Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ball Lost Inadvertently

Go down 
+4
sunny
Khorkar
lemmein
freedrop
8 posters
AuthorMessage
freedrop
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
freedrop

Ball Lost Inadvertently Empty
PostSubject: Ball Lost Inadvertently   Ball Lost Inadvertently I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 5:59 am

Player A marked his ball, and lifted it from the green, tossed it to his caddie for cleaning, who missed catching it and the ball flew into greenside water, lost.Player A has to use a new ball, same model, same make.

What is the ruling?
Back to top Go down
lemmein
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Ball Lost Inadvertently   Ball Lost Inadvertently I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 8:01 am

2 stroke penalty! lol

Last edited by lemmein on Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: Ball Lost Inadvertently   Ball Lost Inadvertently I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 8:33 am

Lost ball Penalty?
Back to top Go down
freedrop
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
freedrop

PostSubject: Re: Ball Lost Inadvertently   Ball Lost Inadvertently I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 6:14 pm

Thanks. I think I have found out the answer....it's 2 stroke penalty for playing the new ball, which is ruled as "wrong ball". For match play, the hole is considered lost.

Rule 15.3, Decision 15-2/1 apply here.
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

PostSubject: Re: Ball Lost Inadvertently   Ball Lost Inadvertently I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 9:18 pm

i am sure Alan would be able to give a good answer to this
Back to top Go down
Http://thescarletibis.wordpress.com
Alan
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Ball Lost Inadvertently   Ball Lost Inadvertently I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2009 2:06 pm

The applicable rule is 15-2 substituted ball.

If the player substitute a ball when not permitted to do so under the rules, tha substituted ball is not a wrong ball, it becomes the ball in play, ......... he loses the hole in match play or incurs a penalty of two strokes in stroke play under the applicabl rule.

ie. answer is "Wrongly substituted ball" (Under rule 15-2),

Regards
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

PostSubject: Re: Ball Lost Inadvertently   Ball Lost Inadvertently I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2009 2:19 pm

hi alan,

for cases where we assess ourselves penalty strokes, if we use the wrong rules but the penalty strokes is correct(i.e for this case freedrop applied the wrong rule but same penalty strokes of 2), are there any further penalty such as DQ?
Back to top Go down
Alan
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Ball Lost Inadvertently   Ball Lost Inadvertently I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2009 2:27 pm

No, there is no further penalty. It is wrong understanding on the application of rule.

If a competitor apply the "wrong ball" rule (rule 15-3), then in stroke play competitot must correct the mistake by playing the right ball (which is lost) and this does not make sense.
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

PostSubject: Re: Ball Lost Inadvertently   Ball Lost Inadvertently I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2009 2:31 pm

ok thanks Smile
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: Ball Lost Inadvertently   Ball Lost Inadvertently I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2009 2:38 pm

there goes the caddy's cut.

imagine losing your income because you missed catching the ball. wow.

bring a whole new meaning to 'carrying your employer's balls.'
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

PostSubject: Re: Ball Lost Inadvertently   Ball Lost Inadvertently I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2009 2:54 pm

Alan wrote:

If the player substitute a ball when not permitted to do so under the rules, tha substituted ball is not a wrong ball, it becomes the ball in play, ......... he loses the hole in match play or incurs a penalty of two strokes in stroke play under the applicabl rule.

Regards

So it this example, is the player penalised? Is it considered a wrongly substituted ball or not? I would have thought as the ball is marked, it is not in play at that time, so no penalty. I do think it is a penalty however after reading 15-2. Yep, I would sack the caddy or make him go for a swim.
Back to top Go down
Roystonnn
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Ball Lost Inadvertently   Ball Lost Inadvertently I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2009 9:31 pm

Right_sided_coach wrote:
Alan wrote:

Regards

So it this example, is the player penalised? Is it considered a wrongly substituted ball or not? I would have thought as the ball is marked, it is not in play at that time, so no penalty. I do think it is a penalty however after reading 15-2. Yep, I would sack the caddy or make him go for a swim.

Wow...
In that case, the player better had arranged some tossing & catching practise session with the caddy... Very Happy

This caddy mus be damn sorry for being unable to catch the ball man..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ball Lost Inadvertently   Ball Lost Inadvertently I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ball Lost Inadvertently
Page 1 of 1