Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Glove or No Glove

Go down 
+11
fata
Winston
tronos
simoner
antloh
mizzy
alvin7379
Derek
DimWit Kid
golf_snowman
MrBig
15 posters

Glove or No Glove
1. Glove
Glove or No Glove I_vote_lcap65%Glove or No Glove I_vote_rcap
 65% [ 15 ]
2. No Glove
Glove or No Glove I_vote_lcap35%Glove or No Glove I_vote_rcap
 35% [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 23

AuthorMessage
MrBig
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
MrBig

Glove or No Glove Empty
PostSubject: Glove or No Glove   Glove or No Glove I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 7:49 pm

Hi everyone

Was at the range the other day... and kinda forgot to put my glove back on after I took a rest.
Lo and behold... the ball just flew an additional 20-30 yards.
Realized that I suddenly had more control over the grip and that "NO GLOVE" was on.
ok ... might be luck right... so tried again... and again.... and again...
Consistently hit the same distance and direction......

Den.... everything went haywire after the 4th shot.
So ... went back to glove ... ball ... sometime left, sometimes right... sometimes far (but not as far without glove) den sometimes even shorter than my irons.

So ... tried without glove again...
Again ... 1-4 shots great .... den ... no more liao.

Am I using the wrong glove? Is it coz I have sweaty palms?
Kindly advise Smile
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

Glove or No Glove Empty
PostSubject: Re: Glove or No Glove   Glove or No Glove I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 8:07 pm

I dun wear glove most of the time unless palm sweaty

like the 'raw' feel....haha !!
Back to top Go down
DimWit Kid
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
DimWit Kid

Glove or No Glove Empty
PostSubject: Re: Glove or No Glove   Glove or No Glove I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 8:21 pm

bro snowman.... the word you looking for is probably "bare back"! Wink

@mrbig: well I am familiar with that experience. Basically nothing works consistently... glove no glove, titleist or taylormade...... still left right left right. Sometimes hit 7 to 130 and then suddenly 70 barely hehe....

For me, I came to conclusion that it's me not the equipment.... dats why I'm taking more lessons Razz
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

Glove or No Glove Empty
PostSubject: Re: Glove or No Glove   Glove or No Glove I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 10:23 pm

MrBig wrote:
Hi everyone

Was at the range the other day... and kinda forgot to put my glove back on after I took a rest.
Realized that I suddenly had more control over the grip and that "NO GLOVE" was on.

So ... went back to glove ... ball ... sometime left, sometimes right... sometimes far (but not as far without glove) den sometimes even shorter than my irons.

Kindly advise Smile

If u have a coach, probably best if you ask him.

If not, I was just wondering how much time u take in between shots at the range. Maybe you could try 1 min interval between shots, pick a target, set up, swing, step away, remove glove, dry hand and grip with towel, relax, then back to step 1. try 10 shots with glove and 10 without ... might give u a better idea of what is going on
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

Glove or No Glove Empty
PostSubject: Re: Glove or No Glove   Glove or No Glove I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 10:46 pm

Wear glove hit 300 balls...

Dun wear glove hit 300 balls...

You will know the difference after you try both... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.visualtech.com.sg
mizzy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
mizzy

Glove or No Glove Empty
PostSubject: Re: Glove or No Glove   Glove or No Glove I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 10:55 pm

MrBig,

wearing a glove is just about getting a grip on your club when you swing.
swinging hard and fast, and gripping the grip as lightly as you can, needs some tactility on your hands and the club grip so it doesn't slip out.

you have leather gloves, synthetic gloves and fabric gloves.
you have cord, half cord, tour wrap, rubber and NDMC.. types of grips.

wearing a glove or no glove, using different types of grips can mentally cause you to have different grip pressures and cause your release through the hitting zone to be affected.

everyone will have a comfortable combination, keep trying what you like and what works.
good luck
Back to top Go down
antloh
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
antloh

Glove or No Glove Empty
PostSubject: Re: Glove or No Glove   Glove or No Glove I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 5:42 pm

Glove will help prevent abrasion - unless of course you got thick skin.
Back to top Go down
simoner
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
simoner

Glove or No Glove Empty
PostSubject: Re: Glove or No Glove   Glove or No Glove I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 6:14 pm

No glove is shiok when the hands are dry and golf grip in good condition. Feeling is great.

But once the hands get sweaty, all hell breaks loose!
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

Glove or No Glove Empty
PostSubject: Re: Glove or No Glove   Glove or No Glove I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 6:29 pm

depends on ur golf grip. have both MC and Tour Warp 2G..totally different feeling and actually affect performance

also how many layers of tape also affect.

all must try so brain can think about other golf stuff...if not keep thinking this combo maybe better, that combo maybe more suitable (excuses for bad play to blame equip instead of own skill)
Back to top Go down
MrBig
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
MrBig

Glove or No Glove Empty
PostSubject: Re: Glove or No Glove   Glove or No Glove I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 2:28 pm

Derek wrote:
MrBig wrote:
Hi everyone

Kindly advise Smile

If u have a coach, probably best if you ask him.

If not, I was just wondering how much time u take in between shots at the range. Maybe you could try 1 min interval between shots, pick a target, set up, swing, step away, remove glove, dry hand and grip with towel, relax, then back to step 1. try 10 shots with glove and 10 without ... might give u a better idea of what is going on

Interval between balls = time to see where ball lands + time to get next ball on rubber tee
Honestly ... I take less tan 1 min between shots. Seems like I'm whacking balls as a workout.

Any recommendation on gloves for sweaty palms?
Tried the weather glove by footjoy ... which I quite like, but looking to try something more suitable.
Tried other gloves by footjoy, and I seem to like the one that has a ball marker, but it tears and loosens fairly fast.
Is it normal to change gloves after every range session.... i.e. 200-400 balls

Hmmm.... anyone bareback/raw on range... den use gloves on the green?
Is it safer to use glove when playing overseas, cos we don't know who has been there before?
Or is it better the other way round ?
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

Glove or No Glove Empty
PostSubject: Re: Glove or No Glove   Glove or No Glove I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 2:37 pm

tip for you if you are considering no gloves. Go to any bowling pro shop and buy a "puff" ball. It has a powder inside which release through the cloth when you squeeze down on it. It keeps your hands dry. Very similar to the chalk powder gymnast / weight lifters etc etc use on their hands.
Back to top Go down
fata
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
fata

Glove or No Glove Empty
PostSubject: Re: Glove or No Glove   Glove or No Glove I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 5:04 pm

I'll go with glove. Ease the thought of slipping and gave me better feel of grip. Had a few tries without glove, mindset keep telling me not to slip off and naturally tend to grip more than firm. And my swing got affected. It's all up there, MIND.. Idea
Back to top Go down
Gray
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Gray

Glove or No Glove Empty
PostSubject: Re: Glove or No Glove   Glove or No Glove I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 5:08 pm

Use tennis grip wrap round your golf grip. Then u play without gloves. The softness of the tennis grip and the tackiness will give you the confidence to play without glove
Back to top Go down
fata
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
fata

Glove or No Glove Empty
PostSubject: Re: Glove or No Glove   Glove or No Glove I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 5:24 pm

Gray wrote:
Use tennis grip wrap round your golf grip. Then u play without gloves. The softness of the tennis grip and the tackiness will give you the confidence to play without glove

Does it peel off after sometime just like those on badmonton racket? Had few kaki's who prefer gloveless just becos they feel that the glove is expensive Question
Back to top Go down
mowen
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mowen

Glove or No Glove Empty
PostSubject: Re: Glove or No Glove   Glove or No Glove I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 5:27 pm

Need tennis grips .. remember to look for me ..

wow ... if all the GR members try tennis grips on their grips ..ho sei liao ..
Back to top Go down
Gray
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Gray

Glove or No Glove Empty
PostSubject: Re: Glove or No Glove   Glove or No Glove I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 5:31 pm

No it does not peel off. One of my sets uses tennis grips. 4 mths and good so far. But ur nails shld be short. My nails cut into my skin at the grip interlock
Back to top Go down
roychua
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Glove or No Glove Empty
PostSubject: Re: Glove or No Glove   Glove or No Glove I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 3:45 pm

The first time I tried without glove was when I forgot to bring it when I went to the range. At first there were some callus on my left palm under the fingers. But after some time, my skin got used to it and I never wore gloves after that. Probably because I do not have sweaty palms, I am able to get a nice and comfortable grip without glove.

Apparently Ben Hogan also do not wear gloves? (Please correct me if I'm wrong...)
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

Glove or No Glove Empty
PostSubject: Re: Glove or No Glove   Glove or No Glove I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 4:01 pm

no glove use MC ok, but the problem is the left thumb, the skin just before where the nail starts kena rub until peel, quite pain.
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

Glove or No Glove Empty
PostSubject: Re: Glove or No Glove   Glove or No Glove I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 4:47 pm

DimWit Kid wrote:
bro snowman.... the word you looking for is probably "bare back"! Wink

@mrbig: well I am familiar with that experience. Basically nothing works consistently... glove no glove, titleist or taylormade...... still left right left right. Sometimes hit 7 to 130 and then suddenly 70 barely hehe....

For me, I came to conclusion that it's me not the equipment.... dats why I'm taking more lessons Razz

haha...actually the main reason is i dun like one hand dark dark (one one w/o glove) and one hand white white...and it is very obviously especially after a game....the next day, my boss will know..so decided to train without glove...and i notice after some training, palm skin begin thicker....haha !!!
Back to top Go down
pippin
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
pippin

Glove or No Glove Empty
PostSubject: Re: Glove or No Glove   Glove or No Glove I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 4:49 pm

Thicker skin... for better or worse??
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Glove or No Glove Empty
PostSubject: Re: Glove or No Glove   Glove or No Glove I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Glove or No Glove
Page 1 of 1