Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

X-stiff/ Stiff shafts - soft stepped. How is this done?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Dstruc
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Dstruc

X-stiff/ Stiff shafts - soft stepped. How is this done? Empty
PostSubject: X-stiff/ Stiff shafts - soft stepped. How is this done?   X-stiff/ Stiff shafts - soft stepped. How is this done? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 5:17 pm

Hi all,
Need some advice/ info on softening of stiff/ x-flex shafts.

Recently bought a set of irons from US, it stated with KBS X-flex shafts but soft stepped twice ( to my understanding is softening the flex). So I supposed its probably be Stiff. But when I received it, the shafts felt like a R-flex

Can someone share the methods used for soft stepping a shaft? How can I stiffen the flex? Please advise. (I'm not planing to change new shafts yet)

One of the method I heard was turning the spine to the other side (stronger flex on one side, more flexible on the other). Is this true? Please share more details on this.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: X-stiff/ Stiff shafts - soft stepped. How is this done?   X-stiff/ Stiff shafts - soft stepped. How is this done? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 8:10 pm

Cx on the weight of the shafts cos it's weird that the previous owner would get x-stiff and make it softer. X-stiff is like 20g above regular. Especially when it's coming from the states, those hard hitters rarely hit soft shafts.
Back to top Go down
Dstruc
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Dstruc

PostSubject: Re: X-stiff/ Stiff shafts - soft stepped. How is this done?   X-stiff/ Stiff shafts - soft stepped. How is this done? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2011 2:30 am

I know it's weird to me too. The thing is it's KBS shaft and it doesn't indicate the flex on it. Will check the flex / weight when I re-grip them. Thanks for the reminder.

Meanwhile, I will like to give the benefit of doubt to the seller. And hopefully friends from GR can share more information on this. Will love to learn more on these customizing methods too.

Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: X-stiff/ Stiff shafts - soft stepped. How is this done?   X-stiff/ Stiff shafts - soft stepped. How is this done? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2011 7:45 am

My half pass six knowledge tells me that soft step is when u put a 3iron shaft into a 4 iron head and the other, the reverse. So maybe this ang mo added extention plus soft step hence making the shaft feels softer. Best is still getting a club fitter to take a look. Kbs shaft only has a sticker at the top end to indicate the flex which is covered by the grip.
Back to top Go down
Dstruc
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Dstruc

PostSubject: Re: X-stiff/ Stiff shafts - soft stepped. How is this done?   X-stiff/ Stiff shafts - soft stepped. How is this done? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2011 1:07 am

Duffader you are right! I have checked the clubs. It's xflex and it's switching the longer shafts to the shorter irons, hence it's slightly longer too.
Back to top Go down
shamusan
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
shamusan

PostSubject: Re: X-stiff/ Stiff shafts - soft stepped. How is this done?   X-stiff/ Stiff shafts - soft stepped. How is this done? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2011 10:52 am

well, i believe the actual process of soft stepping twice would indicate that the previous owner put the 2i shaft into the 4i and the 3i into the 5i... so on and so forth, this process would allow a player to keep a desired weight in the shaft and yet play a little softer than the actual flex... the length would have been cut to the appropriate length as per fitted so the clubs should not be unnecessarily longer in anyway...

this is what is learned recently as my new set of clubs was soft stepped by DGman...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: X-stiff/ Stiff shafts - soft stepped. How is this done?   X-stiff/ Stiff shafts - soft stepped. How is this done? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

X-stiff/ Stiff shafts - soft stepped. How is this done?
Page 1 of 1