Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

old vs. new golf equipment

Go down 
+4
Bangla123
simon1982
pushslice
benjiaming
8 posters
AuthorMessage
benjiaming
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

old vs. new golf equipment Empty
PostSubject: old vs. new golf equipment   old vs. new golf equipment I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2011 9:39 am

are we able to draw any conclusion from below? your view?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Adams Idea Tech a4 irons
PLAYER: Yani Tseng
WINS: Honda LPGA Thailand; LPGA State Farm Classic; Wegmans LPGA Championship; Ricoh Women's British Open; Walmart NW Arkansas Championship
STORY: All of Yani Tseng's five wins on the LPGA Tour in 2011 came using Adams Golf's Idea Tech a4 irons. The irons, which earned a Gold medal on the 2009 Golf Digest Hot List, are made from carbon steel and boast a quad cavity-back design with stabilizer bars for forgiveness.
CURRENT VALUE: $148.33 (set of eight, steel)

Read More http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-equipment/2011-10/photos-old-clubs-still-winning#ixzz1Zxbnni1I

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ben Hogan Apex irons
PLAYER: Bernhard Langer
WIN: ACE Group Classic
STORY: Everyone loves the look of muscleback blades. Few can actually use them. Bernhard Langer is one of those still using and winning with them, utilizing Ben Hogan Apex irons for his 3-iron through 5-iron. The version of the Apex Langer uses was introduced in 1999, a full five years before the Golf Digest Hot List began.
CURRENT VALUE: $67.05 (set of eight, steel)

Read More http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-equipment/2011-10/photos-old-clubs-still-winning#ixzz1ZxbzUouo

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Callaway FT-5 driver
PLAYER: Sandra Gal
WIN: Kia Classic
STORY: Sandra Gal found the winner's circle for the first time on the LPGA Tour in 2011 using an 8.5-degree Callaway FT-5 driver. Introduced in 2007, the FT-5 was a Gold medal winner on the 2008 Golf Digest Hot List as well as an Editor's Choice selection. A 25-gram weight located low and deep in the club head positions the center of gravity low and toward the heel for a higher trajectory and draw bias.
CURRENT VALUE: $32.80

Read More http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-equipment/2011-10/photos-old-clubs-still-winning#ixzz1ZxcDlCYU

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Callaway Steelhead fairway woods
PLAYER: Mark Calcavecchia
WIN: Boeing Classic
STORY: Mark Calcavecchia is known for changing putters at a moment's notice, but the fairway woods he had in the bag during his win at the Boeing Classic date back to 1998. Calc had a pair of Callaway Steelheads (15 and 19 degrees) in play, the clubs featuring a compact head shape favored by many better players.
CURRENT VALUE: $5.97 (graphite)

Read More http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-equipment/2011-10/photos-old-clubs-still-winning#ixzz1ZxcPC0Ig

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cleveland HiBore XLS fairway wood
PLAYER: Mark Wilson
WINS: Sony Open in Hawaii; Waste Management Phoenix Open
STORY: A Silver medalist on the 2008 Golf Digest Hot List, Cleveland's HiBore XLS 3-wood was in Mark Wilson's bag during his wins in Hawaii and Phoenix (as well as Harrison Frazar's at the FedEx St. Jude Classic.) The large-headed HiBore XLS fairway wood features an inverted crown design that pushes weight to the perimeter of the clubhead for stability.
CURRENT VALUE: $48.01

Read More http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-equipment/2011-10/photos-old-clubs-still-winning#ixzz1ZxcWkXHK

Nike SasQuatch Sumo2 Tour driver
PLAYER: Lucas Glover
WIN: Wells Fargo Championship
STORY: One of the first square drivers, Nike's SQ Sumo2 was a Gold medal winner on the 2007 Golf Digest Hot List. Lucas Glover used a tour version of that club to win the 2009 U.S Open at Bethpage Black. Since then Glover has tried several drivers, but had the Sumo2 Tour in the bag when he won the Wells Fargo Championship this year.
CURRENT VALUE: $41.61

Read More http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-equipment/2011-10/photos-old-clubs-still-winning#ixzz1Zxci4Au0

TaylorMade r7 SuperQuad
PLAYER: Tom Lehman
WINS: Allianz Championship; Mississippi Gulf Resort Classic; Regions Tradition
STORY: Golfers measure the age of drivers a little bit like they measure dog years--every year is really about five. That makes Tom Lehman's three wins on the Champions Tour in 2011 using a 9.5 degree TaylorMade SuperQuad (a club that debuted in 2007 and was a Silver medalist on the 2008 Golf Digest Hot List) quite impressive. The club's four weight ports allow for 102 center of gravity locations.
CURRENT VALUE: $59.44

Read More http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-equipment/2011-10/photos-old-clubs-still-winning#ixzz1Zxd0W8kX

Titleist 906F2 fairway woods
PLAYERS: Rory McIlroy and Steve Stricker
WINS: U.S. Open Championship (McIlroy); Memorial Tournament (Stricker); John Deere Classic (Stricker)
STORY: Introduced in 2006, Titleist's PT 906F2 was a Gold medal winner on the 2007 Golf Digest Hot List. A Tour-inspired bore-thru shaft design on the 906F2 positions the tip of the shaft lower and closer to the hitting area for stability at impact.
CURRENT VALUE: $42.85

Read More http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-equipment/2011-10/photos-old-clubs-still-winning#ixzz1ZxdJeWBZ

Last edited by benjiaming on Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: old vs. new golf equipment   old vs. new golf equipment I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2011 9:49 am

whatever works use it.

those pros also have newer models/clubs in their bags. Not all are old.
Back to top Go down
benjiaming
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: old vs. new golf equipment   old vs. new golf equipment I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2011 10:05 am

that's true PS .... on the other hand, many ameteurs, me included, fail to realise our ups and downs in golf as the norm. Many will take the excuse to change clubs when they play poorly. I have also met a number of golfers who like to change new golf clubs (new models) so as to capitalise on new technology, according to them. Do most golfers do the same?
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: old vs. new golf equipment   old vs. new golf equipment I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2011 10:08 am

dunno bro, i change clubs pretty often, but I never blame my old clubs, its just that I met a new, prettier and hotter girlfriend.

like when you break up with your gf "it's not you, its me" Laughing
Back to top Go down
benjiaming
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: old vs. new golf equipment   old vs. new golf equipment I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2011 11:06 am

ha ha .... that's a good excuse ..... I wonder do most golfers have the same mentality? Smile
Back to top Go down
simon1982
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
simon1982

PostSubject: Re: old vs. new golf equipment   old vs. new golf equipment I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2011 11:42 am

benjiaming wrote:
that's true PS .... on the other hand, many ameteurs, me included, fail to realise our ups and downs in golf as the norm. Many will take the excuse to change clubs when they play poorly. I have also met a number of golfers who like to change new golf clubs (new models) so as to capitalise on new technology, according to them. Do most golfers do the same?

I used to think like that. Play poorly and keep thinking "if i got that newer clubs, i wont play that bad".
However, now i noe consistent swing is the key!
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: old vs. new golf equipment   old vs. new golf equipment I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2011 11:43 am

let me be clear....I dont expect new clubs to help me score better, I expect the amount of practice i put in and what my coach taught to help me score better. Clubs is for feeling good out on the course only Very Happy

whatever our hobby is, if you have a hobby, Im sure there's always the hunt for more or different things. Modify road cars, mountain bike, camera and lenses, fishing, even running/jogging (im sure joggers dont anyhow pick running shoes, they want nice looks/softness/protection/balance bla bla)
Back to top Go down
Bangla123
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Bangla123

PostSubject: Re: old vs. new golf equipment   old vs. new golf equipment I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2011 12:50 pm

I feel for old clubs its mostly a confidence /mental/superstitious thing. Or the model just happens to suit/compensate your swing a way that your comfortable with. Correct me if im wrong, thats probably why the guys on tour who are confident about they re swings seem to change equipment more often that others.
Back to top Go down
benjiaming
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: old vs. new golf equipment   old vs. new golf equipment I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2011 10:57 am

I guess it is worthwhile to keep using same clubs until swing is steady if pocket in not so deep Smile
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: old vs. new golf equipment   old vs. new golf equipment I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2011 3:26 pm

I have 3 sets of Irons but have been using Dynacraft for the past 11 years. And I feel quite comfortable with it despite it being an old set. However, my score didn't come down. A lousy craftsman. I am not blaming my tools but because my skill level is not up to it. I am very sure my irons would be willing to help me lower my score if I can improve. Unfortunately, unfortunately, unfortunately. But the most important thing is I enjoyed the game, regardless. On Green
Back to top Go down
alvinlee
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: old vs. new golf equipment   old vs. new golf equipment I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2011 3:52 pm

hey benjiaming i realised that you are using the Ben hogan apex as well! not many of us around....in fact my 7i just broke due to rust...the head flew further than the ball...

and because of that, sometimes new equipment do give us some more bang for their buck..

although I m not too sure if its normal for the rust to set in within the shaft...
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: old vs. new golf equipment   old vs. new golf equipment I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2011 8:02 pm

new models got better shaft these days..new steel shaft are lighter and much easier to use.

Have a set of old (at least 20 yo) MacGregor blades and damn those are heavy (and shorter) compare to my Burner 09 set. Surprisingly not so unforgiving and the shorter irons are quite good to use (always cannot get use to the new lighter PW then suddenly a heavy wedge)

Back to top Go down
golfcoma
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: old vs. new golf equipment   old vs. new golf equipment I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2011 8:03 pm

I do believe that techonlogy in clubs can probably help some golfers hit *slightly* further/straighter/etc. However, there are two things that are of much more importance - proper lessons and proper fitting.

Having said that and having an enormous itchy backside, I just changed to a new set of irons after using the old one for almost 3 years. But I don't expect to score better, hit straighter, further or anything like that. I did so for the reason pointed out by pushslice - I saw a pretty set of irons waving coyly at me, and I just wanted to try something new.

But if my lifelihood depended on my clubs, I would not changed them as long as they are working for me...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: old vs. new golf equipment   old vs. new golf equipment I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

old vs. new golf equipment
Page 1 of 1