Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What can I do to re-condition my 2nd hand club ?

Go down 
+8
shimizu.toruk
boboking
kevinhwc
golf_snowman
Derek
scottycollector
nientsu
ahnah
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ahnah
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
ahnah

What can I do to re-condition my 2nd hand club ? Empty
PostSubject: What can I do to re-condition my 2nd hand club ?   What can I do to re-condition my 2nd hand club ? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 1:33 pm

Pls refer to the pic below.

What can I do to re-condition my 2nd hand club ? 427231_10150563954246909_593521908_9074535_996196106_n

What can I do to re-condition my 2nd hand club ? 425713_10150563965411909_593521908_9074632_1567788875_n

What can I do to re-condition my 2nd hand club ? 425713_10150563965416909_593521908_9074633_388853213_n

What can I do to re-condition my 2nd hand club ? 425713_10150563965426909_593521908_9074634_718426885_n

Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

PostSubject: Re: What can I do to re-condition my 2nd hand club ?   What can I do to re-condition my 2nd hand club ? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 1:42 pm

apart from cleaing it and oiling it. Nothing much u can do. Probably change shaft?
Back to top Go down
ahnah
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
ahnah

PostSubject: Re: What can I do to re-condition my 2nd hand club ?   What can I do to re-condition my 2nd hand club ? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 1:55 pm

nientsu wrote:
apart from cleaing it and oiling it. Nothing much u can do. Probably change shaft?

oiling it ??? i have 2 kind .. one is carbon and 1 is steel (or chrome) ..

how much to change shaft ?
Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

PostSubject: Re: What can I do to re-condition my 2nd hand club ?   What can I do to re-condition my 2nd hand club ? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 1:58 pm

depending. Could cost as much as 90 per shaft
Back to top Go down
scottycollector
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
scottycollector

PostSubject: Re: What can I do to re-condition my 2nd hand club ?   What can I do to re-condition my 2nd hand club ? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 2:02 pm

ur irons don't look too bad. if u want to remove the minor rust spots, u can dip the iron head in coke for 30min to 1 hour and then just wipe off with a sponge. u may also want to sharpen ur grooves

as for ur woods, i suggest u just buy new ones.
Back to top Go down
ahnah
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
ahnah

PostSubject: Re: What can I do to re-condition my 2nd hand club ?   What can I do to re-condition my 2nd hand club ? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 2:05 pm

nientsu wrote:

wow ~ that is exp ... how abt just change the grip ?

Back to top Go down
ahnah
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
ahnah

PostSubject: Re: What can I do to re-condition my 2nd hand club ?   What can I do to re-condition my 2nd hand club ? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 2:06 pm

scottycollector wrote:
ur irons don't look too bad. if u want to remove the minor rust spots, u can dip the iron head in coke for 30min to 1 hour and then just wipe off with a sponge. u may also want to sharpen ur grooves

coke ??? really ??? or can use WD40 ?

Does the shops in SG have such services to sharpen the grooves ? or we have to DIY ?
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: What can I do to re-condition my 2nd hand club ?   What can I do to re-condition my 2nd hand club ? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 2:22 pm

Actually, your irons look fine, just clean out the grooves, can't see if that is rust or dirt in the grooves, but a soft wire brush should be fine

Agree that you might want to change your fairway woods, they look like they have very deep faces (which might be good off the tee but not that easy to launch of the fairway)

Isetan sale has new TM R9 5 woods going for $99, about the best deal out there currently

Also suggest that you get a 4 or 5 hybrid (22deg or 25deg) to replace the longer irons
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: What can I do to re-condition my 2nd hand club ?   What can I do to re-condition my 2nd hand club ? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 2:23 pm

for iron..

remove the shaft, clean up the head, remove paint fill, use a fine sand paper and sand the head, do up the paintfill...then get a new shaft and new grip with new headcover...

for wood..nothing can be done, except cleaning
Back to top Go down
ahnah
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
ahnah

PostSubject: Re: What can I do to re-condition my 2nd hand club ?   What can I do to re-condition my 2nd hand club ? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 2:27 pm

Derek wrote:
Actually, your irons look fine, just clean out the grooves, can't see if that is rust or dirt in the grooves, but a soft wire brush should be fine

Agree that you might want to change your fairway woods, they look like they have very deep faces (which might be good off the tee but not that easy to launch of the fairway)

Isetan sale has new TM R9 5 woods going for $99, about the best deal out there currently

Also suggest that you get a 4 or 5 hybrid (22deg or 25deg) to replace the longer irons

I try to take more pic of the rusty iron.

U heard of Tommy Armour this brand ? compare to PING LST ... which one is better?

I will try to launch without Tee and see how it goes

Thanks for the advise.
Back to top Go down
ahnah
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
ahnah

PostSubject: Re: What can I do to re-condition my 2nd hand club ?   What can I do to re-condition my 2nd hand club ? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 2:28 pm

golf_snowman wrote:
for iron..

remove the shaft, clean up the head, remove paint fill, use a fine sand paper and sand the head, do up the paintfill...then get a new shaft and new grip with new headcover...

remove the shaft means have to cut the club head away and tear off the grip ?

Back to top Go down
kevinhwc
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kevinhwc

PostSubject: Re: What can I do to re-condition my 2nd hand club ?   What can I do to re-condition my 2nd hand club ? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 2:36 pm

ahnah wrote:
nientsu wrote:

wow ~ that is exp ... how abt just change the grip ?

90 per shaft is really ex..... didn't know that reshafting costs that much... must learn to DIY already... thought of reshafting my irons to NSPro 950 R to try out but at that price.... maybe I'll give it a pass
Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

PostSubject: Re: What can I do to re-condition my 2nd hand club ?   What can I do to re-condition my 2nd hand club ? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 2:38 pm

graphites usually more exp when compared to steel shafts. NS Pros, if you are patient, can get it at a very good price.
Back to top Go down
kevinhwc
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kevinhwc

PostSubject: Re: What can I do to re-condition my 2nd hand club ?   What can I do to re-condition my 2nd hand club ? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 2:40 pm

I saw some bros here letting it off at very low price, but I don't know how to reshaft... Don't want to swing half way and the head fly out and hit something or someone...

that will be real bad....
Back to top Go down
boboking
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
boboking

PostSubject: Re: What can I do to re-condition my 2nd hand club ?   What can I do to re-condition my 2nd hand club ? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 2:41 pm

Go to a clubfitter, there are usually a selection of pull outs available. You can get reasonably good ones from $20/pc onwards (excluding workmanship).
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: What can I do to re-condition my 2nd hand club ?   What can I do to re-condition my 2nd hand club ? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 3:22 pm

ahnah wrote:
Derek wrote:

I try to take more pic of the rusty iron.

U heard of Tommy Armour this brand ? compare to PING LST ... which one is better?

I will try to launch without Tee and see how it goes

Thanks for the advise.

As for the Ping vs Tommy Armour questions, my suggestion is to take the 7,8 and 9 of each set to the range and see which one you like better.

For the iron heads, just make sure the grooves are free from junk and ignore the rust elsewhere, it really does not make a difference to where the ball goes.
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: What can I do to re-condition my 2nd hand club ?   What can I do to re-condition my 2nd hand club ? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 3:41 pm

ahnah wrote:
golf_snowman wrote:
for iron..

remove the shaft means have to cut the club head away and tear off the grip ?

remove the shaft mean get a clubfitter to pull out the shaft..u can do it yourself if you have the right tool...
Back to top Go down
shimizu.toruk
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
shimizu.toruk

PostSubject: Re: What can I do to re-condition my 2nd hand club ?   What can I do to re-condition my 2nd hand club ? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 3:52 pm

scottycollector wrote:

OK, that's it...I'm giving up coke... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ahnah
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
ahnah

PostSubject: Re: What can I do to re-condition my 2nd hand club ?   What can I do to re-condition my 2nd hand club ? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 6:45 pm

Like that coke no business.
Is WD40 works?
Back to top Go down
caution
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
caution

PostSubject: Re: What can I do to re-condition my 2nd hand club ?   What can I do to re-condition my 2nd hand club ? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 6:52 pm

ahnah wrote:
nientsu wrote:

Bro just a suggestion, to change your shaft you can go to Bishan driving range the top floor, there is a pro shop, you can change your shalf there, quite reasonable price and if you are lucky he has some used shalf which can be cannablize to fit your irons. I went there to re-shaft my SW and change the grip its less than $50 if I remember correctly. Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
ahnah
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
ahnah

PostSubject: Re: What can I do to re-condition my 2nd hand club ?   What can I do to re-condition my 2nd hand club ? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 7:07 pm

caution wrote:
ahnah wrote:
nientsu wrote:

Bro just a suggestion, to change your shaft you can go to Bishan driving range the top floor, there is a pro shop, you can change your shalf there, quite reasonable price and if you are lucky he has some used shalf which can be cannablize to fit your irons. I went there to re-shaft my SW and change the grip its less than $50 if I remember correctly. Hope this helps.

Bro

U mean the shaft and the grip per club is less than $50
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What can I do to re-condition my 2nd hand club ?   What can I do to re-condition my 2nd hand club ? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 7:11 pm

buy another set...cheaper and better

but if u just want to clean, can use rust remover (not WD40...stronger ones..forgot brand liao), i tried on my black wedge, removed all the coating as well!!! now raw head..
Back to top Go down
ahnah
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
ahnah

PostSubject: Re: What can I do to re-condition my 2nd hand club ?   What can I do to re-condition my 2nd hand club ? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 7:16 pm

tronos wrote:
buy another set...cheaper and better

but if u just want to clean, can use rust remover (not WD40...stronger ones..forgot brand liao), i tried on my black wedge, removed all the coating as well!!! now raw head..

Newbie mah shouldn't just buy a new Set. That is my coach advise
Back to top Go down
caution
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
caution

PostSubject: Re: What can I do to re-condition my 2nd hand club ?   What can I do to re-condition my 2nd hand club ? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 7:17 pm

[quote="ahnah"]
caution wrote:
ahnah wrote:
nientsu wrote:

Bro

U mean the shaft and the grip per club is less than $50[/quote

Yes bro that is correct but that is provided if he has some used shafts which previous owners do not want it. Try your luck there, never know if you can get lucky.
Back to top Go down
ahnah
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
ahnah

PostSubject: Re: What can I do to re-condition my 2nd hand club ?   What can I do to re-condition my 2nd hand club ? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 7:22 pm

Bro caution

If not wrong u r referring to pro shop or custom golf shop right ?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What can I do to re-condition my 2nd hand club ?   What can I do to re-condition my 2nd hand club ? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What can I do to re-condition my 2nd hand club ?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next