Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Impact of shaft lengthening

Go down 
+15
bigrockshow
eiji
LousyGolfer
hkhamateur
haragolfer
Lee36328
Duval_S
pushslice
DGman
mUAr_cHEe
Technospaz
TigaWood
TourSwing
Artloh
LinLauPeh
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
bigrockshow
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
bigrockshow

Impact of shaft lengthening - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Impact of shaft lengthening   Impact of shaft lengthening - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 2:16 pm

bogeyman72 wrote:
Hey BRS,

Just my 2 cents worth... if you feel that your stance is wrong (or unnatural), best to consult a coach...

cheers

yes that's what i'll be doing too. Currently still trying to get some ball sense so i can make the best of the lessons instead of paying to learn ball sense.

Probably feels wrong because muscle memory not in yet
Back to top Go down
bigrockshow
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
bigrockshow

PostSubject: Re: Impact of shaft lengthening   Impact of shaft lengthening - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 2:19 pm

LousyGolfer wrote:
bigrockshow wrote:
for a normal iron? i mean normal length irons that would come from stock standard iron sets.

as a beginner, i tend to bend more/ squat more to centre my body when i'm using a 7 iron.

This usually results in tired back after 1hr or so. Just curious if anyone has lengthen the shaft due to the same problem ( or is it just me?)

You can go to a fitter to get yourself measured... other than your height, ideal lenght of your clubs will also depend on your setup. Stock irons are not suitable for all and if you just starting out (esp if you are extremely tall or short), it is best to get fitted.

Thanks for the tip! I guess club fitting would be ideal but at this time might be a waste on my standard. My only issue is holding it at the tip of the grip to get proper contact/comfy. Any lower and i'll just miss the ball or continue to bend further.

I'm not sure if this has interrupted the intent of the thread but really appreciate the advices Smile
Back to top Go down
buweeza
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Impact of shaft lengthening   Impact of shaft lengthening - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 2:58 pm

Aside from $$$, any difference choking down on driver versus cutting shaft?
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Impact of shaft lengthening   Impact of shaft lengthening - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 4:24 pm

just curious, what is the max distance of the 48" vs the 44.5".

for some people, no point to choke down, if they dont bother to practise their putting, chipping and pitching..since these ppl are not interested in lowering their scores. Its all about distance, whether they can 2 on a par 5 (does not matter if they 4-putt)

Back to top Go down
LousyGolfer
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Impact of shaft lengthening   Impact of shaft lengthening - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 5:31 pm

tronos wrote:
Its all about distance, whether they can 2 on a par 5 (does not matter if they 4-putt)

Ha ha ha... spot on. Smile That's the fun part for some.
Back to top Go down
LousyGolfer
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Impact of shaft lengthening   Impact of shaft lengthening - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 5:37 pm

tronos wrote:
just curious, what is the max distance of the 48" vs the 44.5".

For max distance, the 48" has much longer than the 44.5" when both are hit correctly (Smash Factor 1.45 on both). However, the downside is that it is much harder to get a 1.45 smash factor consistantly on a 48" (could be just me) whereas for a 44.5, it is easier.

For the exact distance, I am not so sure. But on the short 500m par 5s, I find it easier to get in 2 with the 48". For the 44.5", I tend to force it which ends up worse.
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: Impact of shaft lengthening   Impact of shaft lengthening - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 6:57 pm

buweeza wrote:
Aside from $$$, any difference choking down on driver versus cutting shaft?

Choke down, you have the option of going back longer if you see a wide wide fairway and want to go at it. Bear in mind to check to make sure there is no OB right or left.

Cut is a permanent move (still can be undone with a butt-extension) which does not allow you to grip back up during a round. But you end up with a bit less weight, you will feel you can swing more freely, and your dispersion will be less.

With a longer shaft, I used to borrow fairways massively. It sure was fun when I catch a solid one. But the price was too much to pay. I got tired of searching for lost balls (ProV1 not cheap).

Now, with a cut shaft, I still find myself sometimes choking down without realising it, esp if the fairways look tight. And I have to say, whether it is a direct cause/effect or not, I am hitting distances previously unreachable.

So in my case, absolutely no regret about cutting (sounds like a religious conversion!)
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: Impact of shaft lengthening   Impact of shaft lengthening - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 9:35 pm

LousyGolfer wrote:

For the exact distance, I am not so sure. But on the short 500m par 5s, I find it easier to get in 2 with the 48". For the 44.5", I tend to force it which ends up worse.

Wow 500 m .. easier to get in 2 ? I though you ever told you are a LousyGolfer ?? lol! I have to learn from you and hope to have chance to play in Sin
Back to top Go down
LousyGolfer
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Impact of shaft lengthening   Impact of shaft lengthening - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 10:23 pm

Slicer51 wrote:
Wow 500 m .. easier to get in 2 ? I though you ever told you are a LousyGolfer ?? lol! I have to learn from you and hope to have chance to play in Sin

mmm... I tink I used wrong phrase.

Easier does not mean I can do it normally,,, juz once in a lifetime maybe, when there is 100mph backwind, downhill hole, ball hit water sprinkler, bounce forward then roll on cart path and stop. After all that, most prob the same have to happen again for my 3-wood for me to 2 on.

Anyway, my golf is really lousy but I'm having good fun. As @Tronos mentioned, there are people who cannot hit irons, chip, pitch and putt (I keep missing those 1 footers). I am one of them Smile

Let's have a game when you visit Singapore... heard you made a killing when BabyCroc, DWK and company visited you.
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: Impact of shaft lengthening   Impact of shaft lengthening - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 11:50 pm

LousyGolfer wrote:
Slicer51 wrote:

mmm... I tink I used wrong phrase.

Easier does not mean I can do it normally,,, juz once in a lifetime maybe, when there is 100mph backwind, downhill hole, ball hit water sprinkler, bounce forward then roll on cart path and stop. After all that, most prob the same have to happen again for my 3-wood for me to 2 on.

Anyway, my golf is really lousy but I'm having good fun. As @Tronos mentioned, there are people who cannot hit irons, chip, pitch and putt (I keep missing those 1 footers). I am one of them Smile

Let's have a game when you visit Singapore... heard you made a killing when BabyCroc, DWK and company visited you.

Why I have a feeling that you are not telling me the truth Rolling Eyes lol! just kidding.

Me killed BabyCroc, DMK and company ? It is most like they killed me. The truth is, that one round was my worse round ever in my home course .. So embarrassing Embarassed Embarassed However, I am looking for my rematch when I now knew them better and more relax Smile That was not my normal self as I have the same feeling when I played with Mly 1st time in Surabaya 2 year ago.
Back to top Go down
LinLauPeh
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
LinLauPeh

PostSubject: Re: Impact of shaft lengthening   Impact of shaft lengthening - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 2:33 am

DGman wrote:
there are fewer people who will benefit from increasing length than there are in reducing length.

with accuracy comes distance, with inaccuracy comes doubt.

so you go figure that out.

DGman

Wah Eric, Sibeh chim arh... hahaha...

My PING G10 9.0 deg head fitted on Aldila voodoo 46 inch resulted in almost the same distance as my burner head 9.5 deg on Aldila DVS 45 inch.... but seems more accurate.

My drive recently seems to have a lot of back spin which caused my ball to divot on fairways and bounce back instead of rolling forward losing much distance. Is this caused by my swing or equipment?
Back to top Go down
LinLauPeh
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
LinLauPeh

PostSubject: Re: Impact of shaft lengthening   Impact of shaft lengthening - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 2:35 am

mUAr_cHEe wrote:
Smaller head.

What head? My head still here leh... hahaha.....
Back to top Go down
LinLauPeh
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
LinLauPeh

PostSubject: Re: Impact of shaft lengthening   Impact of shaft lengthening - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 2:42 am

LousyGolfer wrote:
Bro LLP, I am currently gaming a 48" driver with E1 swing weight (Cobra Long Tom)... IT IS FUN!!! Try it.

To answer your question, length increase, swing speed increase, accuracy decreases (normally) and impact factor decreases (normally). The swing plane also changes (I swing my 48" driver like a baseball bat)

My numbers experimenting with different driver lenght across the year:
48" - Avg Swing Speed:118mph, Smash factor:1.29
46.5" - Avg Swing Speed: 109mph, Smash factor: 1.34
44.5"- Ave Swing Speed: 101mph, Smash Factor: 1.45 (my swing for a 44.5" and 48" is different)

So 48" gives me the greatest length and let me play two fairways more often...

P.S. I am changing back to a 47" as it is a pain to get the driver into my car boot Smile

Wah bro! you use 48"!!! I'm just a short ass. If use 48" I may be doing ballet dancing once I swing it. hahaha.... you are a damn good golfer lah.....
Back to top Go down
LinLauPeh
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
LinLauPeh

PostSubject: Re: Impact of shaft lengthening   Impact of shaft lengthening - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 2:46 am

bogeyman72 wrote:
Hey BRS,

Just my 2 cents worth... if you feel that your stance is wrong (or unnatural), best to consult a coach...

cheers

Dunno why... your avatar makes my avatar sing mari kita.... scratch scratch scratch
Back to top Go down
TigaWood
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TigaWood

PostSubject: Re: Impact of shaft lengthening   Impact of shaft lengthening - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2012 10:26 pm

Today I reconfirmed that my shorter driver with 11.5* loft is hitting longer and tighter than my 9.5* 45.5 shaft.
I was pushing my drive initially.
After the warm up, it was quite good.
Back to top Go down
http://www.HuatLeow.com
LinLauPeh
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
LinLauPeh

PostSubject: Re: Impact of shaft lengthening   Impact of shaft lengthening - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2012 10:34 pm

I tried holding an inch lower during my game this morning and the hits were so sweet.

The addition of the metal pieces increased the weight of my shaft.

Since holding an inch lower results better, should I removed the metal piece and use back 45" instead? Will it make a difference? Or I should go for club fitting to verify?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Impact of shaft lengthening   Impact of shaft lengthening - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Impact of shaft lengthening
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2