Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Is whatever that is printed truth and fact?

Go down 
+2
Gray
mUAr_cHEe
6 posters
AuthorMessage
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

Is whatever that is printed truth and fact? Empty
PostSubject: Is whatever that is printed truth and fact?   Is whatever that is printed truth and fact? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 8:46 am

i usually do not post such thoughts or share with the masses because i am a selfish person by nature.

but times are tough and perceptions have changed.

above 2 statements have nothing to do with what i wanted to post. sorry, i am so random.

anyway, i have actually always wondered about this, but are the specifications that are printed on clubs heads or on the official web pages true?

for example, you get a Mizuno Driver that prints as 9.5°, will it truely measure as 9.5°? or will it turn out to be 9.7° or even 10°! Mizuno's MP62 has a 35° loft in their website, but will it truely measure as 35° or will it turn out to be 37°?

one way to truely know will be to get it measured, either by a club-fitter or maybe at some precision workshop with kick-ass laser beam and echo sounding calibration devices.

either way...

"Wonder boy! to the bat cave!"
Back to top Go down
Gray
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Gray

PostSubject: Re: Is whatever that is printed truth and fact?   Is whatever that is printed truth and fact? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 9:16 am

I once took a driver I bgt second hand. it was stated as stiff but when i went to BFG, Ultraman told me it was regular.

I also have another driver which was supposed to be regular but when measured at BFG. it was a senior's flex.
Back to top Go down
alucard
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Is whatever that is printed truth and fact?   Is whatever that is printed truth and fact? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 9:28 am

Sorry for noob question but is there an internationally recognised standard for such measurements of shafts flexibility?
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Is whatever that is printed truth and fact?   Is whatever that is printed truth and fact? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 9:34 am

You are a handsome man, MC.
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: Is whatever that is printed truth and fact?   Is whatever that is printed truth and fact? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 9:34 am

i am no expert in this area, but basically it is a society of professionals getting together and forming of such an authority who will dictate the standards based on the measurement equipment that is available.

i knew of a "Professional Clubfitter's Society" but I have not heard much about it.
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Is whatever that is printed truth and fact?   Is whatever that is printed truth and fact? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 9:40 am

The printing i dont really trust is "10 yards longer", "newly improved" but ppl just fall for it. for example the Adams 9032LS

* 10% lower spin
* 3-4 mph faster clubhead speed
* 3-9 more yards carry distance

all assume its the stats over the 9015D which is not the case according to the ppl at WRX.

ppl know the OEM flexs are different from the original make , also OEM Asian vs US spec, TM flex are notorious 'weak' etc but most ppl dont know that.
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: Is whatever that is printed truth and fact?   Is whatever that is printed truth and fact? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 9:43 am

I am not talking about performance of the club... i am just talking specifically about the technical specifications of the club.

10% lower spin can be attributed to 10% weirder swing and 3-4mph faster club head speed can be attributed to 3-4% more body mass build up over time.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Is whatever that is printed truth and fact?   Is whatever that is printed truth and fact? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 9:43 am

Oddly enough, most golfers (particularly amateurs) fall for such statements regardless of whether they're truth and fact. Although many would consider and perhaps even doubt what is stated, plenty of golfers here (and I'm NO exception) believe that better gear fixes golfing flaws so these statements actually work.
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: Is whatever that is printed truth and fact?   Is whatever that is printed truth and fact? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 9:46 am

alucard wrote:
Sorry for noob question but is there an internationally recognised standard for such measurements of shafts flexibility?

hi,

i guess the shaft flex, one of the way is to measure CPM (cycle per minute) to determine shaft flex.

for eg, shaft #1 stated R flex, shaft #2 stated S flex, but you might find both shaft's CPM are very close to each other. I think in term of shaft flex, it would be better to use CPM as a judgement rather than the kind of flex stated on the shaft itself....[left]
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Is whatever that is printed truth and fact?   Is whatever that is printed truth and fact? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 9:49 am

CPM to chim liao....mnay ppl have no idea what cycles per minute is and even if they see the test, have no idea how it works. Even if you show it, may will think a higher CPM = stiffer,

The most popular question will be " is this CPM considered R-flex?"

However they could print the CPM together with the torque/weight/tip dia spec which most already print or put on sticker, so those interested can refer to it. All got actual spec but the flex is only S or R

Last edited by tronos on Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:56 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: Is whatever that is printed truth and fact?   Is whatever that is printed truth and fact? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 9:50 am

its a double edged sword.

if u buy the new equipment and embrace new technology, you will be a believer of "buying a better score."

if u do not buy, then u will be "old-fashioned."
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Is whatever that is printed truth and fact?   Is whatever that is printed truth and fact? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 9:58 am

mUAr_cHEe wrote:
its a double edged sword.

if u buy the new equipment and embrace new technology, you will be a believer of "buying a better score."

if u do not buy, then u will be "old-fashioned."

How true!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is whatever that is printed truth and fact?   Is whatever that is printed truth and fact? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1