Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Stiff and Strong Shaft

Go down 
+6
handiman
Aloyboy
Joshua
Roystonnn
Lee36328
TDO
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

Stiff and Strong Shaft Empty
PostSubject: Stiff and Strong Shaft   Stiff and Strong Shaft I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2011 2:29 pm

I noticed there are many golfers here using stiff shafts. I used to use them too but now have to use regular flex now. Guess age is a factor. Plus no longer hitting as long with the clubs. Sad

Any way to improve? I am using Dynatech Steel Shaft (Regular) used to hit the following clubs:

1) Driver (Past) 240m. Now 210m
2) 3Wd (Past) 210m. Now 190m
3) 5Wd (Past) 200m. Now 180m
4) 3I (Past) 190m. Now 1750m
5) 4I (Past) 180m. Now 165m
6) 5I (Past) 170m. Now 155m
7) 6I (Past) 160m. Now 145m
8) 7I (Past) 150m. Now 135m
9) 8I (Past) 140m. Now 125m
10) 9I (Past) 130m. Now 110m
11) PW (Past) 115m. Now 85m
12) SW (Past) 100m. Now 75m

I sense something wrong with my shots.

Can anyone offer advice how to improve the distance? Seems I am losing a lot of it over the past few years.
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: Stiff and Strong Shaft   Stiff and Strong Shaft I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2011 2:58 pm

Sir,

what is AF that you mentioned in another thread?
Back to top Go down
Roystonnn
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Stiff and Strong Shaft   Stiff and Strong Shaft I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2011 3:14 pm

Bro, really someting wrong looking at ur distance.. Cos ur 3i damn fxxxing far!!! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Joshua
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Joshua

PostSubject: Re: Stiff and Strong Shaft   Stiff and Strong Shaft I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2011 3:19 pm

got power boost ? hole 1 to hole 5
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: Stiff and Strong Shaft   Stiff and Strong Shaft I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2011 3:21 pm

Roystonnn wrote:
Bro, really someting wrong looking at ur distance.. Cos ur 3i damn fxxxing far!!! Laughing
Wah lau! Didn't know I could do 1750m. Ha! HA!. Thanks for pointing. You all should know it's typo lah. bounce
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: Stiff and Strong Shaft   Stiff and Strong Shaft I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2011 3:26 pm

Lee36328 wrote:
Sir,

Oh. it's short for Atrial Fribillation. A rare heart problem that was discovered by my doctor in 2005. Heart beat is irregular. Sometimes tripling in speed for a short stint. In other terms, it's heart murmur.

I cannot run for fear of over-exertion that may result in sudden heart failure. But physically I am ok that's why I do brisk walking instead. Smile
Back to top Go down
Aloyboy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Aloyboy

PostSubject: Re: Stiff and Strong Shaft   Stiff and Strong Shaft I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2011 3:35 pm

TDO. I have the same problem with u. I guess it's the change of irons for me. Now I have to depend on long irons alot.
Back to top Go down
handiman
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Stiff and Strong Shaft   Stiff and Strong Shaft I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2011 3:53 pm

What driver and balls you using?
Perhaps using clubs with newer technology may help.
Using a ball that suits your swing speed and spin rate may help.
Also, changing shafts in your clubs to suit your swing speed may also help.

A consistent 210m off the Tee is still pretty good for most blue T-boxes if you ask me!

Cheers
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Stiff and Strong Shaft   Stiff and Strong Shaft I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2011 4:12 pm

TDO is 55 yrs old but distance is longer than many hackers 20 yrs younger, including me hehehe

the way I look at it, TDO just need to increase driver & 3 wood carry or roll distance. becoz for <190m, he just use one or two clubs more.

assumming the same technique and amount of flexibility/strength, TDO can see a clubfitter and check if there are shafts and driver/wood head (maybe higher loft?) that could optimize his launch angle, spin rate and carry/roll

can fight nature with technology (and $$$) Laughing

Back to top Go down
mengteck71
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mengteck71

PostSubject: Re: Stiff and Strong Shaft   Stiff and Strong Shaft I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2011 4:31 pm

I am 40 and hit shorter Sad think i am tbe one having problem Sad
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: Stiff and Strong Shaft   Stiff and Strong Shaft I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2011 4:39 pm

TDO wrote:
Lee36328 wrote:
Sir,

Oh. it's short for Atrial Fribillation. A rare heart problem that was discovered by my doctor in 2005. Heart beat is irregular. Sometimes tripling in speed for a short stint. In other terms, it's heart murmur.

I cannot run for fear of over-exertion that may result in sudden heart failure. But physically I am ok that's why I do brisk walking instead. Smile

The golf swing is a short pulse of muscular contraction. In effect, a short moment of exertion, repeated several times over the space of a few hours.

Does that present any issue?

Could you be consciously slowing down the power of your swing precisely to avoid this over-exertion?
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Stiff and Strong Shaft   Stiff and Strong Shaft I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2011 6:00 pm

1) Driver (Past) 240m. Now 210m
2) 3Wd (Past) 210m. Now 190m
3) 5Wd (Past) 200m. Now 180m
4) 3I (Past) 190m. Now 1750m
5) 4I (Past) 180m. Now 165m
6) 5I (Past) 170m. Now 155m
7) 6I (Past) 160m. Now 145m
8) 7I (Past) 150m. Now 135m
9) 8I (Past) 140m. Now 125m
10) 9I (Past) 130m. Now 110m
11) PW (Past) 115m. Now 85m
12) SW (Past) 100m. Now 75m

actually there is now a big gap from your PW to 9i........

why not change your irons shaft from steel to graphite....

money can buy a lot of things.... just cant buy back time or health for that matter
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: Stiff and Strong Shaft   Stiff and Strong Shaft I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2011 6:42 pm

handiman wrote:
What driver and balls you using?
Perhaps using clubs with newer technology may help.
Using a ball that suits your swing speed and spin rate may help.
Also, changing shafts in your clubs to suit your swing speed may also help.

A consistent 210m off the Tee is still pretty good for most blue T-boxes if you ask me!

Cheers

My balls depend on what my 2nd hand ball seller sells me. I am not too concerned with brand. Any ball will do as long as it's not an old wrinkled ball with lots of experience marked on it.Very Happy

I have been using my steel shaft irons for the past 11 years. It's Dynalite steel regular shaft. I am quite used to it actually.Laughing

Have a set of Mizuno Grand Monarch Stiff Graphite Shaft Irons but have not been able to play it well for some time now. It's a very good iron set actually and very expensive but is now lying in the store room.Rolling Eyes

I play white tee most of the time with my friends and would not mind Blue tee if allowed. But now that I joined Poresia, I am looking to playing here more often.Stiff and Strong Shaft 518126
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: Stiff and Strong Shaft   Stiff and Strong Shaft I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2011 6:50 pm

pushslice wrote:
TDO is 55 yrs old but distance is longer than many hackers 20 yrs younger, including me hehehe

the way I look at it, TDO just need to increase driver & 3 wood carry or roll distance. becoz for <190m, he just use one or two clubs more.

assumming the same technique and amount of flexibility/strength, TDO can see a clubfitter and check if there are shafts and driver/wood head (maybe higher loft?) that could optimize his launch angle, spin rate and carry/roll

can fight nature with technology (and $$$) Laughing

Two more months and I will be 56.Sad My driver used to be 9deg but now 10.5deg.

My iron sets are custom-fitted by Joe from Clubs & Clubs previously. Already 11 years old but I am still happy with it. Joe did a good job analysing my swing.

I just don't want too much money changing clubs. My TM 360XD Driver also with me quite long already. I think 7 years but it's still serving me well.Smile I believe a person's skill is important to remain consistent. Don't get me wrong, of course new technology helps to lower score and playability.Smile
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: Stiff and Strong Shaft   Stiff and Strong Shaft I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2011 6:52 pm

mengteck71 wrote:

Bro, distance is not really important. Accuracy is and more deadly. Smile
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: Stiff and Strong Shaft   Stiff and Strong Shaft I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2011 6:57 pm

Lee36328 wrote:
TDO wrote:
Lee36328 wrote:
Sir,

The golf swing is a short pulse of muscular contraction. In effect, a short moment of exertion, repeated several times over the space of a few hours.

Could you be consciously slowing down the power of your swing precisely to avoid this over-exertion?

I think it's more to do with aging than anything. I remember playing NSRCC when I was a member until its expiry in early 2006. At the Airforce 2nd Hole I am able to reach the green in 2. My tee shot passed 2 big bunkers on the right and is already near the bridge leaving only about 190m (I think) to green with 5Wd. Man, that shot was memorable. By the way, it's from white tee not blue.Smile
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: Stiff and Strong Shaft   Stiff and Strong Shaft I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2011 7:02 pm

mengteck71 wrote:

Bro,

Are you the Meng Teck together with Mani and Guy that was in the same flight during the Tiger Medal organised by My Golf Kaki? From the photo it looks like you. Ha! Ha!
Back to top Go down
ChrisD
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
ChrisD

PostSubject: Re: Stiff and Strong Shaft   Stiff and Strong Shaft I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2011 7:04 pm

Mengteck drive is 220m carry minimum.
He drives longer than me.
Back to top Go down
mengteck71
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mengteck71

PostSubject: Re: Stiff and Strong Shaft   Stiff and Strong Shaft I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2011 7:18 pm

TDO, yes it is me Smile. Now u know how short hor..

ChrisD, we play together before meh?
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: Stiff and Strong Shaft   Stiff and Strong Shaft I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2011 7:38 pm

TDO wrote:
Lee36328 wrote:
TDO wrote:
Lee36328 wrote:
Sir,

I think it's more to do with aging than anything. I remember playing NSRCC when I was a member until its expiry in early 2006. At the Airforce 2nd Hole I am able to reach the green in 2. My tee shot passed 2 big bunkers on the right and is already near the bridge leaving only about 190m (I think) to green with 5Wd. Man, that shot was memorable. By the way, it's from white tee not blue.Smile

In that case, we are looking at counter-acting the lower swing speed, either by improved swing mechanics, or changing equipment.

In terms of equipment, obviously what would help would be custom-fitting. What fit you well when you were achieving the longer distance a few years back probably could do with a review since the swing speed seems to have come down.

So, going for fitting would be worth considering.

The other route, looking at your swing. I am not sure how much your AF condition affects your swing, or whether there are any other physical issues we don't know about (flexibility, old injuries, etc.)

Barring all that, age need no necessarily be a barrier to achieving distance, if history is anything to go by. There is a lot of room for improvement in swing mechanics, judging from the distances you posted.

By the way, are those total distances or carry distances?

Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Stiff and Strong Shaft   Stiff and Strong Shaft I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2011 7:46 pm

TDO wrote:

i know that hole pretty well....

not easy to reach on 2 even from the white....

most time, wind is blowing against u....

only managed to do it once....also from white
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: Stiff and Strong Shaft   Stiff and Strong Shaft I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2011 8:11 pm

Lee36328 wrote:
TDO wrote:
Lee36328 wrote:
TDO wrote:
Lee36328 wrote:
Sir,

In that case, we are looking at counter-acting the lower swing speed, either by improved swing mechanics, or changing equipment.

In terms of equipment, obviously what would help would be custom-fitting. What fit you well when you were achieving the longer distance a few years back probably could do with a review since the swing speed seems to have come down.

So, going for fitting would be worth considering.

The other route, looking at your swing. I am not sure how much your AF condition affects your swing, or whether there are any other physical issues we don't know about (flexibility, old injuries, etc.)

Barring all that, age need no necessarily be a barrier to achieving distance, if history is anything to go by. There is a lot of room for improvement in swing mechanics, judging from the distances you posted.

By the way, are those total distances or carry distances?

Those figures are total distances. I got a nigging pain on the left ankle and elbow for the past 6 months but it's not stopping me from golfing.Smile
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: Stiff and Strong Shaft   Stiff and Strong Shaft I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2011 10:34 pm

mengteck71 wrote:
TDO, yes it is me Smile. Now u know how short hor..

ChrisD, we play together before meh?
Your drive and short is very good. Just that on that day you're off form a bit. Swing
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: Stiff and Strong Shaft   Stiff and Strong Shaft I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2011 10:49 pm

TDO wrote:

Those figures are total distances. I got a nigging pain on the left ankle and elbow for the past 6 months but it's not stopping me from golfing.Smile

So, how much would you say the reduction of distance was due to the niggling pain in the left ankle and elbow?

Could that be the root of it?
Back to top Go down
mengteck71
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mengteck71

PostSubject: Re: Stiff and Strong Shaft   Stiff and Strong Shaft I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 08, 2011 8:21 am

TDO, thanks for kind words and encouragement Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stiff and Strong Shaft   Stiff and Strong Shaft I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Stiff and Strong Shaft
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next