Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How to fix erratic game?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
matoonia
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

How to fix erratic game?  Empty
PostSubject: How to fix erratic game?    How to fix erratic game?  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2017 10:57 am

In each of the last 3 games that I played, I've had almost every conceivable score recorded on the card: bird, par, +1, +2, +3, +4 and in 2 games +5 too

On 4 consecutive holes, I can go Bird, +3, par, +4. And it's not because of penalties. I don't (can't) shape my shots and so I just try to hit straight. On 2 consecutive swings I can go from hook to slice. And I can also go from 1 putt to 4 putts on the next hole. I feel I keep adjusting hole to hole, swing to swing.

Do you know of friends who play like this? Is it mental or technical part?
Back to top Go down
blackpool_04
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to fix erratic game?    How to fix erratic game?  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2017 8:02 pm

i know your pain! i sort of have a similar issue; i can play 80+ for one game, and then 100+ the very next game. 

i think this sort of thing is very personal, and it could be mental or technical or even a combination of both. just to share, for my case, it seems my issue is technical. friends have pointed out that my head drops a lot on my backswing. i think subconsciously, i want to rotate as much as possible to maximise the power, but that somehow translates into my hips rotating too much and my whole body dipping down. this of course means that i often have a lot of trouble striking the ball well and consistently, since that would be dependent on my body coming back up to the correct position in time to strike the ball well. 

so on the days that my timing is good, i play ok (or even play well, by my standards). but on the days that my timing is off, i feel like giving up the game!

you may want to get a friend to take a video of your swing, and then see whether you or your friend can identify any issues or problems with your technique. alternatively, you can consider consulting a coach. 

assuming the conclusion is that your technique is fine, then it probably means your issue is a mental one?
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: How to fix erratic game?    How to fix erratic game?  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2017 9:16 pm

If the swing is fundamentally sound
Unlikely to have such big swings in score because it is a repetitive swing

If swing is a bit quirky and dependent on timing or good hand eye coordination, then it will be tough

None of us seen you on course or observe how You consistently hit balls at the range

Coaching is the way to go, and select a coach that also does on-course lessons so that he / she can observe your game (course management, Club selection, etc)
Back to top Go down
matoonia
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to fix erratic game?    How to fix erratic game?  I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2017 9:58 am

Thanks for all your kind feedback. Yes my mates and I also find it queer to have such big swings in score within a couple of minutes, barring penalties.

I think pocketace might be on to something as he pointed out being repetitive. When I go to a coach usually all is well, just like when I'm on the range usually all goes well. I guess maybe the next best thing to do is to get a coach to play 18h with me to see what's wrong ..
Back to top Go down
mcmug
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to fix erratic game?    How to fix erratic game?  I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2017 3:23 pm

matoonia wrote:
Thanks for all your kind feedback. Yes my mates and I also find it queer to have such big swings in score within a couple of minutes, barring penalties.

I think pocketace might be on to something as he pointed out being repetitive. When I go to a coach usually all is well, just like when I'm on the range usually all goes well. I guess maybe the next best thing to do is to get a coach to play 18h with me to see what's wrong ..

For on course coaching, trying Allen Kelly of Laguna.  He did his lessons in the World Classic course (under reno, but some holes are available).  Nothing beats hitting balls off real turf and proper balls.  PM me for his contact if you are interested.  He can play a few holes with you during weekdays in the Masters course too.
Back to top Go down
matoonia
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to fix erratic game?    How to fix erratic game?  I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2017 3:30 pm

mcmug wrote:
matoonia wrote:

For on course coaching, trying Allen Kelly of Laguna.  He did his lessons in the World Classic course (under reno, but some holes are available).  Nothing beats hitting balls off real turf and proper balls.  PM me for his contact if you are interested.  He can play a few holes with you during weekdays in the Masters course too.
Thks bro.

Laguna is a tough course. I think will come back with a big score haha
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to fix erratic game?    How to fix erratic game?  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to fix erratic game?
Page 1 of 1