Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Shaft and Fitting questions

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
DimWit Kid
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
DimWit Kid

Shaft and Fitting questions Empty
PostSubject: Shaft and Fitting questions   Shaft and Fitting questions I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2011 11:04 pm

Bros, a couple of unrelated questions.... need to pick experienced golfer (addicts Laughing) brains.....
apology if maybe this have been dished around thoroughly before:
1. How do bros here get to pick their preferred shaft? Or let me make it simpler: how do one decide their shaft flex?
Was asked by a bro a while ago how old I am when he saw me use an R-flex Shocked Rolling Eyes Laughing but I knew a few (much) older ppl than I use S's.... Razz
Or ... if you are comfy with S flex driver does it necessarily mean S is the way for irons? OR S and R choice also differ based on what material we take (ie. steel vs graphite shaft)

2. Much simpler q: Putter - am I correct to assume that any putter head can be also fitted with different kind of shaft? or is it more different LENGTH of shaft only?

Thanks beforehand - must go to sleep and hibernate for two weeks from golf... so would like to have some golf thingy to think about since can't even swing in hotel rooms Sad
Back to top Go down
mizzy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
mizzy

PostSubject: Re: Shaft and Fitting questions   Shaft and Fitting questions I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2011 11:18 pm

DK,

only 2 ways to go about it. 1 go visit a fitter. 2 keep changing equipment until you find something that fits.

most do it somewhere between the 2.

also, there are many posts in GR that have some answers that you might find useful. pls do a search and take your time to read. its a treasure trove. good luck
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Shaft and Fitting questions   Shaft and Fitting questions I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 12:18 am

Trial and error.

Even clubfitters do trial and error until they find the most optimum specs. They use swing radars, have clubfitting know how etc but ultimately, they keep on trying till they find the right one for you.

The question is how many times (how much money you want to spend) are you willing to do the trial and error?

That is why events like starry starry night and free club demo days are very useful for us to try different clubs/specs at no costs.

Putter slightly difficult. Must get to know kakis well, play together often, then maybe can borrow putters.
Back to top Go down
tohsk8
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Shaft and Fitting questions   Shaft and Fitting questions I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 12:34 am

Before starting the trial and error process, the following general rules of thumb maybe applied to reduce the number of trials:

Driver carry distance Recommended Flex
Less 180 yard Ladies Flex
181 to 200 yard Senior Flex
200 to 235 yard Regular Flex
235 to 275 yard Stiff Flex
Above 275 Extra Stiff

Kick-point
Lower kick - higher launch and vice-versa

Shaft Torque
Shorter driving distance, use a higher torque shaft to promote the launch. Generally speaking, a torque of 3.5 to 4.5 is fine for most social golfers.

Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: Shaft and Fitting questions   Shaft and Fitting questions I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 9:06 am

Hi bro

to a certain extend, shaft flex is not directly related to age, but for sure, shaft flex is more relaetd to your swing speed. Actually, beside just fitting for shaft flex, i have heard some actually fitted for shaft profile, that is fitting for butt flex, mid-flex and tip flex.

To get fitted for a suitable shaft, best way is to visit a good clubfitter, like BigFIsh and WizGolf, pay them a visit and understand their methodology of fitting.

Both clubfitter also do putter fitting.

As for shaft for putter, there is dedicated shaft for putter, not just any shaft, you cannot use a normal iron steel shaft for putter.

Hope these could help you...enjoy !!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shaft and Fitting questions   Shaft and Fitting questions I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Shaft and Fitting questions
Page 1 of 1