Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Golf Muscles and How to Train them

Go down 
+10
jaketang
sunny
SC
mervyntan
SIMBA
Lamts18
S70B
icebocc
Technospaz
rocky
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
rocky
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
rocky

Golf Muscles and How to Train them Empty
PostSubject: Golf Muscles and How to Train them   Golf Muscles and How to Train them I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2009 4:41 pm

What are the specific muscles in the golf swing? How do we train them to attain long distance and maintain consistency?

MC: This is a thread for you too. For your advice. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Golf Muscles and How to Train them   Golf Muscles and How to Train them I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2009 4:52 pm

rocky wrote:
What are the specific muscles in the golf swing? How do we train them to attain long distance and maintain consistency?

I'd also like to hear how G_Man does it.
Back to top Go down
icebocc
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
icebocc

PostSubject: Re: Golf Muscles and How to Train them   Golf Muscles and How to Train them I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2009 5:48 pm

rocky wrote:

Watch the health tips from the Golf Channel, there is one that involves a TheraBand from a Sports Scientist from LG Sports Science (Cannot never remember his name). He explains the muscle groups and which one to strengthen for a golf swing.

Due to our work schedule where we typically do not have time for gym, I have actually bought these light equipment and have been working on those specific muscles for 15mins a day. I can already see my golf swing getting stronger after a week without overpowering the swing (overpowering are typically associated with biceps and chest muscles)

Try it and let us know.

~ icebocc ~
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Golf Muscles and How to Train them   Golf Muscles and How to Train them I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2009 5:53 pm

Eh icebocc, you told me that JL still outdrove you leh ROFL

I bought those elastic bands to strengthen my wrists following my physiotherapists' advice. They are a great way to train those forearms and lessen 'golf and tennis elbow' syndrome too.

You can tell the diff between a tour pro and an amateur: Most pros have huge forearms. They have it and also need it cos they require all the wrist strength to hit out of heavy rough.

PS: pm received. Your baby will go out next week. Wink
Back to top Go down
icebocc
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
icebocc

PostSubject: Re: Golf Muscles and How to Train them   Golf Muscles and How to Train them I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2009 5:57 pm

S70B[color=red] wrote:
Eh icebocc, you told me that JL still outdrove you leh [/color]ROFL

I bought those elastic bands to strengthen my wrists following my physiotherapists' advice. They are a great way to train those forearms and lessen 'golf and tennis elbow' syndrome too.

You can tell the diff between a tour pro and an amateur: Most pros have huge forearms. They have it and also need it cos they require all the wrist strength to hit out of heavy rough.

PS: pm received. Your baby will go out next week. Wink

Just 1 hole my man! 1 hole! ROFL

Thanks bro, let me know how I can TT the money to you; cannot bloody decide on what to do for the second piece

~ icebocc ~
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: Golf Muscles and How to Train them   Golf Muscles and How to Train them I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2009 6:04 pm

Put it up for auction... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
SIMBA
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf Muscles and How to Train them   Golf Muscles and How to Train them I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2009 7:15 pm

ICEBOGG we brother right give it to me la i help u putt putt putt ROFL
Back to top Go down
mervyntan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mervyntan

PostSubject: Re: Golf Muscles and How to Train them   Golf Muscles and How to Train them I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2009 7:16 pm

LS we also brother brother he give u then u give me your zen i also can help u putt putt putt... and tan jiak...
Back to top Go down
SIMBA
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf Muscles and How to Train them   Golf Muscles and How to Train them I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2009 7:23 pm

can can no problem. on liao lor like this. i swap with ur rusty putty at home ok ? i ask my fren to bring it for refurbish hahaha. Have been going to the gym to work out the muscle too man hope it really helps.
Back to top Go down
SC
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
SC

PostSubject: Re: Golf Muscles and How to Train them   Golf Muscles and How to Train them I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2009 7:26 pm

Hi icebocc, those theraband, may I know where to get one?
Back to top Go down
rocky
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
rocky

PostSubject: Re: Golf Muscles and How to Train them   Golf Muscles and How to Train them I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2009 8:30 pm

icebocc wrote:

Due to our work schedule where we typically do not have time for gym, I have actually bought these light equipment and have been working on those specific muscles for 15mins a day. I can already see my golf swing getting stronger after a week without overpowering the swing (overpowering are typically associated with biceps and chest muscles)

Try it and let us know.

~ icebocc ~

So what are the specific exercises that you go? Bicep curls? Shoulder press?
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

PostSubject: Re: Golf Muscles and How to Train them   Golf Muscles and How to Train them I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2009 10:52 pm

you can buy those resistant bands...tie it to one corner of the house and you can do all sort of stuff with it.

Eg. tie to the window at shoulder level, use left hand to pull it down. Train your tricep to increase strength.

Basically just use it to imitate any movement that golf have and it just add the resistance to train those muscles.

Golf Channel had shown quite a few exercises using resistant bands. Just watch faithfully over a couple of weeks and you will have tons of exercises to do.

Need the contact to buy pm me.
Back to top Go down
Http://thescarletibis.wordpress.com
rocky
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
rocky

PostSubject: Re: Golf Muscles and How to Train them   Golf Muscles and How to Train them I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2009 11:14 pm

What about exercises without using bands? How about simple dumbell exercises?
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

PostSubject: Re: Golf Muscles and How to Train them   Golf Muscles and How to Train them I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2009 11:32 pm

a few simple things you can try.

Wrist exercise. With palm facing down holding your dumbbells, do reverse curls.

Rotator cuffs exercises (external rotations), to prevent injuries and balance your muscles. Make your upper arm parallel to the floor and the lower arm hang vertical carrying weights, raise the weight up to the 'surrender' position towards by moving it forward and up in a semicircle and down.

Another rotator cuff exercise. Sit down and rest your elbow on your thighs. Align your lower arm across parallel to your body infront of you with palm down holding weight. Reverse it upwards.

Core muscles training. This is as the russian twist. Lie on something flat and declining like those decline sit up. Lift yourself up slightly and hold the weight with both hand infront of you. Rotate left and right.(Warning, take it easy for the first time. 20 reps is more than enough unless you want a sore tummy the next day.)

Core training. Abdominal muscles. Go down on all 4 in crawling position. With a dumbell infront, rest your arms on it. Roll it so that your chest almost touch the floor(or as much as your strength permits) and then roll yourself back. (Warning, take it easy for the first time. 20 reps is more than enough unless you want a sore tummy the next day.)

Tricep exercise. Carry a small weight with one hand and hold it vertical overhead. Bend your arms and lower the weight behind your head towards opposite shoulders. Return to original position. Do not lock your elbows at the top as that is cheating(your bone is supporting the weight and not the muscle) and it also cause undue stress to your joints.

Ok...these exercises are good for golf. Of cos I would also recommend some compound exercises to build overall strength and prevent injuries such as squats, bench press and dead lifts. But those you will need a gym. To train speed(speed is different from strength as you have seen in golf swings), you need to do olympic lifts such as snatch/clean and jerk/power clean etc.
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf Muscles and How to Train them   Golf Muscles and How to Train them I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2009 11:41 pm

can we oso use visualization to build muscle?

hehehe always looking for easier way... old man....
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

PostSubject: Re: Golf Muscles and How to Train them   Golf Muscles and How to Train them I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2009 11:49 pm

actually yes. mind muscle connections. Sportsman who injure themselves spent hours meditating. Not on the meaning of life but visualising and 'feeling' their muscle move in certain ways. That improve the mind muscle connections.
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf Muscles and How to Train them   Golf Muscles and How to Train them I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2009 12:03 am

wow...

so it seems visualization can do lots of wonders....

hmmmm maybe i shld try to perfect the art of visualization... at least it can help.... some way or another... Embarassed
Back to top Go down
nemo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
nemo

PostSubject: Re: Golf Muscles and How to Train them   Golf Muscles and How to Train them I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2009 12:12 am

sunny wrote:
a few simple things you can try.

Another rotator cuff exercise. Sit down and rest your elbow on your thighs. Align your lower arm across parallel to your body infront of you with palm down holding weight. Reverse it upwards.

Bro Sunny, sorry to point this out. The above exercise is call the wrist curl working the fore-arm muscle.

Cheers 8)
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

PostSubject: Re: Golf Muscles and How to Train them   Golf Muscles and How to Train them I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2009 12:24 am

no nemo...it is not the wrist curl. Wrist curl is the first exercise, I am asking you to do an rotator cuff exercise for exernal rotation.

You are suppose to keep a flat wrist and bring the whole arm up and not curl your wrist. The purpose is to rotate your shoulder externally.
Back to top Go down
nemo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
nemo

PostSubject: Re: Golf Muscles and How to Train them   Golf Muscles and How to Train them I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2009 12:33 am

Bro you need to demo to me when I see you next. Wink

In the meantime the below video will help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6MMD5L7498

Cheers 8)
Back to top Go down
mervyntan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mervyntan

PostSubject: Re: Golf Muscles and How to Train them   Golf Muscles and How to Train them I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2009 12:43 am

sunny wrote:
no nemo...it is not the wrist curl. Wrist curl is the first exercise, I am asking you to do an rotator cuff exercise for exernal rotation.

You are suppose to keep a flat wrist and bring the whole arm up and not curl your wrist. The purpose is to rotate your shoulder externally.
'

this is just lifting your whole arm up in front of u.. as if walking like those bandage mummies etc...
Back to top Go down
nemo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
nemo

PostSubject: Re: Golf Muscles and How to Train them   Golf Muscles and How to Train them I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2009 12:51 am

OIC.

Than the exercise is call a frontal raise (working the frontal shoulder muscle) right?

Like the video below;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5blVTDLBByk
Back to top Go down
rocky
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
rocky

PostSubject: Re: Golf Muscles and How to Train them   Golf Muscles and How to Train them I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2009 1:04 am

Thank you for the suggestions. Sounds good. I will give it a try.

Side track a little bit: Are there instructors available for golf fitness? Where to find them?
Back to top Go down
missmoon
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
missmoon

PostSubject: Re: Golf Muscles and How to Train them   Golf Muscles and How to Train them I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2009 1:06 am

Sky Fitness is the only gym i know of that have golf related program..
http://www.skyfitness.com.sg/program.html
Back to top Go down
http://www.golfrepublic.org
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

PostSubject: Re: Golf Muscles and How to Train them   Golf Muscles and How to Train them I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2009 1:07 am

wrong. That is for training anterior and medial deltoids.

That though good are normally overactive in most people cos they are doing push ups, presses etc etc.

What I am referring to is a rotator cuff exercise. This is another way to do it. Basically external rotation. But in my description is a sitting instead of the lying(but imagine the movement). If you cannot visualise, you may do the lying down version.

Rotator cuff exercises would prevent injuries to the shoulders

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Golf Muscles and How to Train them   Golf Muscles and How to Train them I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Golf Muscles and How to Train them
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next