal the meat to ensure no bacterial invasion.

Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) 6984420328_37cb8fb974_z

make sure all sides are completely sealed...

Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) 7130503025_d55d8d721b_z

Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) 7130503779_c3d72728da_z

at this stage, nothing is cooked only the surface is sealed.

Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) 7130505773_70f01037d8_z

Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) 7130504265_45ea91d9eb_z

when everything is done, it goes in the oven at 50 degree Celsius for a full 24 hours. its best to leave a thermometer in the oven to ensure temperature hovers at 50 degree. too hot and the enzymes of the meat will not work, too low, the meat will turn rotten.

after a full 24 hours in the oven, the stab of meat will look like this....

Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) 6984425276_90384c8d4b_z

the 24 hour aging will do wonders to retain the juice and flavour of the meat. here's how the 1 inch steak looks like.

Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) 6984426450_5de685e2ff_z

steak colour is even, not cooked and there is no blood or juice splatter at all...

Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) 7130510515_712138a430_z

we get about 10 slices after triming off both ends. seasoned generously with sea salt and pepper.

Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) 6984427056_9af6d2ef43_z

smack this onto a very hot cast pan, lightly oiled...1 minute in each side for rare, 1 1/2 minutes on each side for medium rare, 2 minutes on each side for medium done. rest for 5 minutes before serving...this is important so that the meat will "relaxed".

Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) 6984428360_5e3f2765df_z

oh the side dish.....new potatoes, oinion, spring onion, mushrooms, dash of garlic and bacon bits.

Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) 6984422098_ceb7419256_z

bacon always adds a nice twist to flavour and onion feeds on bacon and garlic gives it an edge.

Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) 7130508425_068b0d83ae_z

pre-boiled new potatoes are added in, season with mixed herbs or thyme, salt and pepper.

Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) 7130508795_39164ab8dc_z

spring onions...yummy.

Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) 6984424710_b876e79312_z

here's how the dish and the steak looks like.....made a red wine mushroom sauce (with a hint of mustard) that leaves a lot of room to get the real taste of the beef

Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) 6984448120_26f035416b_z

VERDICT: the most juicy and tasty steak. the aging chemistry worked wonder. make sure you get a good piece of steak to start and i had to wake up several times in the night to check the temperature. most ovens start at 70 degrees so the thermometer helps to keep things in check.

Reservations anyone???

Have a great labour day holiday...

DGman

boss, how do we make reservation with you?

following holy crab, you can call yours holy cow lol!
Back to top Go down
dmateo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive)   Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) I_icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 5:33 pm

Question.
Does the process of sealing and then 24 hour low heating makes the meat more tender ?

Food channel normally do 2-3 hour oven roasting only after the sealing. But they did do marinating for at least 12-24 hours before hand while on your case it's the roasting that is longer.

How does the two compares ?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive)   Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Food Lovers Thread - The 24-hour Succulent Steak (pics intensive)
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next