Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Breaking 90

Go down 
+14
dmateo
duffader
mengteck71
billi
slinger
bkll
botak
klt8144
TDO
jimmychoo
Duval_S
pushslice
eiji
buweeza
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
buweeza
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Breaking 90 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breaking 90   Breaking 90 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2011 12:03 pm

I do accelerate through the down but previously I had an issue with stance thats why kept scuttering the ball past the green. Recently changed my stance and ball position.. better contact now.. not topping my chips as often.

I use only wedge for chipping at the moment although sometimes use the hybrid (flat base just use like putter no need worry about chomping or topping). When playing bet I will use putter for fringe. If play with family, I will use wedge as practice.

skybobo wrote:
Bro, if u can keep ur driver on fairway and with decent iron shots, I can say u have no prob in breaking 90. U just need to focus on those 100m and below shots.

The key to wedge shots is commit and accelerate, do not decelerate, else u are likely to top. Use diff loft to control distance. For me, a 60 degree for 55m, 52 degree for 75m etc.

For chipping, do not use use hands, u need a bit of rotation too. Use just 1 club for chipping. Once u are proficient, then learn to play with loft

As for fringe shot, putt it. There is no need to chip. Throw ur ego away.

For putting, improve ur lag putting first. Learn to putt near.
For shot putts with break, give much more break allowance, for short slight break, putt firm. U have to experiment urself.

Last but not least, take this with a pinch of salt from a high hcp. All the best
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

PostSubject: Re: Breaking 90   Breaking 90 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2011 12:42 pm

The long game is to help keep you out of trouble.
The short game is for scoring.

You need a good wedge game to score.
GIRs are of course good, but even the strong single h'cappers don't GIR every hole. But around the greens, it's wedge/chip for birdie or par...

Ya.. also take with a pinch of salt from a social weekend golfer.
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: Breaking 90   Breaking 90 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2011 1:02 pm

buweeza wrote:

Thanks for the tips Bro. For strength control, I understand that this means practice practice practice to get muscle memory and stroke consistency? There are various putting drills online (e.g. putt 10 balls, each 1 slightly further than the prior, all within 10ft)

duffader wrote:
Go look for Justin han if u want short game. Keeping the club face open or close after the shot makes a lot of difference. There are a few strong single hcp players inside here but they will never admit. Short game needs a lot d practise and also how u read your games. And for putting, go for strength control first instead of thinking of holing the putts. By strength control, it doesn't mean slowing ur putting stroke.

Not really muscle memory. Ability to adapt to greens is a key. For me, I need to hit the practise green to get a feel of the speed. U dun need a hole to practise putting, just putt one ball to the other.
Back to top Go down
and68low
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
and68low

PostSubject: Re: Breaking 90   Breaking 90 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2011 1:08 pm

[quote="duffader"]Go look for Justin han if u want short game. Keeping the club face open or close after the shot makes a lot of difference. There are a few strong single hcp players inside here but they will never admit. Short game needs a lot d practise and also how u read your games. And for putting, go for strength control first instead of thinking of holing the putts. By strength control, it doesn't mean slowing ur putting stroke.[/quote

KNS ... talking about yourself har... affraid
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: Breaking 90   Breaking 90 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2011 2:25 pm

[quote="and68low"]
duffader wrote:
Go look for Justin han if u want short game. Keeping the club face open or close after the shot makes a lot of difference. There are a few strong single hcp players inside here but they will never admit. Short game needs a lot d practise and also how u read your games. And for putting, go for strength control first instead of thinking of holing the putts. By strength control, it doesn't mean slowing ur putting stroke.[/quote

KNS ... talking about yourself har... affraid

Eh..... U lah. Me now a 12.8.
Back to top Go down
buweeza
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Breaking 90   Breaking 90 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2011 12:08 pm

Update: Played on Sat morning, Palm course (Blue Tee)

Score 91:
Penalties: +2 (2 times into the water hazard)
Putts: 40 (not good)
GIR: 5/18 holes
Pars: 3

Going to focus on putting this week. Chipping improved thoug Smile
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Breaking 90   Breaking 90 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2011 12:52 pm

buweeza wrote:

Score 91:

without the penalties, u would have broken 90.....

if u can work towards 36 putts/round..... u can easily play low-mid 80s

well done.....
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Breaking 90   Breaking 90 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2011 12:55 pm

congratulations....I too hope I can break 90
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: Breaking 90   Breaking 90 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2011 1:15 pm

Duval_S wrote:
congratulations....I too hope I can break 90

Next time you play... bet on stroke play instead of match play.. guarantee you improve fast or you disappear fast. Smile
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: Breaking 90   Breaking 90 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2011 3:58 pm

buweeza wrote:

Score 91:

Very well done buweeza.

Esp since GIR is only 5/18. Definitely shows chipping is performing well. Good plan on working on putting. Easy low hanging fruits for reducing strokes, judging from your stats. Improving GIR is another area to look into after that.

Congrats. 90 is just a number from now on. Breaking it is a given.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Breaking 90   Breaking 90 - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Breaking 90
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2