Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Impact of shaft lengthening

Go down 
+15
bigrockshow
eiji
LousyGolfer
hkhamateur
haragolfer
Lee36328
Duval_S
pushslice
DGman
mUAr_cHEe
Technospaz
TigaWood
TourSwing
Artloh
LinLauPeh
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
LinLauPeh
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
LinLauPeh

Impact of shaft lengthening Empty
PostSubject: Impact of shaft lengthening   Impact of shaft lengthening I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 10:17 pm

What is the impact of lengthening driver shaft from 45" to 46"?

Other than additional weight at the handle tip, Will the addition affects the end swing results?
Back to top Go down
Artloh
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Impact of shaft lengthening   Impact of shaft lengthening I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 12:08 am

It'll affect the overall swing weight.
Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TourSwing

PostSubject: Re: Impact of shaft lengthening   Impact of shaft lengthening I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 1:03 am

Swingspeed goes up ... However, this does not neccessarily translate to more distance , as smashfactor may go down
Back to top Go down
TigaWood
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TigaWood

PostSubject: Re: Impact of shaft lengthening   Impact of shaft lengthening I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 2:09 am

After reading about cutting the length and increasing the loft in this forum.
I experiment it with a 11.5* driver and 44.5 inch shaft.
My fairway accuracy went up to almost 100%!
Not much lost in distance.
Back to top Go down
http://www.HuatLeow.com
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Impact of shaft lengthening   Impact of shaft lengthening I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 7:58 am

All things being equal, i.e. swing and golfer, then I suspect that you'll gain distance at the expense of accuracy.
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: Impact of shaft lengthening   Impact of shaft lengthening I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 8:52 am

Smaller head.
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Impact of shaft lengthening   Impact of shaft lengthening I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 8:54 am

there are fewer people who will benefit from increasing length than there are in reducing length.

with accuracy comes distance, with inaccuracy comes doubt.

so you go figure that out.

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Impact of shaft lengthening   Impact of shaft lengthening I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 9:03 am

I agree. Also...

"Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering."
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Impact of shaft lengthening   Impact of shaft lengthening I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 9:05 am

Technospaz wrote:
I agree. Also...

"Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering."

suffering leads to KACHIINGGG $$$
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Impact of shaft lengthening   Impact of shaft lengthening I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 9:14 am

based on my 2 years of studying physics.....lengthening of shaft...is suppose to give rise to distance

based on my 7 years of studing my golf ......when I choke down, I get cleaner hit....when I choke up, I choke literally...

based on common sense which I had accumulated for the past 10 years.....I choke down
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: Impact of shaft lengthening   Impact of shaft lengthening I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 9:19 am

seebayho wrote:
After reading about cutting the length and increasing the loft in this forum.
I experiment it with a 11.5* driver and 44.5 inch shaft.
My fairway accuracy went up to almost 100%!
Not much lost in distance.

Seebayho,

the 11.5 degree might have helped too.

See Tom Wishon's article in this thread

http://www.golfrepublic.org/t2777p195-what-is-club-fitting#276046
Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy
haragolfer

PostSubject: Re: Impact of shaft lengthening   Impact of shaft lengthening I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 9:28 am

after going to Big Fish Golf a few days ago, Eric told me, I would be surprised how many pros play with c6-c8 swing weight. and...

i am with Duval on this. i choke down on driver 1 inch and irons too after watching Anthony Kim, lo and behold, i hit further, and straighter. Go figure.
Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
hkhamateur

PostSubject: Re: Impact of shaft lengthening   Impact of shaft lengthening I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 9:31 am

Technospaz wrote:
I agree. Also...

Bro TS, wa...u sound like starwars 'master Yoda, em....i can sense fear! The darkside! What a Face
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Impact of shaft lengthening   Impact of shaft lengthening I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 9:34 am

Quote :
Quote :
hkhamateur wrote:
Technospaz wrote:
I agree. Also...

Bro TS, wa...u sound like starwars 'master Yoda, em....i can sense fear! The darkside! What a Face

wait till you play with him..

remember pearl harbour.....some jokers happy happy go and whack somebody's play ground..

that somebody...woke up...and 'farted' at the somebody's playground to a worse effect....

thats Techno..
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Impact of shaft lengthening   Impact of shaft lengthening I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 9:49 am

LOL! Duval_S' new title should be SBTCSS... si beh tok kok seeng soong.

Anyway, back to topic. I tend to choke down a little as well. I get better control over the club and as DGman mentioned, a better shot which (oddly enough) translates to better distance too Smile
Back to top Go down
LousyGolfer
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Impact of shaft lengthening   Impact of shaft lengthening I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 9:54 am

Bro LLP, I am currently gaming a 48" driver with E1 swing weight (Cobra Long Tom)... IT IS FUN!!! Try it.

To answer your question, length increase, swing speed increase, accuracy decreases (normally) and impact factor decreases (normally). The swing plane also changes (I swing my 48" driver like a baseball bat)

My numbers experimenting with different driver lenght across the year:
48" - Avg Swing Speed:118mph, Smash factor:1.29
46.5" - Avg Swing Speed: 109mph, Smash factor: 1.34
44.5"- Ave Swing Speed: 101mph, Smash Factor: 1.45 (my swing for a 44.5" and 48" is different)

So 48" gives me the greatest length and let me play two fairways more often...

P.S. I am changing back to a 47" as it is a pain to get the driver into my car boot Smile
Back to top Go down
TigaWood
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TigaWood

PostSubject: Re: Impact of shaft lengthening   Impact of shaft lengthening I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 11:48 am

Duval_S wrote:
based on my 2 years of studying physics.....lengthening of shaft...is suppose to give rise to distance

based on my 7 years of studing my golf ......when I choke down, I get cleaner hit....when I choke up, I choke literally...

based on common sense which I had accumulated for the past 10 years.....I choke down

This is pure wisdom!
Back to top Go down
http://www.HuatLeow.com
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: Impact of shaft lengthening   Impact of shaft lengthening I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 11:51 am

LousyGolfer wrote:
Bro LLP, I am currently gaming a 48" driver with E1 swing weight (Cobra Long Tom)... IT IS FUN!!! Try it.

To answer your question, length increase, swing speed increase, accuracy decreases (normally) and impact factor decreases (normally). The swing plane also changes (I swing my 48" driver like a baseball bat)

44.5"- Ave Swing Speed: 101mph, Smash Factor: 1.45 (my swing for a 44.5" and 48" is different)

P.S. I am changing back to a 47" as it is a pain to get the driver into my car boot Smile

your ball speed with the 44.5" is much higher than 46.5 but the ball speed from the 48" with the low smash factor is still higher than everything else.
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TourSwing

PostSubject: Re: Impact of shaft lengthening   Impact of shaft lengthening I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 1:06 pm

eiji wrote:
LousyGolfer wrote:

your ball speed with the 44.5" is much higher than 46.5 but the ball speed from the 48" with the low smash factor is still higher than everything else.

Length, SwingSpeed, SmashFactor, BallSpeed
48.0", 118, 1.29, 152.22
46.5", 109, 1.34, 146.06
44.5", 101, 1.45, 146.45

Changing back to 47" (or 46.5") doesn't seem to make any sense IMHO ... as it gives you your lowest ball speed out of the three options!

If I were you I would continue with 44.5" (or 45") as the additional distance (approx 12m-15m) gained by the 48" is at the expense of a "poor" smash factor of 1.29 which, I imagine, would result in you spraying the ball all over the place.

In the mean time you can practice with the 48" on the range , and try to get the smash factor to at least 1.40 before you take it on the course! my 2 cents

Back to top Go down
bigrockshow
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
bigrockshow

PostSubject: Re: Impact of shaft lengthening   Impact of shaft lengthening I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 1:56 pm

just curious, by means of extending the shaft, would it make it easier for a taller guy to hit?

Back to top Go down
LousyGolfer
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Impact of shaft lengthening   Impact of shaft lengthening I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 2:04 pm

bigrockshow wrote:
just curious, by means of extending the shaft, would it make it easier for a taller guy to hit?

I would assume so... depending on your height...imagine trying to whack a kids driver...
Back to top Go down
bigrockshow
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
bigrockshow

PostSubject: Re: Impact of shaft lengthening   Impact of shaft lengthening I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 2:08 pm

for a normal iron? i mean normal length irons that would come from stock standard iron sets.

as a beginner, i tend to bend more/ squat more to centre my body when i'm using a 7 iron.

This usually results in tired back after 1hr or so. Just curious if anyone has lengthen the shaft due to the same problem ( or is it just me?)
Back to top Go down
LousyGolfer
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Impact of shaft lengthening   Impact of shaft lengthening I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 2:12 pm

@Tourswing.... agreed that moving to 47" makes no sense, but it is more fun. If I had a choice, I may keep the 48" (mmm... instead of switching drivers, maybe I should upgrade my car instead so that my driver can fit in).... the occasional time when you catch the ball flush is really SHOIK!!! Swing

Having said that, most golfers looking to improve their games (esp those just starting out) should avoid lengthing their drivers to this extend (44.5" is actually a very good lenght to train on) as the longer driver does create some bad habits which will impact how well you will play golf in the future. I'm already dead-wood so this doesn't matter White Flag
Back to top Go down
bogeyman72
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
bogeyman72

PostSubject: Re: Impact of shaft lengthening   Impact of shaft lengthening I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 2:12 pm

Hey BRS,

Just my 2 cents worth... if you feel that your stance is wrong (or unnatural), best to consult a coach...

cheers
Back to top Go down
LousyGolfer
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Impact of shaft lengthening   Impact of shaft lengthening I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 2:15 pm

bigrockshow wrote:
for a normal iron? i mean normal length irons that would come from stock standard iron sets.

as a beginner, i tend to bend more/ squat more to centre my body when i'm using a 7 iron.

This usually results in tired back after 1hr or so. Just curious if anyone has lengthen the shaft due to the same problem ( or is it just me?)

You can go to a fitter to get yourself measured... other than your height, ideal lenght of your clubs will also depend on your setup. Stock irons are not suitable for all and if you just starting out (esp if you are extremely tall or short), it is best to get fitted.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Impact of shaft lengthening   Impact of shaft lengthening I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Impact of shaft lengthening
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next