Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

True Temper DG vs NS Pro 950GH

Go down 
+29
ghoonk
HyBriD
Roystonnn
acidic88
zixter
Technospaz
sgdaniel
sandkie
Lee36328
jfactor67
Derek
duffader
nutty88
DGman
jurongtiger
Kookk
TigaWood
eiji
pocketace
rsenal
abadan
Duval_S
Khorkar
mizzy
Turbo
guy013
TheFocalPoint
Aloyboy
33 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
guy013
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
guy013

True Temper DG vs NS Pro 950GH - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: True Temper DG vs NS Pro 950GH   True Temper DG vs NS Pro 950GH - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 4:12 pm

nutty88 wrote:
@Guy, you fat??! You must be kidding.

Give it a try on the course before you decide because hitting it off the mats and on course can feel very different. Personally I have tried both and realized that it is simply too heavy for me. I have had a hard time releasing the clubs on the back nine that I kept pushing it. If the weight is fine with you, then it shouldn't be an issue. What I like about the PX is the ball flight as I ballooned with NSPRO.

yup just had my 2nd round with the PX today and felt better already. maybe the last round was really a bad swing day.

considering pulling the shafts and fitting to my MP53s before Sunday's game. should be better cos the Mizuno heads are lie adjusted to my height.

so far weight hasnt been an issue for me at all.

Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
nutty88

PostSubject: Re: True Temper DG vs NS Pro 950GH   True Temper DG vs NS Pro 950GH - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 4:37 pm

duffader wrote:
Haha, first time I see a miura classify as harsh.... Lee... Wru?

But in terms of shaft for the two, I will choose nspro for sure.

Feel is a subjective thing you know.
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: True Temper DG vs NS Pro 950GH   True Temper DG vs NS Pro 950GH - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 4:48 pm

nutty88 wrote:
duffader wrote:

I see..... No wonder cast irons feel soft to me too when I strike them well.
Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
nutty88

PostSubject: Re: True Temper DG vs NS Pro 950GH   True Temper DG vs NS Pro 950GH - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 4:59 pm

duffader wrote:
nutty88 wrote:
duffader wrote:

Actually I am not so much a 'feel' person (except for weight) but more a visual type. What is important to me is the look of the clubs at address as opposed to the buttery feel that others sort after.

I have to agree with you though that cast irons do feel soft too when hit well and I thought I am the only one. Beer
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: True Temper DG vs NS Pro 950GH   True Temper DG vs NS Pro 950GH - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 5:52 pm

If you hit a Miura even slightly thin ... they will feel very very harsh ... sort of the reason why I use a 6 hybrid ....
Back to top Go down
jfactor67
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: True Temper DG vs NS Pro 950GH   True Temper DG vs NS Pro 950GH - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2011 10:48 am

Guy

Do u experience losing distance with the nspro due to the high flight.
I feel I lose 5 -10m but like the shot dispersion compare to graphite.
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: True Temper DG vs NS Pro 950GH   True Temper DG vs NS Pro 950GH - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2011 12:20 pm

duffader wrote:

I did not see this because the title was talking abt shafts.

You're right, first time I see Miura described as harsh too... Razz
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: True Temper DG vs NS Pro 950GH   True Temper DG vs NS Pro 950GH - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2011 12:40 pm

Derek wrote:
If you hit a Miura even slightly thin ... they will feel very very harsh ... sort of the reason why I use a 6 hybrid ....

Before my Miuras, I tend to top the MP52 4-iron. As a result, seldom practice it.

After getting used to the Miura small blades, I find myself actually enjoying its 3-iron. And ironically, although I love my Adams A12 20 deg hybrid, the 3-iron distance is similar, and beginning to make the hybrid a bit redundant.

Sorry to be OT. Hmmm, I wonder why a topic about the feel of shafts started talking about the feel of forged vs cast, and then the feel of Miuras....

That said, the shafts make a big difference in the feel of the iron. Having properly fitted shaft, with a flex and profile that fits your swing, will help you get the most out of the irons, regardless of the head.
Back to top Go down
guy013
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
guy013

PostSubject: Re: True Temper DG vs NS Pro 950GH   True Temper DG vs NS Pro 950GH - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2011 12:49 pm

jfactor67 wrote:
Guy

i never used graphite before so can't really compare. my previous set was callaway big bertha steel shaft Uniflex and i hit it about the same distance as my MP53 with NS Pro 950 S. i'm prefer high ball flight as i sometimes have trouble getting into the air with my longer clubs.

that being said i'm currently replacing my NS pro with PX 5.0 flighted. so will see how it goes for tomorrow's game with the MP53 heads.

Back to top Go down
sandkie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
sandkie

PostSubject: Re: True Temper DG vs NS Pro 950GH   True Temper DG vs NS Pro 950GH - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2011 1:51 pm

nutty88 wrote:
duffader wrote:
nutty88 wrote:
duffader wrote:

Actually I am not so much a 'feel' person (except for weight) but more a visual type. What is important to me is the look of the clubs at address as opposed to the buttery feel that others sort after.

I have to agree with you though that cast irons do feel soft too when hit well and I thought I am the only one. :beer:

Phew... I thought I am the only too....
I thought I am not good enough to feel the difference because one day I tried ap2 and ap1 and they feel the same to me when hit well... (but I still think I am not good enough)...
Back to top Go down
sgdaniel
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: True Temper DG vs NS Pro 950GH   True Temper DG vs NS Pro 950GH - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2011 12:51 am

I am confused when comes to choice of iron shaft.

I've tried NSPRO950 Regular at the range. Find that they are easy to manipulate during downswing. But clubhead presence seems to be a little problem during the backswing. Need some guess work on how the clubhead is positioned when I swing it back.

On Project X 5.0, all that guesswork in clubhead in the backswing is a non-issue. Moreover, PX5.0 trajectory is lower. Cos only used it at the range, I don't know if PX5.0 shots will land softly or run about. Anyone can share on this aspect?

Someone at the range told me that my 6 iron swing speed is in the 80's. I wonder if that's accurate. I am so keen to have my swing verified. Any low cost and effective suggestions?

The elephant in the room:
Would a lighter shaft be easier to control the ball flight and hence accuracy be more important or plainly a heavier and stiffer shaft produce better accuracy?

I read somewhere in this forum that a fitter recommends the stiffest shaft the golfer can swing. I fear I might break a lot of body parts if I go for that advice. Since I reckon that I need to practise a lot to get accustomed to the new iron set. Any comments?

Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: True Temper DG vs NS Pro 950GH   True Temper DG vs NS Pro 950GH - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2011 1:15 am

sgdaniel wrote:

On Project X 5.0, all that guesswork in clubhead in the backswing is a non-issue. Moreover, PX5.0 trajectory is lower. Cos only used it at the range, I don't know if PX5.0 shots will land softly or run about. Anyone can share on this aspect?

Depends on how high you launch. The higher you launch, the more they stick. The lower, the more they roll.

sgdaniel wrote:

The elephant in the room:
Would a lighter shaft be easier to control the ball flight and hence accuracy be more important or plainly a heavier and stiffer shaft produce better accuracy?

You answered your question in the first part of your post re feeling the clubhead. If you can't feel the clubhead, how are you going to be accurate?

sgdaniel wrote:

I read somewhere in this forum that a fitter recommends the stiffest shaft the golfer can swing. I fear I might break a lot of body parts if I go for that advice. Since I reckon that I need to practise a lot to get accustomed to the new iron set. Any comments?

See my previous comment above.

If the swing is fundamentally sound, a heavy stiff shaft will feel light, almost like graphite.

If not, even a light shaft can feel stiff.

I am from the "as heavy AND stiff as you can manage" school of thought. I went from Project X 5.5 to 6.0. Now, I am finding even 6.0 not heavy enough, not stiff enough, as my swing gets more grooved in.

There is also have another school of thought. "Golf is so difficult, why make it more difficult? It's just a social game, I only play on weekends, where got time to practice so much...?" etc. If you're in this camp, go as light as you need.

Here's the key point. Both camps are right, because the thinking behind them is a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: True Temper DG vs NS Pro 950GH   True Temper DG vs NS Pro 950GH - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2011 7:01 am

jfactor67 wrote:
Guy

I just moved from NS Pro GH950 (SR) to Project X 5.0 High Launch. Looks like I'm getting more distance with the latter.
Back to top Go down
zixter
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: True Temper DG vs NS Pro 950GH   True Temper DG vs NS Pro 950GH - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2011 8:45 am

Technospaz wrote:
jfactor67 wrote:
Guy

I just moved from NS Pro GH950 (SR) to Project X 5.0 High Launch. Looks like I'm getting more distance with the latter.

May I know what prompted you to change? By club fitter advice or just personal feel? I am using ns pro now and always wonder if I can do better with px.. My concern is the weight .. I tested true temper dg and ns pro of my irons and the difference in weight is huge ... Don't dare to take the leap of faith
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: True Temper DG vs NS Pro 950GH   True Temper DG vs NS Pro 950GH - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2011 8:56 am

zixter wrote:
Technospaz wrote:
jfactor67 wrote:
Guy

May I know what prompted you to change? By club fitter advice or just personal feel? I am using ns pro now and always wonder if I can do better with px.. My concern is the weight .. I tested true temper dg and ns pro of my irons and the difference in weight is huge ... Don't dare to take the leap of faith

Just personal feel. I wanted a heavier shaft. And the High Launch variant (which is the precursor to the PX Flighted shafts) was intended to give me more height. I've only used the new shafts once but I've been quite pleased so far.
Back to top Go down
acidic88
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: True Temper DG vs NS Pro 950GH   True Temper DG vs NS Pro 950GH - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2011 1:36 pm

Hi TS, I'm using R9 with NSPRO R flex. The problem is I'm getting very high (and I mean really high) launch. Ball trajectory looks like a motar. Have been toying with the idea of changing shafts and I'm looking at PX 5.0. Still wondering the difference between their normal vs flighted versions. Key worry, weight of PX. Sad
Back to top Go down
sgdaniel
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: True Temper DG vs NS Pro 950GH   True Temper DG vs NS Pro 950GH - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2011 12:12 am

BTW, is high ball launch a sign that we are improving on our hits?

Back to top Go down
sgdaniel
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: True Temper DG vs NS Pro 950GH   True Temper DG vs NS Pro 950GH - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2011 12:33 am

Lee36328 wrote:

Depends on how high you launch. The higher you launch, the more they stick. The lower, the more they roll.
I try to draw with longer irons like #4 & #5 to gain some distance. They do run. The straighter shots seems to only hop about a meter or less.

Lee36328 wrote:

You answered your question in the first part of your post re feeling the clubhead. If you can't feel the clubhead, how are you going to be accurate?
Should I jump straight to PX6.0 and train the hell out of it until my body breaks? Think my TCM sinsei will like me more. I go to range almost everyday now.

Lee36328 wrote:

I am from the "as heavy AND stiff as you can manage" school of thought. I went from Project X 5.5 to 6.0. Now, I am finding even 6.0 not heavy enough, not stiff enough, as my swing gets more grooved in.
May I check if your PX 6.0 #6 carries 178 yards (~162m) as indicated in KBS website? Do those shots run plenty or land soft on the green? I notice the data on KBS indicates that it launches at 10 deg (could be typo error on website, may meant 20deg) for #6 while C-taper launches at 18.7 deg. Would this means that C-taper will land softer while at the same time gain 4 yards as advertised?

Lee36328 wrote:

Here's the key point. Both camps are right, because the thinking behind them is a self-fulfilling prophecy.
I'm beginning to lean towards your camp. Smile
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: True Temper DG vs NS Pro 950GH   True Temper DG vs NS Pro 950GH - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2011 7:09 am

acidic88 wrote:
Hi TS, I'm using R9 with NSPRO R flex. The problem is I'm getting very high (and I mean really high) launch. Ball trajectory looks like a motar. Have been toying with the idea of changing shafts and I'm looking at PX 5.0. Still wondering the difference between their normal vs flighted versions. Key worry, weight of PX. Sad

That was a concern of mine too. But I didn't find the 20g+ to be too much of an issue. I actually liked the fact that it felt heavier and that I could feel the club. I should add that I've only gamed them once AND they were affixed with different iron heads so collectively, I was playing with new clubs altogether. As such, my opinion may not be a fair representation of the move from NS Pro to PX.

What's your swing speed? You should go to a fitter and they may be able to give you better guidance as to whether the PXs will work for you.
Back to top Go down
acidic88
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: True Temper DG vs NS Pro 950GH   True Temper DG vs NS Pro 950GH - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2011 12:54 pm

TS, thanks for the inputs. Different iron heads? Hmm.. sounds like cavity (long irons) to blade (short irons) combo. I have tried a couple of swings using PX5 and didn't mind the heavier weight. But I wonder if I can last 18 holes with them.

My swing speed is quite slow, 92mph for driver (not sure for iron). Was recommended C-taper by DGman a couple of months ago. Do you have any experience with GH fitting @suntec?
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: True Temper DG vs NS Pro 950GH   True Temper DG vs NS Pro 950GH - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2011 1:07 pm

Not the GH at Suntec but I got my MX-300s fitted by GH at Marina Square.

And I changed from cavs to blades so the new iron heads may have had something to do with the ball flight etc.
Back to top Go down
Roystonnn
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: True Temper DG vs NS Pro 950GH   True Temper DG vs NS Pro 950GH - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2011 1:57 pm

I am considerin changin my nspro950 R to stiff n heavier shaft.

But still duno if i should jus change shaft or change the whole club.. Been in this dilemna for quite sometime..
Back to top Go down
HyBriD
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
HyBriD

PostSubject: Re: True Temper DG vs NS Pro 950GH   True Temper DG vs NS Pro 950GH - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2011 4:30 pm

just my 5 cent idea...

I agree with Duval's comment.
One of the exciting part and thrill about playing Golf is "you can modify" your Golf toys according what you liked as long as you can pay.

@ Guy013, listening to a club fitter is a sound idea if you are not a equipment junkie.

But if your one of those who want to experienced and feel what's all the fuss about this and that. Then trying all shaft brands would be a nice one to know and experienced.

Nippon shaft are made for a certain market of people who are shorter and not physically strong. And True Temper were made for the Big Caucasians who were stronger and Bigger.

This is why perhaps your club fitter recommended you to used NS Pro than the heavy TT DG shaft.. Because its the best for your swing speed and for a better end game result.

In my own case. I can say that I have tested and experienced all the steel shaft in the market. NS TT dynamic gold and TT T lite shaft and PX

All i can say is I liked a heavier shaft for my short irons and lighter weight for my Long and Mid irons for distance.

You can mix your shaft, like True Temper shaft for your 8,9, Pw irons and NS Pro shaft for your 5,6,7iron and see which one works for you...

and enjoy playing Golf
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/pnchung
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: True Temper DG vs NS Pro 950GH   True Temper DG vs NS Pro 950GH - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2011 4:57 pm

not always true leh.

a shaft can feel really good but dispersion and distance may not be optimized.

Case in point - i love the feel of KBS shafts in S flex but truth is that I get more accuracy and distance with the R shafts. I also love the feel of the satin PX shafts, but i lose distance for accuracy.

A good fitter would be able to get you to try different shafts and be able to help you find a shaft that optimizes your swing mechanics for accuracy and distance.

Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: True Temper DG vs NS Pro 950GH   True Temper DG vs NS Pro 950GH - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2011 5:09 pm

Ghoonk! U r back?!?!?

Btw, @HyBriD, Guy013 is not a small Asian leh... Hehehehe
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: True Temper DG vs NS Pro 950GH   True Temper DG vs NS Pro 950GH - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

True Temper DG vs NS Pro 950GH
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next