Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

moving to Singapore!

Go down 
+2
Duval_S
siagolf
6 posters
AuthorMessage
siagolf
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

moving to Singapore! Empty
PostSubject: moving to Singapore!   moving to Singapore! I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2012 11:38 am

Hello,

My partner and I are moving to Singapore shortly as expats for our company...we ate both very passionate about golf and am hoping some of the locals can help with some of our questions:

1. How does the very hot and humid air impact your shots/distances for those who have played in other countries/places? We're from Vancouver so the cold damp air and ground results in very humbling distances as compared to something like Vegas or Arizona or even Hawaii.

2. What is your experience with Torque golf? I'm very much a club-ho/tinkerer! Any other local stores/builders that are reputable and fair that you would recommend?

3. How long is a typical round in Singapore?

I'll stop there and thanks in advance for any and all replies!

Rich
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: moving to Singapore!   moving to Singapore! I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2012 11:48 am

A big welcome Rich.... I am Duval (nick)

Due to my playing abilities I don play in many places

But for question #3, I can help,.,,,,, typicLly u hv to budget around 4 to 5 hours. We hv one public course in sg And weekend can be quite draggy...5 hours is very likely.
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: moving to Singapore!   moving to Singapore! I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2012 12:35 pm

Hi Rich, welcome! Welcome... I have not played in many other countries but being generally humid and warm climate in Singapore, I would think that distance will be somewat shorter than the drier climate countries... Soft grounds also does not help with much roll...

Not sure wat u meant by torque golf but there are a handful of very reputable club fitters here if that is what u meant.. Big Fish Golf and Wiz Golf are quite popular amongst the forumers here.. They are never short of the latest shafts and technology in the market with very helpful and friendly staffs.. Do a quick search in the forum and u should find plentiful of info on them here.

A weekday game generally last between 4hr15min to 4hr40min... But weekend can stretch it up to 5hrs at time...

Hope the above helps and we look forward to u joining our games when u guys hit our shores! cheers

Back to top Go down
http://www.visualtech.com.sg
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TourSwing

PostSubject: Re: moving to Singapore!   moving to Singapore! I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2012 2:58 pm

Welcome to Singapore!!! I moved here 1.5 yrs ago and my golf game has been improving ever since!!!

1. Its much warmer here, so you'll carry the ball considerably further ... However, the wet and humid conditions will ensure the ball doesn't run much ... Greens are fairly receptive ... I'd imagine conditions here are closer to Hawaii ... Warm, humid, windy! Even though the temperature maxs out at 90f , it feels much warmer than that ... Being at the equator, the sun is the strongest i have experienced

2. No experience with torque golf. However, Big Fishes provides an excellent club fitting experience (and so much more) for most of the golfers here on the forum ... If u see any posts from DGMan, GolfAmigo, Frostee ... Thats them!

3. Anywhere from 4:15 to 5 hrs ... Rains a lot here , and delays and rainouts are a common occurrence

Cant imagine a more drastic change in weather ... Vancouver and Singapore!!!

Cheers Beer
Back to top Go down
kohhanjie
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: moving to Singapore!   moving to Singapore! I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2012 3:30 pm

Torque golf is at laguna country club, they specialize in miura clubs, matrix shaft and masda grip. they are catered to higher ends golfer. approach their boss he is a friendly guy.
Back to top Go down
siagolf
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: moving to Singapore!   moving to Singapore! I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 1:13 am

Thanks so much for the great info - keep 'em coming!
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: moving to Singapore!   moving to Singapore! I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 9:56 am

Siagolf,

Welcome to this region. My replies in red.

siagolf wrote:
Hello,

My partner and I are moving to Singapore shortly as expats for our company...we ate both very passionate about golf and am hoping some of the locals can help with some of our questions:

1. How does the very hot and humid air impact your shots/distances for those who have played in other countries/places? We're from Vancouver so the cold damp air and ground results in very humbling distances as compared to something like Vegas or Arizona or even Hawaii.

Yes, absolutely. I read about GOLFWRX'ers bombing it 300+ yards in Arizona, etc, and I used to wonder, how da heck do they do that? Four things - dry air, hot temperature, low atmospheric pressure and hard fairway all make for long carry and long roll. In this region, it is hot, humid, high pressure and fairways are typically damp/moist/soft. Works out to be about 1-club difference for irons as a rule of thumb.

2. What is your experience with Torque golf? I'm very much a club-ho/tinkerer! Any other local stores/builders that are reputable and fair that you would recommend?

Ah, if you have heard of Torque Golf from so far away, you are a tinkerer club ho' indeed! My experience with Torque Golf has been excellent. I am in Malaysia, and playing Miuras, so directly or indirectly, I got almost my entire bag from Torque because among other products, Torque Golf is Miura's regional distributor. My putter was custom-built by them and I could not be happier with it. You can find more info on Torque and/or Miura experience in the Miura Owner's thread.

Miura Owners' Thread link

3. How long is a typical round in Singapore?

Can't comment on this, have not played in Singapore yet, but having played behind some Singaporean flights in Malaysia, I can understand why according to some posts above it may last up to 5 hours.... Having said that, the flights I have come across are well-dressed and well-mannered.

I'll stop there and thanks in advance for any and all replies!

Rich

I am based in Kuala Lumpur, a place literally almost surrounded by golf courses. So if you are up here and you fancy a game, drop me a PM.

Enjoy your stay.

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
siagolf
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: moving to Singapore!   moving to Singapore! I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 12:10 pm

Thanks Lee...sounds like the playing environment is very similar to Vancouver - believe it or not! We too have a very moist environment, and the cold damp air definitely impacts flight and distance.

Definitely will be checking out some Malaysian courses and will take your offer up soon!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: moving to Singapore!   moving to Singapore! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

moving to Singapore!
Page 1 of 1