Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

“The Iron Truth”

Go down 
+14
Slicer51
enwee
buzz1211
scarynight
eiji
nientsu
Duval_S
mizzy
pushslice
BigblackGoof
Hogan
andrew-golf
tronos
HyBriD
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
HyBriD
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
HyBriD

“The Iron Truth”  Empty
PostSubject: “The Iron Truth”    “The Iron Truth”  I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 3:39 pm

for those who have not read what Luke Donald just said...

Here it is...

LUKE DONALD, BACK ON TOP of the golf world after his sudden-death playoff victory at the Transitions Championship, presents “The Iron Truth” on behalf of equipment sponsor Mizuno.

“Golf isn’t always about hitting it longer off the tee,” Luke says. “I’m living proof that in reality good iron play is where the game can be won.

“I was able to climb to No. 1 in the world not because I’m the longest off the tee, but because of precise iron play and a solid short game. The Iron Truth is quite obvious. If you want to improve your game, it starts with what you can do with your irons. End of story.”

source page
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/pnchung
HyBriD
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
HyBriD

“The Iron Truth”  Empty
PostSubject: Re: “The Iron Truth”    “The Iron Truth”  I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 3:41 pm

for those who have insecurities about their Distance off the Tee

Luke Donald Iron Truth is your or Our Guiding Principle
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

“The Iron Truth”  Empty
PostSubject: Re: “The Iron Truth”    “The Iron Truth”  I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 3:51 pm

if he had a longer drive with more accuracy, he will be like Tiger Woods..not just competing the no1 spot with a young golfer but chasing Jack's Majors record...but some stats are deceiving....Luke is avg 284 yards which is pretty long....and he did become no1 after the famous "gain of 7 yards in his driving distance"

Back to top Go down
andrew-golf
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
andrew-golf

“The Iron Truth”  Empty
PostSubject: Re: “The Iron Truth”    “The Iron Truth”  I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 3:55 pm

Having said that

Still must give it to him for his all round solid short game...
Back to top Go down
Hogan
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Hogan

“The Iron Truth”  Empty
PostSubject: Re: “The Iron Truth”    “The Iron Truth”  I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 3:58 pm

Truth for pros but for amateurs it's still about enough distance that counts. Wonder why they call it the driving range instead of practice range or iron range?
Anyway, how far do you hope to drive the ball to start enjoying the game? 150m / 180m / 200m / 250m? Will you be happier to drive the ball 250m compared to 150m?
So anyone who has found the secret to hitting it long easily, please share. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
andrew-golf
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
andrew-golf

“The Iron Truth”  Empty
PostSubject: Re: “The Iron Truth”    “The Iron Truth”  I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 4:02 pm

I would rather have a tight dispersion with decent distance for my drives

Working on the 2nd shot is much easier..
Back to top Go down
BigblackGoof
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
BigblackGoof

“The Iron Truth”  Empty
PostSubject: Re: “The Iron Truth”    “The Iron Truth”  I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 4:09 pm

I was imbued with these theories:
<110: Hit consistent iron shots
<100: Above + Good short game
<90: Above + Consistent 3-wood/ long irons
<80: Above + Consistent and long Drives...

This is how i work my game thus far... but no harm having the ability to hit long drives right? haha...
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

“The Iron Truth”  Empty
PostSubject: Re: “The Iron Truth”    “The Iron Truth”  I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 4:10 pm

for amateurs playing white tee....a distance of 220m is quite good, leaving a 7 or 6 iron the most for approach...if not at least 200m+ so got chance in those shorter par 4s or 5s.

If u drive 180m and using ur hybrids for approach, that GIR stats will not be improving any time soon, leaving u very dejected.

so which is easier to achieve = longer (not longest) distance or accurate hybrids/long irons...... one may never be achieved in ones life time.

Remember Luke Donald avg 7 yards more to claim the no1 spot.
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

“The Iron Truth”  Empty
PostSubject: Re: “The Iron Truth”    “The Iron Truth”  I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 4:16 pm

for me it's "The Hybrid Truth" Laughing
Back to top Go down
mizzy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
mizzy

“The Iron Truth”  Empty
PostSubject: Re: “The Iron Truth”    “The Iron Truth”  I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 4:18 pm

From what I have learnt, Luke's swing is more timing based and yet his irons are very accurate. A timing based swing is more erratic when the timing is not spot on.

Timing based is relying on the wrists to return the face to square or something like that. the follow through would need the butt of the shaft to face back up the line.

for amatuers, this is not a good swing to adopt?
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

“The Iron Truth”  Empty
PostSubject: Re: “The Iron Truth”    “The Iron Truth”  I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 4:18 pm

BigblackGoof wrote:
I was imbued with these theories:
<110: Hit consistent iron shots
<100: Above + Good short game
<90: Above + Consistent 3-wood/ long irons
<80: Above + Consistent and long Drives...

This is how i work my game thus far... but no harm having the ability to hit long drives right? haha...

that's about right bro. also because once you start breaking 90, your handicap will allow you to play blue tee or your kakis will force you to play blue tee Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

“The Iron Truth”  Empty
PostSubject: Re: “The Iron Truth”    “The Iron Truth”  I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 4:34 pm

all I know is my std should play white
Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

“The Iron Truth”  Empty
PostSubject: Re: “The Iron Truth”    “The Iron Truth”  I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 5:02 pm

In short la

Playing golf is like taking part in a decathalon. You gotta have certain levels of stds in all disciplines.

Have seen luke play on TV. 160yards or below from the pin, his irons are like laer beams. Often lands the ball a few feet from the pin (many times close enuff for a 1-putt).

Then this qn occured to me, what would you do if you played against someone who drives shorter than you, but 150 yards below, always places the ball a few feet from the pin?

I wud gladly give him/her my wallet.

I know, the buayees will mind-f them on the tee box. "Bro, your drive so short? Show me your best drive le?? " Eyes *blink* *blink*

Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

“The Iron Truth”  Empty
PostSubject: Re: “The Iron Truth”    “The Iron Truth”  I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 5:07 pm

mizzy wrote:
From what I have learnt, Luke's swing is more timing based and yet his irons are very accurate. A timing based swing is more erratic when the timing is not spot on.

Timing based is relying on the wrists to return the face to square or something like that. the follow through would need the butt of the shaft to face back up the line.

Your swing also timing base and you are playing fine.

Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

“The Iron Truth”  Empty
PostSubject: Re: “The Iron Truth”    “The Iron Truth”  I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 5:09 pm

Whether you hit it long or short. Short game is key to better scores once you can get your drives in play. So driving is important to keep in play, irons/hybrids to advance and a good short game to enjoy low scores

This applies to social golf/weekend golfers

Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
scarynight
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

“The Iron Truth”  Empty
PostSubject: Re: “The Iron Truth”    “The Iron Truth”  I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 5:46 pm

nientsu wrote:

Then this qn occured to me, what would you do if you played against someone who drives shorter than you, but 150 yards below, always places the ball a few feet from the pin?

I wud gladly give him/her my wallet.

Yah... my father does that...
Luckily we don't bet...
Back to top Go down
mizzy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
mizzy

“The Iron Truth”  Empty
PostSubject: Re: “The Iron Truth”    “The Iron Truth”  I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 5:48 pm

eiji wrote:
mizzy wrote:

Your swing also timing base and you are playing fine.

I'd sure like to play better.. but overhauling/swing change is going to be a biatch... lol
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

“The Iron Truth”  Empty
PostSubject: Re: “The Iron Truth”    “The Iron Truth”  I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 5:59 pm

this is my target improvement plan...currently stage 1.

1. putting / chipping = easiest to improve so putting more time in these areas. Also have to most impact in scores

2. Pitching / short irons (below 100m) = relatively easy to improve and get decent % of good shots.

3. Driver = with proper technique and proper fitting..can get 10m improvement = one iron down = automatic improvement in iron proficiency as most people will be better as the irons get shorter. 20+m = 2 iron down..using 8 instead of 6...automatic GIR improvement.

4. mid to long irons = very difficult to master, especially if we are talking approach to green

5. hybrids / woods = good for distance on par 5s but going for green? who can stop a 3 hybrid on the green like YE Yang did to beat Tiger.
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

“The Iron Truth”  Empty
PostSubject: Re: “The Iron Truth”    “The Iron Truth”  I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 6:19 pm

Let's see if the stats support the assertion of the "THE IRON TRUTH".

2011 PGA TOUR (186 players)

Luke Donald was only middle of the pack in Long Game:

Top 150 in Driving Distance
Top 60 in Driving Ascuracy
Top 40 in GIR.
Top 40 in approaches from 200 yrds
Top 40 in average distance to pin after "CHEONG" or going for it in 2 (par 5)

but check his stats in the Short Game:

No 2 in approaches from 50-125yrds
No 1 in birdie or better % from < 125 YARDS
Top 10 in birdie or better % if Driver hit fairways
Top 10 in scrambling
Top 5 in Sand Save
No 2 in proximity to hole from Sand shot

Most Tellingly his Putting Stats

No.1 in Strokes Gained Putting
No.1 in 3 Putt Avoidance
No.1 in Avg Putts per hole
No.4 in No. Putts per round

I think it's more like "THE WEDGE TRUTH" and "THE PUTTER TRUTH" for him

Buy those MPT11! Laughing

@Mizzy, his iron swing is beautiful but actually not the best (as you had inferred). He's the best wedge player and putter last year.
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

“The Iron Truth”  Empty
PostSubject: Re: “The Iron Truth”    “The Iron Truth”  I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 7:54 pm

http://www.pgatour.com/2011/r/12/13/shotlink-luke-donald/index.html

see report..is it coincidence that his GIR %, scoring improved with his improve driving distance and accuracy? his putting and short game has always been good but the his improve driver is what pushed him all the way to the top.

Just show one need a relatively good drive..no need to be tops, just good enough. It makes a whole lot of difference

BTW i also agree...TM driver, Mizuno irons and Odyssey putter is a very good combo (the best in each category..sorry SC fans)
Back to top Go down
buzz1211
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
buzz1211

“The Iron Truth”  Empty
PostSubject: Re: “The Iron Truth”    “The Iron Truth”  I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 8:14 pm

Played with a retiree once. Par 4.
Hits drive - 180m. Pulls out iron - short of green. Third shot - within 4 feet of pin. 1 putt - par.
Repeat strategy every par 4 and 5.
Long par 3? Lay up. Second shot - next to pin. Par.
Nine holes score - 39.
Me? Lose 2 balls to undergrowth.
Sian
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

“The Iron Truth”  Empty
PostSubject: Re: “The Iron Truth”    “The Iron Truth”  I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 8:50 pm

Btw long drive don't need to be being strong. played with medium built slim elderly gentleman (he claims to be almost 60). Ask to be gentle on him, pull out 3 wood claiming driver erratic.... Boom 240m With 3 wood!!!!. did it almost whole game. Use driver once 250m. He claim technique and equipment helps (he using PRGR spoon). Lucky never bet with him. Ended up giving us a few lessons while the flight behind Waited LOL.
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

“The Iron Truth”  Empty
PostSubject: Re: “The Iron Truth”    “The Iron Truth”  I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 8:54 pm

True, but still u need to hit a decent distance with a driver
Back to top Go down
BigblackGoof
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
BigblackGoof

“The Iron Truth”  Empty
PostSubject: Re: “The Iron Truth”    “The Iron Truth”  I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 9:35 pm

that's about right bro. also because once you start breaking 90, your handicap will allow you to play blue tee or your kakis will force you to play blue tee Very Happy[/quote]

Alamak, so true bro... betting all from blue tees... What a Face
Back to top Go down
HyBriD
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
HyBriD

“The Iron Truth”  Empty
PostSubject: Re: “The Iron Truth”    “The Iron Truth”  I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2012 1:16 pm

eiji wrote:
Whether you hit it long or short. Short game is key to better scores once you can get your drives in play. So driving is important to keep in play, irons/hybrids to advance and a good short game to enjoy low scores

This applies to social golf/weekend golfers

Amen Eiji...Amen to your thoughts
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

“The Iron Truth”  Empty
PostSubject: Re: “The Iron Truth”    “The Iron Truth”  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

“The Iron Truth”
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next