Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Recommendation on golf set for beginners - ladies

Go down 
+16
space
golfbuzz
tazziesong88
Orangeironhorse
scubawun
dorisha
silverhex
jingwei
blee67
DimWit Kid
dmateo
BabyCroc
stagedbrute
Newtogolf
nrafee
shine15
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
shine15
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Recommendation on golf set for beginners - ladies Empty
PostSubject: Recommendation on golf set for beginners - ladies   Recommendation on golf set for beginners - ladies I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 09, 2011 6:40 pm

Just completed my beginner course at marine bay golf and planning to get a budget set to play at nearby range.

was advised to get a 2nd hand set to try out before commmitting, but ladies 2nd hand set are pretty hard to find.
was told ladies seldom change their sets thus the supplies are lesser.

I'm very new to golf, thus like to get a basic affordable set in case i lose interest.

golf direct sells very budget set slagenzer, lynx and dunlop at $299. i had not heard of this brand being popular for golf? is it worth to get this set to try out?

went to far east SC - saw these jap brand like maruman, gosen. how are these 2 compare w mizuno? sorry, i'm totally clueless to golf brand except for callaway, TM, Titlelist.

creative joe - nothing much for ladies unless mix n match. only gosen v-series set at $400.

am considering
- slagenzer full set at $299
- gosen full set at $399.
- callaway solaire half set $699, full set $1200. i think golf direct selling $899 for full set?
- 2nd hand Taylormade r5XL (#5 - P & S) at $400 and get driver n putter seperately?
- wilson hope LX LRH/10A $330/$360. whats the diff?

i'm confusing myself with the the diff brand. need some inputs before i proceed to buy.
also, my frd was saying Far east SC may not be cheapest as the maruman set he saw at FESC for $900 is selling at $699 at Taka. Does isetan, taka new sets price comparable to FESC?

Last edited by shine15 on Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:01 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
nrafee
Caddy
Caddy
nrafee

PostSubject: Re: Recommendation on golf set for beginners - ladies   Recommendation on golf set for beginners - ladies I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 09, 2011 7:18 pm

So happy to see an enthusiastic newbie female golfer. Yes it is true you see less of 2nd hand ladies set. Given that you have a budget, my recommendation is wait out here or post a wtb ( want to buy) message on the market place, maybe someone may just have a set hidden in their store room.

Ps: someone who is so on as to go every avenue to search for a set of clubs should be someone who will into golf for a long while. Cheers and enjoy your stay in GR!
Back to top Go down
Newtogolf
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Recommendation on golf set for beginners - ladies   Recommendation on golf set for beginners - ladies I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 09, 2011 7:47 pm

I feel that its important to try out your sets thoroughly before you buy. And its important that you like the feel of it. Don't just look at the prices.

I'm a beginner too, still living on loaned sets but slowly building up my own set as you can see~
Back to top Go down
stagedbrute
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
stagedbrute

PostSubject: Re: Recommendation on golf set for beginners - ladies   Recommendation on golf set for beginners - ladies I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 09, 2011 11:44 pm

If you have your coach's contact, you can try asking him for some advice as he knows best Smile

I'm a fellow beginner as well, and when i asked my coach, he just told me to look for clubs with a wider/bigger face. Hope that helps..
Back to top Go down
stagedbrute
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
stagedbrute

PostSubject: Re: Recommendation on golf set for beginners - ladies   Recommendation on golf set for beginners - ladies I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2011 12:14 am

Oh, btw, i just saw someone selling a maruman set for ladies in the marketplace, page 2.
Back to top Go down
BabyCroc
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
BabyCroc

PostSubject: Re: Recommendation on golf set for beginners - ladies   Recommendation on golf set for beginners - ladies I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2011 5:29 am

looking at the extensive research you have done, it seems you are pretty serious about progressing in the sport. Only thing is you haven tried out how the various clubs feel, and you cant decide how much to commit. I suggest you ask ard in GR to see if there are any ladies sets which you can try out before making a decision. If you have time, probably you can pop by Golf house to try the ladies clubs from the bigger brands like TM or Mizuno or Ping. You might feel a difference in comparison to the feedback from the beginner all-in-one sets, esp for the irons. Some brands like Gosen will also be shorter in terms of club length. Shd you decide to invest more, probably a decent set of irons, a driver, and a putter might do you good for a start.
Back to top Go down
dmateo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Recommendation on golf set for beginners - ladies   Recommendation on golf set for beginners - ladies I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2011 9:19 am

if you're into the game seriouslyy, then why not invest seriously. There is no point of limiting your progress to inferior clubs.
I'm not saying buy the most expensive clubs under the sun, but buy something decent within the same class group as the regular joe on this forum has. Even if you spend minimum that will be a minimum too much when you come to realize or suspect that your equiptment is limiting your progress.

The combination of man and equipment form the golf game. The optimum result will be obtained by improving both. well at least that is my believe.

Happy golfing.
Back to top Go down
shine15
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Recommendation on golf set for beginners - ladies   Recommendation on golf set for beginners - ladies I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2011 12:02 pm

i tried asking my coach, his input does not really help thinks he's too pro. what he will does is check if his student is selling their set.

i understand the importance of getting a better club than inferior. that's why initially i wanted to get the $299 set from golf direct.

any comment for gozen set? my female frds beginner sets are from gosen. and also looking at wilson hope.
should i continue this game in the long run, i'll look into upgrading.
for now, i need a basic set so i can practise at range and play oversea.
Back to top Go down
DimWit Kid
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
DimWit Kid

PostSubject: Re: Recommendation on golf set for beginners - ladies   Recommendation on golf set for beginners - ladies I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2011 4:36 pm

Shine, I and my wife are beginners (8 months since we first hit a golf ball in a range and 6 months since we own our set)... we were interested on those "sets" from Callaway, Mizuno etc (my wife at one point think seriously about getting a set of solaire). The feedback we heard from our coach and some friends are that those sets will worth much much less when you actually want to sell it. So you might as well get a good "regular" set of irons.

Our approach in the end was to begin with secondhand drivers, and invest in reg set of irons (wife got TM Burner superlaunch ladies at 800 that time - very forgiving and easy to launch. Looks ugly as they're thicker than hybrids but serve the purpose!). We also bought cheap (ie 60 bucks each - I think they're leftovers from 5-6 years ago) putters. I think actually the one I got was for free for my iron set purchase....

As we go along in our lesson we start building our set by investing in new and more forgiving drivers, then woods, then hybrids, and then lastly putters. That's easier because I am very very sure I'm not going to lose interest anytime soon (like, in the next 5 years Laughing)

Now, all those done within 6 months after we first got our PC maybe too fast - it's really depends on how you want to do it, and how seriously you want to invest in your new hobby. Smile I am sure I will have some "regret buys" (like the new set that's still hiding in my cupboard right now since it's unauthorized purchase - wife didn't consent!) but since I think it's a part of the fun learning golf... then it's ok for me Smile

Good luck in your journey - listen to others but it's gonna be yours so enjoy it whatever you get!

Like dmateo said - and I agree wholeheartedly - it's combination of man and equipment (in my case - the "man" part of the improvement clearly lags behind Laughing
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: Recommendation on golf set for beginners - ladies   Recommendation on golf set for beginners - ladies I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2011 4:55 pm

DWK, saw your set today and I go What a Face

Shine, welcome here, I would suggest you join the forum Wednesday's range at mbgc. Normally there will be some of the ladies at the range and I am sure they will be happy to let you try their clubs. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
jingwei
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Recommendation on golf set for beginners - ladies   Recommendation on golf set for beginners - ladies I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2011 6:43 pm

If any beginner is keen on a Callaway X22 steel shaft, do drop me a message.

I just picked up golf 6mths ago and the set served me very well. Now upgrading. Comes with bag and all.
Back to top Go down
shine15
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Recommendation on golf set for beginners - ladies   Recommendation on golf set for beginners - ladies I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2011 6:59 pm

thanks everyone for the input.

blee, do you mean there will be ppl from this forum at mbgc range on wed? i'm usually there on thurs evening for class and it's quite crowded.
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: Recommendation on golf set for beginners - ladies   Recommendation on golf set for beginners - ladies I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2011 7:26 pm

shine15 wrote:

blee, do you mean there will be ppl from this forum at mbgc range on wed? i'm usually there on thurs evening for class and it's quite crowded.

Yep! it is called starry starry night. You can find the thread on the top right Jane corner under 'highlights' or 'latest topic'
Back to top Go down
DimWit Kid
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
DimWit Kid

PostSubject: Re: Recommendation on golf set for beginners - ladies   Recommendation on golf set for beginners - ladies I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2011 7:43 pm

shine15 wrote:

If u come this wednesday, I'll be there and will bring 7 iron of my wife's set... can try that one too Wink
Back to top Go down
dmateo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Recommendation on golf set for beginners - ladies   Recommendation on golf set for beginners - ladies I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2011 9:01 pm

I think come in on Wednesday and try a few of the club on multiple session and see which one you like the most. It's a club to every person, (ie everyone has their preference and personality). Once you find the one you like, then just keep on it to make sure it's not a fluke for another 1 / 2 weeks before you go and purchase (assuming your budget allows or look for 2nd hand).
I think you can also try to use the provided clubs from your couch, not sure on your case at least on my case I have that chance and settle for iron and heavy club (was CGB Max R7) before I switch to MP-68 mizuno after 3 years on CGB R7.

The problem with just starting is you wouldn't know your own swing characteristic, but you definitely need to settle to a specific club everytime you practise so you can get a consistent feel.

happy golfing.
Back to top Go down
shine15
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Recommendation on golf set for beginners - ladies   Recommendation on golf set for beginners - ladies I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2011 9:33 pm

dmateo, yes you point something tts so true. being new, i do not know which is the right club for me.
reckon i need something not too heavy, cos once i use the common club avail at mbcg, it was so heavy i couldnt swing probably compare to those provided by my coach.
Back to top Go down
jingwei
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Recommendation on golf set for beginners - ladies   Recommendation on golf set for beginners - ladies I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2011 10:33 pm

Guys, if you have people keen on Callaway x22, let me know...
Back to top Go down
silverhex
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Recommendation on golf set for beginners - ladies   Recommendation on golf set for beginners - ladies I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 04, 2011 11:48 am

go with the callaway solarire. full set. you wouldnt go wrong! the rest are just an eye sore Very Happy
Back to top Go down
dorisha
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Recommendation on golf set for beginners - ladies   Recommendation on golf set for beginners - ladies I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2011 10:51 pm

I am also a beginner, in fact am just into the 3rd lesson of my beginner lesson. I am considering to buy a 2nd hand ladies' set too so that I can practice on my own but I simply got lost when I walk into the store. There are different 'stiffness' of the shalf, "lie" etc, how would i know what is suitable?

If I am to purchase the club one by one which is the club I need to buy first and at what configuration?
Back to top Go down
scubawun
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Recommendation on golf set for beginners - ladies   Recommendation on golf set for beginners - ladies I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2011 10:56 pm

Cobra S2 for ladies. works well for my wife! you should be able to pick one up for cheaps now.
Back to top Go down
Orangeironhorse
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Recommendation on golf set for beginners - ladies   Recommendation on golf set for beginners - ladies I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2011 11:50 pm

Brought a set of TM Burner superlaunch ladies, upgraded to burner 2.0
Brought 09 TM No 4 Hybrid Rescue ladies
Brought 09 TM No 5 Hybrid Rescue ladies
Brought TM Superlaunch 5 Wood ladies

Thus, She will be happy to golf with me.

Last edited by Orangeironhorse on Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tazziesong88
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Recommendation on golf set for beginners - ladies   Recommendation on golf set for beginners - ladies I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 10:32 am

Found TM Burner 1.0 @699 @Golf Direct.. Graphite Set for ladies..
Back to top Go down
golfbuzz
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
golfbuzz

PostSubject: Re: Recommendation on golf set for beginners - ladies   Recommendation on golf set for beginners - ladies I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 10:42 am

I got a callaway solaire ladies set for sale . Can pm me or look under my post in marketplace if keen .
Back to top Go down
space
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Recommendation on golf set for beginners - ladies   Recommendation on golf set for beginners - ladies I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2011 12:32 am

Hi golfbuzz,
wasn't able to find your post in Marketplace. Do PM me

thanks
Back to top Go down
escyb
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
escyb

PostSubject: Re: Recommendation on golf set for beginners - ladies   Recommendation on golf set for beginners - ladies I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2011 1:45 am

shine15 wrote:
golf direct sells very budget set slagenzer, lynx and dunlop at $299. i had not heard of this brand being popular for golf? is it worth to get this set to try out?

went to far east SC - saw these jap brand like maruman, gosen. how are these 2 compare w mizuno? sorry, i'm totally clueless to golf brand except for callaway, TM, Titlelist.

A couple of frens boughts the slazenger n lynx sets from GD just 2 months ago. They are happy with it. I tried the men's version clubs and its pretty decent.

My wife got her dunlop set from Golf Simply at FESC and she finds it good her. Easy to hit and the graphics are wat she likes. Best of all, Golf Simply allowed her to test the clubs for over an hr while watching n giving her advice! Fantastic customer service in my opinion.

If you dun want to spend too much on clubs for now, the dunlop set is a good buy. Will probably serve you awhile till you r proficient. By then you would know what you want.

Hope this helps you, shine15.
Happy shopping.
Edwin
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Recommendation on golf set for beginners - ladies   Recommendation on golf set for beginners - ladies I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Recommendation on golf set for beginners - ladies
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next