Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Golf Travel Bag

Go down 
+11
Roystonnn
Fatboy
ditt
G_Man
samT
Ssquirrel
kopiO
Dstruc
watermyforrest
nientsu
Technospaz
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

Golf Travel Bag Empty
PostSubject: Golf Travel Bag   Golf Travel Bag I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 10:07 am

Folks, any of you have those golf travel bags? The ones which are used to pack your entire bag when you want to check in your bag on flight? Any recommendations as to brand etc?
Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

Golf Travel Bag Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Travel Bag   Golf Travel Bag I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 10:11 am

Porterline is quite good. Its a hardcase. The pockets (for balls etc) is detachable. So you can keep your golf balls and other stuff in the luaguage instead.

The BagBoy ones which they sell in Isetan are the nicest looking to me. Silver in color and sleek looking. Bad thing is that its very small.
Back to top Go down
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
watermyforrest

Golf Travel Bag Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Travel Bag   Golf Travel Bag I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 10:11 am

Any prices?
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

Golf Travel Bag Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Travel Bag   Golf Travel Bag I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 10:13 am

I saw an Ogio one which was selling for about $200 and wondered if it was good.

Golf Travel Bag Stjacket_fire_500x500
(From Ogio)

It's the Straight Jacket model and seemed quite well-padded.

However, there were also other bags which weren't quite as expensive but admittedly, didn't feel quite as sturdy either.
Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

Golf Travel Bag Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Travel Bag   Golf Travel Bag I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 10:15 am

i think ard 200 plus region....
Back to top Go down
Dstruc
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Dstruc

Golf Travel Bag Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Travel Bag   Golf Travel Bag I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 10:27 am

there are alot of brands these days, check golfhouse. I saw a few last week...price ranging from 100-200+. Get a well padded one.
Back to top Go down
kopiO
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kopiO

Golf Travel Bag Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Travel Bag   Golf Travel Bag I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 10:30 am

wow... and i was thinking very hard whether to buy the perry gear one at $29.90....
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

Golf Travel Bag Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Travel Bag   Golf Travel Bag I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 10:31 am

Wow, didn't know the Ogio straightjacket so expensive; I have one, but I'm sure I paid <$100 when I was in the US.
The Ogio is pretty nice but all soft cases will not help protect your clubs as well as a hard case, but are definitely easier to store when not in use.

Previous to getting the Ogio, I've used cheaper travel bags, and the clubs survived without problems too.
What I do is to wrap a towel around the club heads and if you really kiasu, they sell some kind of "extension stick thing" or you can put a broom into the golf bag to protect the clubs, esp the driver. I kiasu, sometimes put the cardboard box in the bag (those that the clubs ship in) as extra protection.
Back to top Go down
samT
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
samT

Golf Travel Bag Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Travel Bag   Golf Travel Bag I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 10:35 am

Bro Techno,

I have a straight jacket. Among my travel bags, this one is the best - tough, durable, sufficient space and stylo. Only downside is weight (if that is one of your consideration when flying). I think you can also find cheap ones (<$50) that can protect the bags well, just remember to pad up the upper half so that your club heads are well cushioned.

If you are unlike me who liked to stuff all sorts of barang barang into my traval bag (which mean it will be heavy and thus need to be very durable to throw around), then the bagboys and porterlines are good. No need an additional bag, but strictly just for clubs only. In fcat, you probably pay less for one of these than the straight jacket. I think the den has one or two porterline available.
Back to top Go down
G_Man
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
G_Man

Golf Travel Bag Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Travel Bag   Golf Travel Bag I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 10:38 am

I have both the straightjacket and the Ogio Mammoth.
Of the two, I definitely prefer the Mammoth for a couple of reasons:
1. it can be stood vertically up and can be rolled around while vertical.
You wont appreciate this fact till you are in queue at the airport checking in.
2. It is a 1 bag fit all! there is a shoe compartment that is detachable.

Cons of the Mammoth:
1. Its about the size of a car's boot. So hard to get it and out. Depending on the car...
2. Stuffing everything into it makes it heavy.

Pros of the StraightJacket:
1. Lighters bag
2. easier to get in and out of the car.

Cons:
1. Lacks protection
2. Cant store nearly as much as the Mammoth.

In any event, buy this stuff off the internet. The retails prices here are madness. for the price of the Straightjacket in the shops here, you can buy 2 off the internet.

fyi: the Mammoth goes for $800+ if you buy it here.
Back to top Go down
ditt
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
ditt

Golf Travel Bag Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Travel Bag   Golf Travel Bag I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 10:51 am

Hi there,

These golf travel bags, are mostly designed by American firms. Which is such an enigma actually, since most American golfers prefer stand bags to caddie or staff bags. Looking at the sizes of most of these wheeled travel bags, you'd think they were big enough for TWO stand bags or a 12" staff bag, if they make those anymore.

I think it'll be helpful to consider a few things before you buy your bag. Are you seeking protection? If so, from what?

1. If you are seeking protection from club breakage, the it's best that you go with a hard case or one of those travel bags with a hard shell rain hood. The rest of the bag also should be of sturdy and stiff material. No matter how heavy duty the cover layer is (Cordura, Nylon, etc), it does nothing to protect from breakage. You'll need a stiff and hard cover for that. Perhaps Polycarbonate?
2. If you are seeking protection from dirt, stains and just need a coverall to keep the loose things in your bag from falling out or to mildly deter theft, then its best that you go with a Japanese style travel cover. They are light and can be folded into a 10" netbook size that makes it easy to carry. In accesibility to golf courses for most Japanese golfers makes them think very hard about travel practicalities for their golf bags.

Do remember that most of these days, airlines hardly give you that "free golf bag" check in policy anymore. The weight of your golf bag counts towards your "20kgs". Using a big and bulky travle cover can add at least 2 kgs to the weight of your golf bag. Also remember that the bulkier your golf bag, the more you'll have trouble fitting it into the transport vehicle at your airport of destination. Imagine 4 of those pro style travel covers filled with golf bags and shoes with 4 golfers and their luggage.

My opinion, find the smallest and lightest travel cover that provides the protection you need. Gof bags are bulky enough on their own. I added a link for your reference. Taylor Made JAPAN, Adidas, and many others also make these style of golf bags for the Japanese market.

http://www.mizuno.jp/catalog/product/45AT01270/1290040050/

http://www.edwinwattsgolf.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&productId=77002&langId=-1&catalogId=10001
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

Golf Travel Bag Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Travel Bag   Golf Travel Bag I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 1:55 pm

Thanks for the awesome feedback folks!! I really appreciate it. I'll do more research. I'm not in immediate need for a travel bag but would like one handy in case I do decide to jet off to the Caribbean for a game with some Playboy bunnies... oops, reality and dreams becoming blurred again.
Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

Golf Travel Bag Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Travel Bag   Golf Travel Bag I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 3:19 pm

Technospaz wrote:
Thanks for the awesome feedback folks!! I really appreciate it. I'll do more research. I'm not in immediate need for a travel bag but would like one handy in case I do decide to jet off to the Caribbean for a game with some Playboy bunnies... oops, reality and dreams becoming blurred again.

If that happens.....I am sure you will be happy doing some stuff on the course that you never done before.......

E.g. Hoping your drive land in a pond, and then asking the playboy bunny gals to go into the pond and pick for u.......
Back to top Go down
Fatboy
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Fatboy

Golf Travel Bag Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Travel Bag   Golf Travel Bag I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 3:43 pm

Hi,

I don't play much even in SIngapore/Malaysia but been to a few places by plane to play (Korea, Bali, Penang, Jkt, etc in Asia).

As advised, airline does not give 'free' golf bag check-in anymore for below Gold members; SQ will charge you 6 kg excess for a 15 kg golf bag if your own lugguage is already 20 kg;

But if the flight is not full, excess weight for gold bag can be free as a gesture by the ground staff.

I am using a Maxfli stand bag and a Perry Gear travel bag (cheap one that I got from their sales); it has so far been good for me.

For irons and woods, I make sure that I have good covers for them and have the golf towels to wrap around them inside the bag.

My clubs are not expensive or forged ones (but them are still my best ones Laughing )but so far, this works the best for me in term of max protection for my clubs, lightest option for check-in for airlines and compact enough for airport transfer at destination.

Technospaz wrote:
Folks, any of you have those golf travel bags? The ones which are used to pack your entire bag when you want to check in your bag on flight? Any recommendations as to brand etc?
Back to top Go down
http://www.permatex.com
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
watermyforrest

Golf Travel Bag Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Travel Bag   Golf Travel Bag I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 5:18 pm

nientsu wrote:

E.g. Hoping your drive land in a pond, and then asking the playboy bunny gals to go into the pond and pick for u.......

hmm... wet bunnies... albino
Topic OFF
Back to top Go down
Roystonnn
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

Golf Travel Bag Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Travel Bag   Golf Travel Bag I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 5:20 pm

Suddenly had this stupid question..

Bunnies know how to swim?
Looking at their limbs, doesn't seem like they know how to swim.
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

Golf Travel Bag Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Travel Bag   Golf Travel Bag I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 5:27 pm

Roystonnn wrote:
Suddenly had this stupid question..

Bunnies know how to swim?
Looking at their limbs, doesn't seem like they know how to swim.

If i had bunnies, i don't care whether they know how to swim or not.... Razz
Back to top Go down
Roystonnn
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

Golf Travel Bag Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Travel Bag   Golf Travel Bag I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 5:44 pm

Bring...back...bring..back..please bring back my bunny to me.. to me..
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

Golf Travel Bag Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Travel Bag   Golf Travel Bag I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 11:55 pm

eerr Jason...sorry it took more than 12 hours to reply...we finally got the distributionship for these babies....

comes in both the hard and soft cover, removable shoebag, trolley base and 3 different colours, changeable lock combinations, 1 year warranty....and yes price ask YL.

Golf Travel Bag 3856442238_e198be2259_o

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

Golf Travel Bag Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Travel Bag   Golf Travel Bag I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2009 12:04 am

nice bags... will drop by tomorrow to see... Smile
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

Golf Travel Bag Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Travel Bag   Golf Travel Bag I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2009 3:12 am

juz some question eric,

the bags above, can they be locked?
what's the weight of the bad itself?

i have been having problem when travelling to BKK... overweight issue.... my golf bag plus the traveller's bag are really heavy... many times i only bring 9 clubs or less... dat shoik...
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

Golf Travel Bag Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Travel Bag   Golf Travel Bag I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2009 6:58 am

Very nice. I'll come by and take a look. Thanks, Eric! Smile
Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

Golf Travel Bag Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Travel Bag   Golf Travel Bag I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2009 7:24 am

I have frens using this. From wat I know, there is about 3 - 4 number combination lock to lock the hard case cover to the bag. In fact, if you look closely at the right hand bag, you can actually see the locks at the bottom of the hard top.

Some models, the pouches below are detachable. I wouldnt say its the prettiest bag around, but its defiantely is useful one that meets one's travelling needs.
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

Golf Travel Bag Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Travel Bag   Golf Travel Bag I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2009 8:03 am

bags on a slow ship and will be in sometime next week.

there is another model but not as hardy as this one.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

Golf Travel Bag Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Travel Bag   Golf Travel Bag I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2009 8:07 am

now no stock, right....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Golf Travel Bag Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Travel Bag   Golf Travel Bag I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Golf Travel Bag
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next