Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

NIKE VR HALF-CAVITY FORGED IRONS REVIEW

Go down 
+10
Technospaz
mengteck71
Airwave
rocky
ughly
botak
jaketang
mervyntan
Ssquirrel
monsterlonester
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
monsterlonester
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

NIKE VR HALF-CAVITY FORGED IRONS REVIEW Empty
PostSubject: NIKE VR HALF-CAVITY FORGED IRONS REVIEW   NIKE VR HALF-CAVITY FORGED IRONS REVIEW I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 10:02 am

I'm new to the forum so I thought I'll contribute something regarding my latest club purchase.

Loaned out an Ikaus from BFG and it convinced me to ditch my existing set to go for forged irons.

The NIKE VR Half-Caivity Forged Irons are targetted at mid-handicappers who prefer to have the combination of ball-shaping and forgiveness. Tiger Woods had a hand in the design for this set of irons. It has also found its way into many PGA pro's bags who actually prefer the half-cavity than the blades.

Looks: Didn't really like the silver waffle design at the cavitiy. The silver portion also looked like cheap paint. The chrome finish of the blade portion was beautiful though. Toeline is thin and sole is relatively thin. Felt that I'm not swinging a changkul but a proper golf club. Thin sole also helps reduce the chances of a large divot with a fat shot.

Shafts: Got mine on NSPRO Stiff as recommended by BFG

Grips: Nike default. Not as grippy as golf pride but better than stock Taylormade.

Feel: Felt much better than the Burners I was using before. The forged head certainly improves feel. Espcially when you hit the sweet spot, the feeling is indescribable. Sadly, the Ikasu still felt better. Then again, the price is very different as well.

Forgiveness: While this is not targetted at high handicappers, I think there is no problem for high handicappers to use this. I am a 24 handicap myself. I can hit it no problem. In fact, I will go as much as to say that these are only slightly lesser in forgiveness with the TM Burners 09 that I had previously. The best thing is that I can purposefully attempt a hook or draw and it works. No loss in distance for me but dispersion is better, due to the stiffer shaft.

Nike Golf Sale at Enterprise One selling 4-PW for only $+++. Can't get any better for a set of new forged iron set.

Last edited by monsterlonester on Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

PostSubject: Re: NIKE VR HALF-CAVITY FORGED IRONS REVIEW   NIKE VR HALF-CAVITY FORGED IRONS REVIEW I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 10:09 am

Thanks for the review! I myself looking to get the 09 TM Burners for the forgiveness..
Back to top Go down
mervyntan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mervyntan

PostSubject: Re: NIKE VR HALF-CAVITY FORGED IRONS REVIEW   NIKE VR HALF-CAVITY FORGED IRONS REVIEW I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 10:12 am

u sure or not... after getting such a beautiful "wife", you choose to abandon her for a younger, better-looking lady with less skills and more forgiveness???

sigh. looks like some people just have all the luck................... maybe i should look after your "wife" for u......... cyclops
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: NIKE VR HALF-CAVITY FORGED IRONS REVIEW   NIKE VR HALF-CAVITY FORGED IRONS REVIEW I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 11:30 am

wow this set seems interesting... Smile

bro monsterlonester, u sure it is forgiving even for high hcp? i mean the half cavity set.
Back to top Go down
monsterlonester
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: NIKE VR HALF-CAVITY FORGED IRONS REVIEW   NIKE VR HALF-CAVITY FORGED IRONS REVIEW I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 1:38 pm

I used to have reservations to get a Nike golf club just because it is Nike, not a pure golf brand like Titleist or Callaway or even TM.

I did not like the Burners 09 because

1) Topline is thick and sole is thick. The head just looked huge. It is supposed to give more confidence but it led to me having less confidence as I always thought that i will create a huge divot before I get to to hitting the ball
2) The feel of cast iron vs forged iron is most certainly different. Hit it on the sweet spot and the forged iron feels just so right!
3) I was playing a US Reg grap shaft which is too soft for me. With the heavy head, I had to focus a lot on the tempo. Re-shafting cost is more than buying the new Nike set.
4) I bought it on impulse and realised TM is just coming up with new models all the time. It makes it seem that there is not much research and invention, just repackaging and marketing.
5) I actually hit this longer than my previous irons and I had to adjust all my yardages. I was so estatic. I then realised this is due to the Burners having different lofts. eg. The 7I has the same loft as 6I from other sets. Of course it will have more distance. In the end, I had to get a AW because the PW went too far. I prefer not to deceive myself like that.

I chose the Nike Forged Cavity because

1) It is forged. Improved feel and possible to adjust fitting.
2) It is still considered cavity back
3) Tiger Woods endorses it. It is widely that he has a hand in fine tuning this series. Surely the world No. 1 knows how a good club should feel like.
4) More time is spent on design and research. Tiger has been with Nike for the longest time. I don't see him putting his name down with any iron set prior to this. VR series is close to 1 year old but there are no replacement rumours yet. TM just comes up with new sets every 3 months.
5) I see myself using this set longer. I want to improve and I will improve. I am committed to practice and I want to break 80 one day. If this set is forces me to hit it sweet 80% of the time, then all the better. I get to become a better ball striker.
6) It is damn cheap for new forged irons. My alternatives for forged sets are from Mizuno or custom from BFG. Both will cost at least 3 times of what I paid.

IMHO, I think this forged cavity set is no less forgiving than the TM Burners 09. Was at the famed Hole 13 @ Marina on Sunday. With my 9I, I hit the ball thin (topped). Still flew straight but because ball flight is lower, it flew past the green and into the water.

My average golf score is around 100. If I can hit it, I don't see why better golfers can't. At +++ new, I was prepared to buy and try. If I don't like it, I think I can sell it off at +++. Luckily for me, I liked it.

Last edited by monsterlonester on Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
botak
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
botak

PostSubject: Re: NIKE VR HALF-CAVITY FORGED IRONS REVIEW   NIKE VR HALF-CAVITY FORGED IRONS REVIEW I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 1:49 pm

monsterlonester wrote:
The head just looked huge. It is supposed to give more confidence but it led to me having less confidence as I always thought that i will create a huge divot before I get to to hitting the ball

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that wider sole does the opposite i.e. does not dig in to the ground as much as a thinner sole?
Back to top Go down
monsterlonester
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: NIKE VR HALF-CAVITY FORGED IRONS REVIEW   NIKE VR HALF-CAVITY FORGED IRONS REVIEW I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 3:03 pm

botak wrote:
monsterlonester wrote:
The head just looked huge. It is supposed to give more confidence but it led to me having less confidence as I always thought that i will create a huge divot before I get to to hitting the ball

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that wider sole does the opposite i.e. does not dig in to the ground as much as a thinner sole?

Yeah. That is the official explaination. But didn't feel so for me. Don't know why. I feel that a thinner sole worked better for me. Perhaps the thinner sole didn't allow me to feel the resistance of the ground. I felt the ground more with thick soles and that might disrupt my tempo when I try to add in more power to overcome the resistance.

In short, I don't know. Just a matter of my own personal feel and perception.
Back to top Go down
ughly
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
ughly

PostSubject: Re: NIKE VR HALF-CAVITY FORGED IRONS REVIEW   NIKE VR HALF-CAVITY FORGED IRONS REVIEW I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 3:26 pm

Hi MonsterLonester, just to confirm, you are talking about the nike spilt cavity right? Are you serious that it is only slightly less forgiving then the burner irons, but with a better feel? Whao! I was initially considering this set too!

Zi An
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: NIKE VR HALF-CAVITY FORGED IRONS REVIEW   NIKE VR HALF-CAVITY FORGED IRONS REVIEW I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 3:26 pm

thanks for a very detailed review bro, i think i will walk over to lukewa maybe later or tomorrow.... but still i will need to indent, dun think they have LH set off the shelve...

i am always in awe with forged n those that looks as close to blade type of iron... i believe this is as close as i can get, considering the ease of handling it... Smile

thanks
Back to top Go down
monsterlonester
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: NIKE VR HALF-CAVITY FORGED IRONS REVIEW   NIKE VR HALF-CAVITY FORGED IRONS REVIEW I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 3:55 pm

Let me explain my club finding process.
  • I originally wanted to change clubs from my old maruman set. I did my online research and saw the TM Burner 09. My 10hcap friend who just bought the VR blades actually asked me to check out the half-cavity. I thought I was not ready for it. I prefer to go for GI to play safe.
  • Was shopping around Far East and TM had a discount. Bought my Burner 09 in August. Not too bad but felt that the shafts were too soft for me. Balls flying everywhere. Blame it on impulse buying.
  • Went to BFG to do some tests. Confirmed that shaft too soft for me. Reshafting all will cost more than $500.
  • Loaned out Ikasu Forged 5I cavity back. Now i know how premium forged clubs feel like.
  • Played with my friend's blades in the range. I actually can hit everything up to the 6I. Felt really good too.
  • Found a buyer for my TM Burners 09 with me not making a huge loss
  • Confirm die die must by forged. Researched on all forged irons, cavity back. Narrowed down to Mizuno, Ikasu and Nike VR.
  • Went to Far East to ask about Nike split cavity. Price is crazy. Bought it.
  • LOVE IT!

I just want to let other forummers know that the split cavity is not so scary for me, the 24 hcap.
One man's meat is another man's poison. So I suggest the more affluent golfer to really buy and try it. For around +++, I get a set of brand new forged irons that I can use even when I get better. I think the price itself is worth the try. Not that expensive to "try try".

Last edited by monsterlonester on Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: NIKE VR HALF-CAVITY FORGED IRONS REVIEW   NIKE VR HALF-CAVITY FORGED IRONS REVIEW I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 3:58 pm

bro, u buy yr VR new or 2nd hand?
Back to top Go down
monsterlonester
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: NIKE VR HALF-CAVITY FORGED IRONS REVIEW   NIKE VR HALF-CAVITY FORGED IRONS REVIEW I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 4:08 pm

ughly wrote:
Hi MonsterLonester, just to confirm, you are talking about the nike spilt cavity right? Are you serious that it is only slightly less forgiving then the burner irons, but with a better feel? Whao! I was initially considering this set too!

Zi An

Yes. SPLIT-CAVITY. Not blades and not the cast iron full cavity.
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: NIKE VR HALF-CAVITY FORGED IRONS REVIEW   NIKE VR HALF-CAVITY FORGED IRONS REVIEW I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 5:06 pm

juz returned from lukewa..... Sad no LH set ... even from factory..... sad...

but lots of items there for sales... Smile must bring cash there liao (discounted only for cash sales)
Back to top Go down
rocky
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
rocky

PostSubject: Re: NIKE VR HALF-CAVITY FORGED IRONS REVIEW   NIKE VR HALF-CAVITY FORGED IRONS REVIEW I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 7:42 pm

Read some reviews about this iron and the general comments are that the Split Cavity is the best of the 3 clubs (VR blade, full cavity). There's something not quite right about the blades although I feel that they are sweeet. (Even Tiger, himself, has swapped them out)

IMHO forged clubs pwn cast irons anytime. For an equivalent Mizzys, it would be $1200 even on sale. So kudos to monsterlonester. It's a great choice and superb value for money.

One more thing, get them fitted for lie angle and grip size ~
Back to top Go down
Airwave
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Airwave

PostSubject: Re: NIKE VR HALF-CAVITY FORGED IRONS REVIEW   NIKE VR HALF-CAVITY FORGED IRONS REVIEW I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 8:35 pm

Well I try nike before especially the CCI forged, they felt so cast. The current nike blade should be better I hope.
Back to top Go down
mengteck71
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mengteck71

PostSubject: Re: NIKE VR HALF-CAVITY FORGED IRONS REVIEW   NIKE VR HALF-CAVITY FORGED IRONS REVIEW I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 10:21 pm

monster..

i hate u.. just when i decided to keep my AP2.. u have to tickle me again.. does Entreprise One sell them with PX shafts? Smile
Back to top Go down
rocky
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
rocky

PostSubject: Re: NIKE VR HALF-CAVITY FORGED IRONS REVIEW   NIKE VR HALF-CAVITY FORGED IRONS REVIEW I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 11:22 pm

Airwave:

The CCI forged were trash. Please erase that memory... hahaha
Back to top Go down
monsterlonester
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: NIKE VR HALF-CAVITY FORGED IRONS REVIEW   NIKE VR HALF-CAVITY FORGED IRONS REVIEW I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 11:53 pm

jaketang wrote:
bro, u buy yr VR new or 2nd hand?

Brand new for +++ from Greenfield at Far East but limited shaft selection. Enterprise One selling for +++ with more shaft selection.

Last edited by monsterlonester on Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
monsterlonester
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: NIKE VR HALF-CAVITY FORGED IRONS REVIEW   NIKE VR HALF-CAVITY FORGED IRONS REVIEW I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 11:55 pm

mengteck71 wrote:
monster..

i hate u.. just when i decided to keep my AP2.. u have to tickle me again.. does Entreprise One sell them with PX shafts? Smile

Haha. I only trying to share something good with the bros here. I think they only have True Temper Dynamic Gold and NSPRO for steel. Dunno about graphite
Back to top Go down
mengteck71
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mengteck71

PostSubject: Re: NIKE VR HALF-CAVITY FORGED IRONS REVIEW   NIKE VR HALF-CAVITY FORGED IRONS REVIEW I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 10:38 am

where is Entreprise One?
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: NIKE VR HALF-CAVITY FORGED IRONS REVIEW   NIKE VR HALF-CAVITY FORGED IRONS REVIEW I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 10:43 am

mengteck71 wrote:
where is Entreprise One?

Kaki Bukit.
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: NIKE VR HALF-CAVITY FORGED IRONS REVIEW   NIKE VR HALF-CAVITY FORGED IRONS REVIEW I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 11:18 am

Technospaz wrote:
mengteck71 wrote:
where is Entreprise One?

Kaki Bukit.

wah cool....detailed...

yup, dun forget all the discount applicable to CASH sales.....
Back to top Go down
mengteck71
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mengteck71

PostSubject: Re: NIKE VR HALF-CAVITY FORGED IRONS REVIEW   NIKE VR HALF-CAVITY FORGED IRONS REVIEW I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 12:20 pm

NETS? or pure cash?
Back to top Go down
jurongtiger
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jurongtiger

PostSubject: Re: NIKE VR HALF-CAVITY FORGED IRONS REVIEW   NIKE VR HALF-CAVITY FORGED IRONS REVIEW I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 1:41 pm

I second this post! I am a new user of the Splits and I am loving it!
Back to top Go down
jurongtiger
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jurongtiger

PostSubject: Re: NIKE VR HALF-CAVITY FORGED IRONS REVIEW   NIKE VR HALF-CAVITY FORGED IRONS REVIEW I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 1:43 pm

mengteck71 wrote:
NETS? or pure cash?

Told you liao bro. Splits dun come in PX. No need to wait liao. Just grab from Lukewa and have it reshadted to your KBS. hehe.

FYI I bought it not from lukewa but at 700+ so this ones a definite good deal. Buy and play play la!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NIKE VR HALF-CAVITY FORGED IRONS REVIEW   NIKE VR HALF-CAVITY FORGED IRONS REVIEW I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

NIKE VR HALF-CAVITY FORGED IRONS REVIEW
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next