Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Lynx Black Cat irons.. suitable for beginner?

Go down 
+6
Lamts18
jaketang
Ssquirrel
Khorkar
Technospaz
evo5555
10 posters
AuthorMessage
evo5555
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Lynx Black Cat irons.. suitable for beginner? Empty
PostSubject: Lynx Black Cat irons.. suitable for beginner?   Lynx Black Cat irons.. suitable for beginner? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2009 5:48 pm

Hi fellow mates, would like to check if its worthwhile to get this set of Lynx black cat irons? 10 pcs from 3-9, A, P & S.. Clubs by Mitsubishi with graphite regular shafts.. selling at $100.. Smile comes with bag.. condition of the irons as per pic provided by seller below..

as im new to golf, never really heard of this brand lynx black cat.. is it ok to use for a start?

appreciate if fellow mates here does provide some advice.. thx..

Lynx Black Cat irons.. suitable for beginner? CIMG0001
Lynx Black Cat irons.. suitable for beginner? CIMG0008
Lynx Black Cat irons.. suitable for beginner? CIMG0013
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Lynx Black Cat irons.. suitable for beginner?   Lynx Black Cat irons.. suitable for beginner? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2009 6:21 pm

This is a tough question as I've not heard of Lynx clubs either though I have Lynx golf balls. On the assumption that the Lynx clubs aren't as good/forgiving as the more popular brands, then it's a toss-up:

1. You spend less but may not enjoy the game as much. Because you don't enjoy the game as much, you may not like in the long-term and won't end up spending more on a good set.

2. You can spend more on a good/forgiving set but may end up enjoying the game more. Because of this, you'll like the game more in the long-term and the set will last you longer.

I would recommend going with a better/more reputable set which is forgiving. Take a look at the previous 2 months' issues of Golf Asia where they do a review of iron sets. You'll see which iron sets are worthwhile exploring for a beginner.

That being said, $100 is not a lot to spend on a set of clubs. In fact, it's a good price to get you "started." If you do pick this one up, just bear in mind that you may want to consider a better set once you're more familiar with the game.

HTH.
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: Lynx Black Cat irons.. suitable for beginner?   Lynx Black Cat irons.. suitable for beginner? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2009 7:02 pm

For 100 with bag... I dont see reason not too. If your are beginner, this is a first and probably will last you for a 6-12 months before you look for a change. In term of depreciation - 8 plus per month is pretty good.
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

PostSubject: Re: Lynx Black Cat irons.. suitable for beginner?   Lynx Black Cat irons.. suitable for beginner? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2009 7:09 pm

I think it's ok for $100 to start off with. They look like pretty decent clubs.
Lynx golf is an old brand but was acquired by Golfsmith. So it's actually a line of Golfsmith now. I think i still have an old Lynx Black Cat driver at home.
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Lynx Black Cat irons.. suitable for beginner?   Lynx Black Cat irons.. suitable for beginner? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2009 7:38 pm

i think depends on the model of this set too... is it old or new model...

i remb a fren who started off with this brand too.....not so forgiving n the technology doesn't seems good...

maybe good enuff to start off but do expect too much on it...
Back to top Go down
evo5555
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Lynx Black Cat irons.. suitable for beginner?   Lynx Black Cat irons.. suitable for beginner? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2009 7:58 pm

seems like it doesnt sound too good.. Sad

seller willing to throw in a ping Si3 driver 10* also an imitation 2balls odyssey putter.. Smile

so that should get me started for the game.. yup understand that most of the current irons set are now more forgiving compared to few years back irons set.. but its gonna cost me more ranging from 300+ to 1K even for a 2nd hand set..

anyway thx alot for the advices.. u guys are really helpful enuf to explain.. hoping i could learn more new things on GR.. Smile
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: Lynx Black Cat irons.. suitable for beginner?   Lynx Black Cat irons.. suitable for beginner? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2009 9:21 pm

This is a good set la.... last saw them at Pan West many many years ago .... $100 cant complain la .... buy la.... but check carefully the condition first ....

Freddy Couples used to play Lynx .... the old men among us will remember ...

Last edited by Lamts18 on Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: Lynx Black Cat irons.. suitable for beginner?   Lynx Black Cat irons.. suitable for beginner? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2009 9:24 pm

Ssquirrel wrote:
Lynx golf is an old brand but was acquired by Golfsmith. So it's actually a line of Golfsmith now. I think i still have an old Lynx Black Cat driver at home.

LOL !!! Wow .... that is antique ... i too still have a Lynx Predator hybrid iron which i scored my HIO in 1994 ...
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

PostSubject: Re: Lynx Black Cat irons.. suitable for beginner?   Lynx Black Cat irons.. suitable for beginner? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2009 9:39 pm

Lamts18 wrote:
Ssquirrel wrote:

LOL !!! Wow .... that is antique ... i too still have a Lynx Predator hybrid iron which i scored my HIO in 1994 ...
Hahaha bro.. you said it.. "the old men among us".....that's me!
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: Lynx Black Cat irons.. suitable for beginner?   Lynx Black Cat irons.. suitable for beginner? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2009 9:42 pm

Ssquirrel wrote:
Lamts18 wrote:
Ssquirrel wrote:

Beer
older and hopefully a little bit wiser ...
Cheers and have a good weekend
Back to top Go down
ironfist
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
ironfist

PostSubject: Re: Lynx Black Cat irons.. suitable for beginner?   Lynx Black Cat irons.. suitable for beginner? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2009 10:51 pm

haha i have an old super dinged lynx putter! haha but 100 bucks is a very good price.
Back to top Go down
evo5555
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Lynx Black Cat irons.. suitable for beginner?   Lynx Black Cat irons.. suitable for beginner? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2009 11:30 pm

Ssquirrel wrote:
Lamts18 wrote:
Ssquirrel wrote:

haha... so when i bring this set to range.. ppl might be scratchin their head wonderin where the h*ll did i dig out this grandfathers set..

u guys are wonderful & knowledgable.. Smile

cant wait to meet up wif u guys..
Back to top Go down
Linch
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Linch

PostSubject: Re: Lynx Black Cat irons.. suitable for beginner?   Lynx Black Cat irons.. suitable for beginner? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2009 11:46 pm

I think this is good, cheap enough for a good start
Back to top Go down
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/indoprof-golf/
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: Lynx Black Cat irons.. suitable for beginner?   Lynx Black Cat irons.. suitable for beginner? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2009 11:47 pm

Bro Evo5555 , you driving a Evo ? Very Happy wonder if you also at the evo sg forum ...
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Lynx Black Cat irons.. suitable for beginner?   Lynx Black Cat irons.. suitable for beginner? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 12:02 am

Nostalgia On Green

I played my Lynx Black Cat Tours for a good 6 years back in the 90s. Its still sitting pretty at home. Bought it from Pan West.

Loved the brand cos of EE and Freddie.

Their Parallax irons were also pretty good.
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: Lynx Black Cat irons.. suitable for beginner?   Lynx Black Cat irons.. suitable for beginner? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 12:05 am

Bring back the memories ... Tiger Shark clubs were good too .... Pan West caries them too way back in the early 90s .. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Lynx Black Cat irons.. suitable for beginner?   Lynx Black Cat irons.. suitable for beginner? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 12:08 am

but actually if the player is good....

simi iron oso can hit.... juz tht the task will be harder...
Back to top Go down
evo5555
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Lynx Black Cat irons.. suitable for beginner?   Lynx Black Cat irons.. suitable for beginner? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 12:09 am

Lamts18 wrote:
Bro Evo5555 , you driving a Evo ? Very Happy wonder if you also at the evo sg forum ...

haha.. i wish... me drivin a humble korean car....
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Lynx Black Cat irons.. suitable for beginner?   Lynx Black Cat irons.. suitable for beginner? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 12:18 am

Tiger Shark clubs with their 'stripe grooved sole' were quite interesting Mr Lam. That was the era too where TM were churning out quality clubs like System 2, Oversize series, Bubble shaft and their old Raylor fairway woods Beer
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: Lynx Black Cat irons.. suitable for beginner?   Lynx Black Cat irons.. suitable for beginner? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 12:39 am

S70B wrote:
Tiger Shark clubs with their 'stripe grooved sole' were quite interesting Mr Lam. That was the era too where TM were churning out quality clubs like System 2, Oversize series, Bubble shaft and their old Raylor fairway woods Beer

Yes Sir, those were the days ... i hesitated buying them way back as they look like a bunker rake ... i would have gotten a antique set of irons now, come to think of it .. Laughing
Back to top Go down
rocky
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
rocky

PostSubject: Re: Lynx Black Cat irons.. suitable for beginner?   Lynx Black Cat irons.. suitable for beginner? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 12:42 am

Evo5555:

Someone of great golfing knowledge once said this to me:

"If, today, I don't know anything about computers and I wish to learn. Are you going to teach me on a 486 or are you going to teach it to me on a P4?"

The technology in golf clubs have changed tremendously in the past 10 years. I started golf when I was 12. Then, clubs looked the same between 1 model and the other. They had little colour and very little style. The shoes had these long metal spikes which were difficult to walk with. Drivers then did not have that melodic "piang" that rings down your flight mate's spines. Fast forward to the present and we have all these beautiful, shiny clubs that you can customize as and when you like. To add to it, the feel of the today's clubs are phenomenal.

What I'm trying to say is, don't let equipment deter you in enjoying the game. If you need lessons, get some. If you need to try clubs, go try. If you want to try specific models, some forum members are cool to let you try.

The fact that you are on this forum shows that you have substantial interest in the game and desire more from this beautiful game. I strongly believe that if you start this game on the right note, you will go a very long way. At least I did.

Good luck.
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: Lynx Black Cat irons.. suitable for beginner?   Lynx Black Cat irons.. suitable for beginner? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 12:44 am

rocky wrote:
Evo5555:

"If, today, I don't know anything about computers and I wish to learn. Are you going to teach me on a 486 or are you going to teach it to me on a P4?"

The technology in golf clubs have changed tremendously in the past 10 years. I started golf when I was 12. Then, clubs looked the same between 1 model and the other. They had little colour and very little style. The shoes had these long metal spikes which were difficult to walk with. Drivers then did not have that melodic "piang" that rings down your flight mate's spines. Fast forward to the present and we have all these beautiful, shiny clubs that you can customize as and when you like. To add to it, the feel of the today's clubs are phenomenal.

What I'm trying to say is, don't let equipment deter you in enjoying the game. If you need lessons, get some. If you need to try clubs, go try. If you want to try specific models, some forum members are cool to let you try.

The fact that you are on this forum shows that you have substantial interest in the game and desire more from this beautiful game. I strongly believe that if you start this game on the right note, you will go a very long way. At least I did.

Good luck.

Well said , Rocky ... Beer
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Lynx Black Cat irons.. suitable for beginner?   Lynx Black Cat irons.. suitable for beginner? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 8:01 am

rocky wrote:
Evo5555:

Good luck.

Hear Hear!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lynx Black Cat irons.. suitable for beginner?   Lynx Black Cat irons.. suitable for beginner? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lynx Black Cat irons.. suitable for beginner?
Page 1 of 1