Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Arnold Palmer Invitational

Go down 
+31
nientsu
duffader
S70B
kooky
mUAr_cHEe
niuxiong
shorthitter
pocketace
mengteck71
Ngigo
Shanks!
TigaWood
Slicer51
billi
9points
slinger
blee67
Technospaz
eiji
bogeyman72
hkhamateur
simoner
enwee
pushslice
Lee36328
crayon33
waybalegolf
Duval_S
Turbo
Cyrano
HyBriD
35 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

Arnold Palmer Invitational - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Arnold Palmer Invitational   Arnold Palmer Invitational - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 9:11 am

SH

MC talking about himself...

Cos everytime he hit a fairway he seems to walk off the green with the highest score for the foursome.

He also hasn't played too many courses where balls get lost trickling into rough.

Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Arnold Palmer Invitational   Arnold Palmer Invitational - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 9:15 am

MC, it may not be everything but definitely not nothing la.

just check what happen to Charlie Wi. Very Happy

The old Tiger with magical scrambling ability may not fear the rough, but I think the new Tiger does now. He often said recently "my misses are better now (with new swing)" That gives an indication of how important it is for him to be in a good place to aim for GIR on tour.

Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: Arnold Palmer Invitational   Arnold Palmer Invitational - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 9:22 am

hitting fairways is definitely something... that is for sure. i will not argue with that. It does take alot of pressure and factors off.

the train of thought there is that hitting greens is more crucial than hitting fairways... do not want to go too much into this discussion on this thread...

but i learnt something better than hitting fairways....

hitting tee boxes. well-trimmed grass with prefect and completely flat lie... but at times... u might not get a clear shot of the green that you are supposed to hit. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

PostSubject: Re: Arnold Palmer Invitational   Arnold Palmer Invitational - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 9:23 am

S70B wrote:
He also hasn't played too many courses where balls get lost trickling into rough.

Keppel they trickle into a drain!... lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.2telgolf.com
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Arnold Palmer Invitational   Arnold Palmer Invitational - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 9:28 am

Free lift!

Ah, we need a course like Rydges Capricorn International in Rockhampton for someone to change his tune.

Then we see how he hits greens when he can hardly see his ball thru the gnarly rough 3 metres off the fairway.
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: Arnold Palmer Invitational   Arnold Palmer Invitational - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 9:29 am

Poresia loh. They got REAL bermuda cow grass...
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: Arnold Palmer Invitational   Arnold Palmer Invitational - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 9:32 am

Anyone who ever played at KLGCC West Course will attest, keeping the ball on the fairway is crucial. The rough is not only thick, but truck-stopping strong. Takes every muscle fibre I had just to advance the ball.

Finally it sunk in for me why Tiger puts in all that gym time and built that bulk (compared to his stringy build as a teenager.) He is planning to hit it long, and must be able to reach the green from the inevitable missed fairways.

So, if one has the power to cut through the rough with distance and accuracy to reach the green and enough spin to make it stop, Tiger's power approach makes sense.

If not, it suggests accuracy off the tee is a premium.

Which makes Luke's result all the most amazing. He is both short and inaccurate off the tee. But has the uncanny ability to put his approach shot to gimme distance. However, in courses like Abu Dhabi last year where the rough is unusually thick and penalizing, he struggled.

Here's Tiger cutting out one from the rough from that tournament. Check out the impact position and the power it took. The ball checked and stopped promptly, no more than 3 feet from the pin.

Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: Arnold Palmer Invitational   Arnold Palmer Invitational - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 9:35 am

mUAr_cHEe wrote:

the train of thought there is that hitting greens is more crucial than hitting fairways... do not want to go too much into this discussion on this thread...

I also learn something from you... two on for par 5 doesnt mean you will be guaranteed a par. Smile
Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

PostSubject: Re: Arnold Palmer Invitational   Arnold Palmer Invitational - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 9:36 am

Great to see tiger win! It's human to err, but it takes character to bounce back. Now I just hope he sorts out his personal life. From a person to person perspective, I think that is more impt than golf itself.

Got a qn, how different is Sean foley's method as compared to other swing philosophies??
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Arnold Palmer Invitational   Arnold Palmer Invitational - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 9:48 am

Lee36328 wrote:

Here's Tiger cutting out one from the rough from that tournament. Check out the impact position and the power it took. The ball checked and stopped promptly, no more than 3 feet from the pin.

check out his late release, coupled with his famous power squat

his hands are between his thighs at setup, but at impact it is way forward, almost on outer part of left thigh. hit ball first, then ground.

amateurs like me try to imitate his power squat, I would dig a big hole before the ball and a acute case of golf elbow Laughing
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: Arnold Palmer Invitational   Arnold Palmer Invitational - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 10:01 am

nientsu wrote:
Great to see tiger win! It's human to err, but it takes character to bounce back. Now I just hope he sorts out his personal life. From a person to person perspective, I think that is more impt than golf itself.

Got a qn, how different is Sean foley's method as compared to other swing philosophies??

He does not have a specific method per se, but in his own words, it's an amalgamation of elements from various different methods, including stack and tilt. He favours a more centered swing with weight favouring the left side.

Sean also uses Trackman heavily, adding data to the standard video, which helps to make the swing work more precise.

The weight shift is slightly different. Instead of starting even, shifting right in the back swing, and shifting left in the downswing, it starts left, and shifts even more left.

It helps to get the hands ahead of the ball at impact, delofting the club. 8 iron carried 150m for me.

This is very good for short irons, but gets harder to get the impact on the desired part of the swing arc for longer clubs.

Here's a video I made a long time ago, Dec 2010, when my swing was still so full of flaws, experimenting with elements of Sean Foley's teachings and comparing the result on my swing. Pardon the amature swing.

Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: Arnold Palmer Invitational   Arnold Palmer Invitational - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 10:28 am

Here's a good coverage of that last hole today.

Might want to watch it in case it gets pulled soon for copyright reasons.

Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Arnold Palmer Invitational   Arnold Palmer Invitational - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 10:37 am

But he still win by 5......will we see this in the Master?
Back to top Go down
Cyrano
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Arnold Palmer Invitational   Arnold Palmer Invitational - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 10:55 am

For me.. at the 08:40 mark.. that's where we can see that Tiger is human after all.
Back to top Go down
simoner
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
simoner

PostSubject: Re: Arnold Palmer Invitational   Arnold Palmer Invitational - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 11:02 am

Great to see Tiger back to his winning ways!
Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
hkhamateur

PostSubject: Re: Arnold Palmer Invitational   Arnold Palmer Invitational - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 11:22 am

See..fairway important! Laughing
Even he was leadg by 5 strokes, his seriousness in e approach was v clear abt his carrer n this sport.
Readg everythings n landed safely rather than attack e pin. Emotional in his face definately. :
We ve more to watch fr n Rory wil hve great challenge ahead liao. cheers
Tx fr sharg, bro.
Back to top Go down
HyBriD
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
HyBriD

PostSubject: Re: Arnold Palmer Invitational   Arnold Palmer Invitational - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 11:29 am

its nice to wake up in the morning when you see three of your Golfing Idols winning....

Fred Couples...winning the Champions Tour

Yani Tseng.... winning again ...Kia Classic

and most of all Tiger Wood!

Woke up arnd 3am and watched his game against G-Mac.

Their score is now even...1 win and 1 lose
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/pnchung
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: Arnold Palmer Invitational   Arnold Palmer Invitational - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 1:03 pm

enwee wrote:
But he still win by 5......will we see this in the Master?

The relatively less penalizing rough and tree-lined doglegs suits Tiger's game well. Witness his T4 in 2010 and 2011 despite swing change, injury, personal issues, etc.

He can work the ball around the course like almost nobody else.
Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TourSwing

PostSubject: Re: Arnold Palmer Invitational   Arnold Palmer Invitational - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 1:42 pm

The moment we've all been waiting for ....

Bookie's favorite to win masters (in order) ... Tiger, Rory, Phil, Luke, Lee ... ALL in decent form!

Spoilers like ... Scott, Hunter, Rose, Bubba, DJ, Day, Keegan, Simpson and the defending champ!!!

WOW ... most anticipated major in decades!!!

Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Arnold Palmer Invitational   Arnold Palmer Invitational - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 1:45 pm

TourSwing wrote:

Bookie's favorite to win masters (in order) ... Tiger, Rory, Phil, Luke, Lee ... ALL in decent form!

Actually GMac is also in fine form and he is definitely a force to reckon with ...
Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TourSwing

PostSubject: Re: Arnold Palmer Invitational   Arnold Palmer Invitational - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 1:47 pm

shorthitter wrote:
mUAr_cHEe wrote:
Told you guys already.. HE will be back.

Hitting fairways is nothing... it does makes it easier to hit that approach shot onto the green but at the end of the day, it does not matter whether u land on the fairway or in the rough. Its how close you can put the ball next to the pin that matters...

Mastery of the irons is more crucial.

my 2cents... or this is a phase i am going through now..

I disagree Very Happy playing OCC last week in tournament conditions, hitting fairways is crucial.

The rough is long, and with new grooves, flyers were everywhere. balls going way to long, into more rough around the green, which will not stop even when perfect chip is hit, or with the thick rough way to short, which becomes a shot just to find the fairway..

Hitting the fairway helps, else you better have a good putter in your bag. Beer

You are soooo right!! Played OCC yesterday ... lost a ball 10 yards off the fairway! and was hacking away!! Took 3-4 holes just to recover from the shock ... new found RESPECT for the pros!!!!! Beer
Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

PostSubject: Re: Arnold Palmer Invitational   Arnold Palmer Invitational - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 1:52 pm

Turbo wrote:
TourSwing wrote:

Actually GMac is also in fine form and he is definitely a force to reckon with ...

Had the honor to follow GMAC in last years barcalys. He is such a wonderful person. No airs. There was one ephisode at hole 4, Serapong on final day. Weather was hot and theres another 2 flights waiting to tee off. Put up his umbrella, laid down his bag and lied down under the umbrella shade. Then there is this old lady ask GMAC if she can take a photo with him. GMAC told her to come on in under the shade to have the picture taken. That was such a nice moment.
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: Arnold Palmer Invitational   Arnold Palmer Invitational - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 1:59 pm

TourSwing wrote:
shorthitter wrote:
mUAr_cHEe wrote:
Told you guys already.. HE will be back.

Hitting fairways is nothing... it does makes it easier to hit that approach shot onto the green but at the end of the day, it does not matter whether u land on the fairway or in the rough. Its how close you can put the ball next to the pin that matters...

Mastery of the irons is more crucial.

my 2cents... or this is a phase i am going through now..

I disagree Very Happy playing OCC last week in tournament conditions, hitting fairways is crucial.

The rough is long, and with new grooves, flyers were everywhere. balls going way to long, into more rough around the green, which will not stop even when perfect chip is hit, or with the thick rough way to short, which becomes a shot just to find the fairway..

Hitting the fairway helps, else you better have a good putter in your bag. Beer

You are soooo right!! Played OCC yesterday ... lost a ball 10 yards off the fairway! and was hacking away!! Took 3-4 holes just to recover from the shock ... new found RESPECT for the pros!!!!! Beer

Tourswing, you were at OCC? We were playing in there in the morning too. Too bad did not get to meet.

They are not done with the conditioning yet. I heard that the rough will go out a bit more higher when the actual tourney starts. What a Face
Back to top Go down
BigblackGoof
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
BigblackGoof

PostSubject: Re: Arnold Palmer Invitational   Arnold Palmer Invitational - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 2:01 pm

Thus far we dun get to see the McIlroy and Tiger playing well together, it's always one play well and the other off form... it will be quite a matchup when they both play well... hope to see this soon...
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: Arnold Palmer Invitational   Arnold Palmer Invitational - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 2:02 pm

Tiger post match interview

An interesting interview.

Watch how he really lights up when he talked about hitting so many pure shots he could not single any of them out.

Some key points stood out in his comments:

1. He regained the distance he's lost over the years, he is as long as he's ever been
2. He kept repeating how accurate and controlled the ball flight has become, for instance about to withstand even the last day's windy conditions

Tiger hitting as long as he's ever had, AND with precise control and tight trajectory.... ominous statements from him.

It's going to be interesting to see what lies ahead for Tiger. And for his rivals.

GMac sounded like a fan when he said, "“Great to have a front-row seat watching maybe the greatest of all time doing what he does best, winning golf tournaments. Of course I believed I had a chance today, but I just never really got close enough to the guy. He played well today and deserves his win.”

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Arnold Palmer Invitational   Arnold Palmer Invitational - Page 4 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Arnold Palmer Invitational
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next