Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

MP58 rocks....but please get fitted.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
hammy
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
hammy

MP58 rocks....but please get fitted. Empty
PostSubject: MP58 rocks....but please get fitted.   MP58 rocks....but please get fitted. I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 9:16 pm

Having played my MP33/30s for a few years already, got itchy after seeing all the new irons launched recently. After reading all the good reviews about MP58 (both here and in magazines), decided to pull the trigger on Saturday.

All my previous iron sets were bought on impulse (they were on sale) and I had to undergo really long (and expensive) learning curve to adapt my swing to each set as most of the time, the shafts were not really suitable for my swing.

So with that in mind, I decided on a fitting even though it costs $150 more. Surprisingly, the fitting went well (was afraid to be told to go for lessons instead) and I was told that I had a consistent swing even though the tape showed my balls were all struck nearer the heel area. The fitter Jeff also measured my swing speed using the Mizuno optimizer or something and I was pleasantly surprised when he told me I was more suitable for Stiff as my swing speed was a little above average. The regular shaft I am using in my MP33/30s will cause erratic (sometimes left, sometime right) shots and I found this to be true. He also advised that I will get 10-15 more meters if I went with stiff as my ball flight will be lower (my usual iron shots go very very high).

Today, I brought my shiny new 58s to the range for the first time and wow!!! What they claim is really true.. I used to lose a lot of distance with my 33s when the ball is not struck in the small sweetspot of the 33s but with the 58s, the distance loss was really really minimal. The Tungsten thing really works I guess.

The feel was also not bad but something seems to be missing.Maybe some of you will find it good, but then again I am comparing it against my 33s and seriously, the 33s really give you the softest feeling in the world when you catch the ball in the sweet-spot but will really jar your hands otherwise. But what the heck, for the 58s I could feel my good shots but bad shots don't really hurt my hands so much. So slightly less soft feeling (versus the 33s) on good shots but not so painful bad shots. Works for me.

Distance-wise, I couldn't really gauge whether I am getting more distance as it was really windy (headwind) at NSRCC just now but the ball doesn't balloon like my 33s so I guess I could be a little bit longer now. Only way to check is on the course using non-range balls.

Looks-wise, the 58s are really nice. Mizuno really got it right with the design of this iron. It's not a blade like the 33s (which IMHO is really a thing of beauty), but when you address the ball, you can't see the cavity and even though it has a little offset, you can still align yourself very nicely.

All said and done, the litmus test is still on the course....I can't wait to try them out this Sunday.

Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: MP58 rocks....but please get fitted.   MP58 rocks....but please get fitted. I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 9:20 pm

Congrats bro.........its always nice to find the ONE
Back to top Go down
mizzy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
mizzy

PostSubject: Re: MP58 rocks....but please get fitted.   MP58 rocks....but please get fitted. I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 9:24 pm

nice review. thanks!
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: MP58 rocks....but please get fitted.   MP58 rocks....but please get fitted. I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 9:56 pm

Hi Hammy,

Welcome to GR! And great going there in picking up the beauty.

Enjoy! cheers
Back to top Go down
Gray
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Gray

PostSubject: Re: MP58 rocks....but please get fitted.   MP58 rocks....but please get fitted. I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 10:05 pm

Happy for u. I havent found the one for me. Went to isetan golf sale today. Tried the burner plus stiff shaft. The guy say ok for me once i buy and go range and practise, the stiff will suit me. Kns , just cos he doesnt have the regular shaft now means i have to practise into the stiff shaft. These sales people realy like to confuse me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MP58 rocks....but please get fitted.   MP58 rocks....but please get fitted. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MP58 rocks....but please get fitted.
Page 1 of 1