Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

3 Wacky Golf Rules in Thailand

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

3 Wacky Golf Rules in Thailand Empty
PostSubject: 3 Wacky Golf Rules in Thailand   3 Wacky Golf Rules in Thailand I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 9:13 am

Found this article from Asian Golf Nation and like to share with all.

Three Wacky Rules Of Golf In Thailand

When golfing in Thailand either for holiday, sport or pleasure playing by the rules can be a beautiful thing. Here are three of the craziest rules that I have ever heard of (surely nobody obeys them when golfing in Thailand).

1. Ball Overhanging the Hole
When was the last time you putted and found your ball lying halfway in the hole, or just at the lip? When any part of the ball overhangs the hole, you allowed enough time to reach the hole without unreasonable delay (no wonder Thai golfers walk so slowly when on the green) and then an additional ten seconds to determine whether the ball is at rest. (Slower yet?) If the ball subsequently falls into the hole, it deemed that you have holed out with your last stroke and you must add a penalty stroke (the stupidest penalty in all golf if you ask me) to your score. In other words, the same outcome as if you had walked up to the ball and immediately tapped in.

2. Tending the Flagstick
Does your Thai golf caddie normally tend the flag for you? If not, you better think about asking her to. You may request to have the flagstick attended or removed while making a stroke from anywhere on the course (on or off the green). If your Thai caddie does not attend or remove the flag before you make your stroke, don’t ask her too. The flag can not be attended or removed during your stroke or while the ball is in motion because the rule says that if doing it might influence the movement of your ball. (Can you believe that?) If the flagstick is in the hole and your Thai caddie stands near it while the stroke is made, that is OK. The caddie is deemed to be attending the flagstick even if she is not actually holding it.

3. Illegal Pin Position
Have you ever played a Thailand golf course and found the pin position on one of the holes to be in the corner of the green? Many Thailand golfers believe a hole position must be 1 flagstick’s length from the edge of the green. While this is probably a good idea perhaps, though there is no rule that prohibits a sadistic green keeper from locating the hole at water’s edge. Now this is unfair to say the least. However, it should also be noted there is no rule that prohibits firing the greens keeper.

So the next time you are playing golf in Thailand, remember (1) walk fast when on the green, (2) always ask your caddie to tend the pin, and (3) play all pin positions as they are laid out, but do not be afraid to have the green keeper fired if there are some unreasonable hole locations.

Most of all enjoy your Thailand golf holiday and don’t take the rules too seriously!
Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
nutty88

3 Wacky Golf Rules in Thailand Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3 Wacky Golf Rules in Thailand   3 Wacky Golf Rules in Thailand I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 2:29 pm

When I play in Thailand, I always ensure that i follow the rules below: -

1. Always have a caddie to hold umbrella for me.

2. Always have a caddie that carries a stool and do massage for me.

3. Always pick a caddie where she can play 19-hole with me after the game.

Just kidding. What a Face
Back to top Go down

3 Wacky Golf Rules in Thailand
Page 1 of 1