Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only

Go down 
+32
acidic88
blee67
slinger
Derek
pippin
Tituman
HyBriD
Ssquirrel
Duval_S
Gray
duffader
mUAr_cHEe
Lee36328
Sean76
golfnut
Newtogolf
ahnah
Turbo
siaokao
VWgolfer
golfian
Billyow
dmateo
ChrisD
LousyGolfer
hkhamateur
garylin
eiji
Slicer51
HD Street Glide
Joshua
mi5trooper
36 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
mi5trooper
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only Empty
PostSubject: Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only   Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 8:44 pm

Today, i took out my iron and give it 5 shot each iron. i notice my 7 iron distance is only 70-80m (is this normal or below normal). the max distance i reach is 100m with 5 and 3 iron.

I must have done pretty badly and the old gentleman next to me hit further then me.

till now, my wood still is not able to measure. sigh...

back to practice again.
Back to top Go down
Joshua
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Joshua

PostSubject: Re: Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only   Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 8:46 pm

dun worry too much.. will get longer Smile
Back to top Go down
mi5trooper
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only   Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 8:50 pm

with result like this, can i go into green....
Back to top Go down
HD Street Glide
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
HD Street Glide

PostSubject: Re: Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only   Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 8:53 pm

mi5trooper: Over time you will gain the swing speed and consistency. This wil help with the distance. So dont be disheartened at thsi stage. Only time will tell... just keep on practicing.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hogsingapore.com
HD Street Glide
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
HD Street Glide

PostSubject: Re: Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only   Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 8:56 pm

mi5trooper wrote:
with result like this, can i go into green....

mi5trooper: Remember its not how you drive but how you arrive. You can take several strokes to reach the green but if the ball is in play than you will have a safe game. Focus on your short game to compensate the short drive or distance.
Back to top Go down
HD Street Glide
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
HD Street Glide

PostSubject: Re: Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only   Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 9:02 pm

mi5trooper: Conseravtive game is better than being agressive. Long hitter tends to be agressive and most often makes mistake along the way. Par opportunity hole could turn out to be a double boogie game. With your distance, you can be conservative and aim for a boogie game or max a double boogie game for now. If luck is on your side you could get around a hole with a par.

Bottomline is play your own game and don't try to be someone else. Don't compare... I guarantee you will have more satisfaction.

Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only   Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 9:10 pm

@mi5trooper: Yes, it is rather short but how long have you being playing golf ? How old are you ? Do you learn from a coach or just self learn ?

I am sure eventually you will gain your distance in time to come but have a coach to look at your swing 1st. Learn the correct swing rather picking up some bad habit when it is hard to charge in later stage.
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only   Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 9:38 pm

See a proper coach.
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
HD Street Glide
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
HD Street Glide

PostSubject: Re: Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only   Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 9:45 pm

Seeing a coach is definitely a good idea.

But a coach can only teach you the basic fundamental of golfing. The grip, the stance, the timing, the swing etc. They will correct your mistakes but the final outcome depends on you and you alone. Becausee the execution comes from you.

Good execution will take lot of practice. Which is equal to consistency and distance.
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only   Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 9:53 pm

HD Street Glide wrote:
Seeing a coach is definitely a good idea.

But a coach can only teach you the basic fundamental of golfing. The grip, the stance, the timing, the swing etc. They will correct your mistakes but the final outcome depends on you and you alone. Becausee the execution comes from you.

Good execution will take lot of practice. Which is equal to consistency and distance.

a coach is not only for the basic fundamentals.

but a coach will definitely first fix the fundamentals.

I am no longer a beginner, but i still continue to see a coach, he checks my fundamentals every session to ensure that the bad habits don't creep in between lessons, thereafter we work on the different aspects of the game.

final outcome does depend on yourself, but without the proper guidance or even right fundamentals, the road to improvement will take longer.

zen saying "When the student is ready, the master will appear"
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
HD Street Glide
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
HD Street Glide

PostSubject: Re: Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only   Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 9:56 pm

eiji: I suppose you are right Peace
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only   Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 9:58 pm

To have consistency and distance. One need to have the correct basic fundamental of a swing 1st. With an incorrect of basic fundamental will gave one an obstacles for improvement in later stages.
Back to top Go down
garylin
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
garylin

PostSubject: Re: Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only   Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 9:58 pm

bro, you can check whether it is '7' or 'L'. There was once I was wondering the same.. until I realised i was actually using an L (Lob) wedge. Read dum balik become 7...
Back to top Go down
HD Street Glide
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
HD Street Glide

PostSubject: Re: Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only   Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 10:00 pm

garylin: Ha Ha ha ...that's funny lol!
Back to top Go down
mi5trooper
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only   Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 10:07 pm

I am pretty sure it is #7. cos i don't have L. I have 3-9 iron, P and S. wood 3 and driver 1. (why i can reember so clearly? cos i just brought a bag. haha....)

garylin wrote:
bro, you can check whether it is '7' or 'L'. There was once I was wondering the same.. until I realised i was actually using an L (Lob) wedge. Read dum balik become 7...
Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
hkhamateur

PostSubject: Re: Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only   Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 10:15 pm

mi5trooper wrote:
Today, i took out my iron and give it 5 shot each iron. i notice my 7 iron distance is only 70-80m (is this normal or below normal). the max distance i reach is 100m with 5 and 3 iron.

I must have done pretty badly and the old gentleman next to me hit further then me.

back to practice again.

Bro mi5trooper, relax as its just e beginning. Distance wil cme soon bt best advice by few here is to seek coachg fm a professional. Very Happy
Its better to hve fun n joy w this sport. flower

Last edited by hkhamateur on Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mi5trooper
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only   Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 10:21 pm

ya. I took up this sport for purely relax and lesiure only.

hkhamateur wrote:
mi5trooper wrote:

back to practice again.

Bro mi5trooper, relax as its just e beginning. Distance wil cme soon bt best advice by few here is to seek coachg fm a professional. Very Happy
Its better to hve fun n job w this sport. flower
Back to top Go down
HD Street Glide
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
HD Street Glide

PostSubject: Re: Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only   Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 10:35 pm

Get a coach, practice diligently and do not be embarrassed when making mistakes.

Don't make it to be complicated. Just enjoy the game....

Cheers Jump
Back to top Go down
LousyGolfer
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only   Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 10:40 pm

Erm... silly question.

Are you using a junior set? If you are (I dun know your age), then 7i 70-80m is still ok, i suppose (having said that, a 12 year-old girl can easily outdrive me)

If you are using an adult set, then 7i for 80m and 5i for 100m is way too short and most prob it is either you are new to the game or the fundamental are not set yet.

However, no worries. With more range time, I am sure your distance will improve. Even lousy golfers like me can occasionally make the ball fly so you should not have an issue.

As for going on green, I would advise that at this moment, only go for executive par-3 courses like the one at NSRCC. With your current distance, a full course might be too tough and may not be fun at all. It might even put you off golf.

Most importantly,,, dun stress and have fun!!!
Back to top Go down
ChrisD
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
ChrisD

PostSubject: Re: Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only   Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 10:44 pm

It's ok. Sometimes my 7i also about the same distance.
Back to top Go down
HD Street Glide
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
HD Street Glide

PostSubject: Re: Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only   Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 10:48 pm

LousyGolfer: Is NSRCC Executive course open to public? Booking required?
Back to top Go down
dmateo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only   Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 11:50 pm

it's open for public but I believe you will need either a PC or a handicap to play there.
if that is a problem try Mandai executive. Not sure how it is now that Seletar took over, but used to be quite relax with the rule and most are beginner.

if all else fails, try batam and johor, I dont think they require Handicap down there.

Good luck !
Back to top Go down
mi5trooper
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only   Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 11:54 pm

me 40 yr old - old man liao. LOL... But i am still a junior to my dad. hehe....

LousyGolfer wrote:
Erm... silly question.

Are you using a junior set? If you are (I dun know your age), then 7i 70-80m is still ok, i suppose (having said that, a 12 year-old girl can easily outdrive me)

If you are using an adult set, then 7i for 80m and 5i for 100m is way too short and most prob it is either you are new to the game or the fundamental are not set yet.

However, no worries. With more range time, I am sure your distance will improve. Even lousy golfers like me can occasionally make the ball fly so you should not have an issue.

As for going on green, I would advise that at this moment, only go for executive par-3 courses like the one at NSRCC. With your current distance, a full course might be too tough and may not be fun at all. It might even put you off golf.

Most importantly,,, dun stress and have fun!!!
Back to top Go down
Billyow
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Billyow

PostSubject: Re: Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only   Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 12:08 am

Distance is only part of the equation. . If you are consistent and the ball fly straight and doesn't slice or hook then got nothing to worry about.
Back to top Go down
mi5trooper
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only   Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 12:19 am

if i use wood. my ball will always fly to the right side. what does it mean by close the club face more?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only   Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is it normal? my 7th iron distance is about 70-80m only
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next