Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Belly putters to be banned?

Go down 
+19
mUAr_cHEe
pushslice
blurnana
Itsuki
mowen
audi
HyBriD
sob
Cyrano
DGman
tronos
Newtogolf
Duval_S
DRGjr72
asahi
S70B
eiji
JonL_TK
golfool2009
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
golfool2009
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
golfool2009

Belly putters to be banned? Empty
PostSubject: Belly putters to be banned?   Belly putters to be banned? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 9:24 pm

Both the USGA and R&A are looking into belly putters.....i think they're a bit late to the game....

http://golfweek.com/news/2012/feb/05/usga-r-may-not-spare-belly-putters-after-all/
Back to top Go down
JonL_TK
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
JonL_TK

PostSubject: Re: Belly putters to be banned?   Belly putters to be banned? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 9:58 pm

BS... Wonder what else they discussed about in the meeting!
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: Belly putters to be banned?   Belly putters to be banned? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 11:35 pm

JonL_TK wrote:
BS... Wonder what else they discussed about in the meeting!

oh no, my frenemy is worried!

Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Belly putters to be banned?   Belly putters to be banned? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 1:07 am

Wah liddat Mowen better be worried too!
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Belly putters to be banned?   Belly putters to be banned? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 1:07 am

Hiaz....lose weight lor.
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Belly putters to be banned?   Belly putters to be banned? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 1:23 am

They alr f up the wedge groove thingy liao. Now they wanna f up the putters.

And Asahi, I alr told u PGA tour all the belly putter users no tummy one. Ms Lee and Mowen are not good examples.

Better try it out while u can! Razz
Back to top Go down
golfool2009
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
golfool2009

PostSubject: Re: Belly putters to be banned?   Belly putters to be banned? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 8:32 am

If they go with Tiger's suggestion, you can keep your belly and your broomstick...just need longer wedges....

From sports.yahoo.com/golf
Woods said he has spoken to Royal & Ancient chief executive Peter Dawson the last several years about how the language could be written in the Rules of Golf that effectively would ban such putters.

“My idea was to have it so that the putter would be equal to or less than the shortest club in your bag,” Woods said. “And I think with that, we’d be able to get away from any type of belly anchoring.”
Back to top Go down
DRGjr72
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
DRGjr72

PostSubject: Re: Belly putters to be banned?   Belly putters to be banned? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 8:33 am

Bummer...Looks like I am going to have to put that idea on the shelf until a ruling comes down.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Belly putters to be banned?   Belly putters to be banned? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 9:24 am

I agree with TW's view.

there must be some guidelines on the length ...
Back to top Go down
Newtogolf
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Belly putters to be banned?   Belly putters to be banned? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 9:28 am

Hmm.... Belly putters? Never tried it before but it just doesn't appeal to me.

33 / 32" length putter does it good for me.
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Belly putters to be banned?   Belly putters to be banned? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 9:40 am

The rules are rules...if the new equip is within the current rule, then no choice. no point crying about it. Maybe they should ban white drivers or colored balls (as both seems to have some effect)

Back to top Go down
DRGjr72
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
DRGjr72

PostSubject: Re: Belly putters to be banned?   Belly putters to be banned? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 11:30 am

Here is an article that goes over some of the stats and raises question as to whether and outright ban of belly putters would be good for the game (in case no one noticed there are clear difference between everyday golfers and touring professionals) and is even needed as the stats don't seem to suggest there is much improvement despite 3x as many players using the method.

Anyhow I am guessing since Tiger talked about it and is against it, that something will be done. Best guess is that belly putters will be legal, anchoring the club to the body will become illegal (in essence eliminating the use for a belly putter, but not outright banning it).

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-equipment/blogs/hotlist365/2011/08/stats-unclear-on-the-long-putt.html
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Belly putters to be banned?   Belly putters to be banned? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 12:23 pm

i have always advocate the need to free onself and thus when someone comes in to ask for a belly putter, i feel like i need to explain the difference between putting with a fixed point versus using a shorter putter without a fixed axis. if one understand how a putting stroke works, putting with a fixed point will actually reduce feel and control.

having said that it was pretty irresponsible for a ruling committee to publish something like a possible ban. it will have a big effect on playing professionals who are currently using a belly or a broomstick.

rules keep changing and if you look at some of the older clips (black and white) some of the putters used would have been banned today.

one of the most peculiar putter i have seen was at the british open in 2010 cos i was on the green and i saw KJ training and playing with this putter. needless to say, he missed the cut by a mile and the inventor disappear from the surface of the earth.

Belly putters to be banned? 6839380999_5de72f4fd3_z

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
Cyrano
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Belly putters to be banned?   Belly putters to be banned? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 1:27 pm

this putter reminds me of the movie "7 days in utopia"..
Back to top Go down
sob
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
sob

PostSubject: Re: Belly putters to be banned?   Belly putters to be banned? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 1:29 pm

Eric,

is that what they call the side saddle putter?
Sam Snead did that in the past after he was banned from using the croquet style

Back to top Go down
HyBriD
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
HyBriD

PostSubject: Re: Belly putters to be banned?   Belly putters to be banned? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 1:50 pm

I think the Golf club makers will Lobby for keep Belly Putters "legal"

Most of the putter makers have already invested $$$$
and we just have to accept that there are players who feel better when playing a Belly Putter

I do not see any advantage when one uses a belly putter.
Ernie Els & Phil Mickleson have tried them but have failed to win a tournament.

Belly Putter have aided Golfers who have back problems

Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/pnchung
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Belly putters to be banned?   Belly putters to be banned? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 1:51 am

yes its the side saddle putter....
Back to top Go down
audi
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
audi

PostSubject: Re: Belly putters to be banned?   Belly putters to be banned? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 9:44 am

i've tried belly putter and i think its an easier way to putt. my hands just cant keep still when using a standard putter. belly putter helps my hand keep stable and still and thus give me more accurate putting. just my opinion
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Belly putters to be banned?   Belly putters to be banned? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 10:01 am

try broomstick if you have the chance. its actually quite a nice way to make a putt.

however the lie angle on a broomstick has to be more than 76 degrees and less than 80 degrees which is one reason why you don't get a lot of choices.

i will built one on a ZEN for demo purposes.

DGman

Back to top Go down
mowen
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mowen

PostSubject: Re: Belly putters to be banned?   Belly putters to be banned? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 10:12 am

S70B wrote:
They alr f up the wedge groove thingy liao. Now they wanna f up the putters.

And Asahi, I alr told u PGA tour all the belly putter users no tummy one. Ms Lee and Mowen are not good examples.

Better try it out while u can! Razz

Ms Lee if you find a solution or better putter if this "Ban the belly putter" really happens Can PM me ..
Back to top Go down
Itsuki
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Itsuki

PostSubject: Re: Belly putters to be banned?   Belly putters to be banned? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 11:18 am

Wonder whether the size of the putter head will be a consideration as well??
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Belly putters to be banned?   Belly putters to be banned? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2013 9:16 pm

so the fiasco continue.......USGA advocating ban.....but PGA tour say no.

so who will win?

its just funny to me....when one interview the belly putter-ers......they likely say, change to belly help....then , when the proposed ban comes along....then say, no diff....

does this apply to asian tour also?
Back to top Go down
blurnana
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Belly putters to be banned?   Belly putters to be banned? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2013 11:28 pm

I've been using a broomstick putter all these while and got so used to it. I won't say it does give an edge, but its definitely gentle for my back.
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Belly putters to be banned?   Belly putters to be banned? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 6:13 am

There is not enough empirical data to support an advantage yet, 3 majors in the last 30yrs+ isn't statistically significant.

In 2012, there were only 2 anchored putters (Bradley, Petersson) in the top 30 PGA tour strokes gained in putting. The foremost stats in putting. Zero in Top 10. Both golfers have used anchored putters for years. They didn't dominate amateur and college competition.

Does it make some golfers putt better? Yes it does. Me, for example. Ernie Els too.
Does it make all golfers putt better, everytime? No, it doesn't. None of my kakis want to use. Snedeker and Luke don't think is good for them

The belly putter efficacy isn't proven over time/enough samples. They should do a study of belly putters vs non belly putters, measure stats before using belly vs after, but at the same time measure new balls vs old balls technology, high moi vs low moi drivers etc.

USGA has always said the proposed ban is about "the sanctity of the game", keeping true to its origins. Its not about advantage, at least not YET Very Happy

Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: Belly putters to be banned?   Belly putters to be banned? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 9:26 am

Wait. Anchoring is not confirmed to banned yet?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Belly putters to be banned?   Belly putters to be banned? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Belly putters to be banned?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next