Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Why force? Let the club do the work.

Go down 
+21
Lamts18
eiji
sunny
ironfist
ughly
Mizuno
Duval_S
hardrock
joleelyn
jaketang
chocoman
Khorkar
Turbo
tronos
shotah
S70B
nutty88
mervyntan
Ssquirrel
mUAr_cHEe
Technospaz
25 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

Why force? Let the club do the work. Empty
PostSubject: Why force? Let the club do the work.   Why force? Let the club do the work. I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2009 10:26 am

This is something which I've heard before. We pay so much money for good gear and yet, use as much brute force as possible to hit the ball. The clubs are designed to work for us so why force it?

More recently, my golfguru (Fabulous) imparted this tip to me again. Take it easy. Forcing the shot, i.e. over-accelerating in the downswing will give power but reduces accuracy. Take a steady swing and let the club do the work.

I tried this in my game on Saturday and was pleased with the results. I admit that I still want to give the ball a good whack, which is not an uncommon desire. However, given that I'm still a below-average golfer, my accuracy and swing isn't up to par which means that I need to focus more on getting good contact than greater distance.

This is something I need to remind myself for future games. I felt that I enjoyed the game more. Wasn't superlong, but at least I was able to keep most of my shots on the fairway or on (or close to) the green.

Thanks, fabulous - great tip!! The results? Almost broke 90 Wink (and it's been a long while since I came close)

Anyone with a similar approach to this sport?
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: Why force? Let the club do the work.   Why force? Let the club do the work. I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2009 10:30 am

u forget about one animal instinct in all of us; EGO.

"nb. dat siao eh drive so far. limpei cannot lose face."

HAIIYYAAAA!!!!

*pause*

FOREEEE!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Why force? Let the club do the work.   Why force? Let the club do the work. I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2009 10:30 am

mUAr_cHEe wrote:

HAIIYYAAAA!!!!

*pause*

FOREEEE!!!!!

LOL! That's why golf is a game where you challenge yourself.

FORE, indeed!
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

PostSubject: Re: Why force? Let the club do the work.   Why force? Let the club do the work. I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2009 10:31 am

HIT HARD!!! LOOK UP!!! albino
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: Why force? Let the club do the work.   Why force? Let the club do the work. I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2009 10:32 am

another thing is that sometimes one does not have enough trust in this own equipment.

You know that your 7 iron can carry your ball 130 metres but you still force it and sacrifice on the accuracy.
Back to top Go down
mervyntan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mervyntan

PostSubject: Re: Why force? Let the club do the work.   Why force? Let the club do the work. I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2009 10:36 am

mUAr_cHEe wrote:

HAIIYYAAAA!!!!

*pause*

FOREEEE!!!!!

MC... we knew that about you all along...
Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
nutty88

PostSubject: Re: Why force? Let the club do the work.   Why force? Let the club do the work. I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2009 10:50 am

I believe a lot has to do with ego lah. Imagine on a par 3 where your kakis use 7i while you have to use 6i or 5i. No face lor, so must use 7i and whack it hard.

Actually one should always remind himself that easy does it. Brute force will cause your ball flight to spray wild and one will be playing percentage golf. And a high percentage that the ball will land up in trouble.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Why force? Let the club do the work.   Why force? Let the club do the work. I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2009 11:00 am

nutty88 wrote:
I believe a lot has to do with ego lah. Imagine on a par 3 where your kakis use 7i while you have to use 6i or 5i. No face lor, so must use 7i and whack it hard.

Actually one should always remind himself that easy does it. Brute force will cause your ball flight to spray wild and one will be playing percentage golf. And a high percentage that the ball will land up in trouble.

But you must also appreciate that some equipment are designed to give longer distance at the expense of accuracy. Blades give great distance and workability but you need to be deadly accurate. So, don't feel pressured to play a club based on what others play. Instead, play the club based on how you play.
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Why force? Let the club do the work.   Why force? Let the club do the work. I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2009 11:06 am

Ask Mowen how he overcomes it. His Hybrid shots are straighter than my irons.
Back to top Go down
shotah
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
shotah

PostSubject: Re: Why force? Let the club do the work.   Why force? Let the club do the work. I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2009 11:32 am

It always happen to me as my shots are shorter than most of the players i played with over the weekend. But I am never bothered by it. Why let others affect your game....
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Why force? Let the club do the work.   Why force? Let the club do the work. I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2009 11:36 am

2 sides of the coin as I see it.

In one way, you wanna maximise your own potential.

However, I learnt that no matter how far you can hit it, there will always be someone (or alot more people) that can hit it further than you so I do not get bothered by it as my game matures.
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Why force? Let the club do the work.   Why force? Let the club do the work. I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2009 12:10 pm

read this somewhere so starting to do 3/4 swings for 6 irons and below (like a wedge shot). Drop ~20m but much easier to control (still inconsistant but way less fat or thin shots). 6 iron now ~110-120m. When i am consistent then maybe move on to full shots.

Only problem is dont know how to do 3/4 swing for longer irons and hybrids. Come out more like a punch shot or fat shots.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Why force? Let the club do the work.   Why force? Let the club do the work. I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 12:12 am

Yes, I agree absolutely that the ability to flush the ball with the clubhead consistently is of paramount importance to achieving the desire result (i.e. straight & long).

I have 3 key elements in my swing thought -

1) Keep a steady head (minimum lateral movement);
2) Maintain my swing tempo (about 75% strength);
3) Initiate my down swing with my lower torso

If I can achieve the above all the time, my distance will come naturally without much force. I can do 140-150 m with a 7-iron. 8)
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: Why force? Let the club do the work.   Why force? Let the club do the work. I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 12:19 am

My problem with forcing is to see my shot goes... on power slice..... sigh....

I realize after talking to my colleagues today, when i force a shot, the lower body tends to move faster than upper body. As a result, you will see your lower of half of the body tuning then follow by the body. The energy on forcing this shot only manage to get you into a power slice

Last edited by Khorkar on Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Why force? Let the club do the work.   Why force? Let the club do the work. I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 8:49 am

I opted for 3/4 swings with my irons yesterday and was pleased with the results. Greater consistency and not much difference in terms of actual distance. Also, less exhaustion overall.

Easy does it... let the clubs work for you instead Smile
Back to top Go down
chocoman
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
chocoman

PostSubject: Re: Why force? Let the club do the work.   Why force? Let the club do the work. I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 11:15 am

Technospaz wrote:
This is something which I've heard before. We pay so much money for good gear and yet, use as much brute force as possible to hit the ball. The clubs are designed to work for us so why force it?

More recently, my golfguru (Fabulous) imparted this tip to me again. Take it easy. Forcing the shot, i.e. over-accelerating in the downswing will give power but reduces accuracy. Take a steady swing and let the club do the work.

I tried this in my game on Saturday and was pleased with the results. I admit that I still want to give the ball a good whack, which is not an uncommon desire. However, given that I'm still a below-average golfer, my accuracy and swing isn't up to par which means that I need to focus more on getting good contact than greater distance.

This is something I need to remind myself for future games. I felt that I enjoyed the game more. Wasn't superlong, but at least I was able to keep most of my shots on the fairway or on (or close to) the green.

Thanks, fabulous - great tip!! The results? Almost broke 90 Wink (and it's been a long while since I came close)

Anyone with a similar approach to this sport?

and dun foirget pain is pleasure too Laughing
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Why force? Let the club do the work.   Why force? Let the club do the work. I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 2:23 pm

Pain is pleasure - that's your motto, choco Smile
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Why force? Let the club do the work.   Why force? Let the club do the work. I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 3:20 pm

i agree, nowadays i oso try to swing as easy as possible and juz tht tad bit of "firmness"...

but always there will be a few shots in the round tht 1 "sub-conciously" whack the ball... heehee

but i do come across golfers tht play with force....but in a consistent way... well juz say tht i witness it yest..... hoo ho..270m drive....... u tell me to swing effortlessly and got tht 270m drive? i dun believe... heehee juz kidding...
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: Why force? Let the club do the work.   Why force? Let the club do the work. I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 3:28 pm

Seriously, this may sound a bit ignorant, why can I get swing aggressively and get longer distance instead needing to swing easy?
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Why force? Let the club do the work.   Why force? Let the club do the work. I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 3:51 pm

bro KK, perhaps i m still beginner trying to swing more consistent.... Smile

swinging easy to attain 80% of the distance i can achieve but my shots will be in play more compare to when i swing agressively....

moreover for <130m in, i cant find the advantage of swing agressively too... so might as well swing easy for all... to make it more simple...

Smile well, tht's juz my opinion...
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Why force? Let the club do the work.   Why force? Let the club do the work. I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 5:33 pm

JT - don't be so humble. You are not a beginner. At worst, you're a good novice golfer Smile

I'm working on a more controlled swing for my shorter irons. Will focus on landing a good blow on the ball, rather than driving for distance. With a good blow, I can achieve greater accuracy and spin (as if!).
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Why force? Let the club do the work.   Why force? Let the club do the work. I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 6:38 pm

wow i am flattered bro.... good novice player....

i think i m slightly better and more important abit more experience compare to beginner.. at least i know i can join any flight with anyone without delaying them... not so much on how well i play but i will definitely try not to slow them down... Smile

guess the most important thing for beginner is to learn how not to delay play and at the same time enjoy the game. Smile
Back to top Go down
joleelyn
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
joleelyn

PostSubject: Re: Why force? Let the club do the work.   Why force? Let the club do the work. I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 6:48 pm

i always have the urge to 'jump' as i do the downswing to get more 'strength'... lol think i need to change to a men's set soon. my clubs are too short and light..compromising my distance so i tend to force the shot and my whole night would be full of just bad hits..
Back to top Go down
hardrock
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
hardrock

PostSubject: Re: Why force? Let the club do the work.   Why force? Let the club do the work. I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 7:00 pm

joleelyn wrote:
i always have the urge to 'jump' as i do the downswing to get more 'strength'... lol think i need to change to a men's set soon. my clubs are too short and light..compromising my distance so i tend to force the shot and my whole night would be full of just bad hits..

same too sometime i had his problem.. but u hv to try to relax your downswing
Back to top Go down
joleelyn
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
joleelyn

PostSubject: Re: Why force? Let the club do the work.   Why force? Let the club do the work. I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 7:03 pm

no la. i think i'm frustrated. cos i know i should be hitting longer. but coaches/people have told me that my irons are too short. i should have bought a men's set to begin with. lol! then maybe i'll stop jumping to give myself the extra strength. lol.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why force? Let the club do the work.   Why force? Let the club do the work. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why force? Let the club do the work.
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next