Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

I want to recognize Women's or is it Ladies......golf

Go down 
+13
S70B
nientsu
blee67
DGman
freedrop
pushslice
eiji
Begbie
golfjoy
Technospaz
asahi
Schulo
Duval_S
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

I want to recognize Women's or is it Ladies......golf Empty
PostSubject: I want to recognize Women's or is it Ladies......golf   I want to recognize Women's or is it Ladies......golf I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 10:00 am

Congrats to Yani !!!!
Back to top Go down
Schulo
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Schulo

PostSubject: Re: I want to recognize Women's or is it Ladies......golf   I want to recognize Women's or is it Ladies......golf I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 10:06 am

My fellow country(man)lady Dewi-Claire Schreefel finished T11.
Really good job by her, considering she has only a partial lpga card and is mostly playing on the futures tour!
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: I want to recognize Women's or is it Ladies......golf   I want to recognize Women's or is it Ladies......golf I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 10:06 am

Yea! HYP rocks!
Laughing

But yes, congrats to Yanni; youngest golfer (men or women) to reach 5 majors.
Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: I want to recognize Women's or is it Ladies......golf   I want to recognize Women's or is it Ladies......golf I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 10:07 am

She's amazing! Frankly, I didn't think much of her game before but she has proven to be an awesome golfer. Congrats!! Smile
Back to top Go down
golfjoy
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: I want to recognize Women's or is it Ladies......golf   I want to recognize Women's or is it Ladies......golf I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 10:17 am

Duval_S wrote:
Congrats to Yani !!!!

I adore her I love you .... (for a moment I thought I had turned les 'cos she's kinda .... boyish Laughing )

Peace
Back to top Go down
Begbie
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: I want to recognize Women's or is it Ladies......golf   I want to recognize Women's or is it Ladies......golf I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 12:40 pm

She is now T-13 for all time record for most no. of majors won. She has great potential to break the 15 major record by Patty Berg...

Go Yanni!!
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: I want to recognize Women's or is it Ladies......golf   I want to recognize Women's or is it Ladies......golf I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2011 9:25 am

Dear Golf Channel....yes, that's you ,,,,the golf channel (the golf news show) which is currently shown on StarHub 213 channel......

Are you a golf channel dedicated to golf ...or is it more specifically to PGA -focus golf channel?

Yes you...the golf channel on channel 213....just wanted to share with you that I am quite piss that instead of showing Yani winning her 5th major making her the youngest human to win 5 majors....you had instead shown greenbier as your main cover story !!!!!! yeah...i know..rookie winning is nice..but pls..have some reality PLS !!!! 5th major ...vs. rookie

but if you have PGA in your heart...then say so...that s fine....coz I really tot you are for golf..

by the way, if you are wondering...I am a guy...

so you..the golf channel...wats up with this????

yours sincerely..and golf-equality-ly........

D

Last edited by Duval_S on Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: I want to recognize Women's or is it Ladies......golf   I want to recognize Women's or is it Ladies......golf I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2011 9:28 am

I was watching Yanni winning on Mio's ESPN all over the last weekend
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: I want to recognize Women's or is it Ladies......golf   I want to recognize Women's or is it Ladies......golf I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2011 9:34 am

btw, which majors are shown on the Golf Channel?

they have this show called "LIVE from THE MASTERS" or "LIVE from the OPEN" and all I see is brandle chambleis and frank nobilo commentating, with maybe less than 10 minutes of overall play showed.
Back to top Go down
freedrop
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
freedrop

PostSubject: Re: I want to recognize Women's or is it Ladies......golf   I want to recognize Women's or is it Ladies......golf I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2011 9:37 am

I am with you Duval. I'd rather watch Yani came from behind and made history than to watch some angmo roookie I have never heard of.

Despite the 10-year agreement between LPGA and The Golf Channel (http://www.lpga.com/content_1.aspx?pid=18739&mid=1), TGC chose to carry live PGA event vs LPGA event, mainly because LPGA is on the way down in USA, with half of the top 100 players coming from Asia (meaning Korea). That's the reason why the LPGA British Open was telecast by ESPN and not TGC. And in our stupid country run by brain-dead president's scholars, we end up having to split our sports channels between Starhub and Singtel, at least for now. I tried to watch online, but off and on someone stepped in and stopped the streaming with copyright violation threats.

Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: I want to recognize Women's or is it Ladies......golf   I want to recognize Women's or is it Ladies......golf I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2011 9:40 am

@ Bro Pushslice...keep this a secret...do you think I will now be popular among the ladies golfers ....since I am cheering for them?
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: I want to recognize Women's or is it Ladies......golf   I want to recognize Women's or is it Ladies......golf I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2011 9:44 am

Duval_S wrote:
@ Bro Pushslice...keep this a secret...do you think I will now be popular among the ladies golfers ....since I am cheering for them?

are you thinking about some M&A: Bad Girls division?

Top free agent targets:
- JL
- Frostee
- Ping

Laughing
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: I want to recognize Women's or is it Ladies......golf   I want to recognize Women's or is it Ladies......golf I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2011 9:48 am

i have a friend who work for ESPN. they prefer to broadcast via Starhub because of higher viewrship but the other TV channel got the rights because of higher bid. so now its lose-lose-lose.

lose viewership, lose loyalty, lose revenue due to low subscription - in the end it seems everyone lose. even if they win on a higher bid, they lost the opportunity to command a higher premium from advertising dollars.

thats media freedom for you.

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: I want to recognize Women's or is it Ladies......golf   I want to recognize Women's or is it Ladies......golf I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2011 9:51 am

pushslice wrote:
Duval_S wrote:

are you thinking about some M&A: Bad Girls division?

Top free agent targets:
- JL
- Frostee
- Ping

Laughing

Not forgeting Mloy hor... Evil or Very Mad
ROFL
Back to top Go down
Begbie
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: I want to recognize Women's or is it Ladies......golf   I want to recognize Women's or is it Ladies......golf I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2011 9:55 am

freedrop wrote:
I am with you Duval. I'd rather watch Yani came from behind and made history than to watch some angmo roookie I have never heard of.

Despite the 10-year agreement between LPGA and The Golf Channel (http://www.lpga.com/content_1.aspx?pid=18739&mid=1), TGC chose to carry live PGA event vs LPGA event, mainly because LPGA is on the way down in USA, with half of the top 100 players coming from Asia (meaning Korea). That's the reason why the LPGA British Open was telecast by ESPN and not TGC. And in our stupid country run by brain-dead president's scholars, we end up having to split our sports channels between Starhub and Singtel, at least for now. I tried to watch online, but off and on someone stepped in and stopped the streaming with copyright violation threats.

LPGA now is starting to appear like (ALPGA, Asian ladies Player Golf Association).. Everywhere I see Koreans, Chinese, Taiwanese, Japanese. and even their american superstar Michelle Wie also of Korean ancestry.. I like!!!

Anyways, if U watch any of their press interviews when they hold co-sanction tournaments in asia, they will always say things like ..."PGA is trying to promote golf into asia and create awareness of golf etc etc..."

Now that Asian golfers are coming up and strong, they focus instead on PGA where americans are still flying their flags....

Back to top Go down
freedrop
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
freedrop

PostSubject: Re: I want to recognize Women's or is it Ladies......golf   I want to recognize Women's or is it Ladies......golf I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2011 10:03 am

Just like you like to watch M Wie and her long legs, instead of Laura Davis and her...., the Americans want to see more good looking angmo LPGA winners. Unfortunately for Yani, she is the best, most dominant golfer now, but she will never get the attention nor endorsement which M Wie is being showered with, simply because of her look and her masculine demeanor. She swings her clubs like a man, walks like a man, and talks like a man, how attractive can she be? I suspect the secret to winning LPGA events lies in how much male hormones is flowing in an LPGA player's body.
Back to top Go down
freedrop
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
freedrop

PostSubject: Re: I want to recognize Women's or is it Ladies......golf   I want to recognize Women's or is it Ladies......golf I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2011 10:20 am

DGman wrote:
i have a friend who work for ESPN. they prefer to broadcast via Starhub because of higher viewrship but the other TV channel got the rights because of higher bid. so now its lose-lose-lose.

lose viewership, lose loyalty, lose revenue due to low subscription - in the end it seems everyone lose. even if they win on a higher bid, they lost the opportunity to command a higher premium from advertising dollars.

thats media freedom for you.

DGman

People who made higher bids are the ones brain dead, and therefore did not know how to calculate these common sense figures. And those in the regulatory body who have no foresight in their policies.
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: I want to recognize Women's or is it Ladies......golf   I want to recognize Women's or is it Ladies......golf I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2011 11:41 am

eiji wrote:
I was watching Yanni winning on Mio's ESPN all over the last weekend

Hiaz.....I was watching and hoping to catch more of HYP but alas..... pale
Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

PostSubject: Re: I want to recognize Women's or is it Ladies......golf   I want to recognize Women's or is it Ladies......golf I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2011 11:47 am

freedrop wrote:
Just like you like to watch M Wie and her long legs, instead of Laura Davis and her...., the Americans want to see more good looking angmo LPGA winners. Unfortunately for Yani, she is the best, most dominant golfer now, but she will never get the attention nor endorsement which M Wie is being showered with, simply because of her look and her masculine demeanor. She swings her clubs like a man, walks like a man, and talks like a man, how attractive can she be? I suspect the secret to winning LPGA events lies in how much male hormones is flowing in an LPGA player's body.

On the contrary, i kind of disagree with you. If LPGA is smart enuff, they would use Yanni to break into the china mkt. Some might say, yea, she is Taiwanese. But i dont think it really matters cos so long the chinese, or the asains can see someone that they can relate to, interest will build.
Back to top Go down
freedrop
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
freedrop

PostSubject: Re: I want to recognize Women's or is it Ladies......golf   I want to recognize Women's or is it Ladies......golf I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2011 1:12 pm

You need to know the political landscape across Taiwan vs China.

On Monday, all major Taiwanese papers put Yani's photo and significant space on her success on front pages.

Most of the Chinese (mainland) papers only dedicated small columns in sports page.

What happened?

Around last year China offered US$30m for a 5 year sponsorship of Yani in her golf career. Yani turned that down. She cannot accept the condition of Chinese citizenship, although there were rumours that she was frustrated with Taiwanese government's lack of interests in funding her LPGA career.

Since then, no papers in China want to promote her. They still report her successes, but will not celebrate it.

On your point of LPGA using Yani to break into China. First, as I explained above, China is not that gungho about a Taiwanese, unless she gives up Taiwanese citizenship.

Second, ladies golf market is still very small in China, nowhere near Korea or Japan, or Europe. Inspite of golf being a future Olympics event, China has not shown any interests in this sports yet, men or women. Central government is still investigating 70% of the golf courses that were built last 10 years illegally in China.

Even in USA, LPGA is losing sponsorship and TV ratings in USA because top players are dominated by Asians.

Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

PostSubject: Re: I want to recognize Women's or is it Ladies......golf   I want to recognize Women's or is it Ladies......golf I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2011 1:16 pm

Good info abt the china investigating golf courses?

Din know she was offered 30m sponsorhip for a China Citizen. But, as long as you have someone you can associate with as some sort of a sporting hero, shouldnt that shouldnt that break all political barriers that exist? Always tot that itself should be enuff.
Back to top Go down
freedrop
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
freedrop

PostSubject: Re: I want to recognize Women's or is it Ladies......golf   I want to recognize Women's or is it Ladies......golf I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2011 2:02 pm

Sports is always linked to politics, and nationalism. See what the Malaysian fans did to the Lions at Bukit Jalil last week?

At about same time Yani turned down China's offer, one Taiwanese pool player took up China citizenship, he is now regarded a traitor in Taiwan by many.

Yani probably was afraid of this. But I have a feeling that she will take up American passport, at least the Americans may accept her in LPGA this way, the way they accept other Asian Americans, M Wie, Christina Kim, etc. Her future is in USA, not China or Taiwan. She knew that when she approached Taiwan's president Ma Yingjiou for sponsorship, and being a runner himself, Ma advised her to take up running instead. So it's better for her to run to USA.
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: I want to recognize Women's or is it Ladies......golf   I want to recognize Women's or is it Ladies......golf I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2011 5:08 pm

TGC is very different in USA.

For every PGA tournament, Thursdays and Fridays are shown on TGC. Come the weekend, the broadcast rights go to either CBS or NBC. TGC then end up showing bits of LPGA then either Champions Tour or Nationwide Tour on the wkn.

Those 'live from the Masters, US Open etc' that's shown on TGC is wat they r only allowed to do-commentary, leaderboard, interviews etc. Majors' broadcasting rights belong to ESPN except the Masters where it's still CBS.

The LPGA is in limbo right now. The British Open is even more un-watched due to the timezone diff between Europe and US. Any Champion winning at 5pm GMT is like 1pm on the East Coast, 10am Pacific Time. Ppl r out playing golf in the mornings rather than watching a tourney being played overseas. (evident in the cost of a tee time being higher in the mornings as opp to an afternoon one).

We can only hope Sg stops this nonsense of splitting 2 Majors on Mio n 2 on SCV. It's almost a joke that ESPN is no more on SCV.
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: I want to recognize Women's or is it Ladies......golf   I want to recognize Women's or is it Ladies......golf I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2011 5:50 pm

folks

ever wonder why the asian female pros can conquer the world so fast and the men dont do as well? (I know, despite KJ, YYE, Vijay but still not the same)

This is considering the asian female pro tour here does not have the equivalent of asian tour, one asia, merc benz development tour etc

Is it bcoz male game is put more emphasis on distance/power? and the western guys are plainly stronger than asians?
Back to top Go down
dtan
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
dtan

PostSubject: Re: I want to recognize Women's or is it Ladies......golf   I want to recognize Women's or is it Ladies......golf I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2011 6:02 pm

Ya totally agree. Played with Pro Adrian( South African) this morning and
on one of the par 4 he drove abt 300 meter. You can double check with
Mizzy on that.....
Back to top Go down
http://davidtnm@yahoo.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I want to recognize Women's or is it Ladies......golf   I want to recognize Women's or is it Ladies......golf I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I want to recognize Women's or is it Ladies......golf
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next