Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Swing Tempo vs Swing Speed

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ljlow
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Swing Tempo vs Swing Speed Empty
PostSubject: Swing Tempo vs Swing Speed   Swing Tempo vs Swing Speed I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2011 10:42 am

A good article found on web... Very Happy
==============
Are you told by your golf buddies that you swing too fast?

Do you think Ernie Els' is nice and slow and rhythmic?

The chances are that Ernie's smooth swing is WAY faster than yours. It's not the speed, but the tempo, that separate you from Ernie, because Golf Swing Speed and Golf Swing Tempo are fundamentally different. Quite often, the average golfer may seem to appear extremely fast, because they don't have the correct tempo. They usually have a very deliberate take away and back swing, where they are trying to 'Place' the club head in the correct position. There may even be a deliberate pause at the top. This is then followed by a rush, down towards the ball, trying to gain the momentum that was lost during the previous phase. The chances are that all of the PGA tour players swing faster than you. What separates them, from us, is that they do it with a tempo that is fluid not disjointed. They also swing to an exact tempo ratio.

I've read many articles, allegedly about Golf Swing Tempo, that start to talk about components of the swing. Club plane, take away, ball position, alignment. These are fundamentals and separate parts of the swing. These are the individual parts that you learn, which when combined, give you a complete golf swing.

Golf swing tempo, is the glue that holds all of these constituent parts together. In fact, the more you practice, with the correct swing tempo, the more stable all of those separate, fundamental, components become.

So what is Swing Speed? Well it's simply the amount of time you take to get from the start of your takeaway to the point of impact. But let's say for simplicity sake, that for you, this takes 4 seconds. (And it better not! Otherwise you and I won't be playing together anytime soon!) If you take 2 seconds getting to the top of your back swing and then 2 seconds getting the club head to the ball, you really are not going to generate any club head speed.

So what is Swing Tempo? Let's take the same 4 second swing OK? This time you take 3 Seconds getting to the top, but 1 second on the way down, and what do you have? Well you have a very slow swing, but you have PERFECT Golf Swing Tempo.....Why?

Because all PRO's swing at this exact tempo ratio. 3 To 1. So you can swing as fast as you like..Really! As long as you do it using the 3 to 1 ratio. Now all you have to do is achieve this tempo using one of the many training aids available. Most of which are audio cue devices. When you do what you will find (As I did), is that you will swing faster than you ever have, but with a tempo and a consistency, that is going to stay solid throughout your next round of golf. Also, when you use one of these aids, your mind tends to focus on waiting for an audio cue, which eliminates those mind games you tend to start playing when you are addressing the ball. You know, the ones that get you all tensed up and anxious, the ones that took away any chance you ever had of a good smooth tempo.

Your golf buddies will probably make comments like, "Wow, Your swing is so much smoother". They won't notice 'Faster'.

Because as I said...Golf Swing Speed and Golf Swing Tempo are two different things.
Whether you share this secret with them...Is up to you!
Back to top Go down
efoong
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
efoong

PostSubject: Re: Swing Tempo vs Swing Speed   Swing Tempo vs Swing Speed I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2011 11:10 am

Bro can let me know where u found this article??can post the link here I might need it for my project
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: Swing Tempo vs Swing Speed   Swing Tempo vs Swing Speed I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2011 11:14 am

This is an interesting article and concept, thanks for sharing, bro ljlow.

I put Rickie and Ernie together and compared their tempo.

Then I tried to find the 3 to 1 ratio for both of them.

It turned out to be tricky. The point is, where do you define the start of the downswing?

If it's the point where the club starts to come down, then the ratio is not 3 to 1.

If it's the point where the transition start to happen, in Rickie's case, he moves his left leg first, then Rickie has an almost perfect 3:1.

Not so Ernie, whose transition is so smooth and so blurred, and the start of his weight shift sooo gradual, there actual start of the weight shift is hard to pinpoint, so the ratio of 3:1 cannot be strongly established.

But map their two swings together, adjust the time-speed, and the two swings look uncannily similar.

One final minor point, but a pet peeve of mine, speed cannot be measured in seconds. That measures time. So to say the swing speed is 4 seconds is meaningless. [So what is Swing Speed? Well it's simply the amount of time you take to get from the start of your takeaway to the point of impact.] That states the elapsed time of the swing, not the swing speed. This type of mistakes tend to suggest to me that golf journalist did not take physics in school or they fell asleep in class. Within 4 seconds of the class starting...
Back to top Go down
ljlow
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Swing Tempo vs Swing Speed   Swing Tempo vs Swing Speed I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2011 11:16 am

http://www.articlecity.com/articles/recreation_and_sports/article_3337.shtml

btw, kaypo a bit...what's the project related?
will it help my golf?
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: Swing Tempo vs Swing Speed   Swing Tempo vs Swing Speed I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2011 1:04 pm

Bros,

Look at how smooth, how gentle Ernie's transition is at the top of his backswing.

Try it.

Get it right, and you'll be amazed.

First, swing like normal. Feel the pull of the club and the sound of the whoosh. Check the finish.

Then try this.

Do everything the same, except at the top, pretend you're trying to avoid waking up a sleeping baby. Slooow and smooooth.... And then let momentum and gravity take over... and give it all you've got and whoosh!

After the whoosh, the finish will feel gentle and soft again, just like the transition. And balance will be excellent.

And if you compare carefully, the whoosh will have a higher pitched sound than the first. Because you are more stable now, you can impart more energy to the impact without losing your balance or lines...

Have fun.
Back to top Go down
kwannick
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
kwannick

PostSubject: Re: Swing Tempo vs Swing Speed   Swing Tempo vs Swing Speed I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2011 3:26 pm

Good share. Thanks bros!
Back to top Go down
efoong
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
efoong

PostSubject: Re: Swing Tempo vs Swing Speed   Swing Tempo vs Swing Speed I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2011 4:10 pm

ljlow wrote:
http://www.articlecity.com/articles/recreation_and_sports/article_3337.shtml

btw, kaypo a bit...what's the project related?
will it help my golf?

thanks bro...i doing my final year project about golf fitting...although i know nth but is just my project...hopefully can found out a new parameter in golf fitting...i thinking of doing this tempo thing...so thanks for the help...if really can be done with all GRians help i will share with you all thanks...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Swing Tempo vs Swing Speed   Swing Tempo vs Swing Speed I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Swing Tempo vs Swing Speed
Page 1 of 1