Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

You may never trust another Golf Club review again

Go down 
+12
aizen
duffader
4dtoto
S70B
Khorkar
golfool2009
Technospaz
Lee36328
tronos
simoner
RT2
eiji
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

You may never trust another Golf Club review again Empty
PostSubject: You may never trust another Golf Club review again   You may never trust another Golf Club review again I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 01, 2012 11:39 pm

For those that are obsessed by reviews you read online or in magazines. Or even the GD hot list.

Take some time and read this first. You may decide to not base your club selection of just what is found on the WWW.

http://www.mygolfspy.com/the-truth-they-dont-want-you-to-know/
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
RT2
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: You may never trust another Golf Club review again   You may never trust another Golf Club review again I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 01, 2012 11:59 pm

eiji wrote:
For those that are obsessed by reviews you read online or in magazines. Or even the GD hot list.

Take some time and read this first. You may decide to not base your club selection of just what is found on the WWW.

http://www.mygolfspy.com/the-truth-they-dont-want-you-to-know/

That's why we like to read fellow (amateur) golfers' reviews on such forums and review sites. Always take any reviews with a large dollop of salt too and test-drive on the course by borrowing your friends' clubs!
Back to top Go down
simoner
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
simoner

PostSubject: Re: You may never trust another Golf Club review again   You may never trust another Golf Club review again I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 7:22 am

Ultimately, it is still a business...
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: You may never trust another Golf Club review again   You may never trust another Golf Club review again I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 12:55 pm

its a fashion statement......nobody (unless the guy is a really good player) will be caught dead with Wlison Staff clubs.

Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: You may never trust another Golf Club review again   You may never trust another Golf Club review again I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 11:03 pm

I USED TO put a lot of faith in the GD hot list.

Then I noticed subsequent hot list had many clubs which earned perfect scores in terms of stars. Which rendered the meaning of ranking moot.

Now I don't even buy the magazine anymore. They are colourful and well-designed. But whether for cutting edge thinking on golf swing, or the latest in clubs, sometimes even before the official release, and what real-life members think of them, I get more out of some online forums. What's more, the forums are free, and I don't get ad inserts jumping out at me.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: You may never trust another Golf Club review again   You may never trust another Golf Club review again I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 11:09 pm

I don't trust GD's hotlist entirely but I do find that it's a good guide.
Back to top Go down
golfool2009
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
golfool2009

PostSubject: Re: You may never trust another Golf Club review again   You may never trust another Golf Club review again I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 11:10 pm

Another article from mygolfspy on how important it is to read the find print. Taylormade, I'm talking about you......anyone who believes rocketballz will give you an extra 17 yards may want to avert your eyes.....

http://www.mygolfspy.com/taylormade-2012-rocketballz/

For those too lazy to go to the link

Here’s the quote from the presser:

RocketBallz Fairway Woods Promote up to 17 Additional Yards. Really.
RocketBallz fairway woods combine RocketBallz technology with increased face size, low CG location, advanced playability features and a lightweight shaft and grip. The combination of these elements promotes a remarkable increase in distance – better players will gain up to 17 yards.*

Now be sure to pay very, very close attention to that asterisk right there, because the fine print it references is a bitch.

* better player claim against Burner 11 Fairway, robot testing at 150 mph ball speed, total distance.

Here’s the other extremely important reality; the overwhelming majority of golfers are incapable of generating 150MPH of ball speed with a driver, let alone a fairway wood. In fact, based on our own testing with fairway woods, our testers (who as a group tend to generate above average club head speed), generate an average of 130-135MPH worth of ball speed with a 3 wood.

<<My swing speed with a driver is 90-92mph gives me approx only 138mph ball speed >>
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: You may never trust another Golf Club review again   You may never trust another Golf Club review again I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 11:45 pm

Bottom line... try out the clubs before you buy... Dont read into the marketing BS, you got to try it...and be convinced that it is the one
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: You may never trust another Golf Club review again   You may never trust another Golf Club review again I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 1:51 am

golfool2009 wrote:
Another article from mygolfspy on how important it is to read the find print. Taylormade, I'm talking about you......anyone who believes rocketballz will give you an extra 17 yards may want to avert your eyes.....

http://www.mygolfspy.com/taylormade-2012-rocketballz/

For those too lazy to go to the link

Here’s the quote from the presser:

RocketBallz Fairway Woods Promote up to 17 Additional Yards. Really.
RocketBallz fairway woods combine RocketBallz technology with increased face size, low CG location, advanced playability features and a lightweight shaft and grip. The combination of these elements promotes a remarkable increase in distance – better players will gain up to 17 yards.*

Now be sure to pay very, very close attention to that asterisk right there, because the fine print it references is a bitch.

* better player claim against Burner 11 Fairway, robot testing at 150 mph ball speed, total distance.

Here’s the other extremely important reality; the overwhelming majority of golfers are incapable of generating 150MPH of ball speed with a driver, let alone a fairway wood. In fact, based on our own testing with fairway woods, our testers (who as a group tend to generate above average club head speed), generate an average of 130-135MPH worth of ball speed with a 3 wood.

<<My swing speed with a driver is 90-92mph gives me approx only 138mph ball speed >>

That was a fabulously entertaining read which turned me into an instant fan of Mygolfspy.

Thanks very much for the link! I've just added Mygolfspy to my favorites folder.
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: You may never trust another Golf Club review again   You may never trust another Golf Club review again I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 8:58 am

Wadaya know? The GD Hotlist is out in the stands rite now.

I never trusted too much on it tho cos every wood churned out by TM has been crap since the R7/R9 era and yet they continue to give it Gold status.

When the Superfast driver came out, I tot it will be a turnround for them but sadly, I was jus kidding myself.

Sugarcoating crap is still the name of the game. Ppl will lick it to find out how shitty it is after awhile.
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: You may never trust another Golf Club review again   You may never trust another Golf Club review again I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 9:18 am

I save you guys the money.

2012 Golf Digest Hot List - Results

DRIVERS

GOLD
Taylormade R11S
Taylormade Rocketballz
Taylormade Rocketballz Tour
Callaway RAZR Fit
Cleveland Classic
Cobra AMP
Nike VR_S
Ping G20
Titleist 910 D2/D3

SILVER
Adams Speedline F12LS
Callaway RAZR Black
Cleveland CG Black
Ping i20

FAIRWAY WOODS

GOLD
Taylormade R11S
Taylormade Rocketballz
Taylormade Rocketballz Tour
Callaway RAZR X Black
Ping G20
Titleist 910F
TourEdge Exotics XCG-5

SILVER
Adams Speedline Fast12
Callaway RAZR Fit
Cleveland CG Black
Cobra Baffler T-Rail
Nike VR_S
Ping i20
Yonex Ezone SD

HYBRIDS

GOLD

Taylormade Rocketballz
Taylormade Rocketballz Tour Rescue
Adams A12
Adams A12 OS
Callaway RAZR X
Callaway RAZR X TOUR
Ping G20
Ping i20
Titleist 910H

SILVER
Adams Pro a12
Callaway RAZR X HL
Cleveland Mashie +
Cobra Baffler T-Rail
Nike VR_S
TourEdge XCG-5
Wilson Fybrid RS

GAME-IMPROVEMENT IRONS

GOLD

Taylormade R11
Taylormade Rocketballz
Callawy RAZR X
Callaway RAZR X Black
Cobra AMP
Mizuno JPX-800 Pro
Ping G20
Titleist AP1

SILVER
Cleveland CG Black
Mizuno JPX-800
Nike VR_S
TourEdge XCG-5
Wilson Staff Ci11

SUPER GAME-IMPROVEMENT IRONS

GOLD
Taylormade Rocketballz
Adams Idea a12 OS
Callaway RAZR X HL
Callaway RAZR XF
Mizuno JPX-800 HD
Ping K15

SILVER
Cleveland Mashie
Nike VR_S

PLAYERS IRONS

GOLD
Cleveland 588 CB
Mizuno MP-59
Ping i20
Titleist AP2

SILVER
Adams Idea Pro a12
Callaway RAZR X Tour
Mizuno MP-53
Nike VR Pro Combo CB
Ping s56
Taylormade Preferred MC
Titleist CB Forged

WEDGES

GOLD
Cleveland 588 Forged
Ping Anser
Titleist Vokey SM4

SILVER
Taylormade ATV
Bridgestone J40
Callaway Forged
Cobra Trusty Rusty
Mizuno MP-R12
Nike VR Pro Forged
SCOR4161

BLADE PUTTERS

GOLD
Nike Method Core
Odyssey Metal-X
Ping Anser Milled
Ping Scottsdale
Titleist Cameron California

Titleist Cameron Select
Yes! C-Groove

SILVER
Odyssey ProType Tour Series
Rife Island Series
Taylormade Ghost Tour

MALLET PUTTERS

GOLD
Odyssey Metal-X
Ping Scottsdale
Taylormade Ghost

SILVER
Nike Method Concept
Nike Method Core
Odyssey ProType Tour Series
SeeMore mSeries Private Reserve
Titleist Cameron California Fastback
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: You may never trust another Golf Club review again   You may never trust another Golf Club review again I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 9:40 am

Looking at where they placed the Adams clubs, especially the driver and the A12 hybrid, I am now a total believer in my golf spy's credibility.
Back to top Go down
4dtoto
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
4dtoto

PostSubject: Re: You may never trust another Golf Club review again   You may never trust another Golf Club review again I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 9:41 am

This damn cute... i20 driver not even on the shelf and already got silver rating...mmmmm
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: You may never trust another Golf Club review again   You may never trust another Golf Club review again I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 9:46 am

I very happy that none of my clubs on the list.... means when i playing good golf, its all about my swing and nothing about by my equipment... and when i play bad, i can blame it on my equipment. lol.....
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: You may never trust another Golf Club review again   You may never trust another Golf Club review again I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 9:50 am

Hot List has direct co-relation to Marketing dollar spent at GD.
Back to top Go down
aizen
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: You may never trust another Golf Club review again   You may never trust another Golf Club review again I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 9:52 am

There is another interesting quote from golfspy:

“If I’m wrong I’ll shave a TaylorMade logo into my head and dye what little hair I have left green to match the revolutionary new accent color of the RBZ.”
Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

PostSubject: Re: You may never trust another Golf Club review again   You may never trust another Golf Club review again I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 9:53 am

Or you can use it this way:

"Bro, you driver ah, no good la, only silver in the GD hotlist. Why dont you sell it to me at brudder price? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
4dtoto
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
4dtoto

PostSubject: Re: You may never trust another Golf Club review again   You may never trust another Golf Club review again I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 9:55 am

nientsu wrote:
Or you can use it this way:

"Bro, you driver ah, no good la, only silver in the GD hotlist. Why dont you sell it to me at brudder price? Very Happy

hahahaha..good bargaining point..but what if the driver fall in Gold ???
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: You may never trust another Golf Club review again   You may never trust another Golf Club review again I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 9:56 am

you can sell it for higher.
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: You may never trust another Golf Club review again   You may never trust another Golf Club review again I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 10:34 am

duffader wrote:
I very happy that none of my clubs on the list.... means when i playing good golf, its all about my swing and nothing about by my equipment... and when i play bad, i can blame it on my equipment. lol.....

Or it could mean your clubs are really good, threatening to compete w the big boys and make them look bad, so they were left out of the list altogether.
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: You may never trust another Golf Club review again   You may never trust another Golf Club review again I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 10:34 am

Sell it for bro in law price. Blood thicker than marriage lor
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: You may never trust another Golf Club review again   You may never trust another Golf Club review again I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 11:42 am

4dtoto wrote:
This damn cute... i20 driver not even on the shelf and already got silver rating...mmmmm

It is hete in the land of free Capt 4D.
Back to top Go down
4dtoto
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
4dtoto

PostSubject: Re: You may never trust another Golf Club review again   You may never trust another Golf Club review again I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 11:43 am

nice or not as compare to G10? head similar?
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: You may never trust another Golf Club review again   You may never trust another Golf Club review again I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 12:11 pm

Rex, got r&r time to demo clubs there? I trust u more than I trust hotlist Very Happy
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: You may never trust another Golf Club review again   You may never trust another Golf Club review again I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 12:54 pm

Haha I'm on a mission for infant.

When I have the spare time to look ard at the golf stuff will see if anything worth sharing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: You may never trust another Golf Club review again   You may never trust another Golf Club review again I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

You may never trust another Golf Club review again
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next