Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Thin or Thick Iron (Face) is better?

Go down 
+7
Technospaz
tronos
andrew-golf
acidic88
pushslice
golf_snowman
Lisy
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Lisy
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Lisy

Thin or Thick Iron (Face) is better? Empty
PostSubject: Thin or Thick Iron (Face) is better?   Thin or Thick Iron (Face) is better? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2011 12:10 am

HELP

I am on a frenzy of trying out clubs..
In deciding to get new irons.. Is it better to get thin ones or thick ones??
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: Thin or Thick Iron (Face) is better?   Thin or Thick Iron (Face) is better? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2011 12:33 am

err....what do you mean by thin or thick face ?

do you mean the sole ? what iron have you try out ?
Back to top Go down
Lisy
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Lisy

PostSubject: Re: Thin or Thick Iron (Face) is better?   Thin or Thick Iron (Face) is better? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2011 8:34 am

I mean the top edge and leading edge of irons.. some are really thick.. some are thin..
Iron with thin top edge and leading edge seems easier to use..
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Thin or Thick Iron (Face) is better?   Thin or Thick Iron (Face) is better? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2011 8:58 am

whatever suits your eye lisy...

well to be precise, whatever gives you the best results/feel when testing the clubs.

I wouldnt suggest confusing yourself with mumbo jumbo of designs, manufacturing type, brand, material, tech specifications etc etc...the arguments never ends and we dont know who has authority on the matter. it's basically all opinions/theories.

so at end of the day, the litmus test is the resulting ball flights and the feel in your hands. Assuming you have enough hits on the club at demo day at the range or using launch monitor

Swee? Buy.
Back to top Go down
Lisy
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Lisy

PostSubject: Re: Thin or Thick Iron (Face) is better?   Thin or Thick Iron (Face) is better? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2011 9:01 am

I am currently using Macgregor Ti set..
Still searching around for lighter clubs.. which can have the springie..carry over impact on hit..
Back to top Go down
Lisy
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Lisy

PostSubject: Re: Thin or Thick Iron (Face) is better?   Thin or Thick Iron (Face) is better? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2011 9:04 am

I tried out Mizuno irons.. Daiwa Irons.. and Macgregor Irons..
The rest are heavier and non-Ti irons..
Back to top Go down
acidic88
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Thin or Thick Iron (Face) is better?   Thin or Thick Iron (Face) is better? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2011 12:38 pm

Personally, I used to use Cally Big Bertha graphite irons with thick sole and top line. Recently moved into TM R9 with thinner sole and top line. I got slightly less distance, but better feel and control. With my swing, the R9s definitely feels better but my complain is the ball flight (motar style). Like the rest mentioned, its the look during address and feel during the impact that makes my decision. Of cos, looks are very important too. Smile
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: Thin or Thick Iron (Face) is better?   Thin or Thick Iron (Face) is better? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2011 1:37 pm

maybe i can suggest you to come join the SSN and i believe there are lots of different clubs for you to test....

agree with PS, get something which you find using comfortable and feels good....
Back to top Go down
andrew-golf
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
andrew-golf

PostSubject: Re: Thin or Thick Iron (Face) is better?   Thin or Thick Iron (Face) is better? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2011 1:40 pm

golf_snowman wrote:
maybe i can suggest you to come join the SSN and i believe there are lots of different clubs for you to test....

agree with PS, get something which you find using comfortable and feels good....

snowman..

tot sept u suppose to golf with me??

Sad
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Thin or Thick Iron (Face) is better?   Thin or Thick Iron (Face) is better? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2011 1:43 pm

Burner 09 or the new 2.0. best of both worlds....even a hacker like me can use the Burner 09
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Thin or Thick Iron (Face) is better?   Thin or Thick Iron (Face) is better? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2011 1:43 pm

I used to think that thick iron soles were ugly (and still do to some extent). However, I've seen how forgiving they can be and I'm inclined to now say that a good and straight shot is a good and straight shot. It doesn't make a difference what you used to get it there Smile So, if the thick sole irons work for you (they are typically in game improvement sets), then who cares whether your irons are shaped like spades or spindles?

Personally, however, I prefer thin soles (or a blend). I think they look nice and sleek. Unfortunately, they are usually harder to play and reserved for pros like Bubba, Luke and Mloy.

Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TourSwing

PostSubject: Re: Thin or Thick Iron (Face) is better?   Thin or Thick Iron (Face) is better? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2011 2:06 pm

Try as many irons as possible .. until you know you've found the right one! Ideally on grass, as turf interactions vary, but that may not be practical!

Wider sole irons have a CG that is lower and deeper, hence promoting a higher ball flight ... they also move through the rough much easier ...

Thinner sole irons enhance workability, and promote a more penetrating ball flight .. hence, preferred by pros
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: Thin or Thick Iron (Face) is better?   Thin or Thick Iron (Face) is better? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2011 3:26 pm

andrew-golf wrote:
golf_snowman wrote:

snowman..

Sad

Ops !! I thot u forget and I can siam...haha!!

I am officially car less now, if u wanna give me a ride, I'm ok... haha !!
Back to top Go down
andrew-golf
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
andrew-golf

PostSubject: Re: Thin or Thick Iron (Face) is better?   Thin or Thick Iron (Face) is better? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2011 3:29 pm

golf_snowman wrote:
andrew-golf wrote:
golf_snowman wrote:

snowman..

Sad

Ops !! I thot u forget and I can siam...haha!!

I am officially car less now, if u wanna give me a ride, I'm ok... haha !!

my car can only put 1 stand bag... driver and 3 wood must put back seat... No No No
Back to top Go down
Lisy
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Lisy

PostSubject: Re: Thin or Thick Iron (Face) is better?   Thin or Thick Iron (Face) is better? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2011 8:22 pm

Thank you all for the advices.. Smile

golf snowman..
What is SSN?

I prefer thinner ones as well now..
It feels better.. Cleaner sweep..

Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Thin or Thick Iron (Face) is better?   Thin or Thick Iron (Face) is better? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2011 9:44 pm

Lisy wrote:
Thank you all for the advices.. Smile

golf snowman..
What is SSN?

I prefer thinner ones as well now..
It feels better.. Cleaner sweep..

If you don't mind the chunky look, thick base is easier to hit and airborne the ball, and obviously more user-friendly because of its lower CoG.
Back to top Go down
HyBriD
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
HyBriD

PostSubject: Re: Thin or Thick Iron (Face) is better?   Thin or Thick Iron (Face) is better? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2011 2:11 pm

Lisy wrote:
HELP

I am on a frenzy of trying out clubs..
In deciding to get new irons.. Is it better to get thin ones or thick ones??

Hey,

sorry to interrupt and butt in...

Are you referring to the sole of Golf irons?

Becoz there are two or 3 kinds of sole

Golf clubmakers or Golf equipment guru's usually recommend those
WIDE SOLE irons for High to Mid Handicapper
These are also called Hybrid irons

I have a set of wide sole irons and they are pretty forgiving specially if the grass are not cow grass

I also have those narrow sole clubface iron which are more playable,

Maybe this can help

click here for more info
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/pnchung
Lisy
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Lisy

PostSubject: Re: Thin or Thick Iron (Face) is better?   Thin or Thick Iron (Face) is better? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 11:57 pm

Went to try out clubs just now at a demo day..

OMG.. I have fallen in love with hybrid now..

My experiences.. Swing

Taylormade Ladies clubs are really not for me.. too long, heavy and stiff..

Adam Golf clubs.. Tried the same one model used by yani tseng (actually is men's model).. very heavy.. but if can hit the sweet spot.. that club can really work wonders..

Dunlops ladies clubs are real no no.. the worst of all i reckon..

Daiwa on off clubs are really easy to hit..
hitting their hyrids always give out a nice 'ting' sound..
can consider..

Srixon surprises me.. not really impressed with their brand at first and went to try out..
OMG.. Surprising.. Light in a nice way even though it is not Ti.. and not costly.. And you still get that distance as well.. but only have the chance to try their driver, woods and hybrid..
I reckon this is a good beginner set that can last a long time..

Macgregor.. what can i say.. been using it for many many years..
but felt that it is not as good anymore..

Kasco ladies set.. iron is easy to hit.. weight also distributed equally across.. with the right weight at the bottom.. not too heavy.. not too light..
hybrid is easy to hit as well..
but don't really like their drivers..
and still finding pyra not nice to hit no matter what.. I really don't like pyra series..

Honma..
cannot say anything bad about it.. all positive..
Nice.. Light.. Can really propagate that end distance really well..
Forgiving..
Tried 3 stars ladies easy set and men easy and straight set..
Men straight set is too stiff and heavy for me..
3 stars ladies easy set and men easy set series..
Nice.. Light.. Can really propagate that end distance really well..
Ladies.. go for either ladies set or men easy set series..
Of course.. if got too much cash.. go for 4 stars.. even more forgiving..

Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: Thin or Thick Iron (Face) is better?   Thin or Thick Iron (Face) is better? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2011 12:27 am

you mentioned that you have been using Macgregor for many many years, meaning you are not beginner liao... now not many is using Macgregor...

Seems like you quite like Srixon set....
Back to top Go down
Lisy
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Lisy

PostSubject: Re: Thin or Thick Iron (Face) is better?   Thin or Thick Iron (Face) is better? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2011 9:22 am

Yes.. ever since Macgregor being taken over.. i think it is not worth buying Macgregor any more.. and they do not make as nice putter as before as well..

If any other ladies ask me.. I will reccommend Srixon set if they are beginner..
As it is not costly.. and will do the job well..

For anyone else.. Go for Honma.. Worth the money.. Try it for yourself and you know what I mean.. ^________^
Back to top Go down
HyBriD
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
HyBriD

PostSubject: Re: Thin or Thick Iron (Face) is better?   Thin or Thick Iron (Face) is better? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2011 3:24 pm

Lisy wrote:
Yes.. ever since Macgregor being taken over.. i think it is not worth buying Macgregor any more.. and they do not make as nice putter as before as well..

If any other ladies ask me.. I will reccommend Srixon set if they are beginner..
As it is not costly.. and will do the job well..

For anyone else.. Go for Honma.. Worth the money.. Try it for yourself and you know what I mean.. ^________^

Nice comment Lisy

I agree that MacGregor does not make Good clubs anymore. Their club makers have been pirated by the competitors.

Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/pnchung
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Tituman

PostSubject: Re: Thin or Thick Iron (Face) is better?   Thin or Thick Iron (Face) is better? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2011 6:24 pm

Hi Lisy, offering my 2 cts of seasonal beginner's view. I have tried the thin sole sometime back and have temporary put it on kiv waiting for my skill to improve. I tend to dig into the ground like a changkul because of the thin sharp sole. Well that will happened frequently if you come down just a bit to steep. Of course if you hit it consistenly on the sweet spot most of the time with just a bit of divot, then a thin sole plate will pose no problem for you. I then switched to a bigger sole plate set, the Cobra S9 series 1 and it certainly helped me with my contact and my digging into the ground have significantly disappear. So a golfer who frequently "changkul" his/her shots, I would advised a bigger sole plate in order to enjoy your game more. Good luck on your hunt for the perfect set. cheers
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Thin or Thick Iron (Face) is better?   Thin or Thick Iron (Face) is better? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2011 6:30 pm

titu, if you are "seasonal" beginner, it means sometimes play like beginner, sometimes you play like single handicap. in other words, a buaya Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thin or Thick Iron (Face) is better?   Thin or Thick Iron (Face) is better? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Thin or Thick Iron (Face) is better?
Page 1 of 1