Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Across the line.. across the line.. it's always bad... or is it?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

Across the line.. across the line.. it's always bad... or is it? Empty
PostSubject: Across the line.. across the line.. it's always bad... or is it?   Across the line.. across the line.. it's always bad... or is it? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2011 11:01 am

If we read today's golf instruction books or magazine articles, we'll come across admonishments to avoid crossing the line.

Don't cross the line at the top of the backswing. It's repeated so often, it's like a mantra.

But, look at this...

Across the line.. across the line.. it's always bad... or is it? Across-The-Line

Across the line.. across the line.. it's always bad... or is it? Across-The-Line-Side

So, is this good or bad?

Back to top Go down
dmateo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Across the line.. across the line.. it's always bad... or is it?   Across the line.. across the line.. it's always bad... or is it? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2011 11:11 am

I think it's up to each individual right ? the general thumb rule of not crossing so you will not have a reverse pivot (if memory serves me right) and lost accuracy.
But some player can do this (John Dally and Bubba ??) without affecting their accuracy

I found 3/4 swing on iron tends to be more accurate compared to a full swing. Not sure if this is generic,but if so it might help to explain why there is a lot of emphasis on not crossing the line.

Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: Across the line.. across the line.. it's always bad... or is it?   Across the line.. across the line.. it's always bad... or is it? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2011 11:15 am

I got one of the most ugly swing and I only do half swing and have been doing it for the past 16 years. How to change at this age? Sad
Back to top Go down
Begbie
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Across the line.. across the line.. it's always bad... or is it?   Across the line.. across the line.. it's always bad... or is it? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2011 11:20 am

TDO wrote:
I got one of the most ugly swing and I only do half swing and have been doing it for the past 16 years. How to change at this age? Sad

Ugly but consistent swing = winning bets...

Beatiful but inconsistent swing = losing bets...

Taworn wiratchant is one good example. Putting and birdie stats - Top 5 in Asian Tour. Swing looks like shit... 13 Asian Tour wins..

Jeev Milka SIngh also one ugly swing. But many wins...

If it works for u no need change bro...
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: Across the line.. across the line.. it's always bad... or is it?   Across the line.. across the line.. it's always bad... or is it? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2011 11:27 am

Thanks for the comments guys.

Ah, but here's the twist.

The subject of the picture is none other than Freddy Couples.

Now there's a smooth tempo swing. No one has ever described his swing as ugly. And certainly not inaccurate.

Here's the video.

My point is, conventional 'wisdom' is sometimes (and in fact, often) wrong.

So, don't be in a hurry to listen to prevailing swing 'tips', 'guidelines', 'rules', etc and change your swing.

I can't tell you how many times I've read in current magazines - don't cross the line at the top, don't cross the line at the top... and I was like hypnotize until I believed it. If it's in books and magazines, it must be correct, right?

Think again. Keep an open mind.

P/S - at 0:53, the video explicitly states that his shaft crosses the target line. I luv it! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: Across the line.. across the line.. it's always bad... or is it?   Across the line.. across the line.. it's always bad... or is it? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2011 11:46 am

dmateo wrote:
I think it's up to each individual right ? the general thumb rule of not crossing so you will not have a reverse pivot (if memory serves me right) and lost accuracy.
But some player can do this (John Dally and Bubba ??) without affecting their accuracy

I found 3/4 swing on iron tends to be more accurate compared to a full swing. Not sure if this is generic,but if so it might help to explain why there is a lot of emphasis on not crossing the line.

Yup... and that's where the 'rule of thumb' approach fails.

There are so many different ways to effectively apply the human body to power the golf shaft, that the 'rule of thumb' approach, by definition, will never be able to cover all cases. What's forbidden in one swing method may actually be essential in another.

No reverse pivot in Freddy.. right?

Now... what if some (juuust a little bit) reverse pivot is actually good? The stack and tilt is almost... approaching a reverse pivot.
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: Across the line.. across the line.. it's always bad... or is it?   Across the line.. across the line.. it's always bad... or is it? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2011 11:50 am

Begbie wrote:
TDO wrote:

Ugly but consistent swing = winning bets...

Beatiful but inconsistent swing = losing bets...

Taworn wiratchant is one good example. Putting and birdie stats - Top 5 in Asian Tour. Swing looks like shit... 13 Asian Tour wins..

Jeev Milka SIngh also one ugly swing. But many wins...

If it works for u no need change bro...

Exactly. Tiger Woods, richest golfer, extremely talented. One year into the swing change, with all the resources he has available at his disposal, not even close to where he was before.

A swing change onto an established change, in your case 16 years, is a big big commitment.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Across the line.. across the line.. it's always bad... or is it?   Across the line.. across the line.. it's always bad... or is it? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Across the line.. across the line.. it's always bad... or is it?
Page 1 of 1