Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How to train swing tempo?

Go down 
+15
sunny
daveaha
eiji
Airwave
Duval_S
nanohenry
Right_sided_coach
Winston
redbull
watermyforrest
Dstruc
Roystonnn
jaketang
Lamts18
who8168
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
who8168
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
who8168

How to train swing tempo? Empty
PostSubject: How to train swing tempo?   How to train swing tempo? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2009 12:23 am

I have an inherent problem with swing tempo, since the day i start to take golf seriously 4 yrs ago. I am too quick in the backswing, resulting in a momentum that pulls me a little taller, and the club shooting past parallel. The next problem is I don't 'pause' at the top, and the overly quick transition causes bad balance, difficulty in timing the club face square to the ball, usually misses with a hook.

I have consciously been trying to slow down the backswing, and things are improving a little. However, sometimes old muscle memory creeps in & the problem surfaces.

Anyone has got an ingenious or more effective way to ingrain a better tempo (read slower) of the swing?
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: How to train swing tempo?   How to train swing tempo? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2009 12:25 am

There is a device called Swing tempo ... emulating the swing tempos of the top PGA players. its pocket sized with a earpiece ....
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to train swing tempo?   How to train swing tempo? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2009 12:27 am

alternatively, do sign out the ultimate golf Garu... TSS...

but not sue if they are taking in anymore...
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: How to train swing tempo?   How to train swing tempo? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2009 12:31 am

have you tried seeing a golf pro to help you with some drills ? there is a thread with the golf pros listed ...
Back to top Go down
who8168
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
who8168

PostSubject: Re: How to train swing tempo?   How to train swing tempo? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2009 12:32 am

Thank you Mr Lam,

I am currently using an iphone app call My Golf Swing, with tempos of top professionals for us to emulate, or i can customize my own tempo. It is quite effective, but can only use on the range, not during actual rounds.

I am a little more 'greedy' or should i say - impatient, thus am hoping for a more effective way to train.
Back to top Go down
who8168
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
who8168

PostSubject: Re: How to train swing tempo?   How to train swing tempo? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2009 12:34 am

Lamts18 wrote:
have you tried seeing a golf pro to help you with some drills ? there is a thread with the golf pros listed ...

Yes, i am back to my coach for a second package of advance training in 2 years. But no drills for tempo training yet.
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: How to train swing tempo?   How to train swing tempo? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2009 12:36 am

Pls don't mention.... i think its quite similar to swing tempo.. hope you dont mind me being a kapoh... Smile i believe a seeing a golf professional will solve a lot of shooting in the dark... cheers ... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Roystonnn
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to train swing tempo?   How to train swing tempo? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2009 1:21 am

I think there's a kinda music cd (for golf) that gives you the music of a certain swing tempo. keke.

Duno wat music is that though..
Back to top Go down
Dstruc
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Dstruc

PostSubject: Re: How to train swing tempo?   How to train swing tempo? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2009 1:33 am

i think its hip hop...
*YO YO YO!! Yo your shoulders.....*
Back to top Go down
Roystonnn
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to train swing tempo?   How to train swing tempo? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2009 1:36 am

Hip hop caused too fast swing tempo..
Those bedroom music would be better.. Very Happy
Then you can swing with a nice and slow tempo and sexily.,. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
watermyforrest

PostSubject: Re: How to train swing tempo?   How to train swing tempo? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2009 6:54 am

Found this, can download to your HP and bring to range:
http://www.thecourthouse.id.au/Misc/TourTempo.html
Back to top Go down
redbull
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
redbull

PostSubject: Re: How to train swing tempo?   How to train swing tempo? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2009 7:23 am

who8168 wrote:
I have an inherent problem with swing tempo, since the day i start to take golf seriously 4 yrs ago. I am too quick in the backswing, resulting in a momentum that pulls me a little taller, and the club shooting past parallel. The next problem is I don't 'pause' at the top, and the overly quick transition causes bad balance, difficulty in timing the club face square to the ball, usually misses with a hook.

I have consciously been trying to slow down the backswing, and things are improving a little. However, sometimes old muscle memory creeps in & the problem surfaces.

Anyone has got an ingenious or more effective way to ingrain a better tempo (read slower) of the swing?

Char---Kuay---Teow What a Face
Back to top Go down
Roystonnn
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to train swing tempo?   How to train swing tempo? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2009 10:35 am

watermyforrest wrote:
Found this, can download to your HP and bring to range:
http://www.thecourthouse.id.au/Misc/TourTempo.html

Huh.. use piano also can ah.. keke.
I always tot it's a kinda real music..

nvm.. still can try to see if it works.. tang tang tang! tang tang tang!
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

PostSubject: Re: How to train swing tempo?   How to train swing tempo? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2009 12:03 pm

I use a simple count system. 1,2,3, 1,2,3 Same like the beat of music or dancing. Clear the mind, start the count. I find listening to music very distracting. But then I guess that to each his own.

1. the take away
2. top of the back swing
3. start of the down swing.
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

PostSubject: Re: How to train swing tempo?   How to train swing tempo? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2009 12:13 pm

who8168 wrote:

I do not think the tempo is the problem. Look at Nick Price, very fast tempo. If you are getting pulled up "taller" it is a turning issue not a tempo issue. Also you mention swinging past parallel which also is a sign of the incorrect turn. Trying to "pause" at the top and "slow down the backswing" are not going to fix the problem. Fix the turn (lower body) and you can swing as fast as you want.
Back to top Go down
nanohenry
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to train swing tempo?   How to train swing tempo? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 10:13 pm

Sorry, what is tempo in golf? My last coach never mentioned anything about swing tempo.
I went to driving range yesterday. I slice a lot. One of the Prof shop salesman seen it, suggest me to count using "up" "down" during my swing with a new forged Nike club. My slice did reduce and there were more consistent straight shot. He said I had the tempo issue and using this simple method and a better iron, it could help. He was a nice and gentle salesman but I did not made up my mind to buy a new set.

Any one here can explain?
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to train swing tempo?   How to train swing tempo? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 10:27 pm

This is something I read about the real David Duval....he hum 'Edelweiss' where

#1 EeeeeeeDeel.... = upswing

#2 Weissssssss = Downswing

I am doing the same...but just don ask me my std
Back to top Go down
Airwave
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Airwave

PostSubject: Re: How to train swing tempo?   How to train swing tempo? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 10:42 pm

Instead I will use NIN NAH BEY. It is through frustration I am able to swing it faster.
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: How to train swing tempo?   How to train swing tempo? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 11:34 pm

what i learn is to not go 100% on my swings as i am still trying to build a consistent swing. I read somewhere to try 60% of my max speed, slowly increment to 100%, find the speed/tempo which offers me the maximum control. Really helped with reducing slices and i still get just about the same distance. I went from 60% and right now have started slowly increasing my swing speed when i feel like i am able to produce consisten straight shots.
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
daveaha
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
daveaha

PostSubject: Re: How to train swing tempo?   How to train swing tempo? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 11:49 pm

Probably if you count normally like one... two... (end of upswing)... three (start your downswing)....
Back to top Go down
http://www.nufc.sg
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

PostSubject: Re: How to train swing tempo?   How to train swing tempo? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 11:54 pm

got a more scientifc way of doing it beside humming and counting. Go time your upswing and downswing and find the ratio. You need a high speed camera
Back to top Go down
Http://thescarletibis.wordpress.com
who8168
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
who8168

PostSubject: Re: How to train swing tempo?   How to train swing tempo? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 12:26 am

Wow lau.... high speed slo mo camera again No
Back to top Go down
TObe
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
TObe

PostSubject: Re: How to train swing tempo?   How to train swing tempo? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 9:24 am

nanohenry wrote:
Sorry, what is tempo in golf? My last coach never mentioned anything about swing tempo.
I went to driving range yesterday. I slice a lot. One of the Prof shop salesman seen it, suggest me to count using "up" "down" during my swing with a new forged Nike club. My slice did reduce and there were more consistent straight shot. He said I had the tempo issue and using this simple method and a better iron, it could help. He was a nice and gentle salesman but I did not made up my mind to buy a new set.

Any one here can explain?

I believe that it refers to your swing momentum/rhythm/timing. The perfect tempo would lead to more accuracy and better contact as you are better able to get 'pure' contact and a controlled swing path.

Just my 0.2cents worth since I'm not very experienced.

Will the "old birds" in GR kindly pls correct me/explain? Question

Thx!
Back to top Go down
ironfist
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
ironfist

PostSubject: Re: How to train swing tempo?   How to train swing tempo? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 9:31 am

ehhh i reckon tempo merely trains your consistency. given that your other fundamentals are sound. i.e set up, spine angles blah blah.. there's no such thing as a right or wrong tempo, because everyone is different. however they do advocate a slower tempo as less things can go wrong with a slower tempo.

unless you're this guy;

Back to top Go down
shotah
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
shotah

PostSubject: Re: How to train swing tempo?   How to train swing tempo? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 9:33 am

I look at it as not training but finding the right tempo. Everyone of us will have different tempo so it may not be good if you were to follow the tempo of others. Iphone owners will have the luxury of downloading an application on this swing tempo, and for non Iphone owners, you can actually get a swing tempo device. Its a small green box with headphones so you can actually have aguide of what it should be. For me, its my breathing that controls the tempo.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to train swing tempo?   How to train swing tempo? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to train swing tempo?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next