Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

RENAULT RACE-FIXING SCANDAL - 2-year suspended ban

Go down 
+3
Technospaz
Duval_S
Khorkar
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

RENAULT RACE-FIXING SCANDAL - 2-year suspended ban Empty
PostSubject: RENAULT RACE-FIXING SCANDAL - 2-year suspended ban   RENAULT RACE-FIXING SCANDAL - 2-year suspended ban I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 10:11 pm

Renault gets 2yrs suspended ban, does this mean Alonso has no team to race with?

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Sport/Story/STIStory_432551.html
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: RENAULT RACE-FIXING SCANDAL - 2-year suspended ban   RENAULT RACE-FIXING SCANDAL - 2-year suspended ban I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 10:16 pm

aiyah....the ultimate litmus test is whether F1 can find another replacement....if not...I have this suspicion that there will be another pow-wow meeting...and then...enforce point penalty and find...then all well liao....money talks..
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: RENAULT RACE-FIXING SCANDAL - 2-year suspended ban   RENAULT RACE-FIXING SCANDAL - 2-year suspended ban I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 10:20 pm

Personally, I am not a fan of renault but getting a 2 yr ban is a bit too heavy. They could fine Renault but 2 yrs is as good as striking them off the list.

Plus this Nelson Piquet Jr gets a free pass. He should at least be suspended for 1yr for collaborating and not reporting this matter.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: RENAULT RACE-FIXING SCANDAL - 2-year suspended ban   RENAULT RACE-FIXING SCANDAL - 2-year suspended ban I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 7:19 am

I'm not sure if there's an avenue for appeal. Regardless, I think Renault deserves the punishment. It's not just about what they did to win that particular race but the damage they have caused to the sport altogether.
Back to top Go down
mervyntan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mervyntan

PostSubject: Re: RENAULT RACE-FIXING SCANDAL - 2-year suspended ban   RENAULT RACE-FIXING SCANDAL - 2-year suspended ban I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 11:11 am

about the issue whether there will be a replacement team, they have actually got BMW-sauber on standby to be the 14th team.. in addition to next year's new addition of lotus f1..

i'm actually quite excited about the inclusion of lotus f1, as i'm quite a huge fan of lotus.. only thing is that it will make their "bosses" proud and cocky, which would be quite a pain... furthermore, they plan to hire a local driver... and that will be interesting..

renault were just stupid to have done what they did at singapore GP, as it was not a fight for points nor championship for them. perhaps alonso was miffed at the screw up that happened during qualifying, and threatened to quit the team if nothing was done to make him win, which made flavio do what he did.

but to be fair, the whole race smelled of match-fixing the way the whole thing unveiled. alonso goes for pit-stop, piquet crashes 2 laps later, alonso takes lead and wins convincingly.
abit fishy IMHO.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: RENAULT RACE-FIXING SCANDAL - 2-year suspended ban   RENAULT RACE-FIXING SCANDAL - 2-year suspended ban I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 11:58 am

mervyntan wrote:
but to be fair, the whole race smelled of match-fixing the way the whole thing unveiled. alonso goes for pit-stop, piquet crashes 2 laps later, alonso takes lead and wins convincingly.
abit fishy IMHO.

... and it took them a year to figure this out? I wonder who really blew the whistle?
Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

PostSubject: Re: RENAULT RACE-FIXING SCANDAL - 2-year suspended ban   RENAULT RACE-FIXING SCANDAL - 2-year suspended ban I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 12:03 pm

I think nobody will know about it if Nelson Piquet wasnt given the sack.

It was him who blew the wistle.

Those going to F1 must now learn, : 'renault kelong! renault kelong!! FIA kayu!!! FIA kayu!!!'
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: RENAULT RACE-FIXING SCANDAL - 2-year suspended ban   RENAULT RACE-FIXING SCANDAL - 2-year suspended ban I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 12:10 pm

Too much politics and scandals in 1 sport. I think I will stick to watching MotoGP.
Back to top Go down
mervyntan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mervyntan

PostSubject: Re: RENAULT RACE-FIXING SCANDAL - 2-year suspended ban   RENAULT RACE-FIXING SCANDAL - 2-year suspended ban I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 12:12 pm

Technospaz wrote:
mervyntan wrote:
abit fishy IMHO.

... and it took them a year to figure this out? I wonder who really blew the whistle?

piquet jr was the one who blew the whistle, but piquet sr (his dad, also ex f1 champ) actually blew the whistle on it around last yr's race. but he was shook off somehow by some of the higher-ups in FIA.

well, i guess in the end, piquet's sacking as well as the push factor from his dad led to the whistle blowing..
Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

PostSubject: Re: RENAULT RACE-FIXING SCANDAL - 2-year suspended ban   RENAULT RACE-FIXING SCANDAL - 2-year suspended ban I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 12:13 pm

S70B wrote:
Too much politics and scandals in 1 sport. I think I will stick to watching MotoGP.

Totally agreed. Wont be surprised if TVB use this as their new soap drama serial setting.
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: RENAULT RACE-FIXING SCANDAL - 2-year suspended ban   RENAULT RACE-FIXING SCANDAL - 2-year suspended ban I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 12:50 pm

suspended ban only...as good as a slap on the wrist. They cannot afford to lose Renault
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: RENAULT RACE-FIXING SCANDAL - 2-year suspended ban   RENAULT RACE-FIXING SCANDAL - 2-year suspended ban I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 2:34 pm

mervyntan wrote:
Technospaz wrote:
mervyntan wrote:
abit fishy IMHO.

piquet jr was the one who blew the whistle, but piquet sr (his dad, also ex f1 champ) actually blew the whistle on it around last yr's race. but he was shook off somehow by some of the higher-ups in FIA.

well, i guess in the end, piquet's sacking as well as the push factor from his dad led to the whistle blowing..

Yeah, I don't think it was Piquet Jr who first blew the whistle. From what I've read as well, it was his whistle which received the most attention but I'm guessing that others would have done so earlier but it may have been dismissed or hushed up.

In any case, I think F1 has lost its glitter. I'm sticking to snooker and bowling these days.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RENAULT RACE-FIXING SCANDAL - 2-year suspended ban   RENAULT RACE-FIXING SCANDAL - 2-year suspended ban I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

RENAULT RACE-FIXING SCANDAL - 2-year suspended ban
Page 1 of 1