Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Considering reshafting, any clubmakers please advise?

Go down 
+8
Ssquirrel
mervyntan
Technospaz
DGman
rocky
setzer
fabulous
lemmein
12 posters
AuthorMessage
lemmein
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Considering reshafting, any clubmakers please advise? Empty
PostSubject: Considering reshafting, any clubmakers please advise?   Considering reshafting, any clubmakers please advise? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 7:29 pm

I have a set of really heavy steel shafts on my clubs right now (Nextt, not a mainstream brand name) and am considering reshafting them with graphite shafts. Please advise on possible repurcussions and whether it's even possible. Thanks.

Considering this primarily because my wrists are not particualrly strong, have injured them in the past and don't wanna risk any serious long-term injury because of one bad, unforgiving mishit.
Back to top Go down
fabulous
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
fabulous

PostSubject: Re: Considering reshafting, any clubmakers please advise?   Considering reshafting, any clubmakers please advise? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 7:56 pm

if can advise you, to buy a new club will be cheaper than re shaft your old club, also depends on how old is your clubs. To buy the graphite shaft at least $80 can up to $350 per shaft depends on brand . if u take somewhere in middle let say $150, u need to re shaft 3-PW.

Maybe some bro's here can help....
Back to top Go down
setzer
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
setzer

PostSubject: Re: Considering reshafting, any clubmakers please advise?   Considering reshafting, any clubmakers please advise? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 9:30 pm

think you can pop by The Den to get professional opinions.

In case you do not know where's the location:

Blk 1003 Bukit Merah Central
#03-11
Singapore 159836

Tel: (65) 64712272
Fax: (65) 64712221
Email: golf@bigfishes.com

They also have a PROshop at OCC but I'm not sure if they do any fitting there. Cheers Smile
Back to top Go down
rocky
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
rocky

PostSubject: Re: Considering reshafting, any clubmakers please advise?   Considering reshafting, any clubmakers please advise? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 9:58 pm

Lemmein

Forget it. With the prices of clubs these days, it's more economical to buy new clubs. Btw, how old are those Nextt clubs?
Back to top Go down
lemmein
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Considering reshafting, any clubmakers please advise?   Considering reshafting, any clubmakers please advise? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 10:09 pm

Thanks for the advise, I was actually thinking that it would be smarter to get a new set as well.
And these clubs are around 6 months old, why?
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Considering reshafting, any clubmakers please advise?   Considering reshafting, any clubmakers please advise? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 10:31 pm

Hi Lemmein,

take out the guess work and come in for an analysis. at least you will find out whats right and what's not right for you. then make you decision.

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Considering reshafting, any clubmakers please advise?   Considering reshafting, any clubmakers please advise? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 10:32 pm

Sorry to hj this thread. DGMan, I've got an old set of irons (Spalding) which I'd like to remove the shafts off and just keep the heads. Can you do so? If yes, I'll come by one of these days.
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Considering reshafting, any clubmakers please advise?   Considering reshafting, any clubmakers please advise? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 10:34 pm

sure...no problem at all...jsut pay for the gas...haha
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
lemmein
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Considering reshafting, any clubmakers please advise?   Considering reshafting, any clubmakers please advise? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 10:36 pm

what train/bus combo to take to get there? am at Simei.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Considering reshafting, any clubmakers please advise?   Considering reshafting, any clubmakers please advise? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 10:39 pm

DGman wrote:
sure...no problem at all...jsut pay for the gas...haha

Sure - no problem Smile Thanks!!
Back to top Go down
mervyntan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mervyntan

PostSubject: Re: Considering reshafting, any clubmakers please advise?   Considering reshafting, any clubmakers please advise? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 10:51 pm

hmmm, at simei, then maybe u can ask bro jaketang or lamts to pick u up when they go there, since they are in the east.. haha..

but lest u think there is only 1 clubfitter in SG, there are a few more clubfitters in town..

if in simei, u can visit torque golf at laguna, since it is in the east... u can also visit mark higgs at ubi or kaki bukit if i'm not wrong... there is also william goh at katong shopping centre.... many options in the east, if you're looking for a clubfitter, there're many options...

the best is to go visit all of them if u have the time, and find out their professional opinions... i think all of them are all extremely knowledgeable and highly skilled in their craft.
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

PostSubject: Re: Considering reshafting, any clubmakers please advise?   Considering reshafting, any clubmakers please advise? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2009 12:54 am

Agreed, go visit the many different clubfitters in Singapore (think there was a thread somewhere that listed down the different club guys we can visit?)

Then weigh your options and make your decision.

Good luck.. albino
Back to top Go down
vyeo
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Considering reshafting, any clubmakers please advise?   Considering reshafting, any clubmakers please advise? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2009 11:36 pm

hijacking thread again! this is fast becoming my modus operandi.

been flirting with switching to steel shafts for a while. so, same questions really, would appreciate advice and opinions on how much it would cost and would it be more worthwhile to re-shaft or to just get a new set completely? i'm using mx-19, about a year old now. thanks!
Back to top Go down
who8168
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
who8168

PostSubject: Re: Considering reshafting, any clubmakers please advise?   Considering reshafting, any clubmakers please advise? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2009 11:50 pm

vyeo wrote:
hijacking thread again! this is fast becoming my modus operandi.

been flirting with switching to steel shafts for a while. so, same questions really, would appreciate advice and opinions on how much it would cost and would it be more worthwhile to re-shaft or to just get a new set completely? i'm using mx-19, about a year old now. thanks!

Switching to steel shafts will improve your accuracy of your shots, considering all other factors being equal. However, most people will experience some loss of distance when they switch from graphite to steel shafts.

On the flip side, changing of shafts can be expensive, & in this era, makes more 'cents' to buy a new set. So unless you are so comfortable or totally in love with your old club heads, consider a trip to Far East Shopping Centre or a fitting centre.

As for the cost, since changing of shafts will mean new grips, you are looking at about $60 to $100 per shaft, depending on the brand of you want.

Hope that helps.
Back to top Go down
vyeo
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Considering reshafting, any clubmakers please advise?   Considering reshafting, any clubmakers please advise? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2009 11:55 pm

Thanks for your advice Mr Who.

I'd actually done the swing test at BFG several months back, and found that my swing speed was higher with a steel shaft. But I held back from changing anything then because my set was still fairly new. But now, the itch is starting to get stronger and stronger... maybe I should start looking and give myself a nice christmas present at the end of the year.

i was asking about the cost because cognitively, i would have thought that buying new graphite shafts would cost more than steel ones, all things else being equal. But yes, taking your midpoint of about $80 per shaft, reshafting 4-PW would already cost $720, and it should be more cost effective to get a new set...
Back to top Go down
who8168
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
who8168

PostSubject: Re: Considering reshafting, any clubmakers please advise?   Considering reshafting, any clubmakers please advise? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2009 12:10 am

vyeo wrote:

I'd actually done the swing test at BFG several months back, and found that my swing speed was higher with a steel shaft.

You are very lucky, or blessed with the natural ability. Excellent.

To digress some - different people suits different types of steel shafts, flighted or non-flighted, regular or stiff flex, weight of 95 gm, 115 gm, or 130 gm, etc. And it's due more to tempo then swing speed. So do test out different steel shafts first to find what suits you best (if you are still thinking about re-shafting).
Back to top Go down
rocky
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
rocky

PostSubject: Re: Considering reshafting, any clubmakers please advise?   Considering reshafting, any clubmakers please advise? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2009 12:41 am

lemmein wrote:
Thanks for the advise, I was actually thinking that it would be smarter to get a new set as well.
And these clubs are around 6 months old, why?

If they are still relatively new, you can still sell them away. There will be some beginners starting out who need something to start with.
Back to top Go down
vyeo
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Considering reshafting, any clubmakers please advise?   Considering reshafting, any clubmakers please advise? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2009 1:33 am

who8168 wrote:
vyeo wrote:

I'd actually done the swing test at BFG several months back, and found that my swing speed was higher with a steel shaft.

To digress some - different people suits different types of steel shafts, flighted or non-flighted, regular or stiff flex, weight of 95 gm, 115 gm, or 130 gm, etc. And it's due more to tempo then swing speed. So do test out different steel shafts first to find what suits you best (if you are still thinking about re-shafting).

hahaha "natural ability"... you should see my swing, and you'll very quickly realise that natural ability is sorely lacking... hahaha. at that point, i also felt my swing was probably inconsistent, so should firm up the swing before thinking about changing clubs. I've found though that it is very difficult to find sets that weigh in at 85g or 90g. Most of them are 95g and above. I guess when I'm serious about changing equipment, I should head over to BFG again... (if the boss allows!)
Back to top Go down
chocoman
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
chocoman

PostSubject: Re: Considering reshafting, any clubmakers please advise?   Considering reshafting, any clubmakers please advise? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2009 9:04 am

fabulous wrote:
if can advise you, to buy a new club will be cheaper than re shaft your old club, also depends on how old is your clubs. To buy the graphite shaft at least $80 can up to $350 per shaft depends on brand . if u take somewhere in middle let say $150, u need to re shaft 3-PW.

Maybe some bro's here can help....

buy new graphite Swing
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: Considering reshafting, any clubmakers please advise?   Considering reshafting, any clubmakers please advise? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2009 11:52 am

vyeo wrote:
who8168 wrote:
vyeo wrote:

hahaha "natural ability"... you should see my swing, and you'll very quickly realise that natural ability is sorely lacking... hahaha. at that point, i also felt my swing was probably inconsistent, so should firm up the swing before thinking about changing clubs. I've found though that it is very difficult to find sets that weigh in at 85g or 90g. Most of them are 95g and above. I guess when I'm serious about changing equipment, I should head over to BFG again... (if the boss allows!)

There is steelfiber shafts.. from 70 gm upwards ... and at where else but BFG
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Considering reshafting, any clubmakers please advise?   Considering reshafting, any clubmakers please advise? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Considering reshafting, any clubmakers please advise?
Page 1 of 1