Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Questions on Golf

Go down 
+3
Right_sided_coach
Elbry
bryantee84
7 posters
AuthorMessage
bryantee84
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Questions on Golf Empty
PostSubject: Questions on Golf   Questions on Golf I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 8:13 pm

Good evening all,

I took up golfing about a week ago and i have a lot of questions hoping that some of the veteran players would be able to guide me a little before i look for a coach.

For starter, i am using a regular full cavity iron set (4 - 9 ++ P) as my golf equipment. I have been watched the videos by RSC and read up on the beginners tips etc.
Started practicing the technique at the driving range (TPY and SCC)

I am currently using only 7i and nothing else for practice (Was advised by one of the very very nice and veteran uncle at TPY).

I do know that my swing has error and need coaching from professional coaches. However, i wanted to make sure that my passion for golf is not just a bypass kind of hobby. Hence before i commit to getting a coach, i want to be ready for it.

Through my practices, my distance achieve from 7i was merely 100m (was told that a pro could reach 175m no less). While i was at SCC this morning, i tried 4i to 9i and this is what my observations:

4i - 125m
5i to 9i- 100m

I borrowed a wood and hybrid from an uncle. Managed only 150m.

My questions are,

1. What are the estimated distant one would be able to achieve for each type of clubs?
2. Should i pay $890 for a 10 lessons coaching at TPY?
3. How does one knows he is ready for a normal golf course (i was told that it is not an easy task to achieve)?
4. I want to improve my swing, whom should i look for beside a coach?

Questions on Golf courses,

1. I understand that we have to pay a fees to be able to play in the golf courses. How long can we stay there? As in say, it's a 18 hole courses, can one spend an entire day in the courses? Sounds a bit confusing, but i do not know how to phrase it.

Please pardon me for the lengthy post. I really wish to learn this sport and feel that somehow it seems magical compared to my previous sports (rugby and basketball).

Thank you and regards
Bryant
Back to top Go down
Elbry
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Elbry

Questions on Golf Empty
PostSubject: Re: Questions on Golf   Questions on Golf I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 8:49 pm

Hi there,

I don't consider myself a veteran as I only started golf half year ago. But would like to share with you my experience or some of the lessons I learnt.

i) Do try to get a pro as practising by yourself will not be beneficial if you are practicing the wrong thing all the time. (We have a few pros/coaches in GR that are pretty good)

ii) Golf packages of 10 lessons can range from $200 plus to >$1000, maybe you can get some players review of pros or go to them for a try out session to see if you comfortable with them.

iii) Golfers have their ups and downs, some days you hit real well on the range, some days you just can't get it right. Hang in there and don't be demoralized.

iv) You are ready for a golf course when you get your PC at least, can hit straight most of the time and know proper golf manners.

v) Normally a 18 hole golf course takes around 3.5 hours to 5 hours(depends on how fast or slow)

I am sure the rest of our forumers can give you more advice.

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

Questions on Golf Empty
PostSubject: Re: Questions on Golf   Questions on Golf I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 8:51 pm

Hi Bryant

Just to make you aware, the videos I am posting and my swing philosophy is based on the Right Sided Swing. This is different to the swing that most others teach or use. As a newbie, this may seem confusing.
The best advise is to choose an instructor and swing type and stick with that. When you combine different tips, coaches etc you will be all over the place.
The main thing is to enjoy the journey and meet many friends along the way.
$890 for 10 lessons sounds like a good deal. Just check on the credentials of the pro and meet him/her to see if he is the one for you.
As you improve your technique and golfing muscles, your distance will increase. There is no average or estimated distance for each club. Different for all people. Based on technique, strength, speed of swing and other things.
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

Questions on Golf Empty
PostSubject: Re: Questions on Golf   Questions on Golf I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 10:24 pm

one very important thing u must have.....u must have golf kaki. If u are by urself, it maybe harder to motivate urself. Dont really have to train or practice together all the time, but if have some1 to chat or discuss ur progress etc, its more fun. Also when playing ur first 18 holes, it best done with ppl u know and that they are all playing as badly as u....after the game can relax and 'analyze' each others game.

end of the day if you score only 110 but have a very good time with your mates, its all worth it.

the training and seriousness comes in when ur mates all suddenly start playing well and u get to meet more and more serious golfers. Buayanism comes in much latter.
Back to top Go down
bryantee84
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Questions on Golf Empty
PostSubject: Re: Questions on Golf   Questions on Golf I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 10:37 pm

wat do u mean by buayanism? i saw some of them asking "are u buaya?" What does tt mean?

yeah i guess having a partner is better than playing alone.

Do you guys have any coach to intro? I find that the coaching fees @ TPY a bit high for 1 person. Any intro?
Back to top Go down
bryantee84
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Questions on Golf Empty
PostSubject: Re: Questions on Golf   Questions on Golf I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 10:45 pm

Would it be advisable to get hybrid, woods and drivers?

I do intend to go and play in the golf course one day. Seems a bit too early to get them?
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

Questions on Golf Empty
PostSubject: Re: Questions on Golf   Questions on Golf I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 12:18 am

hi bryan, one-on-on coaching is always on the high side. That price is reasonable price anywhere. You will find very little variance. I do not recommend group classes as often you learn nothing much.

You could try with a partner or maybe 3 person to bring down the cost. But i would not recommend anything beyond 3 person as you hardly get any attention.

there are a few pros on this forum. You may wish to pm them and ask them for details.

If you wish to learn at TPY, Alan whose nick appears in red is coaching there. You could always pm him.

Please check this thread for the contact details for all the professionals who are helping out in the forum. If you wish to go to other ranges or locations, you may find someone suitable in here. You may wish to pm them or call them up for a chat.

Golf Professional Contact Details
Back to top Go down
Http://thescarletibis.wordpress.com
Roystonnn
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

Questions on Golf Empty
PostSubject: Re: Questions on Golf   Questions on Golf I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 12:26 am

bryantee84 wrote:
Would it be advisable to get hybrid, woods and drivers?

I do intend to go and play in the golf course one day. Seems a bit too early to get them?

Once u think U'll like the sport.. Probably, start off with a cheap 2nd hand set of Iron first (with gloves, shoes & cheap putter). Slowly build up the set as and when u find some cheap 2nd hand deals...

Tats how I got started initially.. when more interest develops, I buy better & pretty clubs.. Very Happy

If u start off playing at Mandai 9 hole Executive course, which alot of people started off playing there.. u dun even need a driver.. at most woods ba..
Back to top Go down
ironfist
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
ironfist

Questions on Golf Empty
PostSubject: Re: Questions on Golf   Questions on Golf I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 1:53 am

hey fellow SIM student! haha i started about a year ago and am pretty new to the game as well. well my advice would be to stick with your current set and play with them like what mr. roystonnnnn has mentioned. maybe get a driver just to mix it up and keep your interest level going.

as for lessons i agree blowing 890 on lessons feels damn heartpain so if you're looking for a cheaper deal, maybe going for 1 on 2 lessons? 1 coach to 2 students. that would be cheaper but obviously not as intensive.

and maybe we can get together sometime to play! trust me i'm not a buaya. Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Questions on Golf Empty
PostSubject: Re: Questions on Golf   Questions on Golf I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Questions on Golf
Page 1 of 1