Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Interesting Article

Go down 
+4
punkrockpga
eiji
watermyforrest
shorthitter
8 posters
AuthorMessage
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

Interesting Article Empty
PostSubject: Interesting Article   Interesting Article I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 10:48 am

I found this article on www.pga.com

It relates to Aaron Baddley and his swing changes...

There were so many great storylines and lessons that all golfers could take from this past week's Northern Trust Open at Riviera. I could have written about how ageless good golf can be, as it was great to see Corey Pavin and in particular, Fred Couples, up near the top of the leaderboard all week. I could have written about how Riviera is a shotmakers course, and that distance is not as important as the ability to work the ball - something all of us could probably work on a little more. And I could have written about how difficult it can be, for even the world's best players, to maintain focus when weather and pace of play means lots of downtime between shots.

But to me, the most intriguing part of the week and most applicable lesson for amateur golfers was the resurgence of Mr. Aaron Baddeley. Many golf fans and teachers have long recognized the talent Baddeley has had, and it was just a matter of him finding his own personal comfort zone in order to flourish on the PGA Tour.

Aaron went through a well-publicized break from his long-time swing coach a few years ago and had mixed results with a couple of different philosophies. However, he struggled on the final day of the 2007 U.S. Open when he entered the final round with a lead and he ultimately went back to his childhood coach, Dale Lynch.

This week's "A Lesson Learned" is not about what swing philosophy is better than another, it's about the fact that there are multiple swing philosophies because there are multiple ways to play good golf. One of the things that we all - teachers and students - need to remember is that the purpose of golf instruction isn't to make a perfect swing, it's to lower scores.

It's important that you find a teacher that you feel comfortable with, whose philosophy makes sense to you, and that you can remain patient and committed as you two work through several elements of golf that will make you a better player.

Baddeley's success this week is not a testament for or against a particular type of instruction. It's an example of what commitment, dedication and patience can do for a golfer who is willing to put in the work with a teacher they believe in.
Back to top Go down
http://www.2telgolf.com
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
watermyforrest

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Article   Interesting Article I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 10:54 am

WMF likes this... But eyes hurt due to the red fonts...
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Article   Interesting Article I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 10:56 am

He had a really beautiful swing before he went S&T, its good he went back to Dale.

Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Article   Interesting Article I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 10:58 am

watermyforrest wrote:
WMF likes this... But eyes hurt due to the red fonts...

Poor old eyes... Shocked
Back to top Go down
http://www.2telgolf.com
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Article   Interesting Article I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 10:58 am

Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
punkrockpga
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Article   Interesting Article I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 3:59 pm

[color=red]This week's "A Lesson Learned" is not about what swing philosophy is better than another, it's about the fact that there are multiple swing philosophies because there are multiple ways to play good golf. One of the things that we all - teachers and students - need to remember is that the purpose of golf instruction isn't to make a perfect swing, it's to lower scores.

Thank You Shorthitter. You are 1000% correct. Most players would improve so much quicker if they understood the difference between learning how to swing the club better, and learning how to play the game better.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bradfordprogolf.com
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Article   Interesting Article I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 10:51 pm

punkrockpga wrote:
Most players would improve so much quicker if they understood the difference between learning how to swing the club better, and learning how to play the game better.

I am more of the belief that if you can swing the club better and have better techniques, including short game you will then be able to learn to play the game better.....I guess there are two ways of looking at it. Bit like "what came first, the chicken or the egg"

I feel that you can have all the mental skills, course management skills, pre shot routines, equipment etc, but if you cant hit the ball where you intend to or chip and putt consistently then all this doesnt mean much.

Conversely, if you can excecute the shots you want, then playing the game better will take care of itself.

I guess it comes down to each individual player and what works best for them. A balance of both is the way to go

Back to top Go down
ughly
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
ughly

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Article   Interesting Article I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 11:33 pm

eiji, thats the exact vid that my coach shows me as the swing to 'copy'.
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Article   Interesting Article I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 11:41 pm

Huge thanks to Shorthitter, Punkrockpga, and Right_sided_coach for your contributions.

We in Golf Republic always look forward to your many and varied views, even though many of us are the silent majority.

I thank you on behalf of all and look forward to more of the same.

Cheers Jump
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Article   Interesting Article I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 26, 2011 3:27 pm

I also recall another article on this
http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/golf/no-better-with-leadbetter-so-baddeley-returns-to-his-roots/2009/03/26/1237657074107.html
where Aaron Baddeley said

"I haven't quite seen the results I wanted," he said. "The past year has been a little inconsistent. I thought I was making good progress but there were a couple of things in the swing that weren't clicking, so I went and saw Dale for a second opinion.

"I liked what he said, talking about golf in general. That's when I decided to make the switch back."

Baddeley, 28, said he did not regret leaving Lynch in the first place. "I feel I've learnt a lot from David Leadbetter and Andy and Mike. And I feel Dale's learnt a lot in the last seven or eight years. He's a better coach now and I'm a better student."

there are many ways to skin a cat, as everyone has their own beliefs with regards to swing philosophy. More importantly, results count... and for us weekend hackers, its about being able to enjoy the game of golf.

Many of us has our share of encounters with "ah pek golfers" story (old men with funky swings) and completely humbled by their ability to put the ball into the hole in lesser strokes than us!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Article   Interesting Article I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Interesting Article
Page 1 of 1