Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Golf prolongs life

Go down 
+5
HyBriD
dmateo
slinger
agnes chung
TLHENG
9 posters
AuthorMessage
TLHENG
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
TLHENG

Golf prolongs life Empty
PostSubject: Golf prolongs life   Golf prolongs life I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2011 9:36 am

More reasons to paly alot more golf ha ha ...

Golf prolongs life [PRESS RELEASE, 30 May 2008] Golf can be a good investment for the health, according to a new study from the Swedish medical university Karolinska Institutet. The death rate for golfers is 40 per cent lower than for other people of the same sex, age and socioeconomic status, which correspond to a 5 year increase in life expectancy. Golfers with a low handicap are the safest.
It is a well-known fact that exercise is good for the health, but the expected health gains of particular activities are still largely unknown. A team of researchers from Karolinska Institutet has now presented a study of the health effects of golf – a low-intensity form of exercise in which over 600,000 Swedes engage.
The study, which is published in Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sports, is based on data from 300,000 Swedish golfers and shows that golf has beneficial health effects. The death rate amongst golfers is 40 per cent lower than the rest of the population, which equates to an increased life expectancy of five years.
Professor Anders Ahlbom, who has led the study with Bahman Farahmand is not surprised at the result, as he believes that there are several aspects of the game that are proved to be good for the health.
"A round of golf means being outside for four or five hours, walking at a fast pace for six to seven kilometres, something which is known to be good for the health," he says. "People play golf into old age, and there are also positive social and psychological aspects to the game that can be of help."
The study does not rule out that other factors than the actual playing, such as a generally healthy lifestyle, are also behind the lower death rate observed amongst golfers. However, the researchers believe it is likely that the playing of the game in itself has a significant impact on health.
Golf players have a lower death rate regardless of sex, age and social group. The effect is greater for golfers from blue-collar professions than for those from white-collar professions. The lowest rates are found in the group of players with the lowest handicap (i.e. the best golfers).
"Maintaining a low handicap involves playing a lot, so this supports the idea that it is largely the game itself that is good for the health," says Professor Ahlbom.

###
Publication: 'Golf – a game of life and death. Reduced mortality in Swedish golf players', B. Farahmand, G. Broman, U. De Faire, D. Vågerö & A. Ahlbom, Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sports, 30 May 2008.
For further information, please contact:
Professor Anders Ahlbom
Tel: +46 (0)8-524 874 70
Mobile: +46 (0)70 324 74 70
E-mail: Anders.Ahlbom@ki.se
Press Officer Katarina Sternudd
Tel: +46 (0)8-524 838 95
Mobile: +46 (0)70-224 38 95
E-mail: katarina.sternudd@ki.se
Karolinska Institutet is one of the leading medical universities in Europe. Through research, education and information, Karolinska Institutet contributes to improving human health. Each year, the Nobel Assembly at Karolinska Institutet awards the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine. For more information, visit ki.se
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[ Print | E-mail Share ] Close Window ]

Back to top Go down
agnes chung
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
agnes chung

Golf prolongs life Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf prolongs life   Golf prolongs life I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2011 9:44 am

i will agree to this as the public course i'm playing was infested by old golfers (75 t0 80++) every sunday morning.
it's nice to see they still walk take shoot's and pitches enjoying the game.
Back to top Go down
http://agneschung.blogspot.com/
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

Golf prolongs life Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf prolongs life   Golf prolongs life I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2011 9:47 am

we got buggies in spore!!!!

how to walk 6-7km....

i also want to walk but club dun allow....

btw sweden is temperate country.... good for walking

i walk from mowen shop in FESH to Taka.... i oreadi sweat liao

i hope sweden dun become like greece....

i wish to play more golf but i still need to work....
Back to top Go down
TLHENG
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
TLHENG

Golf prolongs life Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf prolongs life   Golf prolongs life I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2011 9:56 am

we got buggies in spore!!!!

how to walk 6-7km....

Park your buggy on track and walk to ball lah. not 6-7km but at least 3-4km right. Walking is part of the game. the swing you make in every shot, excercises many muscles in your body. You see people in their 80's playing golf but not in football/badminton. Maybe that's the reason.
Back to top Go down
dmateo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

Golf prolongs life Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf prolongs life   Golf prolongs life I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2011 10:10 am

you can walk on some Singapore course. I think SICC and Seletar is a few of them.
Back to top Go down
HyBriD
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
HyBriD

Golf prolongs life Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf prolongs life   Golf prolongs life I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2011 3:43 pm

Nice article....

Here is one "real life' story why we should play Golf....

January 15, 1962
A Man Who Played Golf
John D. Rockefeller's human qualities were best displayed when he was on the course

Most people think of John D. Rockefeller Sr. as the millionaire of millionaires and admire or detest him, depending on how they feel about millionaires in the first place. But no word or phrase says all there is to say about any man and sometimes a lesser word—one that bears no weight of legend—comes closer to the human qualities than the headline tag or the formal title. Rockefeller was also a golfer, and to some that is sufficient atonement for his being rich.

It wasn't until 1901, at the age of 62, that John D. took up golf seriously. One of his first difficulties in golf was learning to keep his head down when he hit the ball. This fault was corrected by posting a caddie next to him who would shout, "Keep your head down. Keep your head down!" as John D. prepared to swing.

His drives never were long—he averaged between 100 and 150 yards—but they were amazingly accurate. He had a slow and measured backswing but at times tended to falter on the follow-through, jokingly blaming the difficulty on the many sweaters he always wore. His short game, however, was excellent: he was not only a good putter but was precise from distances of 75 or 100 yards from the green.

No one knows Rockefeller's scores for 18 holes—if he ever played that many, he most certainly never broke 100—but contemporaries estimated that he could do 9 in 55. (He preferred to keep his scores secret.)

As Rockefeller became more proficient at his game, he played daily, riding from shot to shot on a bicycle. He moved from his estate in Pocantico Hills, N.Y. (near Tarrytown) to an estate in Lakewood, N.J., which he called Golf House, because it had a private course. It was more remote from the city than Pocantico, and he enjoyed not only his golf but long walks around his wooded land, seeing a few casual acquaintances and enjoying his relative seclusion.

John D.'s winters were spent at The Casements, a mansion in Ormond Beach, Fla. There he was less alone and over the years became known as Neighbor John by the local residents. He played golf daily, usually with an acquaintance or in a foursome. He always had a gallery of the faithful or curious: those who liked to watch golf and those who liked to watch multimillionaires.

Hymns before golf

His Ormond Beach daily routine differed little from his summer schedule. He breakfasted at eight, had a conference with his private secretary, put on his golf clothes (gloves, goggles, sweaters, loose coat and sport cap with ear covering) and at 10 o'clock was driven to the course. There he would meet friends and admirers, perhaps read them a verse (he often composed his own verses) or join in the singing of a hymn. If there was a minister present—the rector of the Ormond Union Church was one of his favorite golf partners—there might be a prayer or a short reading from the New Testament. With children present, he was not above playing leapfrog or piggyback. Of course, he carried nickels and dimes in his coat pockets and doled them out lavishly, as every newsreel spectator of the '20s and 30s remembers.

Amenities over, the game would commence. On the Ormond Beach course Neighbor John played only eight holes, because the eighth green was beside the road where his car waited to take him home. His partners were usually friends or acquaintances but sometimes celebrities and even news reporters. Although serious about his game, he was not a fierce competitor and was the first to congratulate a fellow player on a good shot. Many Rockefeller dimes are treasured to this day by those who played a good game against him. Even his caddies were rewarded with dime bonuses for good work, although they also were penalized a dime if they failed to find a ball. He rarely lost more than three balls a year.

Rockefeller maintained his interest in golf for three decades until, at the age of 93, he was forced by infirmity to give up the game. Five years later, in 1937, he died in Ormond Beach.

source page
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/pnchung
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

Golf prolongs life Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf prolongs life   Golf prolongs life I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2011 4:35 pm

Let's see

playing with slinger makes me to kancheong i get stressed
i canot resist the poison at the den, so i buy buy buy, go home kena scold scold scold
i see alvin drive so far, i also try, busted my lower back ("I'll be back")
don't play then hands itchy

how to live long long like that? Razz
Back to top Go down
Bangla123
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Bangla123

Golf prolongs life Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf prolongs life   Golf prolongs life I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2011 4:56 pm

Good articles, thank you
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Tituman

Golf prolongs life Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf prolongs life   Golf prolongs life I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2011 5:49 pm

Wah Bro TLHeng. Your posting in Red makes me go blur after reading....think normal thread should suffice la. Whoever clicked your thread will read the article without having to attract eyeballing leh. Just being myself hor. Don't get incited okie?? Peace.
Back to top Go down
TLHENG
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
TLHENG

Golf prolongs life Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf prolongs life   Golf prolongs life I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2011 11:19 pm

Bro tituman, so the red attracted your attention? Just a choice of color, no other intentions.

Your feedback noted.
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

Golf prolongs life Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf prolongs life   Golf prolongs life I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2011 12:39 am

He likes red Wink
Back to top Go down
yanguei
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Golf prolongs life Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf prolongs life   Golf prolongs life I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2011 1:21 am

So higher handicapper will have longer life for more walking zig-zag, go to other fairway and come back...finally something good to be a high handicapper...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Golf prolongs life Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf prolongs life   Golf prolongs life I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Golf prolongs life
Page 1 of 1