Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

callaway x forged vs mp58 help!!

Go down 
+6
blee67
golfool2009
Technospaz
asahi
Turbo
dreamwaters
10 posters
AuthorMessage
dreamwaters
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
dreamwaters

callaway x forged vs mp58 help!! Empty
PostSubject: callaway x forged vs mp58 help!!   callaway x forged vs mp58 help!! I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 09, 2013 10:14 pm

Hi... 

I am currently playing mp58... After seeing it at pan west, and the good reviews of the x forged. Now I am lusting it. 

Any bros out there is playing the x forged and any feedback on it?
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: callaway x forged vs mp58 help!!   callaway x forged vs mp58 help!! I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 09, 2013 10:26 pm

Why dun u try the demo club? Goto any range with Pan West outlet like Jurong CC, Orchid CC, Keppel CC, etc., am sure they have demo 7i available for testing ... Nothing beats trying it up yourself, bro ...
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: callaway x forged vs mp58 help!!   callaway x forged vs mp58 help!! I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 09, 2013 10:37 pm

Soft like butter. Looks at address damn sleek.
Mai tu liao
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: callaway x forged vs mp58 help!!   callaway x forged vs mp58 help!! I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 10, 2013 9:13 am

I think you can't go wrong with Mizunos. I'm curious - are you looking to change because the 58s don't work for you? If they don't, then I think the Callies may be a bit tricky too. However, if you're just itching for new gear, then the Callies are fine Smile

But between the 2, I'd stick with the 58s. Great clubs Smile
Back to top Go down
golfool2009
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
golfool2009

PostSubject: Re: callaway x forged vs mp58 help!!   callaway x forged vs mp58 help!! I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 10, 2013 9:25 am

I used to game the mp-58s but I've only tried hitting the x-forged on the range a couple of times....I feel that the x-forged set is definitely softer but it's not easier to hit...i'm not sure you'd gain anything by switching except that they are much sexier looking clubs...the bling factor is very high.....and the shiok factor on a sweet centre hit is fantastic...as you know, the mp58s are not as soft as the true forged mizuno sets.....

I switched to the callaway x hot pros...and i feel they are a downgrade in terms of buttery softness as these clubs aren't forged....but they are a significant upgrade in terms of forgiveness.....on the mp58s, the loss of distance for less than perfect hits was my biggest gripe due to inconsistent ball striking....not so with the x hot pros where the loss of distance is minimal......
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: callaway x forged vs mp58 help!!   callaway x forged vs mp58 help!! I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 10, 2013 9:28 am

golfool2009 wrote:
I used to game the mp-58s but I've only tried hitting the x-forged on the range a couple of times....I feel that the x-forged set is definitely softer but it's not easier to hit...i'm not sure you'd gain anything by switching except that they are much sexier looking clubs...the bling factor is very high.....and the shiok factor on a sweet centre hit is fantastic...as you know, the mp58s are not as soft as the true forged mizuno sets.....

I switched to the callaway x hot pros...and i feel they are a downgrade in terms of buttery softness as these clubs aren't forged....but they are a significant upgrade in terms of forgiveness.....on the mp58s, the loss of distance for less than perfect hits was my biggest gripe due to inconsistent ball striking....not so with the x hot pros where the loss of distance is minimal......
To put things into perspective, golfool plays a mid to high 70s game.
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: callaway x forged vs mp58 help!!   callaway x forged vs mp58 help!! I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 10, 2013 9:37 am

Technospaz wrote:
golfool2009 wrote:

Sorry TS, I thot he plays to a low to mid 70s game?
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: callaway x forged vs mp58 help!!   callaway x forged vs mp58 help!! I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 10, 2013 10:00 am

blee wrote:
Technospaz wrote:
golfool2009 wrote:

Sorry TS, I thot he plays to a low to mid 70s game?
I was adding some humility.
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: callaway x forged vs mp58 help!!   callaway x forged vs mp58 help!! I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 10, 2013 10:28 am

Sometimes I wonder, if you look at the irons used by the guys in the forum scoring regularly in the 70s and low 80s, how many would you find using blades/musclebacks?
Back to top Go down
dreamwaters
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
dreamwaters

PostSubject: Re: callaway x forged vs mp58 help!!   callaway x forged vs mp58 help!! I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 10, 2013 10:29 am

Technospaz wrote:
I think you can't go wrong with Mizunos. I'm curious - are you looking to change because the 58s don't work for you? If they don't, then I think the Callies may be a bit tricky too. However, if you're just itching for new gear, then the Callies are fine Smile

But between the 2, I'd stick with the 58s. Great clubs Smile
Well it's the lusting for something cosmetically sexy... 

but thanks for this advice... You have woke me up from my dream. I just happen to felt that the callies might be friendlier.. if it's not going to help, might as well stay.  

Thanks bro...
Back to top Go down
dreamwaters
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
dreamwaters

PostSubject: Re: callaway x forged vs mp58 help!!   callaway x forged vs mp58 help!! I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 10, 2013 10:33 am

golfool2009 wrote:

Xhot pro... Hhmm sounds like a new option... 

Thanks for the perspective
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: callaway x forged vs mp58 help!!   callaway x forged vs mp58 help!! I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 10, 2013 10:36 am

Derek wrote:
Sometimes I wonder, if you look at the irons used by the guys in the forum scoring regularly in the 70s and low 80s, how many would you find using blades/musclebacks?
I am sorry, I cannot comment, I am not in that category...
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: callaway x forged vs mp58 help!!   callaway x forged vs mp58 help!! I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 10, 2013 10:39 am

blee wrote:
Derek wrote:
I asked you to look at their clubs ... not play like them What a Face 

btw ... when are u coming up to KL to play golf with me?
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: callaway x forged vs mp58 help!!   callaway x forged vs mp58 help!! I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 10, 2013 10:41 am

Derek wrote:
blee wrote:
Derek wrote:

Looks likely early next year.. .this year peak season starting... sian...

When are you coming down south?  The gang waiting for you here too!
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: callaway x forged vs mp58 help!!   callaway x forged vs mp58 help!! I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 10, 2013 11:43 am

Derek wrote:
blee wrote:
Derek wrote:

i am coming up again this month end.....

1st/2nd Nov looks good for me....

btw, i believe u are in THAT category....
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: callaway x forged vs mp58 help!!   callaway x forged vs mp58 help!! I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 10, 2013 2:04 pm

1st Nov sounds good ... I leave for Bangkok on 2nd Nov ... looks like the only window

Slinger ... you see me too up lah ... trying to get into THAT category ... somehow my luck not that consistent

looking forward to the game

let's sort out the details via whatsapp
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: callaway x forged vs mp58 help!!   callaway x forged vs mp58 help!! I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 10, 2013 5:01 pm

Dreamwaters, allow me to throw a spanner into the mix since I've trialed the MP58s, X Hot Pro, and the X Forged.

The MP58s I tried a long time ago with a different swing from now, so perhaps my thoughts may be a little biased now versus then. But from what I can recall, they didn't quite do it for me. I had difficulty launching the irons and impact was somewhat on the harsh side for a forged club, more so on mishits, which resulted in quite some distance loss as well. I couldn't get my regular distances out of the clubs no matter what I tried to do. Again, a large part of that experience probably had to do with my swing.

Then last year at a demo, I tried both the X Hot Pro and the X Forged. The X Hot Pro was definitely more forgiving on mishits but I couldn't quite dial in the impact, the X Forged on the other hand, had more feel and was easier for me to dial in the impact even though mishits cost me a little more in distance. I was curious why and the explanation I got was that it had to do with the sole design of both clubs. Now, I had no intention of buying into any clubs at that time, but after experiencing the fantastic feel of the X Forged....

I'm currently gaming the X Forged 2013 and can't say enough good things about them. They are surprisingly forgiving for the type of irons that they are, a player's cavity; and perfect impact is a soft sweet yet slightly crisp feel. When I'm swinging well enough, the addictive feel at impact makes me want to just go hard at it for more of that feel. The shaft contributes a large part too I will say. NS Pro950 is the stock shaft for Asian specs and Globally it's the Project X PXI 5.5. The PXIs felt better at impact with less vibration than the NS Pros even though the ball flight was lower. I went with the PXIs but eventually switched them out for the Project X 95 Flighted 5.0. I still retained the shaft feel of the Project Xs, got the higher ball flight of the NS Pros which I needed (my swing speed is a slow 85mph) and I now don't have to work as hard with the irons through 18 holes.

As an added bonus, the X Forged is one of those rare irons that makes me want to practice more because of the sweet feel. I don't get it all the time, but I'm lusting after that soft crisp impact every time I put my hands on the X Forged irons. Even when I don't flush it, the irons surprisingly don't sting and punish me hands as much as other players clubs, making practice more pleasurable. As a gauge, my distance loss on mishits range from half to a full club. My irons have been the worst part of my game for years, I hardly ever touched my 5 iron.

Additonally, I've also gone gone from a lighter 82 gram graphite shaft to a heavier 100 gram steel shaft. Go figure.

Thanks to the X Forged irons and Project X 95 flighted shafts, I've found my holy grail and become a better iron player overall.

I think you owe it to yourself to demo the X forged versus your MP 58s to make the best informed decision. Or else you'll never really know. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: callaway x forged vs mp58 help!!   callaway x forged vs mp58 help!! I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 10, 2013 7:10 pm

Birdman wrote:
Dreamwaters, allow me to throw a spanner into the mix since I've trialed the MP58s, X Hot Pro, and the X Forged.

The MP58s I tried a long time ago with a different swing from now, so perhaps my thoughts may be a little biased now versus then. But from what I can recall, they didn't quite do it for me. I had difficulty launching the irons and impact was somewhat on the harsh side for a forged club, more so on mishits, which resulted in quite some distance loss as well. I couldn't get my regular distances out of the clubs no matter what I tried to do. Again, a large part of that experience probably had to do with my swing.

Then last year at a demo, I tried both the X Hot Pro and the X Forged. The X Hot Pro was definitely more forgiving on mishits but I couldn't quite dial in the impact, the X Forged on the other hand, had more feel and was easier for me to dial in the impact even though mishits cost me a little more in distance. I was curious why and the explanation I got was that it had to do with the sole design of both clubs. Now, I had no intention of buying into any clubs at that time, but after experiencing the fantastic feel of the X Forged....

I'm currently gaming the X Forged 2013 and can't say enough good things about them. They are surprisingly forgiving for the type of irons that they are, a player's cavity; and perfect impact is a soft sweet yet slightly crisp feel. When I'm swinging well enough, the addictive feel at impact makes me want to just go hard at it for more of that feel. The shaft contributes a large part too I will say. NS Pro950 is the stock shaft for Asian specs and Globally it's the Project X PXI 5.5. The PXIs felt better at impact with less vibration than the NS Pros even though the ball flight was lower. I went with the PXIs but eventually switched them out for the Project X 95 Flighted 5.0. I still retained the shaft feel of the Project Xs, got the higher ball flight of the NS Pros which I needed (my swing speed is a slow 85mph) and I now don't have to work as hard with the irons through 18 holes.

As an added bonus, the X Forged is one of those rare irons that makes me want to practice more because of the sweet feel. I don't get it all the time, but I'm lusting after that soft crisp impact every time I put my hands on the X Forged irons. Even when I don't flush it, the irons surprisingly don't sting and punish me hands as much as other players clubs, making practice more pleasurable. As a gauge, my distance loss on mishits range from half to a full club. My irons have been the worst part of my game for years, I hardly ever touched my 5 iron.

Additonally, I've also gone gone from a lighter 82 gram graphite shaft to a heavier 100 gram steel shaft. Go figure.

Thanks to the X Forged irons and Project X 95 flighted shafts, I've found my holy grail and become a better iron player overall.

I think you owe it to yourself to demo the X forged versus your MP 58s to make the best informed decision. Or else you'll never really know. Very Happy

to summarise.....

Callaway X Forged Ho Ah!!!

Mizuno cannot smell the smoke.....

study
Back to top Go down
zhenxua
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
zhenxua

PostSubject: Re: callaway x forged vs mp58 help!!   callaway x forged vs mp58 help!! I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 10, 2013 7:36 pm

slinger wrote:
Derek wrote:
blee wrote:
Derek wrote:

i am coming up again this month end.....

1st/2nd Nov looks good for me....

btw, i believe u are in THAT category....
if i can get away from work, i will try to join you guys

need to put in some practice for the novice cup
Back to top Go down
dreamwaters
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
dreamwaters

PostSubject: Re: callaway x forged vs mp58 help!!   callaway x forged vs mp58 help!! I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 11, 2013 12:22 am

Thanks bro birdman..... You have inspired me greatly! I will go pan west and get a demo unit!!

Birdman wrote:

Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: callaway x forged vs mp58 help!!   callaway x forged vs mp58 help!! I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 11, 2013 10:48 am

Good on you! Glad I could be of some help. Very Happy

I couldn't handle the MP 58s but the X Forged works well for me, which means that the Callies should be a piece of cake for you since you are already gaming the Mizzies.

Try both shafts to see which works best for you, and remember that the Projext X PXIs play about a flex stiffer than normal. I was told the PXIs 5.5 were stiff regular, but in reality they play much stiffer.

Keep us updated on how your demo turns out. Wink 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: callaway x forged vs mp58 help!!   callaway x forged vs mp58 help!! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

callaway x forged vs mp58 help!!
Page 1 of 1