Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Hybrid Vs. 3 Wood

Go down 
+21
eiji
HyBriD
Winston
Duval_S
simoner
mengteck71
dmateo
copen123
zixter
Birdman
beehome
golfnut
Bangla123
madmaru
fata
TDO
jaketang
golf_snowman
nientsu
Schulo
scarynight
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Bangla123
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Bangla123

Hybrid Vs. 3 Wood - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hybrid Vs. 3 Wood   Hybrid Vs. 3 Wood - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 11:27 am

Birdman wrote:
beehome wrote:
hi bangla123, ur 3W - 240mtrs! tt is really long. may i ask which 3W and shaft,thks

I recently witnessed with my own eyes someone from this forum launch a 3 wood 5 metres forward into the longkang. After a drop, he launched one with the same 3 wood 240 metres uphill with a strong headwind to the back of the green. I was wondering why he was shouting fore at that distance. When I saw the guys on the green react, I realised why.

Don't know of any hybrid that can do the same.

That's really dangerous play.
Back to top Go down
Bangla123
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Bangla123

PostSubject: Re: Hybrid Vs. 3 Wood   Hybrid Vs. 3 Wood - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 11:30 am

dmateo wrote:
Bangla123 wrote:
My 3 wood goes -240

3 hybrid that plays like a 2 goes -210

And not all woods are hard to play, just find one that suits your eye

you're a hard hitter, and I thougth only prof do this sort of thing. My driver barely plays 220m and here is someone with 240m on a 3 wood.
you drive at least 280 meter I take it ?

Actually no I only really go for it When the set up of the hole permits, usually just keep it on the fairway with an easy swing.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hybrid Vs. 3 Wood   Hybrid Vs. 3 Wood - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 11:39 am

I think folks who are blessed with such distance should give some advantages to folks who cant even imagine having such distance.
Back to top Go down
scarynight
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hybrid Vs. 3 Wood   Hybrid Vs. 3 Wood - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 11:40 am

Thanks for the comments..

Looks like for most folks, the reason the 3W is in the bag is because it goes further....

But I think I am willing to sacrifice distance for accuracy.

I mean for a 480m ar 5. I drive 230m. no matter what, I can't reach the green in 2.
If I use the 3W, on those rare good shots, say 210m I left 40m, left or right but never center...

If I use my 3H (which is what I do now), 180+m, left 70m, like quite far like that...

BUT... if I can get a hybrid which can go further say 200m and with the same dispersion as the 3H. Ah.....

Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

PostSubject: Re: Hybrid Vs. 3 Wood   Hybrid Vs. 3 Wood - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 12:24 pm

scarynight wrote:
Thanks for the comments..

Looks like for most folks, the reason the 3W is in the bag is because it goes further....

But I think I am willing to sacrifice distance for accuracy.

I mean for a 480m ar 5. I drive 230m. no matter what, I can't reach the green in 2.
If I use the 3W, on those rare good shots, say 210m I left 40m, left or right but never center...

If I use my 3H (which is what I do now), 180+m, left 70m, like quite far like that...

BUT... if I can get a hybrid which can go further say 200m and with the same dispersion as the 3H. Ah.....

70m in the middle of the fairway should be better than 40m left right in the rough, OB, water, harzard, jungle, having to chip over bunker etc etc shouldnt it???

Simple maths. Assuming your 7i 130m
Dirve - 230m
7i *2 = 260m
3 on for par 5 is already GIR.

Total distance is already over green. Wouldnt your iron shots be more consistent than your hybrids / woods?
Back to top Go down
scarynight
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hybrid Vs. 3 Wood   Hybrid Vs. 3 Wood - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 1:25 pm

Hi Winston

Winston wrote:

70m in the middle of the fairway should be better than 40m left right in the rough, OB, water, harzard, jungle, having to chip over bunker etc etc shouldnt it???

Yes. I agree. So I could always just continue using my 3H and do this. But I want to find out other options and opinions la.

Winston wrote:

Dirve - 230m
7i *2 = 260m

Total distance is already over green. Wouldnt your iron shots be more consistent than your hybrids / woods?

Yeps. This is one option but use 7i GIR less percentage than if I use my wedge leh.

Say I play 2 x 7i shots, I will need 2 successive good 7i shots.. But I am newbie and cannot handle pressure, so low percentage for me...
Some more if how my first 7i shot lousy, then jialat.... got 130m to the green in super thick rough... then my balls will shrink and the 2nd 7i/6i shot cfm chui. Worse, ball roll 10m only.

But if I play hybrid and wedge, hybrid chui land in rough but near, so still got chance and balls won't shrink so badly. Hybrid good, can attack pin some more... Hybrid super chui, can blame hybrid then buy 1 x new hybrid instead of 7 x new irons.

If only my 3W percentage got as decent as my hybrid than good la... but I think that one wait till after 21st Dec 2012.
Back to top Go down
HyBriD
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
HyBriD

PostSubject: Re: Hybrid Vs. 3 Wood   Hybrid Vs. 3 Wood - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 2:38 pm

Hey,

3Fw is harder to hit when the lie is not good.
Specially if the ball is above your feet or
Below your feet.

There are golf courses like in our country that have challenging anjulations.
The fairway greens are not always flat

So if you are in that position, a hybrid , 5 wood or 7 wood can do wonders
specially if you need distance.

Hybrid were made to replace Fw and Long irons
Some can hit Hybrids better than Long irons
and some can't,,,,they used 2, 3 & 4irons

Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/pnchung
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

PostSubject: Re: Hybrid Vs. 3 Wood   Hybrid Vs. 3 Wood - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 2:48 pm

scarynight wrote:
Hi Winston

Winston wrote:

Yes. I agree. So I could always just continue using my 3H and do this. But I want to find out other options and opinions la.

Winston wrote:

Dirve - 230m
7i *2 = 260m

Yeps. This is one option but use 7i GIR less percentage than if I use my wedge leh.

Say I play 2 x 7i shots, I will need 2 successive good 7i shots.. But I am newbie and cannot handle pressure, so low percentage for me...
Some more if how my first 7i shot lousy, then jialat.... got 130m to the green in super thick rough... then my balls will shrink and the 2nd 7i/6i shot cfm chui. Worse, ball roll 10m only.

But if I play hybrid and wedge, hybrid chui land in rough but near, so still got chance and balls won't shrink so badly. Hybrid good, can attack pin some more... Hybrid super chui, can blame hybrid then buy 1 x new hybrid instead of 7 x new irons.

If only my 3W percentage got as decent as my hybrid than good la... but I think that one wait till after 21st Dec 2012.

If hybrid chui, blame the indian, not the arrow.

I very very seldom use hybrid / woods to attack pin. I always lay up to a comfortable yaradge I have high confidence in which is anything between 100y-150y to the green (Not to the pin). Maybe you should practice in reverse order. Instead of just hitting drivers, hybrids and see the ball fly long long and feel shiok, practice your irons. You will be surprised with what you can achieve with it.
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: Hybrid Vs. 3 Wood   Hybrid Vs. 3 Wood - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 3:11 pm

winston from your advise, i really think you should have no problem playing below 100.

course management should be a seperate topic from hybrid vs 3 wood talk.

And course management differs from individual to individual. some are more aggressive and some are more conservative in their approach plays. however confidence is key.

if scoring is the objective, than on par 5s, laying up to the most comfortable and confident scoring distance is important.

ie. 480m par 5, drive 220m, left with 260 m to pin, if pitching wedges hits about 100m and tighter dispersion. picking the club to layup to 100m thereabouts would be smarter course management than taking out a 3 wood or long hybrid and be left with awkward distance of 40 to 70m.
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Hybrid Vs. 3 Wood   Hybrid Vs. 3 Wood - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 3:21 pm

eiji wrote:
winston from your advise, i really think you should have no problem playing below 100.

And course management differs from individual to individual. some are more aggressive and some are more conservative in their approach plays. however confidence is key.

if scoring is the objective, than on par 5s, laying up to the most comfortable and confident scoring distance is important.

ie. 480m par 5, drive 220m, left with 260 m to pin, if pitching wedges hits about 100m and tighter dispersion. picking the club to layup to 100m thereabouts would be smarter course management than taking out a 3 wood or long hybrid and be left with awkward distance of 40 to 70m.

actually hor.... course designers not that stupid

if they know most wanna layup at the 80-100m mark, they will put some hazards there.....

then they make u think 2x or 3x what u wanna do....

sometimes the hazards determine the clubs u wanna use....

also, it depends on your opponents.....

against MC, bogey will win the hole.... dun anyhow cheong

What a Face

Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: Hybrid Vs. 3 Wood   Hybrid Vs. 3 Wood - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 3:26 pm

slinger wrote:
eiji wrote:

actually hor.... course designers not that stupid

if they know most wanna layup at the 80-100m mark, they will put some hazards there.....

then they make u think 2x or 3x what u wanna do....

sometimes the hazards determine the clubs u wanna use....

also, it depends on your opponents.....

against MC, bogey will win the hole.... dun anyhow cheong

What a Face

I was just illustrating a simple case, on actual course the decision will definitely vary due to hazards, undulations and other considerations.
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
Schulo
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Schulo

PostSubject: Re: Hybrid Vs. 3 Wood   Hybrid Vs. 3 Wood - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 3:32 pm

scarynight wrote:
Hi schulo,

Good points. But may I ask why u use the 3w on a good lie on the fairway?

Is it because it's easier to hit the wood than the hybrid on the fairway?

Or is it because the 3w goes further?

3w, because I hit it easier than a hybrid.
I actually prefer a long iron over a hybrid anyday.
Just my taste...
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

PostSubject: Re: Hybrid Vs. 3 Wood   Hybrid Vs. 3 Wood - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 4:03 pm

eiji wrote:

Currently working on breaking 100. Have come close the last couple of times I played.

Coming back to the topic on hand. Hybrid vs Woods.

Hybrids easier to hit. suppose to hit it like an iron. take divot but smaller than irons. Hybrids also shorter shaft length.

Woods are supposedly harder to hit because require "sweeping" motion like driver and also due to the design of the club and also longer shaft.

Back to top Go down
beehome
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
beehome

PostSubject: Re: Hybrid Vs. 3 Wood   Hybrid Vs. 3 Wood - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 4:18 pm

im v interested in this thread bcos since i started golf, i only hv a Nike 3W. I think most bros here share my experience n tt is getting hand-me-downs from frens who introduce u to the game.

Nike Sasquatch 3W 15deg stock shaft. Lately i hv been hitting it quite good. Consistently straight 190m.

Will appreciate advice from fellow GRs :-

1) Is my 3W distance average or below average?
2) What can I do to improve distance? Change shaft ?
3) Any particular brand or model tt is easier to handle? like i heard the PING G-series.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
RalliFTO
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hybrid Vs. 3 Wood   Hybrid Vs. 3 Wood - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 4:20 pm

This is a dilemma I'm having. I currently using a pair of borrowed 3W and 5W. Planning to return them and am unsure if I should be purchasing a hybrid or 5W in replacement.
Back to top Go down
Bangla123
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Bangla123

PostSubject: Re: Hybrid Vs. 3 Wood   Hybrid Vs. 3 Wood - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 4:59 pm

5w is a good choice if you can't launch a 3. You might even consider a 7wood. Hybrids are more for replacing your long irons if you ve got trouble launching them. The official
Stance is that a hybrid is not meant to replace a fairway wood.
Back to top Go down
RalliFTO
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hybrid Vs. 3 Wood   Hybrid Vs. 3 Wood - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 5:04 pm

Bangla123 wrote:
5w is a good choice if you can't launch a 3. You might even consider a 7wood. Hybrids are more for replacing your long irons if you ve got trouble launching them. The official
Stance is that a hybrid is not meant to replace a fairway wood.

Thanks for the advice. Will most likely be getting a 5W then. Don't often see 7W in the shops though
Back to top Go down
Bangla123
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Bangla123

PostSubject: Re: Hybrid Vs. 3 Wood   Hybrid Vs. 3 Wood - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 5:20 pm

Np, I think 7 woods are more common in Japanese brands. The other option is to buy a 3 wood and cut it down to a comfortable length. You can go down to see either Eric or Ivan at big fish club fitters for this
Back to top Go down
beehome
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
beehome

PostSubject: Re: Hybrid Vs. 3 Wood   Hybrid Vs. 3 Wood - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 5:48 pm

hi lincoln,

i hv a 5W tt i am not using anymore. if u want, i can sell it to u.
Back to top Go down
Quest
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Quest

PostSubject: Re: Hybrid Vs. 3 Wood   Hybrid Vs. 3 Wood - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 7:43 pm

I've tried using hybrids in place of FW, but without much success. Distance-wise, hybrids are slightly shorter but the longer hybrids (1 & 2 hynrids) are not so much easier to hit in any case. Couldn't seem to get much consistency either. In the end, still use back FW.
Back to top Go down
scarynight
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hybrid Vs. 3 Wood   Hybrid Vs. 3 Wood - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 7:50 pm

Quest wrote:
I've tried using hybrids in place of FW, but without much success. Distance-wise, hybrids are slightly shorter but the longer hybrids (1 & 2 hynrids) are not so much easier to hit in any case. Couldn't seem to get much consistency either. In the end, still use back FW.

Hi Quest,

Thanks for sharing. What was the loft of your hybrids?
Back to top Go down
Quest
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Quest

PostSubject: Re: Hybrid Vs. 3 Wood   Hybrid Vs. 3 Wood - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 7:54 pm

lincoln_wang wrote:
This is a dilemma I'm having. I currently using a pair of borrowed 3W and 5W. Planning to return them and am unsure if I should be purchasing a hybrid or 5W in replacement.

Think the solution could be the TM 3 hybrid which is now a very strong 18 Deg, just like a 5W. Very easy to hit & distance also very good.
Back to top Go down
Quest
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Quest

PostSubject: Re: Hybrid Vs. 3 Wood   Hybrid Vs. 3 Wood - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 7:56 pm

I have tried a 1-hybrid (16 Deg), & 2-hybrid (17 Deg), different brands of course, that's why the loft gap difference.
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hybrid Vs. 3 Wood   Hybrid Vs. 3 Wood - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 7:58 pm

2 on for par 5 not possivle with hybrids for normal players?
Back to top Go down
Quest
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Quest

PostSubject: Re: Hybrid Vs. 3 Wood   Hybrid Vs. 3 Wood - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 8:05 pm

tronos wrote:
2 on for par 5 not possivle with hybrids for normal players?

Anything is possible in golf. The problem is doing it consistently. Not sure what you mean by "normal" players. For me, a good drive with about 200 - 220 yds left is doable with a hybrid when all the stars are aligned together.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hybrid Vs. 3 Wood   Hybrid Vs. 3 Wood - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hybrid Vs. 3 Wood
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2